OU Chesnaught (Revamp)

Gimmick

Electric potential
12 HP EVs are needed to make Chesnaught's HP divisible by 4.
I never said the EVs should be taken out of HP. The ideal EV spread would have the 8 EVs taken out of Atk as long as it doesn't miss out on any crucial OHKOs.

EDIT: lol i didn't see a 4th page, just the bottom of the 3rd. Sorry. Agent Gibbs got it first.

Just take the 8 EVs out of Atk. It's not like those 2 points are going to matter much at +6, and beating Alakazam and Sceptile pre-Mega can be handy. That, or you can run max Atk, put the leftover 4 EVs in Def/SpD, and drop the HP IV to 30.
I just took the 8 Ev's out of attack. Wasn't aware that you didn't outspeed ala and sceptile.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
(first analysis don't kill me)

1. This is Chesnaught right?
QC / / /
GP / /

Overview
########
Pros:
  • Great Physical bulk of 88/122 (you dont need to list stats, when this is uploaded they will appear above the dex entry) allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Scizor.
  • Bullet proof grants it immunity's to common attacks such as shadow ball and sludge bomb, add gyro ball and focus blast
  • Good support movepool with leech seed and spikes
  • Natural high physical bulk with no investment and STAB Drain punch gives Chesnaught the ability to be a devastaing belly drum sweeper.
  • Impressive 107 attack gives chesnaught a means of hitting back (idk if 107 is impressive, but its more important that it has solid attack for a defensive pokemon. also remove the stat number)
  • Drain punch changed everything (I wouldn't say everything, it just helped it a lot) for Chesnaught: now it has a reliable way of gaining health and dealing damage.
Cons:
  • Huge number of weaknesses to flying, fire, fairy, poison, ice, and psychic hinder it's defensive prowess
  • Poor special bulk of 88/75 (remove numbers, just say poor special bulk) hinders it even further, meaning it is weak to many common special attackers
  • Weak to the common Birdspam Birdspam isn't a term, just say flying-types
  • Very slow
  • A bit of 4th move slot syndrome
  • Vulnerable to fast taunt users
  • Faces competition from Ferrothorn as a defensive Spiker
  • Several of the new megas are either great counters or checks to this thing
remove one empty line here

Physical Tank
########
name: Physical Tank
move 1: Leech seed
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Wood hammer/Spiky shield
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers
EV's (change this to evs): 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========
  • Chesnaught's high physical bulk enables him to wall out a lot of physical attackers. (this is kinda fluff sentence, remember that this part is about moves)
  • Leech seed is Chesnaughts main form of recovery, and in combination with spiky shield Chesnaught can heal off a great deal of damage
  • Drain punch is Chesnaught's other form of sustain. Backed by STAB and a base 107 attack (just say solid attack, no numbers), Chesnaught can heal quite a lot of damage
  • Spikes gives Chesnaught utility, while punishing Pokemon on the switch. Coupled with his high physical bulk, Chesnaught will be setting up spikes for days.
  • A grass type STAB should be used to handle common bulky water, ground, and water/ground types such as Azumarill, Hippowdon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon. Wood hammer is an impressive base 120 power grass STAB move, although seed bomb is a less powerful move but without the recoil
  • An alternative to wood hammer would be Chesnaught's signature, spiky shield. This gives Chesnaught more means of sustain while also enabling it to do chip damage and lock choice Pokemon into their respective moves.

Set Details
========
  • Ev's are the standard physical tank
  • More attack and speed can be used for more offensive prowess, at the cost of some bulk (I.e 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe or 204 HP / 252 Def / 52 Spe) (152 Atk. can be used to OHKO Terrakion after defense drops (from close combat) with drain punch.)
  • A More Specially defense spread such as 248 Hp / 156 Def / 106 SpD could be used to take special attacks like Keldeo easier.
  • Since Chesnaught has lots of healing sustain already, rocky helmet can be used with spiky shield to ward off physical attackers with more ease. However, leftovers is generally more reliable.
  • Bulletproof ->>> overgrow (explain why, just like you did in the overview)
  • Leech seed, drain punch, and spiky shield allow Chesnaught to survive longer.
  • Spikes are the most recommended move in the fourth move slot as it gives Chesnaught more utility.(same as below)
  • Grass type stab can give Chesnaught means of dishing out more pain, especially to mega Swampert.(remove this, it doesnt belong in set details)

Usage Tips
========

• Leech Seed along with passive damage makes Chesnaught a great tank. Set Leech Seed up on as soon as possible
  • Using Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it very much will probably force a switch, and this forced switch should be capitalized on by by setting up Leech Seed or laying Spikes against the switch-in.
  • That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use on Choiced opponents, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond.
  • If not running spiky shield, than use that hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados.
  • Spikes should be used on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but be wary of defog and rapid spin. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more.
  • Drain punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, granting Chesnaught some additional damage and health
  • When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just go for the KO with Drain punch.
  • Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions
  • Be wary of special attackers and don't let Chesnaught stay in for long
Team Options
========
  • Chansey can heal status, provide good defensive synergy, and pass wishes
  • Heatran covers all of Chesnaughts weaknesses, while Chesnaught covers Heatrans weaknesses to fire and water. In addition, Heatran special bulk and Chesnaught's physical bulk. In addition, Heatran can set up stealth rock to weaken birdspam (flying-types, not birdspam) and continually shuffle opponents with roar.
  • Slowbro and Slowking work well together as well, although Slowking has special bulk to complement Chesnaught's physical bulk and has access to dragon tail for entry hazard.
  • Rotom-H (be specific - ie; it covers chesnuaghts weaknesses)
  • Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught
Sanic and Knuckles
########
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Seed bomb
ability: Overgrow/bulletproof
item: Salac Berry
EV's (same as above): 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • While it might seem outclassed by other belly drum users such as Azumarill at first, Chesnaught access to STAB Drain punch for recovery as well as reliable bulk allow it to be very threatening when set up.
  • Able to set up on some of the more common OU threats such as mega Sableye, Rotom-w, Landorous-t, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Gyrados, and Gengar. (doesnt set up on gengar)
  • Substitute to help activate the Salac berry
  • Belly drum (duh)
  • Seed bomb is the preferred STAB choice here, as wood hammer's recoil just doesn't work out for this kind of set
  • Drain punch is a phenomenal move for Chesnuaght here; the health recovery gives Chesnaught an excellent mean of sustain to complement substitute and it's naturally high bulk
Set Details
========
  • 12 HP EV's ensure you hit 25% of your health to activate your Salac berry and keep as much health as possible
  • Rest of the EV's are put into attack and then speed for offense
  • Salac berry for speed boost
  • Ability choice comes down to preference
  • Overgrow is the preferred ability here as it gives Chesnaught some extra power at low health, enough to OHKO Latios with seed bomb
  • Bulletproof can be used to set up easier on Pokemon like Gengar (doesnt set up on gengar since they run sludge wave over bomb), Sableye, Venasaur (modest hp fire 2hkoes, so iffy on this one), and other Pokemon with sludge bomb and shadow ball.

