Generation Showdown [Online Competition] Finished!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I've tried googling this and the only information / mentioning of 'Pokemuba' is the original advertisement for Pokemon Transporter with Pokebank. So if it's saying you can use Pokemon Transporter to send stuff through and use them in this tournament then it would mean it isn't Pentagon only. I'm not making any conclusions yet though until it is announced on the English website. Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can find out for us (tagging DragonWhale because I believe he can).

edit: did some simple Googling and Bulbapedia are reporting that it is going to be Doubles and anything from Gen V and upwards are allowed (probably since BW2 has a large range of legendaries), which means nothing from Gen IV or lower for you RNGers

I guess stuff that originated in Gen V will be given a temporary pentagon just for this. This is good because hidden abilities like Multiscale Lugia and Regenerator Ho-oh are allowed after all!
It's the same wording they used for the battle of legends last year: "anything from gen 5 is also allowed", which also included anything transferred to gen 5 from 3 or 4.

Wow i dont think i will win any game with my current team against Pdon and mega rayquaza xd. Im still going to try though!

So this looks really quite interesting. Finnaly it gives us a reason to SR for box legends instead of the regular stuff. Why Deoxys is still banned i have no clue since you can catch it legit in ORAS but whatever its game freak logic.

(ps this is on my birthday)

What's the point of Event pokemon if you can't use them in anything but free battles?
As a collectors thing I suppose

I'm bad at doubles. I'm bad with Ubers so I don't know how to use legendaries. Maybe I'll just play for fun :P One glance at the rules make me think that Mamoswine could work

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This competition has finally been announced on the English site! Here's what they've said:

Pokemon Global Link said:
Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 719, with the exception of the following: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, and Diancie.
• Players can register a maximum of two Pokémon to the Battle Box from the following list: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 30-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 10 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.
So confirming non-pentagon is allowed! So if you can RNG then get to it (and hook me up, lol). Anything below level 50 will retain its level, so level 1 shenanigans are allowed

Gawd, I've never actually used my Uber toys properly so I'm gonna need to PRACTISE! Has the meta been created on Showdown?

Can anybody help me with a Xerneas 4th move slot? I've been using this:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Grass Knot

The first 3 moves are required but I keep swapping out the fourth slot because I can't decide. Grass knot is helpful because it 2HKOs SpDef Primal Groudon at +2 which normally is a problem for my team, The EVs let you out speed +1 Jolly Mega Ray while at +2 Speed. Oh and my team is Mega Ray, Togekiss, Xerneas, Bisharp(For Now), Klefki, and Heatran.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Grass Knot

The first 3 moves are required but I keep swapping out the fourth slot because I can't decide. Grass knot is helpful because it 2HKOs SpDef Primal Groudon at +2 which normally is a problem for my team, The EVs let you out speed +1 Jolly Mega Ray while at +2 Speed. Oh and my team is Mega Ray, Togekiss, Xerneas, Bisharp(For Now), Klefki, and Heatran.
you can go with dazzling gleam to hit Mray throw follow me/rage powder or for when you need to get a double knock out

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Grass Knot

I like Grass Knot. I know spare moveslots are hard to come by in doubles, but I wanted to comment with another way of stopping Groudon-P. Rayquaza can run Waterfall/Aqua Tail to always OHKO, because Air Lock negates evaporation. It gets pretty good coverage alongside Dragon Ascent, too.

Coming up with a full team for this is hard, you can be weak to so much so easily... Might have to look back at some old VGC teams for inspiration, although obviously there are a lot of new factors to consider now.

you can go with dazzling gleam to hit Mray throw follow me/rage powder or for when you need to get a double knock out
I don't like Gleam in this meta because most of the time it misses out on some OHKOs or 2HKOS

I like Grass Knot. I know spare moveslots are hard to come by in doubles, but I wanted to comment with another way of stopping Groudon-P. Rayquaza can run Waterfall/Aqua Tail to always OHKO, because Air Lock negates evaporation. It gets pretty good coverage alongside Dragon Ascent, too.

Coming up with a full team for this is hard, you can be weak to so much so easily... Might have to look back at some old VGC teams for inspiration, although obviously there are a lot of new factors to consider now.
I'll try out Waterfall on Ray that sounds pretty cool

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I neat idea I heard on another forum is to use m-altaria, but hold off on mega evolving so you keep the cloud nine (and protect), while your partner deals with p-groudon/p-kyogre/m-ray

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I neat idea I heard on another forum is to use m-altaria, but hold off on mega evolving so you keep the cloud nine (and protect), while your partner deals with p-groudon/p-kyogre/m-ray
This got me thinking... The three users of Cloud Nine are Altaria, Lickilicky and Golduck. Obviously the main one is Altaria thanks to Hyper Voice spam and that delicious typing that makes it a lot better at dealing with Ray and Kyogre, but an interesting one that I've sort of been considering is Golduck. It's stats are dismal but they are just enough to achieve this:
252+ SpA Golduck Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 268-316 (129.4 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
and this:
252+ SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 180-216 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
making it somewhat of a dark horse option for beating down these two threats. Unfortunately, it doesn't get a lot outside of STABs and Ice Beam, other than Psychic-type moves that do little damage to the trio and random support moves that don't mesh well with the Choice Scarf that Golduck needs to outpace Groudon and Ray (damn 85 base speed). Encore and Disable make decent disruption if you need to sack Golduck if it isn't making itself useful for whatever reason (the very thought!) and Role Play could make for some interesting weather shenanigans - it overwrites Cloud Nine so Golduck could, for example, restore a partner Groudon's intense sunlight to dodge a Water move or something. Clear Smog is an interesting option for shutting down GeoXern.

