OU Zapdos

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I missed that. I was in a hurry to get to my next exam. I'm fixing it now >_>
No worries. Also I cant really agree with the statement that excadrill beats latios, as it takes ~60% from a LO Draco and HP Fire is fairly standard. Maybe mention a bulkier steel type like jirachi or bronzong bc zapdos is generally better on defensive teams for the most part.

Last edited:
i'd put rocky helmet in oo as a usable item for phydef zapdos, while specs, scarf, and air cutter should probably be removed altogether
Scarf is a nice surprise to an opponent who expects a bulky set. I removed Specs and Air Cutter and put in Rocky Helmet, but I'm going to argue for keeping the Scarf set. I will mention that it's only nice is the surprise factor and the fact that Greninja no longer beats it.
If anyone else disagrees with me then I guess I'll remove it, but it's a nice little niche.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm also interested as to why you think Zapdos is outclassed by Thundurus. Sure, they share the same type and check similar Pokemon, but Zapdos is a defensive Pokemon and more importantly, a Defogger, while Thundurus is a hard hitter. Thunduy also checks setup sweepers with prankster twave, while Zapdos is susceptible to some setup sweepers. I feel like they performs different roles, its not like comparing Gyaraodos and Mega Charizard X as Dragon Dancers, or something like that.

I'm also interested as to why you think Zapdos is outclassed by Thundurus. Sure, they share the same type and check similar Pokemon, but Zapdos is a defensive Pokemon and more importantly, a Defogger, while Thundurus is a hard hitter. Thunduy also checks setup sweepers with prankster twave, while Zapdos is susceptible to some setup sweepers. I feel like they performs different roles, its not like comparing Gyaraodos and Mega Charizard X as Dragon Dancers, or something like that.
Zapdos is outclassed offensively by Thundurus. If Zapdos tries to go offensive, that is.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Zapdos is outclassed offensively by Thundurus. If Zapdos tries to go offensive, that is.
If that's your reasoning, then be a bit more specific, as that was kinda unclear to me. I mean, offensive Zapdos is bad whether or not its outclassed by Thundurus :P

So sorry that this took me so long, I had a bunch of other things to work on and I got really busy for the holidays since I can drive now and everyone wanted me to buy crap for them eww
Ready for the third check now.

this analysis seems pretty lackluster and is downplaying a lot of what zapdos is really capable of. you should say that one of zapdos' main selling points is its ability to pressure most offensive teams, whether by roost stalling(ex.thund, latis, lando) or through its coverage moves and decent power. rain teams don't exactly have a solid switch-in to this other then megapert. zapdos is also a good answer to set up sweepers such as drum azu, sub megasceptile, sd megazor, and cm megabro. mention roar and discharge in oo. roar being able to rack up hazard damage, get rid of a set up sweeper, and scouting what they want to switch to handle it. discharge, albeit a slightly inferior option over tbolt, also has a higher chance to para which is definitely nice. expand more about what volt switch does. it allows zapdos to take a hit that a team mate of its might not want to, and pairing it with a volturn core can make up for lost offensive presence by forgoing tbolt. just make sure you get my first point across the analysis, which is zapdos being able to pressure offensive teams with above average bulk, typing, and offensive presence. once you do these consider it 3/3

I believe I have implemented everything, and I made the over view a little prettier. Feel free to correct me, but for now this is going into copy editing.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########

