Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

Hmm well it cut me off at 29 battle for some reason. I did lose my internet connection briefly during one battle, I guess thats why. So I finished at 19-10 or 19-11 because of the d/c. I'm really happy with how I did, this is only the second competition I've entered. My team consisted of: mega gyarados, mega mawile, focus sash breloom, sturdy magnezone with hp ice, bulk-up bp blaziken, and choice scarf salamence. He did really well as everyone expected the mega-evolution. I stuck thunderfang on him at the last minute and it paid off, I nailed a couple of gyarados, got an azumarill on the switch and put some dents in the omnipresent milotics. I used gyarados in most every battle, it had dd/waterfall/eq/taunt. As well as standard breloom, and the salamence. The other three didnt see much use. I regret choosing magnezone over manetric, he was fairly useless.

Here's my team, finished around 1670-1680 with 23 wins and 7 losses. Did really bad on the first day because I was still getting use to the 3DS. A lot of accidents such as misclicks and forgetting to Mega Evolve and not knowing the metagame.

Machamp really do much since he was suppose to be there for Mega Aggron but I never saw any. Gyarados also didn't do much and actually cost me the battle when i switched it into Competitive Milotic.

MVP: Gardevoir for countering Blaziken and generally hitting hard and fast, I think I brought Gardevoir on all my teams

Surprises: Final Gambit Ninjask, Eviolite Vigoroth, Bulk Up Baton Pass Max Defence Blaziken (when it passes to Mega Metagross that's GG)

Overall, awesome tournament and can't wait till we can see the rankings!

Tell that to the guy who lost his Metagross to a critical-paralyzing thunderbolt and then suffers through a paralysis turn right after that making sure his Metagross dies with my Magnezone after Rocky Helmet damage. :/

Some times the RNG appears to be a voo-doo demon, alright.
Or my Cradily, who got crited by a Play Rough right before he was about to lay down some Storm Drain enhanced smack-down on an Azumarill. Or to my Sableye, Hopskinville, who got skewered by a wayward critical Scald. I hate that stupid Milotic. And I'm still not satisfied even when I beat the darn thing in the Vs. Recorder.
It sucks when a battle is determined not by skill, but by a lucky crit!! Sometimes, i wish they didn't exist at all!

upload_2015-1-25_21-33-34.png

11W-4L [1 was D/C] ~ 1600 BR

Was my first competitive tourny and I had a lot of fun. It's been about a year since I've adjusted to the 3v3 Singles format, and while I think 4v4 would be better, I do like it a lot.

The core trio I ended up bring more often than not was Magnezone-Zangoose-Mega_Mawile with Gyarados subbing in for Magnezone every now and then. I really wanted to use Kingdra more often since I had a serious fire weakness team wide, but it had the wrong item (Razor CLAW, c is for crit and f is for flinch). Magnezone normally lead and normally got a KO before dying where psychologically a person brings out their most offensive set-up mon which Zangoose promptly would gank with Final Gambit (gimmicky as shit move). And then M-Mawile would normally clinch the win with priority, Fairy Type Pwnage, and Huge Power. If I hadn't invested in HP with her though she'd have died more frequently, and I'd have lost a lot more battles. One battle in particular came down to 8 HP and a priority sucker punch.

Magnezone and Zangoose weren't perfectly bred (4 or 3 IVs) and their items were just tacked on last moment so I could actually battle. As such its incredibly ironic that they were MVPs on my team.

Last edited:
^^ I absolutely love Heracross and Kingdra. As a Gentwoer, I love it when they get some love. And yes, Final Gambit. You wily coyote bastard. Glad I didn't have to deal with that.

Now, I can't seem to figure out how to directly post my team like everyone else has done. Too bad, since that seems more effective than typing them.

cant say,Thx for the solution, really appreciate this much needed info! Anyway, I really enjoyed this competition and there is not really much to complain about a 21:9 outcome, still don´t now my rating, but I guess it´s a bit over 1600. The first two fights where a bit of a letdown, first opponent thought he could save himself from a ratingloss by cutting off the power when my Ninetails was about to burn his Breloom (last pokémon) to ashes, all he actually did was taking away my joy for winning my first fight of the tournament! My second opponent conceded after the first turn! I ripped Life Orb of his Mightyena with Donphan´s Knock Off and that´s all what happend in this fight -.- But most of the battles where quite exciting and my 9:1 first day got me really hyped for the next two days! I got surprised once by Facade-Mence on the second day and regreted not playing it myself, holly sh**, was that thing a steamroller! Here´s my Team if you are interested:

