UnderUsed Teambuilding Workshop [Tour] View Post #96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have plenty of bad ideas, but none are viable at all, so.
Just go all out, suggest something that legitimately could fall flat on its face. The idea is to suggest something that just might work, not something sure to succeed, maybe something to go with the specially based Flygon.

Oh, you want something different and out there? Well then, pleas excuse my double submission, but

Musharna @ Kee Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock

I stole this from a post the RU forums and it seems pretty interesting. I've also seen it do work in RU, so lets see if it can work in UU. Kee berry raises your defense by one stage if hit by a physical attack, so basically you just cm up and pass them nice boosty boosts to whoever the heck you feel like and it'll be a nice and delicious snackwrap. Weird enough for you?

Oh, you want something different and out there? Well then, pleas excuse my double submission, but

Musharna @ Kee Berry
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock

I stole this from a post the RU forums and it seems pretty interesting. I've also seen it do work in RU, so lets see if it can work in UU. Kee berry raises your defense by one stage if hit by a physical attack, so basically you just cm up and pass them nice boosty boosts to whoever the heck you feel like and it'll be a nice and delicious snackwrap. Weird enough for you?
Love it.

Someone try and one up this guy with something to pair this with, let's get this thread going for real.

Musharna @ Kee Berry
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock

HolE that's innovation. Kee Berry is fucking swag and it's bulky as shit so it can take hits for dayZ. To put it in perspective, Musharna is 6 HP and 10 defensive bulkier than Reuniclus. :]

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Free
- Free

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / Free
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Free
- Free

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Free

No sprites because this post already feels way too long.

Anyway.

I quickly threw together a little Bulky Offense Psychic/Fighting/Dark core around OTR Reun because I love the way it takes apart offense teams. CB Champ is to help it out against more defensive builds as well as switching in on scalds for free. EVs and last two moveslots are free because I don't know how much people creep with their champs and it lets you choose which steel move you're carrying. It also gives you the possibility of running like, min speed champ to take advantage of Reun's Trick Rooms. Krook rounds out the core with stealth rock support and a neat typing/ability. Last moveslot is for taunt/pursuit basically, but if you find something else fun to run there you might as well give it a go. DREAD PL8 is mandatory, not blackglasses. I've again left the speed eving free for creep.

Give it a go! n_n

Last edited:
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Free
- Free

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Free
- Free

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Free

No sprites because this post already feels way too long.

Anyway.

I quickly threw together a little Bulky Offense Psychic/Fighting/Dark core around OTR Reun because I love the way it takes apart offense teams. CB Champ is to help it out against more defensive builds as well as switching in on scalds for free. EVs and last two moveslots are free because I don't know how much people creep with their champs and it lets you choose which steel move you're carrying. It also gives you the possibility of running like, min speed champ to take advantage of Reun's Trick Rooms. Krook rounds out the core with stealth rock support and a neat typing/ability. Last moveslot is for taunt/pursuit basically, but if you find something else fun to run there you might as well give it a go. DREAD PL8 is mandatory, not blackglasses. I've again left the speed eving free for creep.

Give it a go! n_n
Why psychic over psyshock on reun?

Why psychic over psyshock on reun?
The extra BP of psychic converts some 2HKOs to OHKOs, notably:

252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Entei: 208-246 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 259-305 (69.8 - 82.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Plus the spdef drop chance is useful if you're lucky enough. I'll go ahead and slash psyshock tho, they're both pretty good options.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs:
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
-
-

Serperior @
Ability: Contrary
EVs:
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
-
-
-

This core isn't that common yet, but I think it may become THE way to run Serperior in this tier. Contrary Serperior is a very dangerous sweeper, with Crobat being one of the only pokemon holding it back. Pursuit Mega-Aero fixes that by removing opposing Crobat. If the team can keep rocks up, Crobat will get worn down and trapped, leaving Serperior free to spam Leaf Storm. Serperior also has the added bonus of beating the bulky waters and grounds that wall Aerodactyl.