Zapdos is a fantastic check to several dangerous sweepers that reside in OU. It has a fantastic defensive typing, being weak to only two things while having great resistances and an immunity. It also has reliable recovery in Roost, making it, arguably, a better Defogger than the likes of Empoleon. Zapdos' Zapdos's main niche is the ability to put pressure on offensive teams with it's its strong good bulk, typing, offensive presence, (AC: serial comma) and the ability to Roost stall things strong foes (not 100% sure what you mean so if you can be more specific than this, go ahead - 'things' is way too vague + colloquial though) like Latios and Thundurus. It deals with Choice-locked Talonflame and Staraptor, as well as Mega Pinsir and Mega Pidgeot. It also beats Bisharp one-on-one, (add hyphens) which no other Defogger other than Mandibuzz can do without having to run a Hidden Power. (my metagame knowledge is kinda meh so I could be wrong here, but afaik Mandibuzz can't viably run HP Fighting or Fire or w/e - in that case, there's also no point in mentioning it and it would be better to remove the Mandibuzz bit) However, Zapdos does have a nasty weakness to Stealth Rocks Rock, which limits its switch-in (add hyphen) opportunities, (RC; assuming you mean the SR weakness is generally bad for a Defogger. Keep the comma if you meant to say that Zapdos sucks as a Defogger) and is generally bad for a Defogger. It also is completely outclassed offensively by both Thundurus forms formes. It doesn't even have a good Flying STAB move outside or Air Cutter, which has low base power anyways, (if it sucks, like Air Cutter does, it isn't a 'good' Flying STAB move) which means the its secondary typing it has is useless offensively. However, once you look past its flaws, Zapdos is a great defensive Defogger that fits well on a lot of teams. (contentless, generic closures should be avoided)

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Heat Wave / Toxic
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 SpE Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos' most reliable STAB move that and does a lot of damage, even when mainly uninvested.. Volt Switch allows Zapdos to be able to (redundant with 'allows') take a hit a team mate teammate would not want to and proceed to bring it in, and when paired with another Pokémon Pokemon (C&C standards don't use the acute here) with Volt Switch or U-turn, it allows you Zapdos to keep momentum. Roost is for regaining HP and migrating the mitigating Zapdos's Stealth Rock weakness. Defog is for removing Stealth Rocks Rock, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to beat common switch-ins like such as Landorus and Garchomp. Heat Wave is for stopping Ferrothorn and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp, while Toxic can be used to wear down other walls and common switch-ins. (add period) as well

Set Details
========

The EVs on the set are to give Zapdos as much physical bulk as possible, while still having a bit of offensive presence. Leftovers are the only item you would really want to use on defensive Zapdos, since as it improves its longevity on the field. The Special Attack EVs are to guarantee the knock-out (add hyphen) on Mega Pinsir, even with out without Stealth rocks Rock on the field. 16 Speed EVs are implemented allow Zapdos to outspeed Bisharp and attempt to KO it with Heat Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid switching into Stealth Rocks Rock too much, as every time you switch Zapdos switches in without Defogging using Defog, (don't use a move name as a verb if you can avoid it) you loose it loses 25% or your of its HP. Avoid status ailments (to correspond with subsequent 'them') like Toxic, as Zapdos has no real reliably reliable way of removing them, (RC) and they wear down Zapdos extremely quick. (eh, tbqh this section comes off a bit skimpy to me... what Pokemon do I need Zapdos to check/counter, are there any specific threats it should switch in on? in the overview you mention it's a fantastic check to several dangerous sweepers, and here is where I would expect some of those sweepers to be mentioned, as well as some elaboration on how to use it as a birdspam check)

Team Options
========

Powerful Fighting-type (add hyphen) Pokemon that can scare off Chansey and Tyranitar, (putting examples in the middle of a category description is undesirable) like such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade, (AC) and Terrakion, (AC) who can scare off Chansey and Tyranitar work fantastically as team mates teammates, since as (causal since is unexpectedly tricky to use properly so it's best to just stick with as or because) those two Pokemon are known to switch into Zapdos. Healing Wish or Aromatherapy support (also some examples here please) is also helpful to get rid of status like Toxic. Bulky Steel-types (add hyphen) like such as Excadrill, Bronzong, (AC) and Jirachi have great synergy with Zapdos, (RC) and deal with Latios that lack Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 3: Defog / Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
evs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is once again (no cross-set referencing) a powerful STAB move that hits decently hard. Volt Switch is a momentum gainer, but if you don't Zapdos doesn't use Defog before switching out, you take it takes another 25% damage when you switch switching back in. Roost heals the damage you take if you decide to switch in to Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power Ice is for both forms formes of Landorus and things foes like Dragonite. Defog is obviously to remove Stealth Rocks Rock, although Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn and Bisharp more harder than Thunderbolt would.

