NU Mesprit

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

lake god
QC: Hollywood / Dat Blast / CanadianWifier
GP: frenzyplant / P Squared

Taken over from Hollywood

Overview
########

Mesprit is the most versatile Pokemon in NU thanks to its outstanding offensive and support movepool, which is backed by solid all-around stats. It can be used for many roles, such as a wallbreaker with Life Orb, Choice Band, or Choice Specs, a revenge killer with Choice Scarf, and a win condition with Calm Mind. Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Signal Beam / Energy Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Healing Wish / Calm Mind
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

Psychic is a strong STAB move that hits anything that does not resist it for significant damage. However, Psyshock is useful to hit specially bulky Pokemon, such as Hariyama and Cryogonal, and is useful in Calm Mind wars. Signal Beam provides very useful coverage against Dark- and Psychic-types such as Malamar, Liepard, Cacturne, Sneasel, Uxie, and Musharna. Signal Beam is also useful in Calm Mind wars, as it hits most Calm Mind users super effectively and is quite powerful after a boost. Alternately, Energy Ball targets bulky Ground- and Water-types such as Rhydon and Seismitoad. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Mega Steelix for solid damage. Healing Wish revives a weakened teammate and is particularly useful to give setup sweepers another chance to sweep. Alternatively, Calm Mind boosts Mesprit's Special Attack and Special Defense to high levels, giving it an easier time breaking through bulky Pokemon. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu, as well as Torterra in the former's case. These moves are better suited alongside Calm Mind than Energy Ball is, due to their better neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Mesprit's Speed and offensive presence. A Modest nature gives a significant boost in power, notably allowing Mesprit to 2HKO Audino with Psyshock 70% of the time after Stealth Rock damage. However, a Timid nature allows Mesprit to outspeed opposing neutral-natured Mesprit, Zangoose, and Kangaskhan. Life Orb provides additional power, but other items, such as Lum Berry to avoid a status condition once or Leftovers for longevity, are solid choices if using Calm Mind.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit is best used as an early-game wallbreaker thanks to its amazing coverage and Special Attack. Correct prediction when utilizing Mesprit's coverage moves is key to wallbreaking when in situtations such as hitting Malamar with Signal Beam or Steelix with Hidden Power Fire on the switch. Try to set up entry hazards as soon as possible, especially if using Calm Mind, to help wear down defensive Pokemon for a sweep. Mesprit should avoid unnecessary damage and status conditions, as it already gets worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock damage and Life Orb recoil. The best use of Healing Wish can often vary from matchup to matchup. Most often, it should be used to heal a setup sweeper mid- or late-game, giving it a second chance to sweep. Alternatively, it can be helpful to heal a Choice Scarf user to clean up versus offensively-based teams or to save a teammate that would otherwise faint from entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hariyama are great teammates for Mesprit because they put immense pressure on Dark-types, which are problematic for Mesprit, especially if it is running Energy Ball over Signal Beam. Setup sweepers such as Virizion, Feraligatr, Mismagius, Sneasel, and Ninetales greatly appreciate Healing Wish support from Mesprit to give them a second chance. Fast special attackers such as Heliolisk and Lilligant pair well with Calm Mind sets, as they appreciate Mesprit's wallbreaking ability.

Stealth Rock
########
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Healing Wish / U-turn
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Signal Beam / Energy Ball
item: Leftovers / Colbur Berry
evs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every team, and Mesprit finds many opportunities to set it up thanks to its solid offensive presence. Healing Wish is another excellent support move that revives teammates, which is particularly helpful for setup sweepers. Alternatively, U-turn can be used to pivot out on a predicted switch and maintain offensive momentum. Psychic is preferred for Mesprit's STAB move for its higher power, but Psyshock hits specially bulky Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Hariyama significantly harder. Signal Beam targets Psychic- and Dark-types, such as Musharna, Exeggutor, opposing Mesprit, Sneasel, Liepard, and Malamar. On the other hand, Energy Ball hits opposing entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon. Ice Beam hits Xatu and Torterra and is very helpful for luring in the former as it is a common switch-in for Mesprit. Future Sight is an alternate STAB move that hits significantly harder than Psychic and Psyshock and is helpful to lure in Dark-types for teammates.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with a Timid nature maximizes Mesprit's offensive presence while allowing it to outspeed neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as opposing Mesprit. Another EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature can be used to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 SpeedPokemon such as Samurott and Ludicolo. You can use maximum Special Attack and Speed investment as well, but the extra bulk is often very helpful. Leftovers provides passive recovery, while a Colbur Berry can be used to soften up a Dark-type attack, particularly Knock Off, as it activates before being removed. Life Orb can be used for more power if a spread of maximum Special Attack and Speed is used.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit's main goal is to get up Stealth Rock whenever it can. Considering Mesprit's typing and coverage, which give it a good matchup versus most entry hazard setters, it can lead fairly well. Try to keep Mesprit alive for a while, as it is pretty resilient and can set up Stealth Rock a few times in the match if necessary. Mesprit's moderately slow U-turn against fast Pokemon is also nice for offensive teams to get a wallbreaker in safely. The usage of Healing Wish can be tricky to figure out depending on the situation. In most cases, it is best to revive a setup sweeper to give it a second chance to sweep, but it can also be helpful to bring back a Choice Scarf user to clean up against an offensive team. Healing Wish is also useful to revive a teammate that would otherwise faint to entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Garbodor and Qwilfish are great partners for Mesprit to form an entry hazard core, as their Spikes and Toxic Spikes synergize with Stealth Rock from Mesprit. In addition, both of these Pokemon resist Bug-type attacks, which is great for Mesprit, and tend to lure in Psychic- and Ground-types for Mesprit to set up on or attack. Zangoose and Swellow are also great teammates, as they appreciate entry hazard support from Mesprit as well as the slow U-turn to get their status Orbs activated. Choice Specs Swellow can lure in and defeat or severely weaken Steel-types such as Steelix with a powerful Heat Wave, which is very helpful for Mesprit. As with most Psychic-types, bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr are solid teammates to handle Dark-types such as Sneasel, Pawniard, and Liepard.

