Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a ParaShuffler for a flinch hax based team, and settled on Zygarde. I'm having trouble with the fourth move though. I've currently got:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 atk (think I needsome speed, but don't know what to creep)
Impish Nature

- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Pain Split
- Earthquake/Substitute

Not sure what to use. Got Togekiss and Jirachi for other members so far, and wanted a scarfed EQ user for M.Manetric/Scarf Raikous I can't paralyse, who would be good for that (don't want another ice weak poke). I was also considering Klefki. Thoughts?

Not sure how I feel about Pain Split on Zygarde. Thanks to that huge HP stat of his, you'll have a hard time making good gains of the move.

If you want to take a less offensive route with him, I'd suggest:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

If you do want an offensive edge, just use the standard Parashuffler from the dex.

As far as pokemon not weak to ice with access to earthquake are concerned, you have a few options. Defensive Charizard X comes to mind as one of your better options, capable of dealing with both Raikou and Mega Manectric quite handily. Mamoswine is also an option, with the ability to set up crucial hazard support on the side.

Scarf Excadrill would also be an option, but he can't safely switch in onto M-Manectric. Similarly, banded Heracross would make great use of paralysis support, but can't break through Manectric at all.

If you can spare the mega slot and already have decent hazard support in mind, I'd probably go with Charizard. Not only does he pack some amazing resistances and that crucial Earthquake access, he can also burn targets that wouldn't benefit you much from being paralyzed.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Best nature and set for bisharp? All analyses are old.
Pursuit Trapper Set
Bisharp @ BlackGlasses / Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Swords Dance
Bisharp @ BlackGlasses / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I'm trying to get back into OU. Could someone give me a standard bulky offense team please?

1) Why is M-Sableye S rank? I haven't used him at all so I'm curious what makes him so good.

2) How did Mega Houndoom move up to B rank? Didn't he use to be much lower?

3) Is it ever really worth it to use M-Medicham when M-Lopunny exists? M-Medicham has bullet punch, psychic attacks, and pure power, but Lopunny is much faster, still has high attack, and has perfect coverage in normal+fighting+scrappy.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
1) Why is M-Sableye S rank? I haven't used him at all so I'm curious what makes him so good.

2) How did Mega Houndoom move up to B rank? Didn't he use to be much lower?

3) Is it ever really worth it to use M-Medicham when M-Lopunny exists? M-Medicham has bullet punch, psychic attacks, and pure power, but Lopunny is much faster, still has high attack, and has perfect coverage in normal+fighting+scrappy.
1. Mega Sableye is S rank because of the support it gives to stall team as in 1. overall control in the match (magic bounce reflects taunt, status, hazards) and 2. a win condition with the CM set
2. He used to be lower, but the NP set is really good at the moment, especially against stall.
3. The real reason Mega Medicham isn't used that much anymore isn't because of Mega Lopunny but because of Mega Gallade.

It's a bit hard to comment without knowing what your sets are, but at a quick glance, on Turn 4 - it was probably unnecessarily risky to stay in, as Porygon2 with the Eviolite walls a lot of his team, and Charizard was a completely safe switch. On Turn 7, it was much safer to go for roost, instead of predicting a Heatran switchin, as Zard-X was only at 30% health. That would have allowed you to repeatedly switch Zard-X into Scizor, instead of having to risk hitting Will-O-Wisp with Mew. On Turn 18, (assuming that's the Stealth Rock + Endeavour lead Mamoswine set), I would have gone for rocks, as your opponent appears to have no form of hazard removal, unless they are running Defog on CB Scizor. Setting up Volcarona on Turn 21 should not have worked, when your opponent had both a healthy Chansey and Heatran, as both of those pokemon commonly carry a status move on stall teams. I'm guessing Chansey had Stealth Rock (odd that your opponent never tried to set them up) as the 4th move, so their Heatran should have been running Toxic + Leftovers instead of a weird four attacks set. Once you saw that your opponent had no good way of dealing with Volcarona, and let you set up to +6, then it was essentially gg. I didn't check the latter half of the game very closely, but I'm not sure why the opponent decided to randomly sacrifice Scizor while attempting to PP stall Volcarona, as after that and Gengar fell, they lost their good answers to Mew.