Set Details
========

The EVs given maximize Zapdos' Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to counter Landorus-I Landorus, as well as allowing it to live a +2 Return from a Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rocks Rock. 16 Speed EVs are once again to outpace Bisharp. Leftovers are still the best item to have, since as the slow regain of HP helps increase longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Stealth Rocks are Rock is still (if by this you once again mean 'as with the physically defensive set'; otherwise it's fine) a huge issue for Zapdos, so make sure to use Defog before switching out. Zapdos, while bulky, still does not take super effective hits such as Greninja's Ice Beam too well, like Greninja's Ice Beam, so be wary against of staying in against Pokémon Pokemon like that. Don't use Zapdos for to take on Pokémon Pokemon such as Scizor who that will most likely just U-turn out, since this usually wears Zapdos down more than it should, as you need a free turn to use Roost. (self-explanatory)

Team Options
========

Pokemon like Mega Heracross certainly appreciate Zapdos' Zapdos's removal of common Flying-type (add hyphen) Pokémon Pokemon. Having a cleric Pokémon Pokemon like such as Latias is fantastic for removing burns or Toxic. Good physical walls like such as Landorus-T that handle powerful set up setup sweepers like such as Mega Gallade lacking Ice Punch (purely for readability you might wanna replace this with a setup sweeper that Lando counters period) support Zapdos, since as Zapdos cannot beat most of them.

Other Options
########

U-turn is an option over Volt Switch if you don't want Zapdos to be stopped by Ground-type (add hyphen) Pokémon Pokemon before you switching out. Choice Scarf Zapdos, while outclassed by Thundurus, provides a nice surprise to opponents who expect a bulky set. Rocky Helmet is an option over Leftovers, especially on the specially defensive set, since as it allows you Zapdos to deal much better with physical attackers. Roar is good against set up setup sweepers and helps stack up entry hazard damage. Discharge is mostly an inferior Thunderbolt, although the added chance of paralysis is helpful.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rocks Rock**: Keeping Stealth Rocks Rock on the field is a great way to wear down Zapdos and cost it turns since because it has to use Defog to clear them.

**Set Up Setup Sweepers**: Zapdos can't do a whole lot much (less colloquial) to set-up setup sweepers like such as SD Swords Dance Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus, (RC) if it's lacking HP Hidden Power Ice, and Mega Charizard X can cleanly set up with no issues.

**Powerful STAB Attacks**: Even though Zapdos is bulky, strong attacks like Dragalge's Draco Meteor and Talonflame's Flare Blitz still (redundant with the 'even though' clause, a coordinator like this is redundant in written text. Similar to coordinating with 'if...then', in written text you should leave out the 'then') do a lot of damage.

**Special Walls**: Walls like Chansey, Tyranitar, (AC) and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as even with Toxic, they can beat Zapdos with enough time. (please clarify what you mean by this; to me it reads as though you mean 'by stalling it out' but that can't be right)

GP 1/2, make sure to pay attention to some repeated minor errors ^^

Last edited:
I didn't realize I was so blind, haha
My computer has an auto-correct feature, so that's why it corrected Pokémon and Spe and the occasion its, the rest is on me.
Thank you so much, Dutch, this is ready for the second check.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
get rid of the ninja mention, also please expand your team options. you mention healing wish support which is really bad on the type of teams zapdos is usually on, but you don't mention a LOT of the significant defensive partners and mons that are needed for/enhance zapdos on a team.

A minor thing, but since Thunderbolt is slashed with Volt Switch now, I'd make sure to mention that the SpA EVs are specifically designed to OHKO Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt only. Then mention that if Volt Switch is chosen, those extra EVs can be plopped into Def (unless they also allow for a specific KO with Volt Switch or Heat Wave now).

