The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I don't think anyone has asked this, at least in this thread, but wouldn't they figure this out when Tom Brady threw an interception?

Sorry if I'm being really misinformed but I don't watch that much football. Cutler is ruining my bears though.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Luckily Ray Lewis wasn't tried in the court of Public opinion. Where you're instantly convicted of an accused crime even when all the facts haven't been gathered.
You mean, kind of like how the Patriots were labeled as cheaters within minutes of the accusation breaking in the media before any actual investigation had been conducted?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
You mean, kind of like how the Patriots were labeled as cheaters within minutes of the accusation breaking in the media before any actual investigation had been conducted?
Either I have really lost my subtlety game here, or waterbomb doesn't get that was pretzels joke?

Ok I don't think anyone has asked this, at least in this thread, but wouldn't they figure this out when Tom Brady threw an interception?

Sorry if I'm being really misinformed but I don't watch that much football. Cutler is ruining my bears though.
Fancy meeting you here mike

It was actually right after D'Qwell Jackson intercepted Brady that the ball was first taken for investigation, though apparently the inspection had been planned beforehand: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-football-before-dqwell-jackson-interception/

And I'm sure the Bears will be better, if only slightly, next year with Fox at the helm.

Colts fan here. I honestly don't know why DeflateGate is being blown out of proportion.(Get it? Blown...My jokes are lame...)
Bad puns aside though, fellow Colts fans and Patriots haters are quick on the trigger to accuse them as guilty. Yes, it is cheating. Yes, they likely are guilty and yes they should be punished but everyone's reacting as if they robbed the Colts a Super Bowl appearance. Fact is that the Patriots were the better team ,cheat or no, and we would've been pounded without cheating. Since Baltimore lost we were screwed over a Super Bowl.
I just have a feeling the Patriots are guilty because of the way Brady and Bellicheck have been defending their team denying any scandal. At least one of those 2 at least knows something we don't.
EDIT: even though I have a feeling they did cheat I'm not going to assume they're guilty. Innocent until proven guilty. Also, didn't the Ravens complain about it too?

Last edited:
Yeah the patriots crushed the colts anyways, they could've done so even without cheating.
No offense to any colts fans
None taken. I'm a diehard Colts fan but even I realized how bad we were regardless of whether or not the Patriots cheated. The Colts have never done well against the Patriots in the past 15 years(barring the 2006 AFC championship game)
I personally can't wait until Brady and Bellicheck retire so they can become a mediocre team

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
They didn't actually cheat anyway. The deflated footballs were noticed during the half time inspection and harmlessly swapped out. The question is obviously whether or not they intended to cheat.

None taken. I'm a diehard Colts fan but even I realized how bad we were regardless of whether or not the Patriots cheated. The Colts have never done well against the Patriots in the past 15 years(barring the 2006 AFC championship game)
I personally can't wait until Brady and Bellicheck retire so they can become a mediocre team
Why both? When Brady retires it's all over for that team. Belicheat would need to luck his way into a qb before he gets fired by all the inevitable losing seasons. We all know about 2008 blah blah. Except that was one of the greatest teams ever built and any semi decent qb would have won as many games as they did. The Patriots didn't win it all that year only because Brady got injured. In the end belicheat might find another qb or he won't and he'll get kicked out the door or be forced to retire once Brady leaves. But really it doesn't matter. It's not like they've been doing anything impressive for the last couple years.

Also the praise the Pats secondary gets is laughable. I read an article trying to debate if they were better than the LoB. This is a really forced comparison. The LoB is legendary, all time great. While that Pats secondary gets burnt every other game(almost literally). One is filled with aging veterans while the other has a ridiculous group of young players who are individually the best at their respective positions. I'd take the Broncos and Colts secondary before the Pats.

Last edited:
Why both? When Brady retires it's all over for that team. Belicheat would need to luck his way into a qb before he gets fired by all the inevitable losing seasons. We all know about 2008 blah blah. Except that was one of the greatest teams ever built and any semi decent qb would have won as many games as they did. The Patriots didn't win it all that year only because Brady got injured. In the end belicheat might find another qb or he won't and he'll get kicked out the door or be forced to retire once Brady leaves. But really it doesn't matter. It's not like they've been doing anything impressive for the last couple years.