Usage Tips
========
  • Do not try to set up Chesnaught first turn; keep this thing healthy.
  • Try to get a good opportunity for Chesnaught to set up (I'd merge this with the sentence below)
  • Switching into Pokemon that Chenaught can counter normally will allow Chesnaught to have an easier time setting up.
  • Try to lock Pokemon into moves that normally wouldn't hurt Chesnaught, such as Azumarill's aqua jet, Excadrill and Landorous's earthquake, etc.
  • Setting up sub will allow Chesnaught to safely set up on Pokemon that can cripple it with a burn, such as mega Sableye and Gengar (same as above, gengar outspeeds and kills with sludge wave or it'll just taunt you).
  • If Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught once it sets up, eliminate them first before trying to set up; YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE
  • Chesnaught can still reliable take some physical hits and even heal up with drain punch if it needs to, feel free to do so if Chesnaught needs to switch into one of it's typical counters such as Bisharp and Excadrill. (dunno if it really switches into bisharp, as +2 iron head kos after rocks)
  • Make sure that all the Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught at +6 such as Amoongus, Celebi, Talonflame, and mega Pinsir are off the field, unless Chesnaught still has a sub up when they switch in.
  • Once you set up, watch as Chesnaught completely obliterates the opposition (same as below)
  • Using drain punch at the earliest oppurtunity is crucial to this set, as Chesnaught's physical bulk can still take some hits.
  • Capable of going 6-0 when properly set up. (not really a usage tip lol)

Team Options
========
  • Slow U-turners and volt switchers
  • Magnezone provides a slow volt switch for Chesnaught and can ward off Skarmory for Chesnaught
  • Heatran can set up rocks for Chesnaught while also providing good synergy for Chesnaught's typing.
  • Rotom-W also is a great volt switcher, as well as having the ability to take care of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, two pokemon who can eliminate Chesnaught if it doesn't have a sub up. Rotom-H is also a great volt switcher capable of taking care of Amoongus and Celebi, two pokemon that can wall this set.
  • Defog and rapid spin support is crucial to Chesnaught in order for it to stay healthy
  • Scizor and mega Scizor can provide a slow u-turn, defog, and knock off support for Chesnaught so that it can get great set-up oppurtunity.
  • Knock off support will help to eliminate Skarmory's shed shell
  • Skarmory can also provide some hazards or defog support for Chesnaught.

Other Options
########
  • Rock tomb, thunder punch, and stone edge can surprise bird spam (flying types) on the switch and rock tomb can patch up Chesnaughts low speed. Bulldoze also can patch up Chesnaught's low speed.
  • Hammer arm has more power than drain punch, however, drain punch is far superior thanks to it's ability to heal Chesnaught and the fact that it doesn't lower it's low speed
  • Substitute for a way to handle status, and can be used well in combination with spiky shield and leech seed (sub is already on the belly drum set, so it doesnt belong in oo)
  • Pain split and synthesis can also be used for recovery, but Chesnaught already has means to recover health and these are generally wastes of a moveslot
  • Roar for shuffling opponents and racking up hazard damage
  • Super fang can dwindle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't deal with using it's normal STAB moves.
  • Toxic for more stall based teams.
  • Taunt for fazing and stopping set up sweepers.
  • SubSD salac berry could be interesting.
  • AV can patch up Chesnaught's low Special Defense; however, this type of set is done better by Conkeldurr. (please remove this, AV is something you should never consider on chesnaught, and you said it yourself - conk does it 10 times better)

Checks & Counters
########

all the bullet points in front of c&c should be removed btw
  • **Birdspam, bravebird, birdspam, bravebird** (remove this, birdspam is not a term)
  • **Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir all threaten our Chesnaught with their 4x super effective STAB moves. They do not appreciate switching into Leech Seed, however, and can be wrecked (try to be more formal with word choice, stuff like wrecked isnt used in analyses) by the belly drum set.. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir do check the Belly drum set, however.
  • **Taunt**: Chesnaught still hits reasonably hard with drain punch, however it can easily be shut down by faster taunt users such as Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Mew. Taunt can also prevent Chesnaught from setting up belly drum.
  • **Mega venasaur**: Mega Venasaur isn't affected by leech seed and can shrug off drain punch if carrying synthesis. However, Mega Venasaur can't do much to Chesnaught if it lacks hidden power of fire (hp fire is run on roughly 70% of mega venusaur, so I'd remove this point entirely) .
  • **Fire-types**: Charizard, Heatran, Volcarona, Mega Camerupt all threaten Chesnaught with their respective STAB moves, though they don't appreciate leech seed and are wrecked (same as above) by belly drum.
  • **Fairy Types**: Gardevior, Sylveon, mega Altaria, mega Audino (m-audino is terrible, no need to mention it), and Clefable all can take care of Chesnaught and Clefable's with magic guard don't even have to worry about leech seed. Clefable with unaware completely shuts down the belly drum set and Gardevior, Sylveon, and mega Altaria can bypass sub. with hyper voice.
  • **Magic bounce users**; Espeon (espeon is really bad, the other two mons you mentioned are the only relevant magic bounce users), mega Diancie, and mega Sableye are immune to leech seed and can eliminate Chenaught with either super effective moves, or by setting up on it. Although both can be wrecked (same as above) by the belly drum set.
  • **Psychic-types**: Psychic types such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, the Lati Twins (not a term used in analyses, list each pokemon individually), Gothitelle, Slowbro, and Medicham all threaten with their super effective moves. Even physical ones such as Gallade and Medicham can eliminate Chesnaught with enough damage. Though most of these Pokemon don't appreciate leech seed and spiky shield damage and can only check the belly drum set.
  • **Hazard removers**: Chesnaught has to worry about defoggers such as Latias and Mandibuzz from removing the spikes that Chesnaught set up.
  • **Gengar**: Gengar can threaten to burn Chesnaught, set up a sub. or OHKO with it's STAB sludge wave. However, Chesnaught with a sub up can set up on gengar. (it cant because gengar outspeeds and ko's with sludge wave, and mention that gengar also taunt chesnaught which bothers it a lot)
Hey man - kinda bored so I thought I'd give some feedback on what you have so far, comments in bold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
boltsandbombers, don't nitpick at this stage, especially with trivial grammar and prose concerns. I didn't delete your post because it includes some relevant information in regards to misleading/incorrect information, but those are the only things that should be included in critiques at this stage. Minor wording is included under the umbrella of things not to post about.

Hey man - kinda bored so I thought I'd give some feedback on what you have so far, comments in bold.
Thanks man I really appreciate that. I apologize for always putting birdspam in their but that's because when I think flying types; talonflame immediately pops into my head.
And Jukain I know it's not his job to nitpick but that doesn't neccesarly mean he can't. No ones forcing him to but if he wants to look for grammatical errors that's perfectly fine.
EDIT: made all the changes

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not a case of it not being his 'job'. Grammatical errors are completely irrelevant in skeletons and a waste of the time to even fix because the prose in the skeleton has no value, as it's just replaced with a write-up. That said, this issue is dropped for here. It's just a note for the future.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't used it yet but I think Rock Slide could be viable on the BD set. Although you do lose STAB, you gain perfect coverage alongside Drain Punch, enabling you to OHKO Latias at +6 (well, 87.5% of the time if rocks are off the field) while still retaining Bulletproof as an ability. Rock Slide also enables you to hit Talonflame, Pinsir, YZard and Flying types in general if you Sub as they switch in on you which they'll often do. You also get to hit Phys Def MAltaria, MVenusaur, Celebi and Amoonguss which otherwise wall you. You also stop Volcarona from using you as setup fodder which can be pretty fatal for a few teams. You do lose out on Clefable, Azumarill (though you can run Stone Edge to OHKO Max HP Azu at +6), Mega-Sableye (who can finish you off with Foul Play) and Mega-Slowbro but that's pretty much it afaik.