So i'd like to suggest this :

Braviary @
Ability: Defiant
EVs:
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- BraveBird
-
-
-

in a team built around Spikes + StealthRocks .
I'd really like to see it works. I think with a boost from Defiant , if you switch on Defog can transform Braviary in a great wallbreaker.
The gameplan would be to stack hazards , so the opponents has to defog , you come when he uses Defog , and sweep.
Some calcs :
+2 252+ Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 271-319 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 276-325 (68.3 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 330-388 (86.1 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 225-265 (74.7 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Seeing the lack of cores and such, I thought it would make it easier for the builders to have some more options on what to build with...

Barbaracle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Free Move

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 216 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Free Move
- Free Move

Inspired by RadiantTheHero's SPL game, I thought it would be cool to suggest a Barbaracle core. With Tough Claws, Barbaracle hits pretty well (refer to calcs below). Most people think barbaracle is outclassed by Cloyster, another popular Shell Smasher, but thats not always the case. Due to Cloysters Ability, Skill Link, you want to have your standard icicle spear / rock blast combo. With Barbaracle, it fits better into teams due to it having more coverage then cloyster. EQ, X-Scissor, Cross Chop, and Dragon Claw are some of those moves that provide great coverage. Yes, you do lose the ability to break subs and still do damage to the mon at the same time like Cloyster can, but it's something you can give up for and use something like a infiltrator user if thats really the problem. The reason why Celebi is paired up with Barbaracle is because the fact that they have type synergy together that works nicely. Barbaracle is a check towards fire types, which Celebi is weak to. My favorite scenario is setting up on a Entei. Barbaracle can for sure live the hit and set up on it. You can bait the Entei into Sacred Fire and live and take the possible burn due to the lum berry. Just set up and sweep :]. Once Barbaracles Lum Berry is gone however, it is very sacred of Status. Pairing it with Celebi with the Natural Cure ability allows it to absorb status. Celebi also works as a mon to set up SR, which helps barbaracle ensure a ko.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aggron: 260-308 (75.5 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aggron: 516-608 (150 - 176.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 200 HP / 252 Def Vaporeon: 168-198 (37.2 - 43.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 200 HP / 252 Def Vaporeon: 333-393 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Very nice for those who think Vap is a switch in)
252+ Atk Barbaracle Earthquake vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Tentacruel: 194-230 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 171-202 (45 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 200-236 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 146-172 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Allows you to set up on, even if it sacred fires and burns!!!)

This next core I am suggesting is due to Exploud getting Boomburst. I remember when XY came out that boomburst was really hyped up and a lot of people liked to use Exploud and Noivern a lot because of it. The downside to Noivern having it is that boomburst does not get a STAB boost and the user, Noivern, is fairly frail. Exploud provides a better option to teams that are not mostly HO or just completely HO.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Free Move
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Boomburst

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge / Espeed
- Bulldoze

The idea of this core is to break down any bulky wall, defensive or special. Banded Sacred fire hits hard and still has a chance to burn. This Residual damage from the burn helps Exploud just run though those walls. One problem is Exploud does not outspeed a lot in the tier. I figured running ground coverage would be great, which ended up with me having Bulldoze on Entei. Bulldoze provides ground coverage and lowers the speed of the adjacent moon. Exploud also has nice coverage that helps Entei brake through things quicker. Pair these two up with someting like Roserade to provide hazards and you will for sure hav a fun time.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 384-453 (91.4 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 320-378 (94.6 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 200 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 264-312 (58.5 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Alright, new core time. Time to get dangerous.