Other Options
########

Mesprit has a plethora of other coverage and utility moves it can use. An offensive Trick Room set can be used, as having a slow U-turn to get into a wallbreaker is very helpful. An offensive Rain Dance set has some merit due to Mesprit's access to Thunder to attack and Healing Wish to support sweepers, but Uxie's greater bulk is generally more useful. A set with Light Screen and Reflect is passable but also generally outclassed by Uxie. Magic Coat bounces back entry hazards and status moves. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes Pawniard and Probopass while still maintaining solid coverage on most other Steel-types. Toxic cripples bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Mantine, but Mesprit is generally better off with a coverage move. A physical Stealth Rock set can be used for a slightly stronger U-turn, but it is outclassed by the special Stealth Rock set due to Mesprit's more useful special attacking movepool.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types are often problematic for Mesprit, as they resist its STAB moves and only fear Hidden Power Fire, which can easily be scouted for. Probopass and the rare Bastiodon are especially hard stops to most Mesprit sets due to their neutrality to Hidden Power Fire, only fearing the occasional Hidden Power Fighting. Pawniard can survive a hit and deal a solid chunk back to Mesprit with Knock Off, but it has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire or Colbur Berry variants.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Opposing physical Mesprit is a great check to Mesprit because it only fears Knock Off and Signal Beam, while it can hit back with a strong Knock Off, or U-turn of its own for solid damage and gain momentum. Uxie, Musharna, and Beheeyem are also good at checking Mesprit, though they need to watch out for Signal Beam and invested U-turn. Xatu can take most hits from Mesprit and cripple it with Thunder Wave, but must be wary of Signal Beam, Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt.

**Scyther**: Scyther is the only relevant Pokemon with Bug-type STAB moves and can deal massive damage to or OHKO Mesprit with either Bug Bite or U-turn, and it has the bulk backed by Eviolite to shrug off most hits bar an Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Malamar, Liepard, and Sneasel are solid checks to Mesprit due to their Psychic immunity and their super effective STAB moves against Mesprit, but they all must be wary of Signal Beam. Liepard and Sneasel are faster and can Pursuit trap Mesprit, and the former can lock Mesprit into an unfavorable move with Encore.

**Hard Hitters**: Despite Mesprit's solid bulk, hard-hitting Pokemon such as Typhlosion, Mismagius, Pyroar, and Zangoose have little trouble revenge killing Mesprit with their strong attacks.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I think I removed all mentions of outdated mons and such, but lmk if I missed something.
Moved SR set to first as I feel it is the best in this meta; would really like to remove the physical sr set as it seems pretty bad and I have no experience with it.
Moved around some slashes and made a bigger mention of signal beam.
QC get at me.

Edit: talked to sg yesterday and removed physical stealth rock set

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe Timid clearly doesn't look efficient unless you have a typo you should go modest on those spreads not running more speed than modest max speed

u mention future sight in team options but not in moves i dont think it should be a separate set so w/e i think you should have a moves mention if you talk about it elsewhere on the set?

is lefties CM not a set because uxie does it better idk if it is just wondering

do people think psyshock is primary slash over psychic on first set because thats what i see more often but idc either way

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe Timid clearly doesn't look efficient unless you have a typo you should go modest on those spreads not running more speed than modest max speed

u mention future sight in team options but not in moves i dont think it should be a separate set so w/e i think you should have a moves mention if you talk about it elsewhere on the set?

