art by -

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Taking requests, though the art will be pretty suckish...

Hey guys!

I've always wanted to get into art, but I just didn't have the right skills. I'm looking to get better, but no plans on contributing art to Smogon until I get much better.

Last edited:

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Wow, I actually really, really love that Vileplume with that sort of paper cut-out style there. You should totally post more Pokemon drawn in that style, I'm really interested in seeing how you'll make them look * v *

I cannot post any requests because I as a lover of inspired-art believe that our creativity should be self-inspired . BTW the only request I make here is that if u cud provide a good tutorial for digital art in pokemon. thnx

Minus

It's been a while since I posted here haha! updates ^_^

A wild Pikachu appeared! I did this in about 10 minutes some months back, but never posted it.

I've been working on this for a while now, and I think it came out well! n_n

If anyone has some advice, please say so. I'm still /very/ to art, so anything is helpful. I'm currently using this program called Inkscape to make these vectors, but I eventually want to get past this stage @_@

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey Minus! I'll share what little advice I can, and hopefully some of it will be of use :)

If you're looking to improve your poses, I'd suggest first studying a bunch of different sources of official artwork of the pokemon you're trying to draw. Whenever I'm drawing a pokemon I haven't done before, I usually copy Ken Sugimori's artwork by hand first, and sometimes look at stills from the anime or manga before making rough sketches and original drawings; it tends to give me a better idea of that pokemon's anatomy, so that original drawings look more true to their actual appearance. Of course it looks like you're already doing that with Lugia here, but I think trying it out with some other pokemon (like Pikachu) would definitely benefit you!

Outside of that, the only thing I can think of immediately would be to try adding more shadows / highlights across the subjects. The bottom of Lugia's belly should be darker, and the front of it's thigh a bit lighter, for example (Though that's just what I see from looking at the official artwork; you could also try having the light source in a different position and draw the new highlights/shadows accordingly for some good practice).

I'd also like to mirror Sephirona's sentiments from way back and say that you did well with the unique pose of that Vileplume. It's also pretty cool how you have bits of red layered over the white lineart; gives it a sort of fractured appearance. If that makes sense :/ I like it though! :)

Hope this is helpful for you, keep up the good work!

Ah i'm loving that Vileplume and i'm glad you're sticking with that style as i see from the Lugie piece! It's this kind of cut off/ripped off, fractured kind of style that i cant explain but i absolutely adore it ;_; You could try experimenting with adding more shading to your work, it could really add a new dimension to your art. Seems like you've been working on that from what i can see with the Mudkip, so kudos for that. One more thing that i'd usually suggest to non-tablet users is that you should try out a program called paint tool SAI. It allows you to work with the width of your lineart so it has that smooth effect that you usually cant pull off if you're only using your mouse, and on top of that it's pretty simple. I believe that you'd manage well with it and that it'd only help make your work even better. It's not a must-use kind of thing, but it's totally something that i think you would enjoy trying out. Just a suggestion, though. Cheers!

Minus

Ah i'm loving that Vileplume and i'm glad you're sticking with that style as i see from the Lugie piece! It's this kind of cut off/ripped off, fractured kind of style that i cant explain but i absolutely adore it ;_; You could try experimenting with adding more shading to your work, it could really add a new dimension to your art. Seems like you've been working on that from what i can see with the Mudkip, so kudos for that. One more thing that i'd usually suggest to non-tablet users is that you should try out a program called paint tool SAI. It allows you to work with the width of your lineart so it has that smooth effect that you usually cant pull off if you're only using your mouse, and on top of that it's pretty simple. I believe that you'd manage well with it and that it'd only help make your work even better. It's not a must-use kind of thing, but it's totally something that i think you would enjoy trying out. Just a suggestion, though. Cheers!
Haven't had a change to try it out yet, but you bet i will haha. I tried varying the width of my line art in the piece below and i think it turned out much better than my rough draft which didn't vary line-width! Thank you for your time and suggestions!

i'll start on requests soon n_n

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man I really like your style. It's clean and it's cool.

I've always wanted to get into art, but I just didn't have the right skills. I'm looking to get better, but no plans on contributing art to Smogon until I get much better.
I completely feel you on this. I look forward to see what you put out in the future! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)