Since Fourth Inversion pointed out the specific plays, I'll just touch on a couple of more general points:
  • If you're running a balanced team, I wouldn't use a suicide lead like Mamoswine. You usually want something sturdier that you can bring in repeatedly knowing that it can tank an attack, set rocks, and come back again later
  • In general, you shouldn't try setting up with a set-up sweeper if your opponent still has a hard counter waiting for it. You sort of lucked out since he seemed to lack any Toxic user, but setting up when your opponent has a counter often leads to your opponent getting a free turn.
I will say that I've never seen someone run what I hypothesize to be 4 attacks Expert Belt Heatran based on the fact it did about 74% to your Latios. Beyond what Fourth Inversion mentioned, I didn't see anything blatantly wrong (which is usually a sign of doing something right)

It's a bit hard to comment without knowing what your sets are, but at a quick glance, on Turn 4 - it was probably unnecessarily risky to stay in, as Porygon2 with the Eviolite walls a lot of his team, and Charizard was a completely safe switch. On Turn 7, it was much safer to go for roost, instead of predicting a Heatran switchin, as Zard-X was only at 30% health. That would have allowed you to repeatedly switch Zard-X into Scizor, instead of having to risk hitting Will-O-Wisp with Mew. On Turn 18, (assuming that's the Stealth Rock + Endeavour lead Mamoswine set), I would have gone for rocks, as your opponent appears to have no form of hazard removal, unless they are running Defog on CB Scizor. Setting up Volcarona on Turn 21 should not have worked, when your opponent had both a healthy Chansey and Heatran, as both of those pokemon commonly carry a status move on stall teams. I'm guessing Chansey had Stealth Rock (odd that your opponent never tried to set them up) as the 4th move, so their Heatran should have been running Toxic + Leftovers instead of a weird four attacks set. Once you saw that your opponent had no good way of dealing with Volcarona, and let you set up to +6, then it was essentially gg. I didn't check the latter half of the game very closely, but I'm not sure why the opponent decided to randomly sacrifice Scizor while attempting to PP stall Volcarona, as after that and Gengar fell, they lost their good answers to Mew.
Thanks for the heads up! Actually my Mamo has Stone Edge instead of Stealth Rock - I don't have Stealth Rock on any of my Pokes. Also, he doesn't seem to have had any status moves on his Chansey nor Heatran - but I agree, a peson does need Toxic on Heatran to reliably stop Volcarona. My team's setup is described in this thread:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-balance-team.3528095/

So please take a look and give me some input, thanks in advance :)

1. Mega Sableye is S rank because of the support it gives to stall team as in 1. overall control in the match (magic bounce reflects taunt, status, hazards) and 2. a win condition with the CM set
2. He used to be lower, but the NP set is really good at the moment, especially against stall.
3. The real reason Mega Medicham isn't used that much anymore isn't because of Mega Lopunny but because of Mega Gallade.
Ah, got it. Mega Gallade slipped my mind totally.

Whats the best stallbreaker heatran set with evs? Im using it on a stall team as well if that mskes a difference.
At present, some players are running very fast Heatrans, to be able to Taunt as many pokemon as possible, including the standard 152 Spe Stallbreaker Mew set. I'm not sure if you'd always want to run it with that much speed on full stall, as with a Timid nature, you miss out on a fair bit of special bulk. Magma Storm is a viable alternative to Lava Plume, as between Taunt, Toxic, and the residual trapping damage, you can remove walls from the game, or get a free switch into a teammate.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume / Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
If it's gonna be stall-breaker Heatran just use Magma Storm. Lava Plume isn't breaking any sort of stall and Magma Storm in conjunction with Taunt is what will get you results.

ive seen omastar is B rank in the VR thread and all they talk about is the specs rain set. Muh question is : is the double hazard stacking set viable too in OU as it is in RU? And if not is there a good double stacker in OU(SR+spikes) that is fit for Hyper Offense ? (skarm has both but isnt a suicide lead).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ive seen omastar is B rank in the VR thread and all they talk about is the specs rain set. Muh question is : is the double hazard stacking set viable too in OU as it is in RU? And if not is there a good double stacker in OU(SR+spikes) that is fit for Hyper Offense ? (skarm has both but isnt a suicide lead).
No, Omastar isn't viable as a hazard setter - its really best off with Specs on rain teams or LO if you want to switch up moves.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So there are no double hazard setters in OU?
Technically, yes - Scolipede has access to Spikes and Tspikes, but its better off using a LO set or one of the two hazards. Dont think there are any viable dual hazard setters (dont use dual hazards ferrothorn and forry is ass).

edit: @ below thats a good set, missed it :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)