is lefties CM not a set because uxie does it better idk if it is just wondering

do people think psyshock is primary slash over psychic on first set because thats what i see more often but idc either way
Did that, thanks.
Dunno about lefties cm, I guess uxie does it better fwiw.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Mention it's somewhat slow for an offensive mon and has 4MSS
SR
  • I also don't particularly care about Psychic vs Psyshock but I always liked the former more because of Gurdurr
  • Future Sight shouldn't be smack in the middle of the Moves section since it's not a slash anymore
  • 204 / 252 / 52 Modest doesn't beat anything in particular. I'd also personally prefer if 120 / 252 / 136 Modest was replaced with 80 / 252 / 176, it beats (Modest) Samurott and Ludicolo, and Flareon + max Speed Sandslash aren't really that relevant anymore
LO
  • I think the points for Psychic / Psyshock / HW / CM should be reworded. Signal Beam is a better tool for CM wars than Psyshock barring maybe Xatu (which is usually dealt with by other factors), so CM variants don't necessarily need it. They're more or less interchangeable either way
  • Mention that Signal Beam specifically hits Malamar which is by far the most notable target, and that HP Fire is also for ensuring Lix can't come in for free
OO
  • Special Scarf / physical SR can go here
  • Add a bulky SR set with Thunder Wave, ik TCW used it to some success
C&C
  • You mention physical Leftovers Sprit in bulky Psychics, which isn't a main set anymore. Replace with just general physical Sprit sets
  • Don't mention Vivillon, it doesn't run Bug Buzz so it's no different than say Lilligant in terms of checking it. Replace Bug Bite on Scyther with U-turn
  • Remove Dazzling Gleam from the Dark-types section
  • Add a section for general hard-hitters that can RK it like Typh and Missy

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Overview
  • Mention it's somewhat slow for an offensive mon and has 4MSS
SR
  • I also don't particularly care about Psychic vs Psyshock but I always liked the former more because of Gurdurr
  • Future Sight shouldn't be smack in the middle of the Moves section since it's not a slash anymore
  • 204 / 252 / 52 Modest doesn't beat anything in particular. I'd also personally prefer if 120 / 252 / 136 Modest was replaced with 80 / 252 / 176, it beats (Modest) Samurott and Ludicolo, and Flareon + max Speed Sandslash aren't really that relevant anymore
LO
  • I think the points for Psychic / Psyshock / HW / CM should be reworded. Signal Beam is a better tool for CM wars than Psyshock barring maybe Xatu (which is usually dealt with by other factors), so CM variants don't necessarily need it. They're more or less interchangeable either way
  • Mention that Signal Beam specifically hits Malamar which is by far the most notable target, and that HP Fire is also for ensuring Lix can't come in for free
OO
  • Special Scarf / physical SR can go here
  • Add a bulky SR set with Thunder Wave, ik TCW used it to some success
C&C
  • You mention physical Leftovers Sprit in bulky Psychics, which isn't a main set anymore. Replace with just general physical Sprit sets
  • Don't mention Vivillon, it doesn't run Bug Buzz so it's no different than say Lilligant in terms of checking it. Replace Bug Bite on Scyther with U-turn
  • Remove Dazzling Gleam from the Dark-types section
  • Add a section for general hard-hitters that can RK it like Typh and Missy
Done n-n

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the first set the moves should be listed in the order they're mentioned, SR > HW > U-turn > Psy > Shock > Signal > EBall > other

In TO for the first set, you mention Fighting-types go well with Future Sight, but idk if that deserves a specific mention anymore. I'll leave it up to you though

The second set doesn't have a point for HW or CM in Moves

Do and I'll stamp

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
For the first set the moves should be listed in the order they're mentioned, SR > HW > U-turn > Psy > Shock > Signal > EBall > other

In TO for the first set, you mention Fighting-types go well with Future Sight, but idk if that deserves a specific mention anymore. I'll leave it up to you though

The second set doesn't have a point for HW or CM in Moves

Do and I'll stamp
done

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Special Stealth Rock should just be named Stealth Rock now.

I think Life Orb should be the first set. Nothing in ORAS really changed that, and if anything, its effectiveness as an offensive Psychic-type went up thanks to the rising popularity of Malamar and Mesprit's ability to beat it.

Don't have any other complaints about the analysis, so I'll QC 1/3. If people disagree with me on the set order change, we can talk about it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Special Stealth Rock should just be named Stealth Rock now.

I think Life Orb should be the first set. Nothing in ORAS really changed that, and if anything, its effectiveness as an offensive Psychic-type went up thanks to the rising popularity of Malamar and Mesprit's ability to beat it.

Don't have any other complaints about the analysis, so I'll QC 1/3. If people disagree with me on the set order change, we can talk about it.
Thanks! Thoughts on slashing Signal Beam first over eball, for that reason? I think its a good idea.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
"It can utilize many roles on a team" --> it can be used for many roles / it has many uses it can fulfill on a team. super weird phrasing the way you had it.

Outside of that obvious quirk in the intro, i mean, there's a lot of common GP errors, typos, and awkward phrasings - but that's not my job to correct :P
the key information is all there, and it's p much up to quality standards.

3/3, i bombed that essay i was working on earlier :pirate:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
"It can utilize many roles on a team" --> it can be used for many roles / it has many uses it can fulfill on a team. super weird phrasing the way you had it.

Outside of that obvious quirk in the intro, i mean, there's a lot of common GP errors, typos, and awkward phrasings - but that's not my job to correct :P
the key information is all there, and it's p much up to quality standards.

3/3, i bombed that essay i was working on earlier :pirate:
Fixed that, thanks.
I'll give this a full proofread tomorrow (technically later today but who's counting) before I move this to GP.