**Special Walls**: Walls like Chansey, Tyranitar and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as without Toxic, Zapdos cannot retaliate with any move.
Might want to mention that Chansey doesn't really care about Toxic because of Natural Cure.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Add
Remove
(Comment)

Overview

########

Zapdos is a fantastic check to several dangerous sweepers that reside in OU. It has a great defensive typing, being weak to only two things types while having great resistances and an immunity. It also has reliable recovery in Roost, making it, arguably, a an arguably better Defogger than the likes of Empoleon. Zapdos's main niche is the ability to put pressure on offensive teams with its strong bulk, typing, offensive presence and ability to Roost stall strong foes like Latios and Thundurus. It deals with Choice-locked Talonflame and Staraptor, as well as Mega Pinsir and Mega Pidgeot. It also beats Bisharp one-on-one, which no other Defogger,(AC) other than Mandibuzz,(AC) can do without having to run a Hidden Power. However, Zapdos does have a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, which limits its switch-in opportunities, and is generally bad for a Defogger. It also is completely outclassed offensively by both Thundurus formes too. It doesn't even have a good Flying STAB, which means its secondary typing it has is useless offensively.

Physically Defensive
########
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos' most reliable STAB move and does a lot of damage, even when mainly uninvested. Volt Switch allows Zapdos to be able to take a hit a teammate would not want to, and when paired with another Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn, it allows Zapdos to keep momentum. Roost is for regaining HP and mitigating Zapdos's Stealth Rock weakness. Defog is for removing Stealth Rock, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to beat common switch-ins such as Landorus and Garchomp. Heat Wave is for stopping Ferrothorn and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp, while Toxic can be used to wear down other walls and common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

The EVs give Zapdos as much physical bulk as possible, while still having a bit of offensive presence. Leftovers are the only item you would really want to use on defensive Zapdos, since it improves its longevity on the field. The Special Attack EVs are to guarantee the knock-out on Mega Pinsir, even without Stealth Rocks on the field. 16 Speed EVs allow Zapdos to outspeed Bisharp and attempt to KO with its Heat Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid switching into Stealth Rock too much, as every time Zapdos switchs in without using Defog, it loses 25% of its HP. Avoid status ailments like Toxic, as Zapdos has no real reliable way of removing them, and they wear down Zapdos extremely quick.

Team Options
========

Powerful Fighting-type Pokemon that can scare off Chansey and Tyranitar such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade and Terrakion work fantastically as team mates teammates, as those two Pokemon are known to switch into Zapdos. Healing Wish or Aromatherapy support from Pokémon like Sylveon and Chansey are also helpful to get rid of status like Toxic. Bulky Steel types such as Excadrill, Bronzong and Jirachi have great synergy with Zapdos, and deal with Latios that lack Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB move that hits decently hard. Volt Switch is a momentum gainer, but if Zapdos doesn't use Defog before switching, it takes another 25% damage when it switchs switches back in. Roost heals the damage you take if you decide to switch in to on Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power Ice is for both formes of Landorus and foes like Dragonite. Defog is obviously to remove Stealth Rock, although Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn and Bisharp harder than Thunderbolt would.

Set Details
========

The EVs given maximize Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to counter Landorus, as well as allowing it to live a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage. 16 Speed EVs are to outpace Bisharp. Leftovers are the best item to have, as the slow regain regeneration of HP helps increase longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Stealth Rock is a huge issue for Zapdos, so make sure to use Defog before switching out. Zapdos, while bulky, still does not take super effective hits too well, so be wary of staying in against Pokemon like that. Don't use Zapdos to take on Pokémon such as Scizor that will most likely just U-turn out, since this usually wears Zapdos down more than it should.

Team Options
========

Pokemon like Mega Heracross certainly appreciate Zapdos's removal of common Flying-type Pokémon(remove accented e) Pokemon. Having a cleric Pokemon such as Latias is fantastic for removing burns or Toxic. Good physical walls such as like Landorus-T that handle powerful setup sweepers,(AC) such as Swords Dance Excadrill or Garchomp,(AC) support Zapdos, as Zapdos cannot beat most of them. Physical walls like such as Hippowdon can handle set up sweepers like Garchomp and Mega Charizard X.

