Chatot (QC: 0/3) Dropped; please lock and move

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Chatot
QC: 0/3
GP: 0/2

Overview
########

+ Access to two great STAB attacks in Boomburst and Chatter
+ Pierces through foes that rely on Substitute, as its two STAB moves are both sound-based
+ Heat Wave and Boomburst are now compatible
+ Chatter's confusion allows Chatot opportunities to set up a Nasty Plot
+ Both its sets force many switches, keeping opposing momentum in check
+ Faster than Exploud, and has access to U-turn to keep momentum up
- Base 91 Speed isn't that great for a setup sweeper
- Extremely frail, with mere 76 / 45 / 42 bulk
- Stealth Rock weakness limits the amount of times it can switch in
- Often has to rely on confusion hax
- Much more frail than Exploud, and lacks Scrappy

Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Boomburst
move 3: Heat Wave / Chatter
move 4: Encore / Substitute
ability: Tangled Feet
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Leftovers
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Nasty Plot is Chatot's boosting move of choice, raising its Special Attack to fairly high levels
- Boomburst is Chatot's primary STAB attack, hitting many things hard with its 140 Power
- Heat Wave hits Doublade, Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix for considerable damage
- Chatter will confuse foes and give Chatot a better opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot
- Encore can cripple a setup sweeper who attempts to boost off of Chatot, or a defensive Pokemon that is attempting to set up entry hazards
- Substitute will protect Chatot from strong attacks that will KO it through its paper-thin defenses

Set Details
========

- Standard EVs and nature for a fast special sweeper
- Life Orb will boost Chatot's offensive power
- Should you be running Substitute, Leftovers allow Chatot to recover Substitute damage. Passive healing also gives it more chances to set up a Substitute
- Focus Sash guarantees it to get at least one Nasty Plot boost under its belt

Usage Tips
========

- This set is prone to revenge killing
- Chatot should only be coming into the battlefield on free switch-ins
- You should lock the foe into said move with Encore, and use Chatter on the switch if it carries it. Alternatively, it can set up Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened
- Opposing Choice Scarf users, priority attackers, and faster Pokemon will give Chatot a very hard time setting up
- Set up a Substitute when Chatot forces its foe to switch, such as against Alomomola or non-Choice Scarf Emboar, or after inflicting confusion with Chatter
- There is little that Chatot can use for setup fodder. Your best bet is a defensive Pokemon that sets entry hazards, which Encore makes easier to do

Team Options
========

- A hazard remover such as Hitmonlee is mandatory to keep Chatot from switching into Stealth Rock
- If not running Heat Wave, Fire-types such as Houndoom will deal with the Steel-types that wall this set
- Chatot appreciates help from offensive Pokemon that hit Rock-types hard, such as Mega Sceptile and Clawitzer
- As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the likes of Omastar and Cobalion can maximize its effectiveness
- U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Meloetta or Rotom-C, respectively, can bring Chatot into the battlefield for free, and vice versa

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Chatter / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Specs

Moves
========

- Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Power will be ripping through anything that doesn't resist it
- Heat Wave muscles past Steel-types, such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix
- Chatter is Chatot's other STAB move, but it is more of a utility move for spreading confusion
- Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass hits the Rock-types of RU, such as Omastar and Rhyperior
- U-turn allows Chatot to keep momentum on the battlefield

Set Details
========

- Timid allows Chatot to outspeed Rotom-C and Meloetta
- Choice Specs gives Chatot more killing power

Usage Tips
========

- Being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Faster Pokemon can revenge kill Chatot due to its frailty and average Speed
- When in doubt, scout with U-turn

Team Options
========

- A hazard remover, such as Gligar, is mandatory to keep Chatot from switching into Stealth Rock
- As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the Pokemon such as Omastar can maximize its effectiveness
- Being a wallbreaker, this set enjoys a revenge killer, such as Fletchinder, to come in and clean up the weakened opposing team
- Dugtrio support is necessary to trap and kill faster threats that resist Boomburst, such as Cobalion

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Chatter / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

- Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Power will be ripping through anything that doesn't resist it
- U-turn allows Chatot to keep momentum on the battlefield
- Heat Wave is to muscle past Steel-types, such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix
- Chatter is Chatot's other STAB move, but it is more of a utility move for spreading confusion
- Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass hits the Rock-types of RU, such as Omastar and Rhyperior

Set Details
========

- Choice Scarf allows Chatot to attempt a late-game cleanup

Usage Tips
========

- Being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Bulky Pokemon can wall Chatot easily due to its inability to boost its Special Attack
- When in doubt, scout with U-turn

Team Options
========

- A hazard remover, such as Gligar, is mandatory to keep Chatot from switching into Stealth Rock
- Physical attackers will deal with the special walls that give this set trouble. Hitmonlee can easily eliminate Registeel, for example
- As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Omastar can maximize its effectiveness
- U-turning into Dugtrio allows Chatot to maintain momentum and trap something it cannot beat on its own

Other Options
########

- Almost no legitimate other options
- Roost allows Chatot to heal itself. However, not only does it lack room for the move, but it is also too frail to use Roost reliably

Checks & Counters
########

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf holders, such as Jolteon and Moltres, respectively, can outspeed non-Choice Scarf Chatot and likely OHKO it.