That sucks :[

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Mesprit is the most versatile Pokemon in NU due thanks to its outstanding offensive and support movepool, which is backed by solid all-around stats. It can can be used for many roles on a team, such as a wallbreaker with a Life Orb, Choice Band, or Choice Specs, a revenge killer with a Choice Scarf, and a win condition with Calm Mind. Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances and but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Life Orb
########

Moves
========

Psychic is a strong STAB move that hits anything which that does not resist it for significant damage. However, Psyshock is useful to hit specially bulky Pokemon, (comma) such as Hariyama and Cryogonal, and is useful in Calm Mind wars faceoffs. Signal Beam provides very useful coverage against Dark- and Psychic-types such as Malamar, Liepard, Cacturne, Sneasel, Uxie, and Musharna. This Signal Beam is also useful in Calm Mind wars, faceoffs as it hits most Calm Mind users super effectively, (remove comma) and is quite powerful after a boost. Alternately, Energy Ball targets bulky Water- and Ground- and Water-types such as Rhydon and Seismitoad. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Mega Steelix for solid damage. Healing Wish revives a weakened teammate, (remove comma) and is particularly useful for to give setup sweepers another chance to sweep. Alternatively, Calm Mind boosts Mesprit's Special Attack and Special Defense to high levels, giving it an easier time to break through bulky Pokemon. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt can also be used to hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu, as well as Torterra in the former's case. These moves are better suited alongside Calm Mind, not over Energy Ball, (comma) due to their better neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Mesprit's Speed and offensive presence. A Modest nature gives a significant boost in power, notably allowing Mesprit to 2HKOing Audino with Psyshock 70% of the time after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock. However, a Timid nature allows Mesprit to outspeed outpseeds opposing neutral-natured Mesprit, Zangoose, and Kangaskhan. Life Orb provides additional power, but other items, such as Lum Berry to avoid a status condition once, (remove comma) or Leftovers for longevity, are solid choices if using Calm Mind.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit is best used as an early-game wallbreaker thanks to its amazing coverage and Special Attack. Correct prediction when utilizing Mesprit's coverage movepool is key to wallbreaking, (remove comma) in situations such as hitting Malamar with Signal Beam or Steelix with Hidden Power Fire on the switch. Try to get up entry hazards as soon as possible, especially if using Calm Mind, (comma) to help wear down defensive Pokemon for a sweep. Mesprit should avoid unnecessary damage and status conditions, as it already gets won worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock damage and Life Orb recoil. The best use of Healing Wish can often vary between from matchup to matchup. Most often, it should be used to heal a setup sweeper mid- or late-game, giving it mid to late game, giving them a second chance to sweep. Alternatively, it can be helpful to heal a Choice Scarf user to clean up versus offensively-based teams, (remove comma) or to save a teammate that would otherwise faint from entry hazards damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hariyama are great teammates for Mesprit, as because they put immense pressure on Dark-types, (comma) which are problematic for Mesprit, especially if it is running Energy Ball over Signal Beam. Setup sweepers such as Virizion, Feraligatr, Mismagius, Sneasel, and Ninetales greatly appreciate Healing Wish support from Mesprit to give them a second chance. Fast special attackers such as Heliolisk and Lilligant, (remove comma) pair well with Calm Mind sets, as they appreciate Mesprit's wallbreaking ability.

Stealth Rock
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every team, and Mesprit finds many opportunities to set it up thanks to its solid offensive presence. Healing Wish is another excellent support move that revives teammates, which is particularly helpful for setup sweepers. Alternatively, U-turn can be used to pivot out on a predicted switch and maintain offensive momentum. Psychic is preferred as the for Mesprit's STAB move for its higher power, but Psyshock hits specially bulky Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Hariyama harder. Signal Beam targets Dark- and Psychic- and Dark-types, (list consistency) such as Musharna, Exeggutor, opposing Mesprit, Sneasel, Liepard, and Malamar. Alternatively, Energy Ball hits opposing entry hazard setters, (comma) such as Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon. Ice Beam hits Xatu and Torterra, (remove comma) and is very helpful for luring in the former, (comma) as it is a common switch-in for Mesprit. Future Sight is an alternate STAB move that hits significantly harder than Psychic or Psyshock, and Psyshock and is helpful to lure in Dark-types for teammates.

