VGC My first VGC team!

I got into competitive very, very recently and I've been starting to build a team on Showdown. Here's what I have so far, and I know it still needs work.

Espeon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Protect
I typically have Espeon lead with Mega Kangaskhan. The Sitrus Berry is to keep Magic Bounce on the field for as long as possible. Sends back all the entry hazards, Taunt, and all the annoying Will-O-Wisps and Thunder Waves. I used to use a Meowstic here, but I prefer Magic Bounce over Safeguard. Shadow Ball also helps with Aegislash and other ghost types, and Psychic does fairly well against fighting types.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
Here's my other lead, and is the typical Mega Kangaskhan. Scrappy is to see if I need to Fake Out ghost types like Aegislash or Sableye (if I ever need to), and Return does pretty good neutral damage. Sucker Punch is good against Sableyes and Aegislashes, and Power-Up Punch does great against Tyranitar and other Dark and Rock types.

Mamoswine (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Protect
I really like Mamoswine as a Pokemon, and it works really well against Dragons. Ice Shard is for priority and good for all the Dragon/Flying Pokemon. Earthquake is for Ground types like Raichu, which I encounter sometimes. Icicle Crash works well when I need an Ice attack stronger than Ice Shard. I used to have Rock Slide instead of Icicle Crash, and either one of them works okay.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Detect
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
I used to have a Weavile here, but I figured a Scrafty would fit my needs a little better. You can never have enough Fake Out users, and where I used to use Weavile, Scrafty has a pretty good Fake Out as well. Knock Off deals with ghosts, and Drain Punch is good in many occasions. The Impish nature helps with better defense, and makes sure that Scrafty can take a Brave Bird.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
Heliolisk is an odd choice, but I think it works great against rain teams. Dry Skin helps restore some HP when I need it. Volt Switch helps switch out of the choice when I need to, and Thunderbolt provides pretty good STAB. Dark Pulse takes care of Ghost types nicely, and Focus Blast can handle Smeargle and Mega Kangaskhan well enough.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide
This is a pretty typical Garchomp, and I don't use it often. Earthquake takes care of Electric types, Dragon Claw is for the extra dragon STAB every once in a while, and Rock Slide handles flying types very well. Life Orb is for the extra power, and Rough Skin takes care of physical attackers. I guess this Garchomp is as normal as Garchomps get.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, and thank you so much for reading! c:

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Espeon- Psychic does fairly well against fighting types.
^ Have you considered Dazzling Gleam, as not only it hits fighting types, it also hits Dark types that are resistant towards Shadow Ball. Although you loose a STAB move, it could be a better option.
I'm also not too sure why you put Calm Mind on Espeon.

As for overall, although it has a good balance between physical and special attackers, the team seems to have no significant countermeasures towards fairy types.
You have Scrafty that's 4x to fairies, and Garchomp is also weak to fairies. But you have no steel moves nor poison moves for them.

You're comparing magic bounce to meowstic's safeguard, I don't know if you realize magic bounce only reflects status off espeon. So your kan is still able to be will-o'd and such when espeon is beside it. Espeon isn't really a strong mon in general, I don't believe your team benefits from it much. If you really wanted to reflect status that's targeting your kan & other pokemon, you could run ally switch xatu but don't do that lol it's not worth it. It's better to just play around status.

You also have no switch ins to sylveon and you're very fighting weak. I would entirely drop espeon for aegislash honestly. It gives you a fairy resist, fighting immunity and a flying resist. Aegislash also has wide guard to protect you from sylveon even more.
Aegislash @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD < This was a lazy spread, you can optimize these if need be
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Oh, and you're using detect with assault vest. Should switch that up for ice punch, stone edge or super fang etc. :•)

You're comparing magic bounce to meowstic's safeguard, I don't know if you realize magic bounce only reflects status off espeon. So your kan is still able to be will-o'd and such when espeon is beside it. Espeon isn't really a strong mon in general, I don't believe your team benefits from it much. If you really wanted to reflect status that's targeting your kan & other pokemon, you could run ally switch xatu but don't do that lol it's not worth it. It's better to just play around status.

You also have no switch ins to sylveon and you're very fighting weak. I would entirely drop espeon for aegislash honestly. It gives you a fairy resist, fighting immunity and a flying resist. Aegislash also has wide guard to protect you from sylveon even more.
Aegislash @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD < This was a lazy spread, you can optimize these if need be
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Oh, and you're using detect with assault vest. Should switch that up for ice punch, stone edge or super fang etc. :•)
Lemme change that EV spread.......Just use 156 sp.def, 252 hp and the rest in SpA with Weakness Policy. Just do it....

Lemme change that EV spread.......Just use 156 sp.def, 252 hp and the rest in SpA with Weakness Policy. Just do it....
At least let him know it survives hydrei's dark pulse.

I don't think he needs that much spdef for hydrei though when he has AV scrafty, lo chomp, and sash mamo to deal with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)