Last edited:
I haven't used it yet but I think Rock Slide could be viable on the BD set. Although you do lose STAB, you gain perfect coverage alongside Drain Punch, enabling you to OHKO Latias at +6 (well, 87.5% of the time if rocks are off the field) while still retaining Bulletproof as an ability. Rock Slide also enables you to hit Talonflame, Pinsir, YZard and Flying types in general if you Sub as they switch in on you which they'll often do. You also get to hit Phys Def MAltaria, MVenusaur, Celebi and Amoonguss which otherwise wall you. You do lose out on Clefable, Azumarill (though you can run Stone Edge to OHKO Max HP Azu at +6), Mega-Sableye (who can finish you off with Foul Play) and Mega-Slowbro but that's pretty much it afaik.
I'll consider it for the time being ill leave it as a slash. I think you bring up some good points but I think I want to use it myself before I make a judgement.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't used it yet but I think Rock Slide could be viable on the BD set. Although you do lose STAB, you gain perfect coverage alongside Drain Punch, enabling you to OHKO Latias at +6 (well, 87.5% of the time if rocks are off the field) while still retaining Bulletproof as an ability. Rock Slide also enables you to hit Talonflame, Pinsir, YZard and Flying types in general if you Sub as they switch in on you which they'll often do. You also get to hit Phys Def MAltaria, MVenusaur, Celebi and Amoonguss which otherwise wall you. You also stop Volcarona from using you as setup fodder which can be pretty fatal for a few teams. You do lose out on Clefable, Azumarill (though you can run Stone Edge to OHKO Max HP Azu at +6), Mega-Sableye (who can finish you off with Foul Play) and Mega-Slowbro but that's pretty much it afaik.
I support this in the format that it was implemented while you test. They both have merits to them which are big enough to justify their use, and the trade-off allows Chesnaught to be customised to suit the needs of its team nicely. It makes the set better and a little more splashable (not that the set is very splashable anyway, but it is a tad more) when there are options open to it.

The only criticism I have is that you won't be outpacing Talonflame or Pinsir in the first place as they don't directly switch in on you until they know that you are PhysDef anyway (which this set is not), meaning that Sub will usually be broken by the time that they come in (not to mention that you are still beaten by Timid Gardevoir and Altaria before Salac anyway due to Hyper Voice being a sound move, meaning that Talonflame may not need to come in at all), and the fact that they can just use their priority to take you out regardless of the boost from Salac.

imo a pretty good way to use the Belly Drum set is with a minimum speed, Sitrus Berry > Salac Berry, and Hammer Arm > Drain Punch on a Trick Room team. I'd like to get an opinion from QC on whether or not that should be mentioned in OO.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
imo a pretty good way to use the Belly Drum set is with a minimum speed, Sitrus Berry > Salac Berry, and Hammer Arm > Drain Punch on a Trick Room team. I'd like to get an opinion from QC on whether or not that should be mentioned in OO.
I'm not QC, but I can give input on this.

The main draw to BD Chesnaught over other users is that it has rlly good longevity due to Drain Punch, allowing it to run Salac to patch up its speed to an actually useful effect. The problem with the set you are suggesting is that it is:
  • reliant on Trick Room being up (of which you will have wasted 2-3 turns coming in and setting up), and...
  • forgoing the longevity provided by Drain Punch.
This is v/ problematic for the set, and tbh there are better physical attackers for TR teams, namely Conkeldurr and Azumarill due to them not being completely reliant on TR being up and having obtained boosts to succeed. It isn't really something which has enough use to warrant a mention in OO as it is pretty much impossible to pull off to any notable effect.

Im with gamer on this one. I like the idea on paper but it just seems like to much of a hassle plus chesnaught already has drain punch as a means of sustain

Hey you should mention Magma Storm Heatran as a really good partner for the BD set, because you can trap pokemon which are rather annoying for it and prevent Chesnaught to set up. (Clefable etc.)

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK a pretty large amount of stuff to do here not gonna lie
Chesnaught's transition to ORAS has changed it's role in the OU Metagame quite a lot. Of course, Chesnaught still retains it's great physical bulk that allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Scizor.
Two things here: I don't believe you can mention "within-generation" gaps (like, the transition from XY to ORAS), so just remove the first sentence and the "of course". Also, I'd remove the mention of Scizor because SD Roost Scizor (one of the most common sets) can beat Chesnaught 1v1.

On to of that, naturally high physical bulk with no investment and STAB Drain punch gives Chesnaught the ability to be a devastaing belly drum sweeper.
Mention why having STAB Drain Punch is so helpful, namely recovery from all the HP you sacrifice.

However, many of the problems that Chesnaught has faced in the past have still come back to haunt it. For a start, it has a huge number of weaknesses to flying, fire, fairy, poison, ice, and psychic hinder it's defensive prowess, especially flying considering the high presence of talonflame and mega pin sir.
Listing the weaknesses is fluff, just edit out the bolded part and highlight the Flying weakness.

And finally, several of the new megas are either great counters or checks to this thing.
I'd remove this due to the generation thingy mentioned above.

In moves, make sure you mention that Spiky Shield can help you beat Gyarados, which is a huge boon for a defensive wall.

The EV's are standard for a physical tank such as chesnaught, max defense and HP to make it as physically bulky as possible. More attack and speed can be used for more offensive prowess, at the cost of some bulk (something like 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe or 204 HP / 252 Def / 52 Spe.) 152 Atk. EV's can be used to OHKO Terrakion after defense drops from close combat with drain punch. A More Specially defense spread such as 248 Hp / 156 Def / 106 SpD could be used to take special attacks like Keldeo easier.
I'd honestly just remove the bulky part; it just seems unnecessary to post specific spreads without telling the reader what they do, and simply saying "more speed can be used for [reasons], at the cost of some bulk" is enough. Running a ridiculous amount of Attack just to KO Terrakion at -1 is pretty dang situational, given how uncommon Terrakion is in the meta and that a relatively healthy Chesnaught investing in defense can handle Terrakion fine anyway.

Also, mention what the SpDef spread does in particular; if doesn't do anything specific I'd remove that as well.

Since Chesnaught has lots of healing sustain already, rocky helmet can be used with spiky shield to ward off physical attackers with more ease. However, leftovers is generally more reliable. Bulletproof is far superior to overgrow as it gives chesnaught some helpful immunities to common attacks such as shadow ball, gyro ball, etc. Leech seed, drain punch, and spiky shield allow Chesnaught to survive longer.
A few things here:
- remove the mention of Rocky Helmet, Chesnaught really needs all the recovery it needs to check various Physical attackers, since it doesn't have the nice resistances that Ferrothorn has or the reliable recovery that other Physical walls like Skarmory have. If you want to keep Rocky Helmet, regulate it to an OO mention.
- don't list the attacks that Bulletproof guards you from, since you already did that in the Overview. Just say "a variety of common attacks"
- edit the last sentence out, you already mentioned this stuff in moves

If not running spiky shield, than use that hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados.
This is fluff, I'd remove this. Just incorporate Wood Hammer into this sentence - "Drain punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, granting Chesnaught some additional damage and health."

Rotom-H provides Chesnaught with some switch in opportunities while also covering it's weaknesses. Rotom-W can also fit this role and Chesnaught covers Rotom-W's grass weakness. Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught
Since Rotom-W has a bigger niche than Rotom-H, mention it first, and also be more specific with what they do exactly besides "covering weaknesses".

move 4: Seed bomb/Rock slide
I'd remove Rock Slide as a slash since Seed Bomb is generally much more useful (and the sole purpose for the main Ability slash in Overgrow), just leave it as a mention in Moves.

Chesnaught certiantly doesn't lack in other options, but several of these are niches. Rock tomb, thunder punch, and stone edge can surprise flying types on the switch and rock tomb can patch up Chesnaughts low speed. Bulldoze also can patch up Chesnaught's low speed. Hammer arm has more power than drain punch, however, drain punch is far superior thanks to it's ability to heal Chesnaught and the fact that it doesn't lower it's low speed.
I wouldn't even mention Rock Tomb / Thunderpunch / Bulldoze, because Chesnaught does not need them, even as techs. The defensive set doesn't need to outspeed anything, and the offensive set would not use these moves anyway. Remove the mention of Hammer Arm as well because neither set would use it over Drain Punch ever.