Set Details
========

The give EV spread with a Timid nature maximizes Mesprit's offensive presence while outspeeding neutral-natured base 80 Pokemon such as opposing Mesprit. Another EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature can be used to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Pokemon such as Samurott and Ludicolo. You can use maximum Special Attack and Speed investment as well, but the extra bulk is often very helpful. Leftovers provides passive recovery, while a Colbur Berry can be used to soften up a Dark-type attack, particularly Knock Off, as it activates before being removed. Life Orb can be used for more power if a spread of maximum Special Attack and Speed is used.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit's main goal is to get up Stealth Rock whenever it can. Considering Mesprit's typing and coverage, which gives it it has a good matchup versus most entry hazard setters, it can lead fairly well. Try to keep Mesprit alive for a while, as Mesprit it is pretty resilient (remove comma) and it can set up Stealth Rock a few times in the match if necessary. The Mesprit's moderately slow U-turn against fast Pokemon is also nice for offensive teams to get a wallbreaker in safely. The usage of Healing Wish can be tricky to (figure out? implement? put something here) depending on the situation. In most cases, it is best to revive a setup sweeper to give them it a second chance, but it can also be helpful to bring back a Choice Scarf user to clean up against an offensive team. Healing Wish is also useful to revive a teammate that would otherwise faint to entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Garbodor and Qwilfish are great partners for Mesprit to form an entry hazard core, as their setting up Spikes and Toxic Spikes synergize with alongside Stealth Rock from Mesprit. In addition, both of these Pokemon resist Bug-type attacks, which is great for Mesprit, and tend to lure in Psychic- and Ground-types for Mesprit to set up on Stealth Rock or attack. Zangoose and Swellow are also great teammates, as they appreciate entry hazard support from Mesprit as well as the slow U-turn to get their status orbs activated. Choice Specs Swellow can lure in Steel-types such as Steelix with a powerful Heat Wave, which is very helpful for Mesprit. As with most Psychic-types, bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr are solid teammates to handle Dark-types such as Sneasel, Pawniard, and Liepard.

Other Options
########

Mesprit has a plethora of other coverage and utility moves it can use. An offensive Trick Room set can be used, as having a slow U-turn to get into a wallbreaker is very helpful. An offensive Rain Dance set has some merit due to Mesprit's access to Thunder to attack and Healing Wish for sweepers, but Uxie's greater bulk is generally more useful. A set with Light Screen and Reflect is passable, (remove comma) but is also generally outclassed by Uxie. Magic Coat bounces back entry hazards and status moves. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes OHKO's Pawniard and Probopass (remove comma) while still maintaining solid coverage on most other Steel-types. Toxic cripples bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Mantine, but Mesprit is generally better off with a coverage move. A physical Stealth Rock set can be used for a slightly stronger U-turn, but it is outclassed by the special Stealth Rock set due to Mesprit's more useful special attacking movepool.

Checks and & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types are often problematic for Mesprit, (comma) as they resist its it's STAB moves and only fear Hidden Power Fire, which can easily be scouted for. Probopass and the rare Bastiodon are especially hard stops to most Mesprit sets due to their neutrality to Hidden Power Fire, only fearing the occasional Hidden Power Fighting. Pawniard can live a hit and deal a solid chunk back to Mesprit with Knock Off, but has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire or Colbur Berry variants.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Opposing physical Mesprit is actually a great check to Mesprit because it only fears Knock Off and Signal Beam, while it can hit back with a strong Knock Off of its own, or U-turn of its own for solid damage and gain momentum. Uxie, Musharna, and Beheeyem are also good at checking Mesprit, though they need to watch out for Signal Beam and invested U-turn. Xatu can take most hits from Mesprit and cripple it with Thunder Wave, but must be wary of a boosted or unboosted Signal Beam, Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt.

**Scyther**: Scyther is the only relevant Pokemon with Bug-type that uses its STAB moves and can deal massive damage to or if not OHKO Mesprit with either Bug Bite or U-turn, and it has the bulk backed by Eviolite to shrug off most hits bar an Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Malamar, Liepard, and Sneasel are solid checks to Mesprit due to their Psychic immunity and their super effective STAB moves against Mesprit, but they all must be wary of Signal Beam. Liepard and Sneasel are faster and can Pursuit trap Mesprit, while and the former can lock Mesprit into an unfavorable move with Encore.

**Hard Hitters**: Despite Mesprit's solid bulk, hard-hitting Pokemon such as Typhlosion, Mismagius, Pyroar, and Zangoose have little trouble revenge killing Mesprit with their strong attacks.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It can can be used for many roles, such as a wallbreaker with Life Orb, Choice Band, or Choice Specs, a revenge killer with a Choice Scarf, and a win condition with Calm Mind.

heheh, jokes aside, here's 2/2
be careful implementing stuff, you missed a couple commas and dashes from the first check I think

Overview
########

Mesprit is the most versatile Pokemon in NU thanks to its outstanding offensive and support movepool, which is backed by solid all-around stats. It can can be used for many roles, such as a wallbreaker with Life Orb, Choice Band, or Choice Specs, a revenge killer with a Choice Scarf, and a win condition with Calm Mind. Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Life Orb
########

Moves
========

Psychic is a strong STAB move that hits anything that does not resist it for significant damage. However, Psyshock is useful to hit specially bulky Pokemon, such as Hariyama and Cryogonal, and is useful in Calm Mind wars. Signal Beam provides very useful coverage against Dark- and Psychic-types such as Malamar, Liepard, Cacturne, Sneasel, Uxie, and Musharna. Signal Beam is also useful in Calm Mind wars, (comma) as it hits most Calm Mind users super effectively and is quite powerful after a boost. Alternately, Energy Ball targets bulky Ground- (dash) and Water-types such as Rhydon and Seismitoad. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Mega Steelix for solid damage. Healing Wish revives a weakened teammate and is particularly useful to give setup sweepers another chance to sweep. Alternatively, Calm Mind boosts Mesprit's Special Attack and Special Defense to high levels, giving it an easier time breaking to break through bulky Pokemon. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu, as well as Torterra in the former's case. These moves are better suited alongside Calm Mind, instead of than Energy Ball is, due to their better neutral coverage (if you mean that you should use CM + Boltbeam instead of CM + Energy Ball, keep my change. if you meant that you should use CM + Boltbeam instead of Energy Ball + Boltbeam, leave as is).

