VGC Rate my VGC Team

So after cycling through a bunch of different VGC teams and testing them out, this one seemed to work okay, but it has some holes, so I was looking for some input. Mainly on how to handle Mega Kang better as that seems to be one big thing that punches holes in my team without issue, and I can't decide how to try and handle it better. So here it is:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
-Unerve
Jolly/ 252 ATK/252 SPE/4 HP
-Rock Slide
-Taunt
-Tailwind
-Protect
Aerodactyl is here to set up tailwind mainly. But after play testing this team, I realized that I needed taunt, and due to his speed and role as a lead, he got stuck with the job.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
-Rain Dish
Calm/ 164 HP/ 252 DEF/ 72 SPA/ 20 SPD
-Scald
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Fake Out
Ludicolo is the fake out support. Along with Aerodactyl he allows for the tailwind set up, and then plays a nice role as bulky assault vest. Good for dealing with bulky water types that my team doesn't appreciate (Milotic). EV's are just edited from one of the Smogon sets that I saw when I was dling research into Ludicolo.

Charizard-Y @ Charizardite Y
-Drought
Timid/ 252 SPA/ 252 SPE/ 4 SPD
-Heat Wave
-Solar Beam
-Ancient Power
-Protect
Charizard is here as the main attacker on my team. Or I thought he would be that, but he seems to play less so of that role with all the Lando's running around with Rock Slide. But he's just here to hit hard with heat wave. Ancient power is just here to help with other Char Y's, but I would be open to getting rid of it for something else.

Mamoswine @ Lum Berry
-Thick Fat
Adamant/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 4 SPD
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Protect
Mamoswine is here as a counterpart to Charizard. He works really well with him as he can use the earthquakes under him, and also checks those Garchomps and Lando's that threaten him. Also the Ground Ice typing is really good in VGC right now as it hits alot of things hard I've found in using him. Choosing to run adamant over jolly as without the life orb, he needs the extra power.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
-Defiant
Adamant/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 4 DEF
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Knock Off
-Protect
Bisharp just hits so many things so hard. Especially if he gets out with the tailwind up. He gets rid of the Sylveons that are running rampant, and take advantage of the intimidates, and makes my oppenets think twice about sending out their intimidaters, which helps Mamoswine. He also synergizes well well with Charizard, as his sucker punch can help land some KO's in combination with heat wave.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
-Pixilate
Modest/ 220 HP/ 252 SPA/ 36 SPE
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Heal Bell
-Protect
Sylveon is here as it just hits like a truck. It hits fighting types that threaten both Mamo and Bisharp, and hits dragons hard that are so common in VGC. I went with Leftovers over choice specs because I found it hard to keep sylveon alive long without protect out of the tailwind. The 36 speed EV's are there so it can out-speed non-scarfed jolly Garchomp and all the base 100 mons in tailwind.

So yeah, I've used this team a bunch and have done relatively well with it, but need some help patching up the holes. Any suggestions are very welcome, and thank you for reading!

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hey dude your team looks great. I'll go through the pokemon one through one :)
Aerodactyl: Looks fine lol, nothing i would change
Ludicolo: Moveset wise its fine however for the EVs, i recommend changing it to 252 HP / 84 Def / 148 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe with a Modest nature. The 252 HP gives it better overall bulk while the 84 Def makes dragon claw from jolly Garchomp a 2HKO (although not as relevant now :P)
Charizard Y: TBH Overheat is better than ancient power being that AP usually won't OHKO Char Y's anyways and Overheat will do the same damage to Char Y/Talon in the sun as Ancient Power. Plus Overheat lets you OHKO other mons too such as Mega Kangaskhan with the sun up so it has more uses too. Personally i prefer a bulkier spread that allows me to survive non STAB rock slides but standard 252 is probably better for your team considering it kind of revolves around tailwind
Mamoswine: looks fine lol
Bisharp: looks fine lol
Sylveon: Passive recovery from leftovers isn't the best in VGC, unless you've already used your sitrus berry or you're using a pokemon with substitute, since the games are very fast paced and those HP that you heal from Lefties won't make too big of a difference in the long run. I suggest changing Leftovers to a more offensive item such as Life Orb/Choice Specs since offensive sylveon is REALLY good this season. I suggest changing the moveset to Hyper Voice, Psyshock, Shadow Ball/HP Fire/HP ground, Coverage (if specs)/Protect (if life orb)/Helping Hand (if life orb)/Sleep Talk/Moonblast (to bypass wide guard)/Hyper Beam

Well other than that, your team looks great dude. Good luck with it :)

Awesome, thanks for the input, I'll definitely try out this stuff as it seems to patch up the holes I have, especially Overheat on Charizard as hitting Kangashkhan harder is a big deal, so thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)