Pain split and synthesis can also be used for recovery, but Chesnaught already has means to recover health and these are generally wastes of a moveslot. Roar can be used for shuffling opponents and racking up hazard damage. Super fang can dwindle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't deal with using it's normal STAB moves. Toxic is useful for more stall based teams and taunt is fantastic for fazing and stopping set up sweepers. And finally, a set using SubSD salac berry could be interesting if the health drop of belly drum isn't desirable.
I'd remove all of this except for Toxic, Taunt, and Roar. You already mention in the Overview that Chesnaught has severe 4MSS, so overflowing the reader with all these options (like Pain Split?) that Chesnaught will never have space to run, even as techs, isn't great.

**Magic bounce users**; mega Diancie, and mega Sableye are immune to leech seed and can eliminate Chenaught with either super effective moves, or by setting up on it. Although both can be destroyed by the belly drum set.
Sableye can't beat Chesnaught by setting up on it because Chesnaught is immune to its main attack option, Shadow Ball. A better wording would be:

Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed, and can KO Chesnaught with Moonblast and cripple it with a burn, respectively. However, Diancie fears switching into a Grass-type attack, while Mega Sableye is setup fodder for the Belly Drum set.

Alright after all of that, QC 3/3

Last edited:
Addition Uppercase lowercase
Removal
Comment

Chesnaught's great physical bulk allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. It's Its amazing ability Bullet proof Bulletproof grants it immunity's immunities to common attacks such as Shadow Ball, Gyro Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb (All uppercase). It's Its good support movepool with Leech Seed and Spikes (Uppercase) gives it means of supporting the team, but the biggest change to Chesnaught in ORAS has been the addition of Drain Punch (Uppercase). With it, it now doesn't have to rely Chesnaught is no longer reliant (repetitive it) on Hammer Arms (Uppercase), (AC) with its speed drops, and can heal it's health easily sustain itself while also hitting the opponent enemy for decent damage (Seemed to say that it relied on the slow from Hammer Arm, which I assume isn't the case). On top (I'm assuming..?) of that, Chesnaught's naturally high physical bulk, even with no investment, (AC) and in tandem with STAB Drain Punch gives Chesnaught it the ability to be a devastaing devastating Belly Drum sweeper thanks to it's ability to recover chesnaught's health its ability to recover health while sweeping. However, many of the problems that Chesnaught has faced in the past have still come back to haunt it. For a start, it has a huge number of weaknesses that hinder it's its defensive prowess, especially the Flying-type, (AC) considering which is made more problematic with the prevalence (flows better) the high presence of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in the current metagame. It's Its poor special bulk Special Defense hinders inhibits (already used hinder) it even further, meaning it is weak to many common special attackers. It's Chesnaught is (repetetive "Its") also very slow, meaning it can't naturally outspeed opposing walls, (RC) and it has a bit of 4th move slot syndrome (Is not part of the low Speed point). It also suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it is limited by it's move choices. It also Additionally, Chesnaught faces competition from Ferrothorn as a defensive Spiker, who which boasts a better typing and better defenses. Despite all that these drawbacks, (AC) Chesnaught still can be quite a threat if taken lightly under the correct circumstances.

Physical Tank
########
move 1: Leech Seed (Uppercase)
move 4: Wood Hammer / Spiky Shield (Uppercase, added spaces between choices)
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Moves
========
Leech Seed (Uppercase) is Chesnaughts Chesnaught's main form of recovery, and in combination with Spiky Shield, (AC) Chesnaught can heal off recover from a great deal of damage. Drain Punch (Uppercase) is Chesnaught's other form of sustain recovery. Backed by STAB and solid Attack (Uppercase, assuming it is referring to the stat), Chesnaught can heal, (AC) quite a lot of damage while still dishing out damage (Repetitive). Spikes gives Chesnaught utility, (RC) while by punishing Pokemon on the switch switch in. Coupled with his it's high physical bulk, Chesnaught will be setting up spikes for days can set up multiple layers of spikes. A grass type Grass-type STAB, (AC) such as Wood Hammer, (AC) should be used to handle common bulky Water, and Ground-types, (RC) and water/ground types such as Azumarill, Hippowdon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon. Wood Hammer is possesses an impressive base 120 Base Power grass Grass-type STAB move, although but Seed Bomb is a an alternative option that has less powerful move but without the recoil also does not have recoil damage. An alternative to wood hammer a Grass-type STAB would be Chesnaught's signature move, Spiky Shield. This gives Chesnaught more means of sustain recovery in conjunction with Leech Seed while also enabling it to do chip damage and lock choice Choiced Pokemon into their respective moves. It also enables Chesnaught to better handle Gyarados, a huge boon threat for a defensive wall.

Set Details
========

The EV's EVs are standard for a physical tank such as Chesnaught: (added colon), (RC) max Defense and HP to make it as physically bulky as possible. More Attack and Speed can be used for more offensive prowess, at the cost of some bulk. However, Leftovers is generally more reliable. Bulletproof is far superior to overgrow as it gives Chesnaught some helpful immunities to common attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Leech Seed along with with its passive damage and health restoration makes Chesnaught a great tank. Set up Leech Seed up on as soon as possible. Using Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it Chesnaught very much will probably force a switch, and this forced said switch should be capitalized on by by setting up Leech Seed or laying Spikes against the switch-in. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use on against Choiced opponents foes, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond. If not running spiky shield Spiky Shield is not being run, than use that instead use Wood Hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados. Spikes should be used on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but be wary of Defog and Rapid Spin. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Drain Punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, granting Chesnaught some additional damage and health. When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just instead go for the KO with Drain Punch. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions. (Add period) Be wary of special attackers and don't let Chesnaught stay in for long in unfavorable situations. (Add period)

Team Options
========

Chansey can heal status, provide good defensive synergy, and pass wishes contribute Wish support. Heatran covers all of Chesnaught's defensive weaknesses, while Chesnaught covers Heatran's weaknesses to Fire and Water. In addition, Heatran special bulk and Chesnaught's physical bulk complement each other. In addition, (RC) (repetition) Heatran can also set up Stealth Rock to weaken birdspam Flying-types and continually shuffle opponents foes with Roar. Slowbro and Slowking work well together with Chesnaught (Seems to imply that Slowbro and Slowking work together) as well, although Slowking has special bulk to complement Chesnaught's physical bulk, (AC) and has access to Dragon Tail for synergy with entry hazards. Rotom-W provides Chesnaught with some switch in switch-in opportunities while covering it's its weaknesses as well as having it's Rotom's weakness to Grass covered by Chesnaught. Rotom-H can also fit this role and Chesnaught. Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught since because having it's its Spikes being removed by Rapid Spin would really suck reduce its effectiveness.

Sanic and Knuckles
########
move 4: Seed Bomb
ability: Overgrow / Bulletproof (Uppercase, added spaces in between choices)
EV's: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========
While it might seem outclassed by other Belly Drum users such as Azumarill at first, Chesnaught has access to STAB Drain Punch for recovery as well as reliable bulk, (AC) which allow it to be very threatening when set up. It's also able to set up on some of the more common OU threats such as Mega Sableye, Rotom-W, Landorous-T, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Gyrados Gyarados. Substitute is used to help Chesnaught activate the Salac Berry and get a Belly Drum up safely. Belly drum is used to set up (duh) (unnecessary). Seed Bomb is the preferred STAB choice here for this set, as Wood Hammer's recoil just doesn't work out for this kind of set reduces Chesnaught's survivability (More specific and descriptive). Alternatively, Chesnaught can run Rock Slide to defeat deal with Pokemon such as ammongus Amoonguss, (AC) and Celebi, while also allowing chesnaught to beat pokemon such as Talonflame, (AC) and Mega Pinsir behind a sub. Drain Punch is a phenomenal move for Chesnuaght here; the health recovery gives Chesnaught an excellent mean of sustain means of recovery to complement Substitute and it's its naturally high bulk.