Azumarill
Adamant
Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
252 attack, 252 HP, 6 def
Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Superpower

Donphan
Adamant
Assault West
Sturdy
252 HP, 252 attack, 6 p.def
Earthquake
Knock Off
Ice Shard
Endeavor

Sableye
Impish
Leftovers
Prankster
252 HP, 252 def, 6 sp.def
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Recover
Foul Play

Ninetails
Timid
Life Orb
Drought
252 speed, 252 sp. attack, 6 HP
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Hypnosis

Metagross

Adamant
Air Balloon
Clear Body
252 HP, 252 attack, 6 sp.def
Meteor Mash
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Bullet Punch

Salamence
Jolly
Salamencite
Intimidate
252 attack, 252 speed, 6 HP
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Return
Earthquake

^^ Well, I would say Azumarill and Sableye were more or less staples in this competition, saw them on most teams! Funny thing: Guess what´s my counter for those two...Ninetails! It was a flash of wit one day before competition-start (thx for making breeding so easy, nintendo^^) The fox was quite ferocious on all the Sableyes, Azumarills and even Milotics I saw and it´s so nice to get a free switch in a Will-O-Wisp with it^^

^^ Well, most Azus I saw used Assault West and I "was lucky enough" to take it away with Knock Off first and then got a revenge kill with Ninetails´ Solarbeam, yup the damage was enough, but actually the sun was also enough to make Ninetails live through Aqua Jet with more then 50% HP and Azumarill can´t take 2 Solarbeams :) I didn´t even get to see one Azumarill using BD, either put enough pressure on them or they didn´t even pack it! I think Assault West + Knock Off was a more popular joice for Azumarill here! That´s what I can say at least from my fights

It was my first Online Competition but was just there for the Sturdy Tyrunt anyway

Didn't really have that much time to do serious battling anyway, only did 8 and it was 4 wins 4 losses. It balances out and I like the equality so I stopped there haha.

Faced a lot of MegaMawiles and knowing this I traded mine from Y as well to join the bandwagon. Trouble is I forgot to swap False Swipe and it was too late but Sucker Punch was usually enough in the battles.

A notable moment was facing a Wobbuffet with a Rocky Helmet that trapped my Donphan. Had to use Rapid Spin a few times so since I didn't want Earthquake to be countered and KOing me. Even if I did get Rocky Helmet damage at least I ensured the last Earthquake would kill it.

Main trio was a Ludicolo-Donphan-Mega Mawile core which worked surprisingly well for just pokemon I've used throughout different files. Ludicolo was a surprisingly good lead for my battles. Donphan really helped killing the Metagross and 1 Salamence I've seen. Only used Crawdaunt once and was impressed by the LO-boosted damage while my last win featured Manectric that successfully burned a foe's Mega Metagross as soon as it Mega-evolved. Which was really lucky since I was trying to think I should have taught it Overheat- glad I didn't.

Also Mega Absol is beast if you come in on the right attackers. For example, Choice pokemon stuck in the a resisted hit, Mega-Sableye, etc.

Set up Swords Dance and sweep.

As I'm finishing college final paper thesis and working full time, I could only think abou this competition on Sunday. Then I read this whole thread to have an idea of what to expect and what to use on my team. I could only play 21 battles, 16 wins & 5 loses. I didn't expect to go this well, but I expected to play all 30 battles, if it wasn't for all those Sableyes's Recovers taking my time, I'd ve played them all. But it was fun. I hope I can have more time to think about the metagames in the future competitions.

Attachments

Meet my team. They wanted to meet you good folks.

Took me long enough to figure out how to upload on my own!

Oh, and ignore Kachaenk's battle advances. He's just bloated on all of those victories!

Oh, and my score was ~1600, with I think 18/9 win/loose.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ended up with a nice 25W-5L and a ~1740 rating by the end of it - which I'm pretty pleased with considering this is my first Battle Spot competition and I haven't played on Showdown in ages (though watching replays of battles certainly helped). In general, I was decently surprised by how this competition turned out as a whole, given that mons such as MegaMence and Blaziken were allowed to have free reign. The meta was heavily centralized around checking Mence, yes, but I did happen to come across a number of creative sets (which makes me feel kinda lame for going with the old standbys). Stuff like Eviolite Phys Def Vigoroth leads (to counter Breloom leads), bulky TR Gardevoir and max def Bulk Up-Baton Pass Blaziken holding Weakness Policy were some of the more unorthodox sets I saw people run higher on the ladder - which was nice to see amidst all the similarly built teams.