Flygon @ Draco Plate, Life Orb, Choice Specs, or Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain / SolarBeam
- U-turn

Special Flygon is something that nobody would dare use because of the very nature of it. It's not got the best special attack, being severely outclassed. What it does have is a speed tier to outspeed Hydreigon and every other dragon out there, alongside nearly every threat to it. Very few things move fast enough to present much of a threat, Starmie being the most notable off the top of my head, but with a diverse moveset accessible and STAB from two of the four moves, Flygon still goes pretty underrated. It also gets Giga Drain, which will put a good dent in any Swampert trying to pick it off, as well as almost any bulky water, ground, or rock-types that would switch in. U-Turn, while lacking both stab and any decent attack power, gets Flygon out in a hurry and saves it to fight another day and potentially get up as a violent late-game sweeper.

(reused because this is just dropped into a core)

Moltres @ Heat Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

This is essentially a modified RU set pulled off the analysis, but it sees next to no use and it tends to go unexpected. The idea is to get Sun up fast as possible, then either set up burns to drop physical threats in their tracks or start pounding on almost anything under the sun (pun intended). It actually one-shots Jirachi with Fire Blast, and Iron Head is a 4HKO in return. Swampert also has a problem, with Solar Beam being up in one turn and OHKOing that as well, 2HKO'ing the fish whose name is hard to spell, and having a chance to 2HKO Cune with max SpD. at about 50%. Overall, this is the one who will Praise the Sun.

Shiftry @ Life Orb, Leftovers, or Muscle Band (yes I said that)
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

The Tailwind support of the team. Chlorophyll makes Shiftry's speed double, then Tailwind for the rest of the team spreads that to make some truly impressive speed jumps. With Chlorophyll and Tailwind under the sun, Shiftry has a good bit of fun on forcing switches to something that can do damage faster than it can, and Swords Dance on the switch brings a good opportunity to punch holes on teams.

This is my core idea. Have fun, go ahead and switch some moves out but the basics have to stay. cx

Last edited:
yeah so I'd like to nominate a core that I've dabbled with a little bit lately

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
Even though it's not UU by usage anymore, Houndoom is still a force to be reckoned with in the UU tier. This is a fairly standard Nasty Plot variant. Taunt is used over other options like Sludge Bomb or Sucker Punch because it stops Houndoom's switch-ins (such as Blissey, Vaporeon or Florges) from statusing or throwing up a wish. It also allows Blissey to be setup fodder since it can't T-wave or Toxic. Dark Pulse and Fire Blast are obligatory dual STAB. With the proper support, this thing can tear through Balance teams like nobody's business. Some calcs:
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 206-243 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 220-261 (33.7 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Blissey can only S-Toss back)
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 200 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 246-291 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 246-289 (60.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance / Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Punch
Though this frog faces competition from other fighting types in the tier, Toxicroak's unique typing and handy water immunity make it very viable in today's meta. This thing sets up on most* bulky waters of the tier and still packs a huge punch with LO Adamant STAB Gunk Shot. Unfortunately, Toxicroak suffers from 4MSS. Without Sucker Punch, it lacks the priority it desperately needs with its shitty speed tier. Without Ice Punch it is walled to hell and back by Gligar, Nidoqueen and Crobat (to an extent). Without SD, Croak fails to beat standard CroCune, who can just stall it out of Gunk Shots. I usually run it without Ice punch and just bring something else to beat Gligar and the Nidos. Anyway, Toxicroak beats many of Houndoom's switch ins, mainly Blissey and bulky waters. It also has decent type synergy with Houndoom, though they share a ground weakness. Though it does have its drawbacks, Toxicroak can tear both offense and defense apart. Some calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 266-315 (87.7 - 103.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 165-196 (54.8 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 239-286 (71.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 317-374 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Entei: 277-328 (74.6 - 88.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 244-289 (65.4 - 77.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

*This excludes Swampert, Quagsire and the legendary Extrasensory Suicune. Restrictions apply. See store for details.

So when we start building around a Pokemon/core, do we need to publicly announce what we're using, or just wing it? Talking to Brock Obama right now on Skype and he voiced the concern that we were gonna have four teams running the same core.