Set Details
========

12 HP EV's EVs are used to ensure you hit 25% of your health to activate your Salac Berry and keep as much health as possible. The rest of the EV's are put into Attack and then Speed for offense. Salac Berry is crucial for Chesnaught to sweep, as the Speed boost will enable Chesnaught to outpace it's foes. The ability choice comes down to preference. Overgrow has a little more use and is the preferred ability here as it gives Chesnaught some extra power at low health, enough to OHKO Latios with Seed Bomb. However, Bulletproof can be used to set up easier on Pokemon like such as Gengar, Sableye, Venasaur, and other Pokemon with Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Do not try to set up Chesnaught first turn; keep this thing healthy by trying to get rush to set up Chesnaught, but instead wait until a good opportunity for Chesnaught it to set up appears. Switching into Pokemon that Chenaught can counter normally will allow Chesnaught to have an easier time setting up. Try to lock Pokemon into moves that normally wouldn't hurt Chesnaught, such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Excadrill and Landorous's Landorus's Earthquake, etc. Setting up Substitute will allow Chesnaught to safely set up on Pokemon that can cripple it with a burn, such as Mega Sableye. If your opponent has Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught once it has sets set up, eliminate them first before trying to set up; (Remove semicolon) YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE (unnecessary). Chesnaught can still reliable reliably take some physical hits and even heal up with Drain Punch if it needs to, (RC); (Added semicolon) feel free to do so if Chesnaught needs to switch into one of it's typical counters such as an unboosted Bisharp and or Excadrill. Make sure that all the Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught at +6 Attack such as Amoongus, Celebi, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are off the field, unless Chesnaught still has a sub Substitute up when they switch in. Once you set up, watch as Chesnaught completely obliterates the opposition. Using Drain Punch at the earliest oppurtunity opportunity is crucial to this set, (RC) in order to restore the health lost from Belly Drum as Chesnaught's physical bulk can still take some hits.

Team Options
========
Slow U-turners U-turn and volt switchers Volt Switch users are crucial for Chesnaught, as they can give it a switch-in opportunity to set-up set up. Magnezone provides a slow Volt Switch for Chesnaught and can ward off Skarmory for Chesnaught (repetitive). Scizor and Mega Scizor can provide a slow U-turn, Defog, and Knock Off support for Chesnaught so that it can get a great set-up setup oppurtunity. Rotom-W also is a great volt switcher Volt Switch user, as well as having the ability to while also being able to take care of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, two Pokemon who that can eliminate Chesnaught if it doesn't have a sub Substitute up. Rotom-H is also a another great volt switcher Volt Switch user capable of taking care of Amoongus and Celebi, two Pokemon that can wall this set. Heatran can set up rocks for Chesnaught while also providing good synergy for Chesnaught's typing. Defog and Rapid Spin support is crucial also essential to Chesnaught in order for it to stay healthy. Skarmory can also provide some hazards or Defog support for Chesnaught.

Other Options
########

Chesnaught certiantly certainly doesn't lack in other options, but several of these are niches. Stone Edge can surprise flying types Flying-types on the switch (looking at you Talonflame).(Add period) Substitute on the defensive set can be used for a way to handle status, and can be used well in combination with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed. Roar can be used for shuffling opponents and racking up hazard damage. Super Fang can dwindle whittle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't deal with using it's normal STAB moves. Toxic is useful for more stall based teams and Taunt is fantastic for fazing and stopping set up sweepers.

Checks & Counters (Additional line required after each Check/Counter)
########
**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir all threaten our Chesnaught with their 4x super effective STAB moves. They do not appreciate switching into Leech Seed, however, and can be defeated by the Belly Drum set. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir do check the Belly Drum set, however.
**Taunt**: Chesnaught still hits reasonably hard with Drain Punch, (RC); (add semicolon) however it can easily be shut down by faster Taunt users such as Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Mew. (remove period) Taunt can also , (AC) as it prevent prevents Chesnaught from setting up Belly Drum.
**Mega venasaur Venusaur**: Mega Venasaur Venusaur isn't affected by Leech Seed, can shrug off Drain Punch if carrying synthesis (unnecessary), and deal heavy damage to Chesnaught if lacking carrying HP Fire.
**Fire-types**: Charizard, Heatran, Volcarona, and Mega Camerupt all threaten Chesnaught with their respective STAB moves, though they don't appreciate Leech Seed and are destroyed by Belly Drum boosted attacks.
**Fairy Types**: Gardevior Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Altaria and Clefable all can take care of Chesnaught and Clefable's with through Magic Guard don't even have to worry about ,(AC) as it negates Leech Seed. Clefable with Unaware completely shuts down the Belly Drum set,(AC) and Gardevior Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria can bypass sub Substitute via Hyper Voice. with hyper voice.
**Magic Bounce users**; Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed, and can KO Chesnaught with Moonblast and cripple it with a burn, respectively. However, Diancie fears switching into a Grass-type attack, while Mega Sableye is setup fodder for the Belly Drum set, when Chesnaught is behind a Substitute. (Clarification).
**Psychic-types**: Psychic types such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, the Lati Twins, Gothitelle, Slowbro, and Medicham all threaten with their super effective moves. Even physical ones such as Gallade and Medicham can eliminate Chesnaught with enough damage. Though most of these Pokemon don't appreciate Leech Seed and Spiky Shield damage, (AC) and they can only check the Belly Drum set.
**Hazard removers Rapid Spin and Defog users**: Chesnaught has to worry about Defoggers such as Latias and Mandibuzz from removing the Spikes that Chesnaught set up.
**Gengar**: Gengar can threaten to burn Chesnaught, and or set up a sub. or Gengar is also capable of OHKO OHKOing with it's its STAB Sludge Wave. However, Chesnaught can OHKO Gengar at +6 while also outpacing outspeeding (outpaced used before) it .

First amcheck, apologies for errors. Also, caps everyone~ ;n;