Also the praise the Pats secondary gets is laughable. I read an article trying to debate if they were better than the LoB. This is a really forced comparison. The LoB is legendary, all time great. While that Pats secondary gets burnt every other game(almost literally). One is filled with aging veterans while the other has a ridiculous group of young players who are individually the best at their respective positions. I'd take the Broncos and Colts secondary before the Pats.
True. The Bellicheck-Brady duo is legendary so that's why I lumped the two together. However after reading that post it makes sense.
Once either retires the Colts have a shot at a Super Bowl for once. Looking forward to that :]

There's no question that the balls were deflated. That's already been confirmed. The issue was that it may have been intentional. Brady and Bellicheck keep denying purposeful tampering but honestly they know something they're not telling. One of the Patriots took a sack of balls into the locker room 90 seconds before kickoff so we may have something here.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no question that the balls were deflated. That's already been confirmed. The issue was that it may have been intentional. Brady and Bellicheck keep denying purposeful tampering but honestly they know something they're not telling.
reminder that the NFL has issued exactly one statement about the investigation, and the rest is ESPN/twitterverse "journalism"

They didn't actually cheat anyway. The deflated footballs were noticed during the half time inspection and harmlessly swapped out. The question is obviously whether or not they intended to cheat.
reminder that cheating for one half is still cheating ??? I guess

Matt Stafford Offensive MVP in Pro Bowl
just saying
reminder that MATTY ICE was the one that won the game, though from what I've heard that title should probably go to ANDY DALTON, which reminds me

Look at this nerd. Watching the pro bowl. What a nerd.
reminder that only NERDS watch the pro bowl

one last reminder: every super bowl needs a story to distract the filthy casuals who pay attention to one game a year. recently we've had the Harbowl, and the "omg it's Peyton Fuckin Manning and the #1 offense ever against the #1 defense of all time" circlejerk last year, and the patriots have been here a bazillion times (or so) so they need a new story besides m-muh Brady and m-muh Belichick. this year the media's clearly decided to make this GOOD VS. EVIL, UP AND COMERS WILSON/CARROLL VS. OLD FARTS BRADY/BELICHICK. there is a reason that fox news, cnn, and all those other "news" stations are reporting this story, not just the "sports news" stations. they want a way to appeal to the people who don't watch the NFL week to week. it's no surprise that the story rapidly moved past actually being about the game... you could say it was never really about the game to begin with.

One of the Patriots took a sack of balls into the locker room 90 seconds before kickoff so we may have something here.
reminder that fondling a sack of balls is just about the only thing he could have done in those 90 seconds anyway :^) :^) :^)

TheValkyries

1st ranked pass defense or 17th ranked pass defense? Hmmmmm...
Oh right, because there's that stat that only reflects the performance of the secondary which is why the Bills are ranked 3rd because they have such a great secondary, right?

Oh what's that Warren Sapp? You say pass defense is combination of the pass rush and the pass coverage? But that would mean that a great DLine with a bad secondary would fall in ranks (Detroit 13) or that a great secondary with poor pass rushing abilities would fall as well (New England 17). And we all know that that just can't be accurate...

To follow in Killah's footsteps, here's a reminder...
What the great Legion of Boom faced up against in the second half of the season:
Eli(te) Manning, Alex D. Smith, Drew Stanton, Colin Crapernick, Mark Sanchez, Crapernick part II, Ryan Lindley, Shaun Hill.

Here's the Patriots Second Half of the season:
Peyton Manning (pre-injury), Andrew Luck, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Kyle Orton.

In those games here's Seattles Pass D Stats:
236 passing attempts for 1,195 yards (5.06 YPA), on 135 completions (57.2%) with 3 TDs allowed, 8 interceptions, and 26 sacks.

the Patriots meanwhile:
310 passing attempts for 2,150 yards (6.9 YPA), on 181 completions (58.39%) with 10 TDs allowed, 8 interceptions and 18 sacks.

So yeah, the Patriots gave up twice as many yards and almost 2 yards more on average, but they also got to the QB half as often as the Seahawks did. This is indicative of less pass rush giving more time for a QB to throw (i.e. more busted plays). But keep in mind Seahawks got to play some little league QBs, while the Patriots were facing off against murderer's row.

BUT HEY, you might say, LOOK AT THE TDS ALLOWED! THEY'RE CLEARLY NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE IS THE SEATTLE D AND THE LEGION OF BOOM!

This gets more into "total defense" territory rather than just the secondary, but for the sake of funsies and comparison, let's go ahead and outline this point.

In the same time frame as above Seattle had allowed 35.37% (29 of 82) of all 3rd down attempts to be converted, and 50% (four of eight) fourth down attempts were converted. They also held opponents out of the endzone 50% (7 of the 14) of the times their opponents were in the redzone.