Other Options
########

U-turn is an option over Volt Switch if you don't want to be stopped by Ground-type Pokemon before switching out. Choice Scarf Zapdos, while outclassed by Thundurus, provides a nice surprise to opponents who expect a bulky set. Rocky Helmet is an option over Leftovers, especially on the specially defensive set, as it allows Zapdos to deal much better with physical attackers. Roar is good against setup sweepers and helps stack up entry hazard damage. Discharge is mostly an inferior Thunderbolt, although the added chance of paralysis is helpful.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Keeping Stealth Rock on the field is a great way to wear down Zapdos and cost it turns because it has to use Defog to clear them.

**Setup Sweepers**: Zapdos can't do a whole lot to set-up sweepers like Swords Dance Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus,(RC) if it's lacking Hidden Power Ice, and Mega Charizard X can cleanly set up with no issues.

**Powerful STAB Attacks**: Even though Zapdos is bulky, strong attacks like Dragalge's Draco Meteor and Talonflame's Flare Blitz do a lot of damage.

**Special Walls**: Walls like Chansey, Tyranitar and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as without Toxic, Zapdos cannot retaliate with any move.

'such as' and 'like' were used a lot within the same sentences (ex. Physical walls like Hippowdon can handle set up sweepers like Garchomp and Mega Charizard X)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Recreant
my additional
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview

########

Zapdos is a fantastic check to several dangerous sweepers that reside in OU. It has a great defensive typing, being weak to only two things types while having great resistances and an immunity. It also has reliable recovery in Roost, making it, arguably, a an arguably better Defogger than the likes of Empoleon. Zapdos's main niche is the ability to put pressure on offensive teams with its strong bulk, typing, offensive presence and ability to Roost stall strong foes like such as Latios and Thundurus. It deals with Choice-locked Talonflame and Staraptor, as well as Mega Pinsir and Mega Pidgeot. It also beats Bisharp one-on-one, which no other Defogger,(AC) other than Mandibuzz,(AC) this isn't necessary, but do remove the first 'other' can do without having to run a Hidden Power. However, Zapdos does have a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, which limits its opportunities to switch-in opportunities, and which is generally bad for a Defogger. It also is completely outclassed offensively by both Thundurus formes too. not necessary It doesn't even have a good Flying STAB move, which means its secondary typing it has is useless offensively.

Physically Defensive
########
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos's most reliable STAB move and does a lot of damage, even when mainly uninvested. Volt Switch allows Zapdos to be able to take a hit for a teammate would not want to, and when paired with another Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn, it allows Zapdos to keep momentum. Roost is for regaining HP and mitigating Zapdos's Stealth Rock weakness. Defog is for removing Stealth Rock, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to beat common switch-ins such as Landorus and Garchomp. Heat Wave is for stopping Ferrothorn and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp, while Toxic can be used to wear down other walls and common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

The EVs give Zapdos as much physical bulk as possible, while still having a bit of offensive presence. Leftovers are the only item you would really want to use on defensive Zapdos, since as it improves its longevity on the field. The Special Attack EVs are to guarantee the knock-out KO on Mega Pinsir, even without Stealth Rocks on the field. 16 Speed EVs allow Zapdos to outspeed Bisharp and attempt to KO with its Heat Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid switching into Stealth Rock too much, as every time Zapdos switches in without using Defog, it loses 25% of its HP. Avoid status ailments like such as Toxic, as Zapdos has no real reliable way of removing them, (RC) and they wear down Zapdos extremely quick.