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Removal
Comment

Chesnaught's great physical bulk allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. It's Its amazing ability Bullet proof Bulletproof grants it immunity's immunities to common attacks such as Shadow Ball, Gyro Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb (All uppercase). It's Its good support movepool with Leech Seed and Spikes (Uppercase) gives it means of supporting the team, but the biggest change to Chesnaught in ORAS has been the addition of Drain Punch (Uppercase). With it, it now doesn't have to rely Chesnaught is no longer reliant (repetitive it) on Hammer Arms (Uppercase), (AC) with its speed drops, and can heal it's health easily sustain itself while also hitting the opponent enemy for decent damage (Seemed to say that it relied on the slow from Hammer Arm, which I assume isn't the case). On top (I'm assuming..?) of that, Chesnaught's naturally high physical bulk, even with no investment, (AC) and in tandem with STAB Drain Punch gives Chesnaught it the ability to be a devastaing devastating Belly Drum sweeper thanks to it's ability to recover chesnaught's health its ability to recover health while sweeping. However, many of the problems that Chesnaught has faced in the past have still come back to haunt it. For a start, it has a huge number of weaknesses that hinder it's its defensive prowess, especially the Flying-type, (AC) considering which is made more problematic with the prevalence (flows better) the high presence of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in the current metagame. It's Its poor special bulk Special Defense hinders inhibits (already used hinder) it even further, meaning it is weak to many common special attackers. It's Chesnaught is (repetetive "Its") also very slow, meaning it can't naturally outspeed opposing walls, (RC) and it has a bit of 4th move slot syndrome (Is not part of the low Speed point). It also suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it is limited by it's move choices. It also Additionally, Chesnaught faces competition from Ferrothorn as a defensive Spiker, who which boasts a better typing and better defenses. Despite all that these drawbacks, (AC) Chesnaught still can be quite a threat if taken lightly under the correct circumstances.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========
Leech Seed (Uppercase) is Chesnaughts Chesnaught's main form of recovery, and in combination with Spiky Shield, (AC) Chesnaught can heal off recover from a great deal of damage. Drain Punch (Uppercase) is Chesnaught's other form of sustain recovery. Backed by STAB and solid Attack (Uppercase, assuming it is referring to the stat), Chesnaught can heal, (AC) quite a lot of damage while still dishing out damage (Repetitive). Spikes gives Chesnaught utility, (RC) while by punishing Pokemon on the switch switch in. Coupled with his it's high physical bulk, Chesnaught will be setting up spikes for days can set up multiple layers of spikes. A grass type Grass-type STAB, (AC) such as Wood Hammer, (AC) should be used to handle common bulky Water, and Ground-types, (RC) and water/ground types such as Azumarill, Hippowdon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon. Wood Hammer is possesses an impressive base 120 Base Power grass Grass-type STAB move, although but Seed Bomb is a an alternative option that has less powerful move but without the recoil also does not have recoil damage. An alternative to wood hammer a Grass-type STAB would be Chesnaught's signature move, Spiky Shield. This gives Chesnaught more means of sustain recovery in conjunction with Leech Seed while also enabling it to do chip damage and lock choice Choiced Pokemon into their respective moves. It also enables Chesnaught to better handle Gyarados, a huge boon threat for a defensive wall.

Set Details
========

The EV's EVs are standard for a physical tank such as Chesnaught: (added colon), (RC) max Defense and HP to make it as physically bulky as possible. More Attack and Speed can be used for more offensive prowess, at the cost of some bulk. However, Leftovers is generally more reliable. Bulletproof is far superior to overgrow as it gives Chesnaught some helpful immunities to common attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Leech Seed along with with its passive damage and health restoration makes Chesnaught a great tank. Set up Leech Seed up on as soon as possible. Using Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it Chesnaught very much will probably force a switch, and this forced said switch should be capitalized on by by setting up Leech Seed or laying Spikes against the switch-in. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use on against Choiced opponents foes, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond. If not running spiky shield Spiky Shield is not being run, than use that instead use Wood Hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados. Spikes should be used on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but be wary of Defog and Rapid Spin. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Drain Punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, granting Chesnaught some additional damage and health. When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just instead go for the KO with Drain Punch. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions. (Add period) Be wary of special attackers and don't let Chesnaught stay in for long in unfavorable situations. (Add period)

Team Options
========

Chansey can heal status, provide good defensive synergy, and pass wishes contribute Wish support. Heatran covers all of Chesnaught's defensive weaknesses, while Chesnaught covers Heatran's weaknesses to Fire and Water. In addition, Heatran special bulk and Chesnaught's physical bulk complement each other. In addition, (RC) (repetition) Heatran can also set up Stealth Rock to weaken birdspam Flying-types and continually shuffle opponents foes with Roar. Slowbro and Slowking work well together with Chesnaught (Seems to imply that Slowbro and Slowking work together) as well, although Slowking has special bulk to complement Chesnaught's physical bulk, (AC) and has access to Dragon Tail for synergy with entry hazards. Rotom-W provides Chesnaught with some switch in switch-in opportunities while covering it's its weaknesses as well as having it's Rotom's weakness to Grass covered by Chesnaught. Rotom-H can also fit this role and Chesnaught. Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught since because having it's its Spikes being removed by Rapid Spin would really suck reduce its effectiveness.

Sanic and Knuckles
########

Moves
========
While it might seem outclassed by other Belly Drum users such as Azumarill at first, Chesnaught has access to STAB Drain Punch for recovery as well as reliable bulk, (AC) which allow it to be very threatening when set up. It's also able to set up on some of the more common OU threats such as Mega Sableye, Rotom-W, Landorous-T, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Gyrados Gyarados. Substitute is used to help Chesnaught activate the Salac Berry and get a Belly Drum up safely. Belly drum is used to set up (duh) (unnecessary). Seed Bomb is the preferred STAB choice here for this set, as Wood Hammer's recoil just doesn't work out for this kind of set reduces Chesnaught's survivability (More specific and descriptive). Alternatively, Chesnaught can run Rock Slide to defeat deal with Pokemon such as ammongus Amoonguss, (AC) and Celebi, while also allowing chesnaught to beat pokemon such as Talonflame, (AC) and Mega Pinsir behind a sub. Drain Punch is a phenomenal move for Chesnuaght here; the health recovery gives Chesnaught an excellent mean of sustain means of recovery to complement Substitute and it's its naturally high bulk.

Set Details
========

12 HP EV's EVs are used to ensure you hit 25% of your health to activate your Salac Berry and keep as much health as possible. The rest of the EV's are put into Attack and then Speed for offense. Salac Berry is crucial for Chesnaught to sweep, as the Speed boost will enable Chesnaught to outpace it's foes. The ability choice comes down to preference. Overgrow has a little more use and is the preferred ability here as it gives Chesnaught some extra power at low health, enough to OHKO Latios with Seed Bomb. However, Bulletproof can be used to set up easier on Pokemon like such as Gengar, Sableye, Venasaur, and other Pokemon with Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Do not try to set up Chesnaught first turn; keep this thing healthy by trying to get rush to set up Chesnaught, but instead wait until a good opportunity for Chesnaught it to set up appears. Switching into Pokemon that Chenaught can counter normally will allow Chesnaught to have an easier time setting up. Try to lock Pokemon into moves that normally wouldn't hurt Chesnaught, such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Excadrill and Landorous's Landorus's Earthquake, etc. Setting up Substitute will allow Chesnaught to safely set up on Pokemon that can cripple it with a burn, such as Mega Sableye. If your opponent has Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught once it has sets set up, eliminate them first before trying to set up; (Remove semicolon) YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE (unnecessary). Chesnaught can still reliable reliably take some physical hits and even heal up with Drain Punch if it needs to, (RC); (Added semicolon) feel free to do so if Chesnaught needs to switch into one of it's typical counters such as an unboosted Bisharp and or Excadrill. Make sure that all the Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught at +6 Attack such as Amoongus, Celebi, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are off the field, unless Chesnaught still has a sub Substitute up when they switch in. Once you set up, watch as Chesnaught completely obliterates the opposition. Using Drain Punch at the earliest oppurtunity opportunity is crucial to this set, (RC) in order to restore the health lost from Belly Drum as Chesnaught's physical bulk can still take some hits.

Team Options
========
Slow U-turners U-turn and volt switchers Volt Switch users are crucial for Chesnaught, as they can give it a switch-in opportunity to set-up set up. Magnezone provides a slow Volt Switch for Chesnaught and can ward off Skarmory for Chesnaught (repetitive). Scizor and Mega Scizor can provide a slow U-turn, Defog, and Knock Off support for Chesnaught so that it can get a great set-up setup oppurtunity. Rotom-W also is a great volt switcher Volt Switch user, as well as having the ability to while also being able to take care of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, two Pokemon who that can eliminate Chesnaught if it doesn't have a sub Substitute up. Rotom-H is also a another great volt switcher Volt Switch user capable of taking care of Amoongus and Celebi, two Pokemon that can wall this set. Heatran can set up rocks for Chesnaught while also providing good synergy for Chesnaught's typing. Defog and Rapid Spin support is crucial also essential to Chesnaught in order for it to stay healthy. Skarmory can also provide some hazards or Defog support for Chesnaught.