So when we start building around a Pokemon/core, do we need to publicly announce what we're using, or just wing it? Talking to Brock Obama right now on Skype and he voiced the concern that we were gonna have four teams running the same core.
Agreed, we should make it 1 core per group so that we have some variation in the teams that are created.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since submissions are still open, here's another core that would be fun to see people build around:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake / Toxic / Rock Slide / Pursuit / free move
- Roost

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield / Wood Hammer / Roar
- Drain Punch

So, stallbreaker MAero is something that I've been playing with a bit lately, and it's fantastic. In addition to breaking stall, it sports the fastest Taunt in the tier, which allows it to prevent Defog even from Crobat. Its typing also lets it switch in on offensive Fire types, and do things like stall CB Entei out of Sacred Fire.

I wanted to pair it with something that had good defensive synergy and that could lay hazards. Chesnaught was a perfect pick, able to switch in to Water and Rock attacks for Aero and lay spikes or seeds. Meanwhile, Aero can come in on Crobat or strong Fire attackers, who always make life difficult for Chesnaught.

Regarding the sets, Taunt and Roost are musts on Aero. AA has been the most reliable attack that I've found, with solid PP and the best overall coverage. In the final slot, Rock Slide is nice as a second STAB, although then you are walled by Steels. EQ hits them, especially Empoleon, while also chasing out Tentacruel, and is my favorite choice. Alternately, you could go with Toxic to catch bulky Waters or Pursuit to hit Bat on its way out. Chesnaught is fairly standard - Spiky Shield is always fun, although I find dual STAB Chesnaught to always be useful.

Last edited:
Something I'd like to see is defensive Cresselia with Reflect

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Moonlight
- Psyshock/Moonblast
-Thunder Wave/Moonblast​
Well the standard things apply to using defensive cress which I'm sure you guys know how to use switch in to sponge hits support team with status etc. I know reflect is an established option on cress for a long while but I'd like to see it being used in ORAS UU as I haven't seen it. My Idea is to use reflect cress to either support other walls that are paired with Cress or help bulky sweepers/wallbreakers.
I'd be glad to get any feedback on this or if you want to brainstorm some things to pair this with n-n

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Double posting, but more options can't hurt.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake / Toxic / Psychic
- Protect / Trick Room / Explosion

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Scald / Dragon Pulse / Shadow Ball

Bronzong and Dragalge may be RU, but they make a solid core for balance, stall, or even Trick Room teams. Bronzong takes ice, ground, and psychic attacks for Dragalge, and Dragalge can check fire types that worry Bronzong. Pair them up with a fairy to deal with Hydreigon and Knock Off spam and you should be good to go. I've suggested a couple of sets, but feel free to use dual screens Bronzong or T-Spikes Dragon Tail Dragalge if you like.

Suggestions made :

~Volbeatdown~ :
  • Pangoro
  • Escavalier
Nightmare Vampire :
  • Celebi+Sharpedo-Mega
Hydratic:
  • Chesnaught+Feraligatr
  • Barbaracle+Celebi
  • Exploud+Entei
Kodi :
  • Flygon
  • Moltres+Shiftry
Joltage :
  • Infernape+Lucario
  • Musharna
daedalus1103 :
  • Suicune+Entei+Raikou
So Dynamic :
  • Rhyperior
Hogg :
  • Entei+Sceptile-Mega
  • Aerodactyl-Mega+Chesnaught
newfren :
  • Reuniclus+Machamp+Krookodile
warzoid :
  • Aerodactyl-Mega+Serperior
  • Bronzong+Dragalge
Celsius :
  • Braviary+Spikes
Orbital :
  • Houndoom-Mega+Toxicroak
Yamster:
  • Cresselia

Notice :

One core per group. Groups have to pick one core and the player who suggested it.
For example if Group A pick Bronzong+Dragalge from warzoid. Group B cant pick Aerodactyl-Mega+Serperior which are nominated by warzoid.
Because warzoid can't build with 2 differents groups.

Post the core and player you choosed here please.
You guys can start building. You have 2 weeks from today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)