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Mesprit's Speed and offensive presence. A Modest nature gives a significant boost in power, notably allowing Mesprit to 2HKO Audino with Psyshock 70% of the time after Stealth Rock damage. However, a Timid nature allows Mesprit to outspeed opposing neutral-natured Mesprit, Zangoose, and Kangaskhan. Life Orb provides additional power, but other items, such as Lum Berry to avoid a status condition once or Leftovers for longevity, are solid choices if using Calm Mind.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit is best used as an early-game wallbreaker thanks to its amazing coverage and Special Attack. Correct prediction when utilizing Mesprit's coverage movepool moves is key to wallbreaking when in situtations such as hitting Malamar with Signal Beam or Steelix with Hidden Power Fire on the switch. Try to get set up entry hazards as soon as possible, especially if using Calm Mind, to help wear down defensive Pokemon for a sweep. Mesprit should avoid unnecessary damage and status conditions, as it already gets worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock damage and Life Orb recoil. The best use of Healing Wish can often vary from matchup to matchup. Most often, it should be used to heal a setup sweeper mid- or late-game, giving it a second chance to sweep. Alternatively, it can be helpful to heal a Choice Scarf user to clean up versus offensively-based teams or to save a teammate that would otherwise faint from entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hariyama are great teammates for Mesprit because they put immense pressure on Dark-types, which are problematic for Mesprit, especially if it is running Energy Ball over Signal Beam. Setup sweepers such as Virizion, Feraligatr, Mismagius, Sneasel, and Ninetales greatly appreciate Healing Wish support from Mesprit to give them a second chance at sweeping. Fast special attackers such as Heliolisk and Lilligant pair well with Calm Mind sets, as they appreciate Mesprit's wallbreaking ability.

Stealth Rock
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every team, and Mesprit finds many opportunities to set it up thanks to its solid offensive presence. Healing Wish is another excellent support move that revives teammates, which is particularly helpful for setup sweepers. Alternatively, U-turn can be used to pivot out on a predicted switch and maintain offensive momentum. Psychic is preferred for Mesprit's STAB move for its higher power, but Psyshock hits specially bulky Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Hariyama significantly harder. Signal Beam targets Psychic- (dash) and Dark-types, such as Musharna, Exeggutor, opposing Mesprit, Sneasel, Liepard, and Malamar. Alternatively On the other hand, (idk, subjective but you used "alternatively" a few sentences ago) Energy Ball hits opposing entry hazard setters, (remove comma) such as Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon. Ice Beam hits Xatu and Torterra and is very helpful for luring in the former, (comma) as it is a common switch-in for Mesprit. Future Sight is an alternate STAB move that hits significantly harder than Psychic and Psyshock and is helpful to lure in Dark-types for teammates.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with a Timid nature maximizes Mesprit's offensive presence while allowing it to outspeed outspeeding neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as opposing Mesprit. Another EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature can be used to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Samurott and Ludicolo. You can use maximum Special Attack and Speed investment as well, but the extra bulk is often very helpful. Leftovers provides passive recovery, while a Colbur Berry can be used to soften up a Dark-type attack, particularly Knock Off, as it activates before being removed. Life Orb can be used for more power if a spread of maximum Special Attack and Speed is used.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit's main goal is to get up Stealth Rock whenever it can. Considering Mesprit's typing and coverage, which give it a good matchup versus most entry hazard setters, it can lead fairly well. Try to keep Mesprit alive for a while, as it is pretty resilient, (remove comma) and can set up Stealth Rock a few times in the match if necessary. Mesprit's moderately slow U-turn against fast Pokemon is also nice for offensive teams to get a wallbreaker in safely. The usage of Healing Wish can be tricky to figure out depending on the situation. In most cases, it is best to revive a setup sweeper to give it a second chance to sweep, but it can also be helpful to bring back a Choice Scarf user to clean up against an offensive team. Healing Wish is also useful to revive a teammate that would otherwise faint to entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Garbodor and Qwilfish are great partners for Mesprit to form an entry hazard core, as their Spikes and Toxic Spikes synergize with Stealth Rock from Mesprit. In addition, both of these Pokemon resist Bug-type attacks, which is great for Mesprit, and tend to lure in Psychic- and Ground-types for Mesprit to set up on or attack. Zangoose and Swellow are also great teammates, as they appreciate entry hazard support from Mesprit as well as the slow U-turn to get their status Orbs activated. Choice Specs Swellow can lure in and defeat Steel-types such as Steelix with a powerful Heat Wave, which is very helpful for Mesprit. As with most Psychic-types, bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr are solid teammates to handle Dark-types such as Sneasel, Pawniard, and Liepard.