Team: My team was far from being the most creative, and in fact I lurked this thread quite a bit before the competition to get a sense of what worked. Since I don't have a lot of experience battling (but enjoy the competitive environment of a ranked competition), I figured safety was a better bet at this point than trying to be too innovative. Because my team was so standard, the few "lures" in my sets were usually enough to catch opponents off-guard and win me the match. With 3v3 being much more fast-paced, often a single misplay would decide the match if one player achieved offensive momentum and the other failed to preserve their checks.

Breloom was definitely the MVP of my team, and I don't think there was a single match where I didn't field her. I was surprised how many teams were unprepared for Breloom, given that it was one of the top threats in the meta. Running Jolly Focus Sash was an absolute life-saver, as it meant the difference between outspeeding a lot of slower threats (and some faster neutral-natured ones too), sleeping them and picking them off. The teams that did have an answer to Breloom were generally limited to either Roserade or mons with Lum/Safety Goggles. In the case of the latter, preserving Breloom and wearing down its checks until I could secure a lategame "sleep and sweep" was the key. Priority Mach Punch also came in handy a number of times, and due to the lack of Stealth Rock, keeping even a 1HP Breloom was a worthy endeavour.

Gyarados was next in line for most useful and was fielded as my primary check to Blaziken (lacking Thunderpunch) and a lot of physical attackers in general (very important in the physically-inclined meta) - unless I saw a Manectric in the opposing lineup or needed Gardevoir to handle a specific threat. Lum Berry also allowed Gyarados to check Breloom/Roserade once (I outspeed the former by running Jolly and 2HKO'd with Ice Fang). The set was pretty standard, but I opted to run Bounce over Earthquake, which made the Metagross matchup a bit trickier but saved me against opposing Gyarados, Azumarill and Machamp. Finding the opportunity to get a single DD in was often enough to dent my opponent's team (easy enough with Breloom sleeping stuff).

Knowing that many teams were going to possess multiple checks to Mega Salamence, I opted to use the specially-based mixed set as a lure of sorts. Bringing Mence in, KO'ing something with Return to make my opponent believe I was running the physical set and then nuking the incoming Sableye with Hyper Voice after it burned me was incredibly satisfying. I used Mence as more of a hole puncher because of how well-prepared everyone was for the DD sets - and letting Gyarados, Breloom or Gardevoir clean-up late game.

These were the three members that I used in most games, but Mega Aggron was chosen for matchups where I needed the extra insurance against opposing Mences, Metagross or Lati@s. Scarf Gardevoir was used against teams with Sableye or Manectric (being one of my only answers to this monster, as I came to realize), and she was even able to sweep a few times! Sableye was the only member that I never used, and looking back could've been easily replaced as I already had plenty of insurance against physical attackers between Mega Aggron and two users of Intimidate.

The teams that I really struggled playing against were the ones that threw unexpected surprises my way such as bulky TR Gardevoir or Synchronize Alakazam paralyzing Mega Aggron after I T-Waved it. Additionally, I realized I had a large weakness to any teams possessing Manectric since it could plow through my team easily unless Mence had already mega-evolved and it hadn't, Breloom still had its sash intact or Gardevoir could Trace Lightningrod. Roserade was also a huge thorn on my side due to outspeeding Breloom/Gyarados and hitting them with Sludge Bomb/Sleep. Most of them thankfully weren't EV'd properly to live 2 Rock Tombs and once their sashes were broken, taking them out was easy. Worst case, we'd go 1-1.

Losses: None of my losses involved me getting completely destroyed (worst was going 0-2) or ruined by hax, since I generally felt I made all the correct plays/had good matchups. There were a few missteps, however.

- First loss was because I switched Breloom out against a Blaziken, hoping Gyarados would take care of it. It ended up baton passing a bunch of speed to a bulky Mega Gardevoir that swept most of my team before going down.
- Second loss was because I made the mistake of sending Gyarados out against a Gardevoir and since I wasn't running max speed, got OHKO'd with a Thunderbolt. The most frustrating part was that I could've won this by sending out Breloom instead, KO'ing it, and letting Gyarados handle the Mence that came out next. Just a really dumb play which ended my 17 game win streak.
- Third loss was due to a poor matchup, which was my fault. For some reason I didn't pay attention to the fact that the opponent had both a Glalie and Donphan and I selected Mence instead of Aggron. The opponent switched in Roserade as I tried to spore the Glalie lead, Rock Tomb didn't 2HKO (it was probably EV'd in defense to avoid this), and Gyarados/Mence fell to Glalie/Donphan. Very sloppy playing on my part.
- Fourth loss was odd. I chose not to lead with Breloom for some reason and faced a Gardevoir mirror match. The opponent's was an odd bulky TR setter which was able to take out my Gardevoir and bring Breloom down to its sash. I was then beaten easily by a Blaziken with HP Ice (a very useful set that I didn't prepare for enough).
- Fifth loss was because Canadian internet is the worst thing in existence and I disconnected during a stall war between Mega Aggron and a CM Mega Latias. I probably would've won this one too.

