Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle while not that good is also capable of setting up two types of hazards and having a gimmick against Sableye

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spore/Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes/Sticky Web/Taunt
- Skill Swap

Well, there's this Suicide Lead TFL posted here.

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
Thanks for all the help but this was exactly the kind of set i was looking for :) if its arse in HO i guess ill use chimp or chomp or something like azelf :p

Well, there's this Suicide Lead TFL posted here.

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
Is Salac Berry run because Custap isn't available (iirc)? Or is the generally higher speed preferred for the possibility of multiple turns of setup?

Is Salac Berry run because Custap isn't available (iirc)? Or is the generally higher speed preferred for the possibility of multiple turns of setup?
Shh dont mention custap (sniff) anyway if salac is activated is cuz you re at sturdy so you can setup 1/2 hazards if the other poke doesnt have priority. Id prefer custap but salac is good enough too as all you need is SR and 1 layer of spikes, 2 is a huge plus and 3 well if your opponent lets you setup up SR+3 layers of spikes he just dumb or is packing something that doednt care of hazards (like flygon lol).

Haven't been on Showdown in awhile and just trying to re-acquaint myself with the metagame. Looking at some of the new popular Pokemon and threats and I was looking at Mega Gallade. Obviously SD Gallade is a huge threat with its immediate power, but is a Bulk Up Gallade not viable? Perhaps one that is a little more tank-ish and utilizing the decent recovery provided by drain punch.

Haven't been on Showdown in awhile and just trying to re-acquaint myself with the metagame. Looking at some of the new popular Pokemon and threats and I was looking at Mega Gallade. Obviously SD Gallade is a huge threat with its immediate power, but is a Bulk Up Gallade not viable? Perhaps one that is a little more tank-ish and utilizing the decent recovery provided by drain punch.
It's viable if you know how to use it right. As with anything.

It's viable if you know how to use it right. As with anything.
So you're saying Jinx is viable? You're saying Unfezant is viable? No you are completely wrong. There are some Pokemon who are complete garbage even if you know how to use them.
Bulk Up Gallade does have it's uses. SD is usually the way to go, since Gallade has no reliable recovery outside of DP, but Bulk Up is great if you have the right team support. Wish passers or Healing Wish team mates like Chansey and Latias are great partners, but the thing with SD is that it requires very little team support to work correctly. Bulk Up, however, makes Gallade a very bulky Pokemon that is hard to stop once it gets going. It's obviously up to you, but I believe SD is better in the current meta.

Last edited:
What would be the amount of speed modest mega altaria should run? Is there anything important to out speed besides adamant bisharp?

Tbh I'd run enough for jolly bisharp, which although it requires a timid nature getting that extra jump is really helpful.
Well on timid I run enough for timid Tran usually, I was just curious about for a modest spread since I hatched a flawless shiny one on my cartridge and would like to use it

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can always take a look at the ORAS OU Speed Tiers thread in the Victory Road subforum -- it's a great reference thread -- and you can see the important stuff you want to outspeed before and after a DD.

Max speed investment is probably fine but you might not need it - I agree with boltsandbombers that Bisharp is probably the most relevant benchmark, but a few more speed EVs will allow you to outspeed base 115s after you DD so thats an option

edit: I now realize if you're Modest you probably won't run a DD set lol. Either way speed tiers is a great thread worth looking at whenever you're wondering how much speed to run

Last edited:
Does Magic Bounce trigger Sleep Clause?

Like, if I reflected a Spore/Hypnosis, and they already had something asleep, what would happen?

Minor question on proper role/usage.

Is a suicide lead named such because it's IDEAL for it to faint after doing its job, or just because it's expendable after doing so? Like, if I use a suicide lead Mamoswine, should I ACTIVELY play reckless after laying Rocks, or should I just be WILLING to play risky? Sorry if this sounds vague or weird wording.

Minor question on proper role/usage.

Is a suicide lead named such because it's IDEAL for it to faint after doing its job, or just because it's expendable after doing so? Like, if I use a suicide lead Mamoswine, should I ACTIVELY play reckless after laying Rocks, or should I just be WILLING to play risky? Sorry if this sounds vague or weird wording.
For a suicide lead, you usually try and sac it in order to generate a free switch, which is important in an HO team. However, if you can find a risk-free switch-in for one of your wallbreakers, it may be beneficial to take advantage of that free switch-in over sacking your suicide lead. If nothing else it lets you sac it later for a free switch, which may be harder to generate later in the battle. I think it really depends on the situation at hand. Hopefully this answers your question.

For a suicide lead, you usually try and sac it in order to generate a free switch, which is important in an HO team. However, if you can find a risk-free switch-in for one of your wallbreakers, it may be beneficial to take advantage of that free switch-in over sacking your suicide lead. If nothing else it lets you sac it later for a free switch, which may be harder to generate later in the battle. I think it really depends on the situation at hand. Hopefully this answers your question.
Seems like the kind of answer I was looking for. Main reason I had the question was because I'm trying to understand the exact difference in the role of a lead vs a SUICIDE lead in particular.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
ive seen omastar is B rank in the VR thread and all they talk about is the specs rain set. Muh question is : is the double hazard stacking set viable too in OU as it is in RU? And if not is there a good double stacker in OU(SR+spikes) that is fit for Hyper Offense ? (skarm has both but isnt a suicide lead).
Suicide Lead Skarmory is a set which can be found here. Double hazard Ferrothorn can usually fit on offense but its pretty slow for HO standards. I mean of course you can always try using lower tier stuff that fits the role of double stacking and see if it works. It doesn't hurt to try.

Edit: Man those ninjas.

Suicide Lead Skarmory is a set which can be found here. Double hazard Ferrothorn can usually fit on offense but its pretty slow for HO standards. I mean of course you can always try using lower tier stuff that fits the role of double stacking and see if it works. It doesn't hurt to try.

Edit: Man those ninjas.
Is it really ninjad when its 2 days later tho? Lol btw i saw the set and that u used one with mental herb and tailwind, in your experience which is more useful? I mean isnt usually HO filled with fast mons so is really tailwind support good on HO?

Brave Bird on TFL's set lets you stop defog and rapid spinning, while also grabbing momentum for the team by allowing you to get a sweeper in for free.
Mental Herb and Tailwind means you can't taunt skarm, but it makes defogging a bit better.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Is it really ninjad when its 2 days later tho? Lol btw i saw the set and that u used one with mental herb and tailwind, in your experience which is more useful? I mean isnt usually HO filled with fast mons so is really tailwind support good on HO?
The set I used is to get a jump on stuff such as Azelf and other anti-leads which will naturally Taunt, activate the Mental Herb, while I Tailwind and Taunt them back. It has 0 offensive presence and as such it's dedicated to that of a true suicide lead. Taunt, Tailwind, Spikes, SR is the set with max HP and Speed Jolly nature. I can't really tell you which one is better since I haven't used TFL's set enough to give a positive opinion on it. You'll have to try both. Seems more team dependent than anything really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)