In other news, what does the meta look like right now, if there is one (on Showdown or otherwise)? As far as I know, all that's been discussed is Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon and Xerneas, and then various checks and answers to those four - what does the average team look like right now?

Why not use regular Rayquaza? You can use it to negate the weather allowing you and a team-mate to take down P-Don with water attacks; and there are lots of options for team-mates. Then once P-Don is out of the way you could easily Mega up if required. Kyu-B's mixed set offers a way to support regular Ray take out both Primals in one turn.

Also, since discussion is focusing around the Hoenn trio and GeoXern, which are all offesive options, I've been looking at tanky disruptive Ubers like Giratina or Lugia to see what they offer. I'll have some thoughts on those soon.

Also, having a look at Ubers usage statistics to see what kind of non-uber mons can hang with the big boys is probably going to be useful.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Why not use regular Rayquaza? You can use it to negate the weather allowing you and a team-mate to take down P-Don with water attacks; and there are lots of options for team-mates. Then once P-Don is out of the way you could easily Mega up if required. Kyu-B's mixed set offers a way to support regular Ray take out both Primals in one turn.

Also, since discussion is focusing around the Hoenn trio and GeoXern, which are all offesive options, I've been looking at tanky disruptive Ubers like Giratina or Lugia to see what they offer. I'll have some thoughts on those soon.

Also, having a look at Ubers usage statistics to see what kind of non-uber mons can hang with the big boys is probably going to be useful.
Regular rayquaza is good too, but since you're only allowed 2 ubers, you might want to save your slots for something else instead.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so yeah, I wasn't planning on entering this competition since I don't really have the time to soft-reset for good legends, but I recently got a good Rayquaza in a giveaway so I'm giving this another look. Don't know if I'm going to be using another Uber or not, depends on what I get (right now I have nothing). Anyone wanna hook me up with a Xerneas? EDIT: Nevermind got one, thanks Artic!

Non-penta sounds really good too as most of my doubles Pokemon are from past gens. Biggest thing for me is that I can use a Gen 5 Landorus-T. I'd bring Hitmontop too but it'd probably get wrecked by Xerneas and Rayquaza and not do much. Oh well.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Regular rayquaza is good too, but since you're only allowed 2 ubers, you might want to save your slots for something else instead.
Not sure what the problem is, regular Ray can obviously hold any item it wants, and Dragon Ascent is a great flying type STAB move on either forme, so you could just add the move and then you can either not evolve it or evolve it, depending on what you need to do in the battle. If it had to hold a Rayquazite or something then I would understand, but I think normal-Ray will be hella good here

Hulavuta time to make RNG friends

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Not sure what the problem is, regular Ray can obviously hold any item it wants, and Dragon Ascent is a great flying type STAB move on either forme, so you could just add the move and then you can either not evolve it or evolve it, depending on what you need to do in the battle. If it had to hold a Rayquazite or something then I would understand, but I think normal-Ray will be hella good here

Hulavuta time to make RNG friends
No, I mean if you wanted to use, say, p-groudon and xerneas, you wouldn't be able to also use rayquaza because the rules limit you to two box legends.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
No, I mean if you wanted to use, say, p-groudon and xerneas, you wouldn't be able to also use rayquaza because the rules limit you to two box legends.
Oh I understand the regulations, I was replying to your comment on normal Ray's viability. Of course you will have to choose carefully when selecting which two Ubers you want to use but I don't think normal Ray should be forgotten about

In the german version of the rules for this tournament, it´s confirmed that you can use Pokémon transfered with pokémover! Edit: seems that´s already clear to everyone, sry for unnecessary post...

Since I´m limited to use the Legends still remaining on oR, because I didn´t catch good legends on previous generations...(Palkia, Ho-oh, Reshiram) I was thinking of using Choice-Palkia with Blizzard in combination with Cloud Nine-Altaria. Palkia is faster then normal Ray and depending on the timing it would work out. Blizzard over Ice Beam of course, because of obvious Follow me-support. Could you guys give me some thought on that?

Edit: Thunder would be a nice move on Palkia aswell, to abuse P-Kyogre and counter with it?

cant say edit: don't double post

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for suggestions - going to be using M-Sableye, Xerneas, and P-Kyogre. What else will help me round out my team? I have a stockpile/bellydrum Snorlax but I'm not sure how well he would fit in. I also have a somewhat decent Klefki.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Since I´m limited to use the Legends still remaining on oR, because I didn´t catch good legends on previous generations...(Palkia, Ho-oh, Reshiram) I was thinking of using Choice-Palkia with Blizzard in combination with Cloud Nine-Altaria. Palkia is faster then normal Ray and depending on the timing it would work out. Blizzard over Ice Beam of course, because of obvious Follow me-support. Could you guys give me some thought on that?

Edit: Thunder would be a nice move on Palkia aswell, to abuse P-Kyogre and counter with it
I wouldn't count on Palkia to deal with (mega) Ray since Blizzard could always just miss, and Palkia is OHKO'd by Life Orb Mega Ray's Dragon Ascent anyway.

Thunder is a 2HKO on (primal) Kyogre, and remember that if you have a Cloud Nine user on the field then it won't be 100% accurate in the Rain

Looking for suggestions - going to be using M-Sableye, Xerneas, and P-Kyogre. What else will help me round out my team? I have a stockpile/bellydrum Snorlax but I'm not sure how well he would fit in. I also have a somewhat decent Klefki.
That Snorlax set will be horrible here. Klefki could work (as it's annoying in any meta it's allowed in) but I'm not sure how effective it will be. Like I've explained to many new users here; don't bother settling for stuff you have on hand, go out and breed stuff you need (and don't settle for imperfect!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)