Other Options
########

Mesprit has a plethora of other coverage and utility moves it can use. An offensive Trick Room set can be used, as having a slow U-turn to get into a wallbreaker is very helpful. An offensive Rain Dance set has some merit due to Mesprit's access to Thunder to attack and Healing Wish for to support sweepers, but Uxie's greater bulk is generally more useful. A set with Light Screen and Reflect is passable but also generally outclassed by Uxie. Magic Coat bounces back entry hazards and status moves. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes Pawniard and Probopass while still maintaining solid coverage on most other Steel-types. Toxic cripples bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Mantine, but Mesprit is generally better off with a coverage move. A physical Stealth Rock set can be used for a slightly stronger U-turn, but it is outclassed by the special Stealth Rock set due to Mesprit's more useful special attacking movepool.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types are often problematic for Mesprit, as they resist its STAB moves and only fear Hidden Power Fire, which can easily be scouted for. Probopass and the rare Bastiodon are especially hard stops to most Mesprit sets due to their neutrality to Hidden Power Fire, only fearing the occasional Hidden Power Fighting. Pawniard can live survive a hit and deal a solid chunk back to Mesprit with Knock Off, but it has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire or Colbur Berry variants.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Opposing physical Mesprit is a great check to Mesprit because it only fears Knock Off and Signal Beam, while it can hit back with a strong Knock Off, (remove comma) or U-turn of its own for solid damage and gain momentum. Uxie, Musharna, and Beheeyem are also good at checking Mesprit, though they need to watch out for Signal Beam and invested U-turn. Xatu can take most hits from Mesprit and cripple it with Thunder Wave, but it must be wary of Signal Beam, Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt.

**Scyther**: Scyther is the only relevant Pokemon with Bug-type STAB moves and can deal massive damage to or OHKO Mesprit with either Bug Bite or U-turn, and it has the bulk backed by Eviolite to shrug off most hits bar an Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Malamar, Liepard, and Sneasel are solid checks to Mesprit due to their Psychic immunity and their super effective STAB moves against Mesprit, but they all must be wary of Signal Beam. Liepard and Sneasel are faster and can Pursuit trap Mesprit, and the former can lock Mesprit into an unfavorable move with Encore.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man

heheh, jokes aside, here's 2/2
be careful implementing stuff, you missed a couple commas and dashes from the first check I think

Overview
########

Mesprit is the most versatile Pokemon in NU thanks to its outstanding offensive and support movepool, which is backed by solid all-around stats. It can can be used for many roles, such as a wallbreaker with Life Orb, Choice Band, or Choice Specs, a revenge killer with a Choice Scarf, and a win condition with Calm Mind. Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Mesprit also provides invaluable team support with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish to bring back a weakened teammate. Unfortunately, Mesprit's pure Psychic typing provides few resistances but weaknesses to common attacking types such as Dark, Bug, and Ghost. Mesprit is also fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, which is problematic in a tier crowded with fast attackers. Despite Mesprit's wide coverage movepool, it struggles immensely with fitting the best four moves into its moveset.

Life Orb
########

Moves
========

Psychic is a strong STAB move that hits anything that does not resist it for significant damage. However, Psyshock is useful to hit specially bulky Pokemon, such as Hariyama and Cryogonal, and is useful in Calm Mind wars. Signal Beam provides very useful coverage against Dark- and Psychic-types such as Malamar, Liepard, Cacturne, Sneasel, Uxie, and Musharna. Signal Beam is also useful in Calm Mind wars, (comma) as it hits most Calm Mind users super effectively and is quite powerful after a boost. Alternately, Energy Ball targets bulky Ground- (dash) and Water-types such as Rhydon and Seismitoad. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Mega Steelix for solid damage. Healing Wish revives a weakened teammate and is particularly useful to give setup sweepers another chance to sweep. Alternatively, Calm Mind boosts Mesprit's Special Attack and Special Defense to high levels, giving it an easier time breaking to break through bulky Pokemon. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu, as well as Torterra in the former's case. These moves are better suited alongside Calm Mind, instead of than Energy Ball is, due to their better neutral coverage (if you mean that you should use CM + Boltbeam instead of CM + Energy Ball, keep my change. if you meant that you should use CM + Boltbeam instead of Energy Ball + Boltbeam, leave as is).

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit is best used as an early-game wallbreaker thanks to its amazing coverage and Special Attack. Correct prediction when utilizing Mesprit's coverage movepool moves is key to wallbreaking when in situtations such as hitting Malamar with Signal Beam or Steelix with Hidden Power Fire on the switch. Try to get set up entry hazards as soon as possible, especially if using Calm Mind, to help wear down defensive Pokemon for a sweep. Mesprit should avoid unnecessary damage and status conditions, as it already gets worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock damage and Life Orb recoil. The best use of Healing Wish can often vary from matchup to matchup. Most often, it should be used to heal a setup sweeper mid- or late-game, giving it a second chance to sweep. Alternatively, it can be helpful to heal a Choice Scarf user to clean up versus offensively-based teams or to save a teammate that would otherwise faint from entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hariyama are great teammates for Mesprit because they put immense pressure on Dark-types, which are problematic for Mesprit, especially if it is running Energy Ball over Signal Beam. Setup sweepers such as Virizion, Feraligatr, Mismagius, Sneasel, and Ninetales greatly appreciate Healing Wish support from Mesprit to give them a second chance at sweeping. Fast special attackers such as Heliolisk and Lilligant pair well with Calm Mind sets, as they appreciate Mesprit's wallbreaking ability.