Stuff I would Change:

-Change Gyarados' EV spread to max speed. I ran Jolly with enough speed to outspeed Jolly Breloom before a DD so I could 2HKO (thanks to Lum). Gyarados' base 81 speed was actually a decent tier in this meta, being able to outspeed unboosted base 80's like Gardevoir and Blaziken (most notable if I had already DD'd). This unfortunately did cost me a match as I was outspeed and OHKO'd by a Gardevoir's Thunderbolt.

-Run Trick over Energy Ball on Gardevoir. Energy Ball was so that I could revenge Mega Swampert in the rain, but the opportunity never arose thankfully. Looking back, I already had enough checks in Gyarados/Sash Breloom. Trick could've helped in some matchups against stall mons but I was clicking Moonblast most of the time anyway.

-Swap out Sableye for something else, because as good as Prankster wisp is, it wasn't needed for this team.

So overall the competition was a fun and challenging experience and I'm glad I took the time to participate. It reminded me how much I enjoy competitive Pokemon battles, heh.

This competition made me realize how little I know about the competitive scene. I had like 9 wins and 16 losses. Wobbuffet was my only mon that did well haha

I went 6-16 for the competition. I was pleasantly surprised given my team wasn't put together for VGC type events.

I ran with Mega Metagross, Gyrados, Golem, and sometimes Breloom.

I definitely learned a lot and will start working on creating a more competitive team for future tournaments and competitions.

Ended up with 21W-7L and I didn't see my rating but probably close to 1700. My last opponent was recover stalling so I couldn't do a 29th battle, but that's my fault for forgetting about this :P.
Overall this competition was enjoyable, as I got use some cool pokes(I'm talking about you kecleon) and I managed to do well despite my rust. The metagame was super unbalanced and 3v3 just adds even more to the lack of balance IMO. All my pokemon did work, with Aggron being the MVP, walling like half of everyone's teams. Gardevoir was also great, I beat a few teams with her(...him? o.o) alone. Kecleon had fun slaying opposing gardevoirs and blazikens, but dig turned out to be useless(I didn't like manetric, but then I realized gardevoir had trace). I had trouble against breloom(used mega gyarados for metagross) but sleep talk on aggron handled it well(until I fought poison heal...). Exploud's wallbreaking abilities were amazing(+3 mega sableye got nothing on me!) but its frailness surprised me(lost a match to crawdaunt thinking it was base 70 spe, went for mach punch thinking exploud can take a hit but I've used crawdaunt so idk where my brain was to think all that). Finally I lost to every milotic, either by foolishly believing that gardevoir could chip it enough to the point of revenge killing or I fought an offensive one and let breloom get owned.
QUESTION: If I use the upload a file option, will it upload in the post? I don't see how else it would work but ya never know, sorry for the silly question.

I didn't do fantastically - something like 13W/17L - but I'm proud I did as well as I did without any legends or ridonculous things like M-Salamence. I actually found legendaries were no issue apart from the couple of times accuracy let me down on things like Megahorn and Pin Missile. One guy used a team of Latios, Regirock, and Registeel and I had great fun wrecking him with Rhyperior. All in all, very fun, and I did much better than my last (and first) competition, the Halloween one. Plus I got some cool ideas for the Generation Showdown. I hope I'll see you guys there. ;)
upload_2015-1-26_21-24-9.png

Meet my team. They wanted to meet you good folks.

Took me long enough to figure out how to upload on my own!

Oh, and ignore Kachaenk's battle advances. He's just bloated on all of those victories!

Oh, and my score was ~1600, with I think 18/9 win/loose.
Nice Team, a bit different in moveset, but basically we are quite similar, would have been really interesting^^

Silly me, I forgot Global Link doesn't load at all when I need it to. So no quick and easy Battle Box screenie for me. Here we go, RAW TEXT FTW:
Aggron @ Aggronite
Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def
Ability: Rock Head -> Filter

- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Very basic, offensive spread and moveset. Rest is used just to piss off Sableye. Many foes were crushed beneath his armored foot. Only "surprise" was a Fire Blast LO Salamence; and lets be serious, its about a 0.3/10 on the surprise scale.