Team Options
========

Powerful Fighting-type Pokemon that can scare off Chansey and Tyranitar such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade, (AC) and Terrakion work fantastically as team mates teammates, as those two Pokemon are known to switch into Zapdos. Healing Wish or Aromatherapy support from Pokémon like such as Sylveon and Chansey are also helpful to get rid of status like such as Toxic. Bulky Steel-types such as Excadrill, Bronzong, (AC) and Jirachi have great synergy with Zapdos, and deal with Latios that lack Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB move that hits decently hard. Volt Switch is a momentum-gainer, but if Zapdos doesn't use Defog before switching, it takes another 25% damage when it switchs switches back in. Roost heals the damage you take if you decide to switch in to on not necessary Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power Ice is for both formes of Landorus and foes like Dragonite. Defog is obviously to remove Stealth Rock, although Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn and Bisharp harder than Thunderbolt would.

Set Details
========

The EVs given if you like, you can put 'given' before EVs maximize Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to counter Landorus, (RC) as well as allowing it to live a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage. 16 Speed EVs are to outpace Bisharp. Leftovers are the best item to have, as the slow regain regeneration of HP helps increase longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Stealth Rock is a huge issue for Zapdos, so make sure to use Defog before switching out. Zapdos, while bulky, still does not take super effective hits too well, so be wary of staying in against Pokemon such as you should be giving specific examples like that. Don't use Zapdos to take on Pokémon such as Scizor that will most likely just U-turn out, since because this usually just wears Zapdos down more than it should.

Team Options
========

Pokemon like such as Mega Heracross certainly appreciate Zapdos's removal of common Flying-type Pokémon(remove accented e) Pokemon. Having a cleric Pokemon such as Latias is fantastic for removing burns or Toxic. Good physical walls such as like keep such as Landorus-T that handle powerful setup sweepers,(AC) such as Swords Dance Excadrill or Garchomp,(AC) this isn't necessary. Excluded bits of the sentence like this can either be closed off with two commas surrounding them, OR it can have no commas. With no commas, this is correct. Remember either two or no commas, rhythyms :} support Zapdos, as Zapdos cannot beat most of them. Physical walls like such as Hippowdon can handle setup sweepers like such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X.

Other Options
########

U-turn is an option over Volt Switch if you don't want to be stopped by Ground-type Pokemon before switching out. Choice Scarf Zapdos, while outclassed by Thundurus, provides a nice surprise to opponents who expect a bulky set. Rocky Helmet is an option over Leftovers, especially on the specially defensive set, as it allows Zapdos to deal with physical attackers much better with physical attackers. Roar is good against setup sweepers and helps stack up entry hazard damage. Discharge is mostly an inferior Thunderbolt, although the added chance of paralysis is helpful.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Keeping Stealth Rock on the field is a great way to wear down Zapdos and cost it turns because it has to use Defog to clear them.

**Setup Sweepers**: Zapdos can't do a whole lot to setup sweepers like such as Swords Dance Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus,(RC) if it's lacking Hidden Power Ice, and Mega Charizard X can cleanly set up with no issues.

**Powerful STAB Attacks**: Even though Zapdos is bulky, strong attacks like such as Dragalge's Draco Meteor and Talonflame's Flare Blitz do a lot of damage.

**Special Walls**: Walls like such as Chansey, Tyranitar, (AC) and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as without Toxic, (RC) Zapdos cannot retaliate with any move.

2/2 (psa: user Soulblaster is mathematically 100% awful)

Rhythms make sure you check over my additional changes. There were some things in here that were unnecessary, but only a few. However, for both of you, let me clarify this...

'Such as' is used when you give an example--it winds up being correct just about 95% of the time in Smogon work. 'Like' should only be used when doing a comparison (Like Thundurus, Zapdos can use Volt Switch to gain momentum). It doesn't matter if such as is used multiple times throughout a sentence, because it's usually right!

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
uploading

e: this upload has been delayed due to quality concerns, it will be dealt with soon

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
the original quality concerns were related to the lack of detail in this analysis, especially compared to the original analysis. after talking with a few others, we decided it would be best to merge this with the current analysis, as in add the second set (which I beefed up a lot) and update it for the metagame with the new details and revisions from this analysis. this is now uploaded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)