Stealth Rock
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every team, and Mesprit finds many opportunities to set it up thanks to its solid offensive presence. Healing Wish is another excellent support move that revives teammates, which is particularly helpful for setup sweepers. Alternatively, U-turn can be used to pivot out on a predicted switch and maintain offensive momentum. Psychic is preferred for Mesprit's STAB move for its higher power, but Psyshock hits specially bulky Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Hariyama significantly harder. Signal Beam targets Psychic- (dash) and Dark-types, such as Musharna, Exeggutor, opposing Mesprit, Sneasel, Liepard, and Malamar. Alternatively On the other hand, (idk, subjective but you used "alternatively" a few sentences ago) Energy Ball hits opposing entry hazard setters, (remove comma) such as Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon. Ice Beam hits Xatu and Torterra and is very helpful for luring in the former, (comma) as it is a common switch-in for Mesprit. Future Sight is an alternate STAB move that hits significantly harder than Psychic and Psyshock and is helpful to lure in Dark-types for teammates.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with a Timid nature maximizes Mesprit's offensive presence while allowing it to outspeed outspeeding neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as opposing Mesprit. Another EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature can be used to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Samurott and Ludicolo. You can use maximum Special Attack and Speed investment as well, but the extra bulk is often very helpful. Leftovers provides passive recovery, while a Colbur Berry can be used to soften up a Dark-type attack, particularly Knock Off, as it activates before being removed. Life Orb can be used for more power if a spread of maximum Special Attack and Speed is used.

Usage Tips
========

Mesprit's main goal is to get up Stealth Rock whenever it can. Considering Mesprit's typing and coverage, which give it a good matchup versus most entry hazard setters, it can lead fairly well. Try to keep Mesprit alive for a while, as it is pretty resilient, (remove comma) and can set up Stealth Rock a few times in the match if necessary. Mesprit's moderately slow U-turn against fast Pokemon is also nice for offensive teams to get a wallbreaker in safely. The usage of Healing Wish can be tricky to figure out depending on the situation. In most cases, it is best to revive a setup sweeper to give it a second chance to sweep, but it can also be helpful to bring back a Choice Scarf user to clean up against an offensive team. Healing Wish is also useful to revive a teammate that would otherwise faint to entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Garbodor and Qwilfish are great partners for Mesprit to form an entry hazard core, as their Spikes and Toxic Spikes synergize with Stealth Rock from Mesprit. In addition, both of these Pokemon resist Bug-type attacks, which is great for Mesprit, and tend to lure in Psychic- and Ground-types for Mesprit to set up on or attack. Zangoose and Swellow are also great teammates, as they appreciate entry hazard support from Mesprit as well as the slow U-turn to get their status Orbs activated. Choice Specs Swellow can lure in and defeat Steel-types such as Steelix with a powerful Heat Wave, which is very helpful for Mesprit. As with most Psychic-types, bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr are solid teammates to handle Dark-types such as Sneasel, Pawniard, and Liepard.

Other Options
########

Mesprit has a plethora of other coverage and utility moves it can use. An offensive Trick Room set can be used, as having a slow U-turn to get into a wallbreaker is very helpful. An offensive Rain Dance set has some merit due to Mesprit's access to Thunder to attack and Healing Wish for to support sweepers, but Uxie's greater bulk is generally more useful. A set with Light Screen and Reflect is passable but also generally outclassed by Uxie. Magic Coat bounces back entry hazards and status moves. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes Pawniard and Probopass while still maintaining solid coverage on most other Steel-types. Toxic cripples bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Mantine, but Mesprit is generally better off with a coverage move. A physical Stealth Rock set can be used for a slightly stronger U-turn, but it is outclassed by the special Stealth Rock set due to Mesprit's more useful special attacking movepool.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types are often problematic for Mesprit, as they resist its STAB moves and only fear Hidden Power Fire, which can easily be scouted for. Probopass and the rare Bastiodon are especially hard stops to most Mesprit sets due to their neutrality to Hidden Power Fire, only fearing the occasional Hidden Power Fighting. Pawniard can live survive a hit and deal a solid chunk back to Mesprit with Knock Off, but it has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire or Colbur Berry variants.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Opposing physical Mesprit is a great check to Mesprit because it only fears Knock Off and Signal Beam, while it can hit back with a strong Knock Off, (remove comma) or U-turn of its own for solid damage and gain momentum. Uxie, Musharna, and Beheeyem are also good at checking Mesprit, though they need to watch out for Signal Beam and invested U-turn. Xatu can take most hits from Mesprit and cripple it with Thunder Wave, but it must be wary of Signal Beam, Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt.

Implemented, thanks - this is done :D
Sorry about missing those changes, its a lot easier to miss stuff like that when its just black and white in the edits as opposed to colored changes :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)