Other Options
########

Chesnaught certiantly certainly doesn't lack in other options, but several of these are niches. Stone Edge can surprise flying types Flying-types on the switch (looking at you Talonflame).(Add period) Substitute on the defensive set can be used for a way to handle status, and can be used well in combination with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed. Roar can be used for shuffling opponents and racking up hazard damage. Super Fang can dwindle whittle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't deal with using it's normal STAB moves. Toxic is useful for more stall based teams and Taunt is fantastic for fazing and stopping set up sweepers.

########
**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir all threaten our Chesnaught with their 4x super effective STAB moves. They do not appreciate switching into Leech Seed, however, and can be defeated by the Belly Drum set. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir do check the Belly Drum set, however.
**Taunt**: Chesnaught still hits reasonably hard with Drain Punch, (RC); (add semicolon) however it can easily be shut down by faster Taunt users such as Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Mew. (remove period) Taunt can also , (AC) as it prevent prevents Chesnaught from setting up Belly Drum.
**Mega venasaur Venusaur**: Mega Venasaur Venusaur isn't affected by Leech Seed, can shrug off Drain Punch if carrying synthesis (unnecessary), and deal heavy damage to Chesnaught if lacking carrying HP Fire.
**Fire-types**: Charizard, Heatran, Volcarona, and Mega Camerupt all threaten Chesnaught with their respective STAB moves, though they don't appreciate Leech Seed and are destroyed by Belly Drum boosted attacks.
**Fairy Types**: Gardevior Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Altaria and Clefable all can take care of Chesnaught and Clefable's with through Magic Guard don't even have to worry about ,(AC) as it negates Leech Seed. Clefable with Unaware completely shuts down the Belly Drum set,(AC) and Gardevior Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria can bypass sub Substitute via Hyper Voice. with hyper voice.
**Magic Bounce users**; Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed, and can KO Chesnaught with Moonblast and cripple it with a burn, respectively. However, Diancie fears switching into a Grass-type attack, while Mega Sableye is setup fodder for the Belly Drum set, when Chesnaught is behind a Substitute. (Clarification).
**Psychic-types**: Psychic types such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, the Lati Twins, Gothitelle, Slowbro, and Medicham all threaten with their super effective moves. Even physical ones such as Gallade and Medicham can eliminate Chesnaught with enough damage. Though most of these Pokemon don't appreciate Leech Seed and Spiky Shield damage, (AC) and they can only check the Belly Drum set.
**Hazard removers Rapid Spin and Defog users**: Chesnaught has to worry about Defoggers such as Latias and Mandibuzz from removing the Spikes that Chesnaught set up.
**Gengar**: Gengar can threaten to burn Chesnaught, and or set up a sub. or Gengar is also capable of OHKO OHKOing with it's its STAB Sludge Wave. However, Chesnaught can OHKO Gengar at +6 while also outpacing outspeeding (outpaced used before) it .

We went over this on IRC. This check is solid; please implement it. :)

GP 1/2

Removal
Comment

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Sanic and Knuckles
########

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

########

Implemented everything. Thanks a ton!

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove comments
Overview
########

[OVERVIEW]
[add blank line]

Chesnaught's great physical bulk allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. Its amazing ability Bulletproof grants it immunities to common attacks such as Shadow Ball, Gyro Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb. Its good support movepool with Leech Seed and Spikes gives it means of supporting the team, but the biggest change to Chesnaught in ORAS has been the addition of Drain Punch. With it, Chesnaught is no longer reliant on Hammer Arm, which drops Chesnaught's Speed with its speed drops, and can sustain itself while also hitting the enemy for decent damage. On top of that, Chesnaught's naturally high physical bulk, even with no investment, and in tandem with access to STAB Drain Punch gives it the ability to be a devastating Belly Drum sweeper thanks to its ability to recover health while sweeping. However, many of the problems that Chesnaught has faced in the past have still come back to haunt it. For a start, [rc] it has a huge number of weaknesses that hinder its defensive prowess, especially to Flying the Flying-type, which is made more problematic with the prevalence of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in the current metagame. Its poor Special Defense inhibits it even further, meaning it is weak to many common special attackers. It's also very slow, meaning it can't naturally outspeed opposing walls. It also suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it is limited by its [remove apostrophe] move choices. Additionally, Chesnaught faces competition from Ferrothorn as a defensive Spiker, who which boasts a better typing and defenses. Despite these drawbacks, Chesnaught still can be quite a threat under the correct circumstances.

[SET]
Physical Tank
########
move 1: Leech Seed
move 4: Wood Hammer / Spiky Shield

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
Leech Seed is Chesnaught's main form of recovery, [rc] and allows it to recover a lot of HP when used in combination with Spiky Shield, [rc] Chesnaught can recover from a great deal of damage. Drain Punch is Chesnaught's other form of sustain recovery. Backed by STAB and solid Attack, Drain Punch allows Chesnaught to can heal, [rc] itself while still dishing out damage. Spikes gives Chesnaught utility, [rc] while by punishing opposing Pokemon as they on switch in. Coupled with it's high physical bulk, [rc] Chesnaught can set up multiple layers of spikes due to its high physical bulk. A Grass-type STAB, [rc] such as Wood Hammer has an impressive Base Power of 120 and is a STAB move and can, [rc] should be used to handle common bulky Water- [hyphen], [rc] and Ground-types [unbold the hyphen in Ground-types], [rc] and water/ground types such as Azumarill, Hippowdon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon. Wood Hammer possesses an impressive 120 BasePower Grass-type STAB move, but Alternatively, [ac] Seed Bomb can be used for it lack of recoil damage, [ac] but it is an alternative option that has less power but also does not have recoil damage. An alternative to wood hammer a Grass-type STAB would be Chesnaught's signature move, [rc] Spiky Shield could also allow. [remove period] This gives Chesnaught to recover more HP means of recovery in conjunction with Leech Seed while also enabling it to deal do chip damage, [ac] and lock Choiced Pokemon into their respective moves, [comma > period] and enable It also enables Chesnaught to better handle Gyarados, a huge boon for a defensive wall.

Set Details
========

The EVs are standard for a physical tank such as Chesnaught: maximize Defense and HP to make it as physically bulky as possible. More Attack and Speed can be used for more offensive prowess, [rc] at the cost of some bulk. However, Leftovers is generally more reliable [more reliable than what? how does Leftovers relate to Attack and Speed EVs?]. Bulletproof is far superior to Overgrow, [ac] as it gives Chesnaught some helpful immunities to common attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Leech Seed with its passive damage and health restoration makes Chesnaught a great tank. Set Leech Seed up on as soon as possible. Using Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt Chesnaught very much will probably force a switch, and said switch should be capitalized on by setting up Leech Seed or laying Spikes against the switch-in. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use against Choiced foes, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond. If Spiky Shield is not being run, than instead use Wood Hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados. Spikes should be used on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but be wary of Defog and Rapid Spin. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Drain Punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, as it deals damage and gives granting Chesnaught some additional damage and health back. When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes, [ac] as using them causes Chesnaught to take taking unnecessary damage; go for the KO with Drain Punch. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions. Be wary of special attackers and don't let Chesnaught stay in for long in unfavorable situations.