========================================================================

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant, 132 HP, 196 Atk, 4 Def, 4 Sp. Def, 172 Speed
Ability: Intimidate -> Mold Breaker

- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gyarados complements Mega Aggron very well, covering its "weaknesses" and providing Intimidate to further doom physical attackers while being a formidable force in its own right.
I usually didn't Mega it; Gyarados' typing change with its Mega isn't always a plus. It does allow you to handle Mega Manectric though. Ice Fang wasn't the best idea, but hey, it was a throw-together for a Tyrunt. :P
Spread is nuts because its a VGC spread: outruns +115 after a DD (Or SpeedPass from Blaziken), hits a jump point in Atk for both Gyarados and Mega Gyarados, and remainder into bulk.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Adamant, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Speed Boost

- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick

Usually used as a lead, Substitute baffled almost every time. "Hey, its gonna use Protect. Free swi-fuck". "Whatevs, eat my Spore- fuck" "That's fine, I'll have my Mega Blaziken Mega evolve and use Protect- fuck"
Then it was as simple matter of free Baton Pass or unloading a free hit and another Speed Boost. REAL MEN use HJK.

Roserade @ Leftovers
Modest, 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Natural Cure

- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb

Why in all of fuck this is not holding a Focus Sash is a simple matter of "Because brainfart".
Roserade decimates every Grass type in Hoenn, Breloom in particular, so it was a natural counter to Breloom, status spam, bulky Waters, Ludicolo, and a good hitter in general.
Because it maims the main way of walling Sleep Powder, it was good to be ironic and spam Sleep Powder. And then Saftey Goggles Metagross happened.

Absolute bitch with a single Speed Boost. Click Sleep Powder -> cry because it missed -> die and think about how to recover from the 3 turns you just lost setting this up.

Gardevoir @ Assault Vest
Modest, 180 HP, 172 Def, 144 Sp. Atk, 12 Speed
Ability: Telepathy (Its for Doubles, wasn't going to breed a new one last second)

- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ground
- Psyshock

Even with a completely useless ability, I brought it to every single match, and it killed, at minimum, 1 foe. This thing hasn't let me down in MONTHS.
HP Ground was a bother for weakened Metagross, Magnezone, and Mawile, Thunderbolt ate Gyarados (non-Mega, Mega tanks Moonblast) and other Flying types, Psyshock because I don't have a Psychic TM, and Moonblast for what I hope is a painfully obvious reason. Spread tanks CB Adamant Talonflame's Brave Bird (Obviously irrelevant in Hoenn), and even allowed me to tank a Mega Metagross' Bullet Punch with some prior damage. Things it wrecked includes, but not limited to:
Mega Manectric, Special (Mega)Mence, Gardevoir, Mega Gardevoir, Scarf Machamp, Gyarados, Breloom (depending on Speed), Roserade, (Mega) Alakazam, Ludicolo, and even an odd Swampert.

Pulled an utterly priceless sweep thanks to a +2 Speed pass.

Rhyperior @ Passho Berry
Adamant, 140 HP, 96 Atk, 20 Def, 252 Sp. Def

- Rock Slide
- Metal Burst
- Drill Run
- Megahorn

Never used it. Not even once. This is an old, bulky AssVest set from early VGC 2014, that just so happens to tank anythng a Modest mega Salamence throws at it with a Passho Berry. Not that it mattered, I forgot to add Stone Edge and Ice Punch. Physical bulk also survives and KO's Mega Lucario's Close Combat (Irrelevant again, I know).

Final rating: above 1510 if I'm lucky.
W/L: About 6/4. Or the inverse.

tl;dr I sucked, it was for Tyrunt anyway :P

As a fan of the living boulder how'd you use Golem?
I threw a rocky helmet on him and mostly used Earthquake to combat the many Metagross I saw during the competition. I also used him for Stealth Rock.

Golem was really hit or miss. He took a ton of 1HKOs, but he also helped win a few battles.

And the results are in!
upload_2015-1-30_14-41-11.png

upload_2015-1-30_14-46-31.png

As you can see I didn't do particularly well coming in at 66th Australia and 8829th World but it was fun while it lasted :) Japan takes spots 1-9

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)