The Patriots meanwhile in the second half of the season allowed 36% (40 of 111) of all 3rd down attempts to be converted, 37.5% (6-16) of all fourth down attempts, and allowed TDs on only 38% (8 of 21) of opposing redzone trips.

And again, compare and contrast the quality of the opponents the two teams were facing in this time frame.

Is the Legion of Boom great? Yeah they fucking are. I'd say what they did last year with Brandon Browner is probably going to go down in the annals of NFL history akin to what the DLine of the Ravens did in 2000, or what the Linebackers of the Bears did in 85. But to say that the Legion of Boom is not benefiting a bit from their own legend and that the Patriots secondary this year is not in the same conversation as the Seahawk Secondary is a tad oblivious. To laugh off even the insinuation that there's a conversation to be had proves that you know absolutely nothing about the game of Football.

But to say that the Legion of Boom is not benefiting a bit from their own legend and that the Patriots secondary this year is not in the same conversation as the Seahawk Secondary is a tad oblivious.

Don't even know what the point of you giving that "total defense" comparison. I know you aren't implying that the Patriots' defense is better than the Seahawks' or in the same conversation? Surely you must be pointing out a stat or two to brag that they were better than the Seahawks' defense at something. Yea, that has to be it. Getting so defensive just makes you come off as an asswipe, TBH.

Last edited:

TheValkyries

Don't even know what the point of you giving that "total defense" comparison. I know you aren't implying that the Patriots' defense is better than the Seahawks' or in the same conversation? Surely you must be pointing out a stat or two to brag that they were better than the Seahawks' defense at something. Yea, that has to be it. Getting so defensive just makes you come off as an asswipe, TBH.
You're right I'm not implying the Patriots Defense is better than the Seahawks Defense, I'm stating that the Patriots Secondary is arguably (as in possible to make a case for) better this year considering they put up similar numbers to them despite playing 3-4 future hall of fame QBs whereas Seattle was playing dogshit in a uniform. And yeah, I'm aware I'm being an asswipe, but it's not because I'm being defensive, it's because I really can't pretend that I seriously consider your onions on this to have any real value when your initiation in to this conversation was to say "lol number 1 in pass defense bro" and then post a gif that equates to "smh" when I mention that Seattle has played nobody even remotely adequate for half the damn season which most definitely led to some stat inflation (or in this case stat deflation [too soon?]).

I mean it's even better because I literally say why I brought up their situational football performance to show that "they aren't actually terrible at stopping TDs" despite them allowing 7 more than the Seahawks did. Honestly tho, that was just a platitude to make it more irrevocably clear that the difference between the two statlines is marginal and can be attributed to factors having nothing to do with the actual performance of the secondary.

But cool man, if you wanna just live in blindness and wait for your ready-made sports onions from the brilliant ESPN analysts after the fact, go ahead and ignore what I'm saying and call me a mouth-breathing homer dickweed for all I give a fuck.

You're right I'm not implying the Patriots Defense is better than the Seahawks Defense, I'm stating that the Patriots Secondary is arguably (as in possible to make a case for) better this year considering they put up similar numbers to them despite playing 3-4 future hall of fame QBs whereas Seattle was playing dogshit in a uniform. And yeah, I'm aware I'm being an asswipe, but it's not because I'm being defensive, it's because I really can't pretend that I seriously consider your onions on this to have any real value when your initiation in to this conversation was to say "lol number 1 in pass defense bro" and then post a gif that equates to "smh" when I mention that Seattle has played nobody even remotely adequate for half the damn season which most definitely led to some stat inflation (or in this case stat deflation [too soon?]).

I mean it's even better because I literally say why I brought up their situational football performance to show that "they aren't actually terrible at stopping TDs" despite them allowing 7 more than the Seahawks did. Honestly tho, that was just a platitude to make it more irrevocably clear that the difference between the two statlines is marginal and can be attributed to factors having nothing to do with the actual performance of the secondary.

But cool man, if you wanna just live in blindness and wait for your ready-made sports onions from the brilliant ESPN analysts after the fact, go ahead and ignore what I'm saying and call me a mouth-breathing homer dickweed for all I give a fuck.
Homer alert. Make it appear like the hawks ONLY played crappy qbs when in fact Eli Manning was better than every passer the Patriots played minus Peyton, Rodgers and Luck. Don't let Elis amazing comeback season stop you though. Keep going.

Am I a nerd if I followed the #whosgonnawin on the NFL Mobile app?
Well whatever maybe I am, but the Seahawks were the pick America made. Doesn't really say anything about who'll win but I figured that I'd at least make a mention of it.
EDIT: apparently these light shows are every day so yea :/ Everyone keep voting Seahawks #12s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)