**Priority**: Due to Chatot's frailty, priority attacks such as Spritomb's Sucker Punch, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard can easily pick it off.

**Dedicated Walls**: Even with Nasty Plot, Chatot's average base 92 Special Attack means it cannot break some walls, such as Slowking.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Though Chatot has the coverage for both, Rock- and Steel-types such as Kabutops and Bronzong nonetheless wall Chatot's STAB attacks and can severely damage it back.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Idk actually argue that Encore should get a main slash over Substitute as it gives you a lot more opportunities to set up. Such as locking support mons into stuff such as wish or better yet locking Pokemon into Earthquake as well as Stealth Rock / Defog. Usage tips should be amended to say that Chatot should switch in on predicted wishes / rocks / eqs / etc. etc. and then to go for encore and either Chatter on the switch or if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened Nasty Plot.

Also idk about Choice Specs being put over Nasty Plot, but I'll let QC decide on that one, personally I wouldn't run Specs as it would much rather run Exploud as it gets Scrappy.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Idk actually argue that Encore should get a main slash over Substitute as it gives you a lot more opportunities to set up. Such as locking support mons into stuff such as wish or better yet locking Pokemon into Earthquake as well as Stealth Rock / Defog. Usage tips should be amended to say that Chatot should switch in on predicted wishes / rocks / eqs / etc. etc. and then to go for encore and either Chatter on the switch or if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened Nasty Plot.

Also idk about Choice Specs being put over Nasty Plot, but I'll let QC decide on that one, personally I wouldn't run Specs as it would much rather run Exploud as it gets Scrappy.
Done.

Empress

Heat Wave should be given the primary slash for every set and Chatter the secondary one, I don't see a reason why Chatot would want to opt for being walled by Steels just to potentially hax the opponent with Chatter.

Also, please separate the Choice sets, they play differently so they should not be merged.
Done.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why should i use Choice sets over exploud

Discuss
Well there are a couple of main things that stand out, its faster and has access to U-turn to pivot out of unfavorable situations. Also it is actually stronger than Exploud by one base point as demonstrated on the calcs below, of course using Timid the power difference is noticeable, but the speed and the access to uturn make up for that.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus: 187-222 (42.1 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus: 189-223 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

tehy

Banned deucer.
The speed is nice, but does Specs really get the drop on anything significant? And for that matter, does Scarf? (Assume Exploud can use timid- sure it sucks, but it sucks for chatot too).

Oh yeah-i'd argue exploud can more afford to use modest; not because of lower speed (shitass reason) but because of higher bulk and lack of SR weak.

As for uturn, tbh an unfavorable situation for specsploud is 'outsped and OHKOed' but mostly that can't switch in (just cobal), so you can't really u-turn on it. With Chatot you can get into unfavorable situations becuz no scrappy (a huge benefit of choiced exploud) and being bad at hitting rock-types (another benefit of exploud)

My internet is running out and I must husband it until the first of the month, so i'll leave you with these questions (instead of answering them myself like I would otherwise)

Is the extra Speed a deciding factor on Specs? What about Scarf? If not, is it U-turn? (i.e. should HP Grass even be slashed. And if not, should it be slashed with Chatter?)

Is Dugtrio support with u-turn something that can make Chatot viable if it isn't already? Should dugtrio support be mandatory?

Analysis should acknowledge competition imo; explain why to use chatot>exploud

Empress

Thanks tehy and Montsegur, I've made edits accordingly.

Also made a mention of possibly using Modest on Chatot to give it similar killing power to Exploud.

Last edited:

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
IMO Abomasnow needs a mention since Soundproof means it can switch in on Chatter and Boomburst, can wall choiced sets locked into wrong moves and NP without Heat Wave.