Team Options
========

Chansey can heal status, provide good defensive synergy, and contribute Wish support. Heatran covers all of Chesnaught's defensive weaknesses, while Chesnaught covers Heatran's weaknesses to Fire and Water. In addition, Heatran's special bulk and Chesnaught's physical bulk complement each other. Heatran can also set up Stealth Rock to weaken Flying-types and continually shuffle foes with Roar. Slowbro and Slowking work well with Chesnaught as well, and although Slowking has special bulk to complement Chesnaught's physical bulk, [rc] and has access to Dragon Tail for synergy with entry hazards. Rotom-W provides Chesnaught with some switch-in opportunities while covering its weaknesses as well; [semi] as having Rotom-W's weakness to Grass is covered by Chesnaught. Rotom-H can also fit this role for Chesnaught. Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught because having its Spikes being removed by Rapid Spin would reduce its effectiveness.

[SET]
Sanic and Knuckles
########
ability: Overgrow / Bulletproof

evs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
While it might seem outclassed by other Belly Drum users such as Azumarill at first, Chesnaught has access to STAB Drain Punch for recovery as well as reliable bulk, which allow it to be very threatening when it has set up. Chesnaught is It's also able to set up on some of the more common OU threats such as Mega Sableye, [add space] Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Gyarados. Substitute is used to help Chesnaught activate the Salac Berry and use get a Belly Drum up safely. Seed Bomb is the preferred STAB move choice here for this set, as Wood Hammer's recoil damage reduces Chesnaught's survivability. Alternatively, Chesnaught can run Rock Slide to deal with Pokemon such as Amoonguss, and Celebi, allowing Chesnaught to beat pokemon such as Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir behind a sub. Drain Punch is a phenomenal move for Chesnuaght here; the health recovery gives Chesnaught an excellent means of recovery to complement Substitute and its naturally high bulk.

Set Details
========

12 HP EVs are used to ensure you hit Chesnaught hits 25% of your health to activate your Salac Berry and keep as much health as possible. The rest of the EVs [remove apostrophe] are put into Attack and then Speed for offense. Salac Berry is crucial for Chesnaught to sweep, as the Speed boost will enable Chesnaught to outpace its [remove apostrophe] foes. The ability choice comes down to preference. Overgrow is the preferred ability here, [ac] as it gives Chesnaught some extra power at low health, [rc] enough extra power to OHKO Latios with Seed Bomb when Chesnaught is at low health. However, Bulletproof allows it can be used to set up easier on Pokemon such as Gengar, Sableye, Venasaur, and other Pokemon with Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Do not rush to set up Chesnaught, but instead wait until a good opportunity for it to set up appears. Switching into Pokemon that Chesnaught can counter normally will allow it Chesnaught to have an easier time setting up. Try to lock Pokemon into moves that normally wouldn't hurt Chesnaught, such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Excadrill and Landorus's Earthquake, etc. Setting up Substitute will allow Chesnaught to safely set up on Pokemon that can cripple it with a burn, such as Mega Sableye. If your opponent has Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught once it has set up, eliminate them first before trying to set up. Chesnaught can still reliably take some physical hits and even heal up with Drain Punch if it needs to; feel free to do so if Chesnaught needs to switch into one of its [remove apostrophe] typical counters such as an unboosted Bisharp or Excadrill. Make sure that all the Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught at +6 Attack such as Amoongus, Celebi, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are off the field, unless Chesnaught still has a Substitute up when they switch in. Once you set up, watch as Chesnaught completely obliterates the opposition. Using Drain Punch at the earliest opportunity is crucial to this set in order to restore the health lost from Belly Drum. [period] as Chesnaught's

Team Options
========
Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users are crucial for Chesnaught, as they can switch it in safely and give it an a switch-in opportunity to set up. Magnezone provides a slow Volt Switch for Chesnaught and can ward off Skarmory for Chesnaught, [comma > period] while Scizor and Mega Scizor can provide a slow U-turn, Defog, and Knock Off support for Chesnaught so that it can get a great setup oppurtunity. Rotom-W also is a great Volt Switch user and is, [rc] while also being able to take care of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, which are two Pokemon that can eliminate Chesnaught if it doesn't have a Substitute set up. Rotom-H is another great Volt Switch user capable of taking care of Amoongus and Celebi, which two Pokemon that can wall this set. Heatran can set up Stealth Rock and provide rocks for Chesnaught while also providing good synergy with for Chesnaught's typing. Defog and Rapid Spin support is also essential to Chesnaught in order for it to stay healthy as it switches in. Skarmory can set up entry hazards and also provide some hazards or Defog support for Chesnaught.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########
=============

Chesnaught certainly doesn't lack in other options, but several of these are niches. Stone Edge can surprise Flying-types on the switch. Substitute on the defensive set can be used to give Chesnaught for a way to handle status, and it can be used well in combination with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed. Roar can be used for shuffling foes opponents and racking up entry hazard damage. Super Fang can whittle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't damage with its usual deal with using it's normal STAB moves. Toxic is useful on for more stall-based teams, [ac] and Taunt is fantastic for fazing phazing and stopping setup sweepers.

Checks & and Counters
########
=============
[add blank line]
**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir all threaten Chesnaught with their 4x super effective STAB moves. They do not appreciate switching into Leech Seed, however, and can be defeated by the Belly Drum set. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir do check the Belly Drum set, though however.

**Taunt**: Chesnaught still hits reasonably hard with Drain Punch; however, [ac] it can easily be shut down by faster Taunt users such as Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Mew. Taunt prevents Chesnaught from setting up Belly Drum.

**Mega Venusaur**: Mega Venusaur isn't affected by Leech Seed, can shrug off Drain Punch if carrying Synthesis, and deal heavy damage to Chesnaught with Hidden Power if carrying HP Fire.
[add blank line]
**Fire-types**: [unbold the asterisks] Fire-types such as Charizard, Heatran, Volcarona, and Mega Camerupt all threaten Chesnaught with their respective STAB moves, though they don't appreciate Leech Seed and are destroyed by Belly Drum-boosted attacks.

**Fairy-types**: Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Altaria and Clefable all can take care of Chesnaught. Particularly Clefable is a good answer to Chesnaught, as its it's Magic Guard ability negates.[remove period] Leech Seed, [comma > period] and Clefable with Unaware it completely shuts down the Belly Drum set. [period > comma] and Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria can bypass Substitute with Hyper Voice.

**Magic Bounce users**: [colon instead of semicolon] Magic Bounce users can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed. [period] Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye in particular can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed, [rc] and can KO Chesnaught with Moonblast and cripple it with a burn, respectively. However, Diancie fears switching into a Grass-type attack, while Mega Sableye is setup fodder for the Belly Drum set, [rc] when Chesnaught is behind a Substitute.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, Latios, [ac] Latias the Lati Twins, Gothitelle, Slowbro, and Medicham all threaten Chesnaught with their super effective moves. Even physical ones attackers such as Gallade and Medicham can eliminate Chesnaught with enough damage. Though However, [ac] most of these Pokemon don't appreciate taking Leech Seed and Spiky Shield damage, and they can only check the Belly Drum set.

**Rapid Spin and Defog users**: Rapid Spin and Defog users Chesnaught has to worry about Defoggers such as Latias and Mandibuzz can remove from removing the Spikes [add space] that Chesnaught set up.
[add blank line]
**Gengar**: Gengar can set up Substitute or threaten to burn or OHKO Chesnaught, [rc] or set up a sub. Gengar is also capable of OHKOing with its with Will-O-Wisp and STAB Sludge Wave, [ac] respectively. However, Chesnaught can outspeed and OHKO Gengar at +6 while also outspeeding it.
2/2
There were a lot of things that were removed in Starbloom's check but still present in the analysis with her corrected version; for example, "Chesnaught's other form of sustain recovery" was written when it should have just been recovery. Make sure to not copy and paste checks when implementing :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)