Empress

IMO Abomasnow needs a mention since Soundproof means it can switch in on Chatter and Boomburst, can wall choiced sets locked into wrong moves and NP without Heat Wave.
Interesting point, as once Abomasnow Mega Evolves, it'll survive even a Specs Boomburst without hazards up. Let's see what QC thinks and then I definitely might add it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interesting point, as once Abomasnow Mega Evolves, it'll survive even a Specs Boomburst without hazards up. Let's see what QC thinks and then I definitely might add it.
Also mega abomasnow can easily pick off chatot with ice shard due to how frail the bird is.
He was referring to Soundproof as an ability before mega evolving if that wasnt clear.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ah. Makes sense. Mentioning Abomasnow right now
Abomasnow's OHKOed by Heat Wave though e.e

Maybe make a section for priority instead, including stuff like Abomasnow / Mega Glalie Ice Shard, Skuntank / Spiritomb Sucker Punch, and Fletchinder Acrobatics.

Empress

Abomasnow's OHKOed by Heat Wave though e.e

Maybe make a section for priority instead, including stuff like Abomasnow / Mega Glalie Ice Shard, Skuntank / Spiritomb Sucker Punch, and Fletchinder Acrobatics.
I mention priority in the Revenge Killers section, though. Is that enough?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I mention priority in the Revenge Killers section, though. Is that enough?
aah, didn't see that; my bad. still, some of those aren't revenge killers necessarily (see: spiritomb), so it may be nice for them to have another mention. Faster Pokemon + Scarfers still encompasses a lot, though, so you can probably fill that in more with examples.

Empress

aah, didn't see that; my bad. still, some of those aren't revenge killers necessarily (see: spiritomb), so it may be nice for them to have another mention. Faster Pokemon + Scarfers still encompasses a lot, though, so you can probably fill that in more with examples.
Done.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make the item slash as follows: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Leftovers, cuz Substitute is slashed after Encore.

Doublade as a target for Heat Wave.

"- This set is prone to revenge killing, so don't use it in the late game"
This is weird, what does that mean? Remove that point. It is prone to revenge killing yes but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be used until late game.

"- Chatot should switch in on a predicted status move, lock the foe into said move with Encore, and use Chatter on the switch if it carries it. Alternatively, it can set up Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened"
Chatot should never switch into a status move. Chatot should actually absolutely avoid switching in at all, it should be coming in either after something died or via slow VoltTurn or as opp switch something else.

In usage tips mention setting up Substitute on forced switches, such as against Emboar (that's not Scarf) or on Alomomola.

Replace Gligar mention in team options (of all sets) with something else; same goes to Moltres. Replace Omastar as a hazard setter with qwilfish or Crustle, or add them alongside it. Replace Mega Sceptile mention. Virizion, Rotom-C, or even Tangrowth can fit the bill. Also add rapid spinners (mainly hitmonlee) for all sets especially seeing how it can lure Doublade and smack it with Knock Off.

On the specs set I'm not sure Modest should be slashed; Chatot has a very trolly base 91 speed which outspeeds Meloetta, and it also allows it to outspeed Timid Rotom-C.

"but be careful against the Weak Armor users of Omastar and Kabutops, as you're not running Hidden Power Grass alongside it"
Remove this.

In Team Options add VoltTurn users which can bring Chatot in for free and vice-versa; as Rhyperior switches into Chatot you can u-turn out and go to Rotom-C etc.

Snobalt

Empress

Make the item slash as follows: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Leftovers, cuz Substitute is slashed after Encore.

Doublade as a target for Heat Wave.

"- This set is prone to revenge killing, so don't use it in the late game"
This is weird, what does that mean? Remove that point. It is prone to revenge killing yes but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be used until late game.

"- Chatot should switch in on a predicted status move, lock the foe into said move with Encore, and use Chatter on the switch if it carries it. Alternatively, it can set up Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened"
Chatot should never switch into a status move. Chatot should actually absolutely avoid switching in at all, it should be coming in either after something died or via slow VoltTurn or as opp switch something else.

In usage tips mention setting up Substitute on forced switches, such as against Emboar (that's not Scarf) or on Alomomola.

Replace Gligar mention in team options (of all sets) with something else; same goes to Moltres. Replace Omastar as a hazard setter with qwilfish or Crustle, or add them alongside it. Replace Mega Sceptile mention. Virizion, Rotom-C, or even Tangrowth can fit the bill. Also add rapid spinners (mainly hitmonlee) for all sets especially seeing how it can lure Doublade and smack it with Knock Off.

On the specs set I'm not sure Modest should be slashed; Chatot has a very trolly base 91 speed which outspeeds Meloetta, and it also allows it to outspeed Timid Rotom-C.

"but be careful against the Weak Armor users of Omastar and Kabutops, as you're not running Hidden Power Grass alongside it"
Remove this.

In Team Options add VoltTurn users which can bring Chatot in for free and vice-versa; as Rhyperior switches into Chatot you can u-turn out and go to Rotom-C etc.

Snobalt
Did these.

Empress

Ya know, I really don't want to do this one. It's lacking in detail and I haven't used Chatot in forever. Dropping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)