OU GSC Turn limit proposal

I believe the actual limit would be the in-cart battery - GSC cartridge batteries are well-known to die after about 10 years, EVEN if the Gameboy is plugged in with an AC adapter, so there's your limit :P

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
well considering you'd have to trade over your team etc. would take up a lil bit of time if ur not just raising it straight up but I'm pretty sure no sleep for 10 years would kill you :^)

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not quite sure how i'd feel about a 300 turn limit, that would just make stalling for a tie incredibly easy. The solution with 50 turns seems pretty reasonable for me. Something has to be done though, i don't think several hundred turns of nothing until either the simulator bug limit is reached or a tourney director comes in or one of the players straight out falls asleep or dies isn't in the interest or any competitive community. In situations like tiba vs me (read once in 6 spls) where one player will be forced to risk losing at some point i really don't get why you just can't make that player go for the unescapeable play instead of stalling till the turn limit. Making official rules for that kind of situation would be pretty arbitrary because of the frequency of such events, taking my battle as an example for future decisions is hopefully not what is ever going to happen either though.
tl;dr i still want my win.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
300 turns until a TD decision is made (with the clear option of carry on) seems reasonable imo, but with the obvious cost of needing a TD on at that time

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Actually, if I may get on my analytical pedestal for a second, about the Tiba v. Beds situation:
  • It was definitely in Beds' favor, but the odds were maybe not as huge as we all thought
  • Tiba's play could have gone in a few directions: all involved Ttar, and all give him better odds than you'd think.
  • The first direction (the straightforward direction that everyone wanted him to go in) was to get Ttar active on Zapdos, continually Roar it out, and subsequently hit it with Crunches on the switch. This way, he keeps Ttar at full health and guarantees at least 3 attempts at a Special fall (barring crits) vs. the Lax, and if he gets just one, he can make a mad dash to KO the Lax with Starmie, Raikou, and Suicune. Starmie & Suicune would need crits, but Raikou could 3HKO and therefore attempt to come in on a predicted rest vs. Suicune or something (although playing for the crit would probably be the safer play from Tiba's perspective). This situation is very hairy for Beds (Tiba's probably actually favored in that situation, as DE won't OHKO Suicune or Starmie at +1, and if he Curses enough to get the OHKOs, Ttar gets extra Crunches), and there's a 48.8% chance of getting at least one Spc. fall from 3 Crunches (as opposed to 36% chance from only 2, and 59% from 4), so... I don't wanna calculate it, I probably can't calculate it, but with this sort of play, Tiba's odds are actually decent.
  • There's also the idea of Roaring the Zapdos out, then repeatedly Pursuiting the Lax to just eliminate the threat altogether. If Beds plays to just keep getting the Zapdos in, his Lax dies and Tiba just straight-up wins. So Beds' play cannot be fixed into just getting Zapdos in every time.
  • Beds needs to go for an EQ at some point instead of letting Lax get Pursuited to death or letting a full-health Ttar get 3 Crunches. These EQs are inevitable, and Tiba's only recourse is to attempt to PP stall Beds out of EQs, and only then play for the win. So stalling actually becomes a legitimate tactic and not just "fukc him he's just extending the game and being a bitch"
  • Because there's a lot of interplay between what moves / directions the players could go in and who gets the win, and because the odds are certainly not guaranteed either way, and because you can't make a sportsmanship DQ or w/e for stalling because it's a legitimate play, Beds v. Tiba could therefore only reasonably be called a tie by a TD/host.
I know you were kidding Beds but that situation was way more complicated than even I initially thought. Some people seemed to be arguing for TDs and hosts to step in and award theoretical wins here (or otherwise mandate plays that would effectively award a win to one side), but unless it's like a 1v1 between a max Attack Bliss vs a min-Attack Bliss, I wouldn't even feel comfortable with my own ability to calculate odds and determine if they're triple-scald-crit-burn level even given an optimal-play assumption and a few days to think about it (it's been almost a week at this point and I've only now fully realized the full complexity of this situation), let alone some TD or host who need not have extensive experience with GSC and has to make the call fairly quickly amidst a bunch of chirping.

Also once in 6 SPLs? A game like this happens every SPL. They're huge outliers too, no game really comes close to 300 turns, let alone surpasses it, except for these sorts of games. I really don't think stalling for 300 turns is very easy unless both players' optimal play is to sit there and not attack, in which case... that's a draw anyway, why not just auto-call it rather than rely on the goodwill of players or TDs' willingness to step in, neither of which gets anything done until turn 700 of a game we knew would go on forever by turn 150?

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
There's always the potential for exploits with a turn limit. The point is to make it high enough where it's no longer a big deal. Personally, I actually don't have a problem with "exploiting" a draw at 300 turns. I figure if you have a winning position, you have to be able to force it within a reasonable time constraint, and 300 turns is well above the limit where a game is considered "too long". The alternatives of granting theoretical wins and mandating specific moves seem way more repugnant to me than imposing pragmatic draws, and the current situation where a game could go for 600+ turns before a TD or host finally comes in and calls it a draw anyway clearly needs to change.
I can see your point somehow, jorgs, I just don't like to have this as a general rule of thumb because every match is a different case. I mean, I'm ok with 300 turns limit if we could make exceptions and shit.
Actually if you recall our match for POWC last year, we were both using stall (maybe mine a bit more active-defense-kinda-thingy), and the match lasted slighty more than 400 turns. You had legit ways to break my cores if you get crits at the right time or if I made bad plays, but I suppose you went out of important PPs at some point, plus I had spikes and you didn't. This is a situation where a forced draw would suck 'cause the match could go either way for more than 300 turns.

so it's curselax/zapdos vs raikou/suicune/starmie/ttar?
Tiba had Skarm as well, but with toxic > curse. Dogs were both restalk.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
so it's curselax/zapdos vs raikou/suicune/starmie/ttar?
Yes. Also Skarm to enable the PP stall in the first place.

EDIT: Crunch/Pursuit/Tbolt/Roar for the Ttar set. No Rock Slide flinch cheese.

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
This is a situation where a forced draw would suck 'cause the match could go either way for more than 300 turns.
Most of the turns came from Starmie trying to stall out Umbreon iirc. That's actually a really good case against the hard turn limit though, as things were clearly happening up to the end, and a solution should be constrained to avoiding calling games like that (as opposed to streamlining draws for games where both players clearly aren't making any progress anytime this millenium).

That said, I don't think an exception is the answer, as that defeats the purpose of a draw rule in the first place; if it can be overridden, players will be forced to play on until the decision anyway. I think it's more a case for the (original) complex criteria for auto-draw.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm a GSC noob but doesn't Toxic Skarm to force Snorlax to Rest > Let Tar in to fish for SDef drops make more sense than going straight for the drops possibly sac'ing TTar in the meantime o.o

i'm still confused, why the hell would that game end in a tie? clearly either side can win. both are on the pp clock.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
The Zapdos was already struggling. It was trying to Sac itself to let CurseLax get the sweep on the team with no CurseSkarm. Obviously the other side wasn't accepting the Sac, what happened instead was that Zapdos jsut kept struggling while the other side infinitely switched (which ends in a loss for the infinite-switch side, and therefore isn't strictly optimal play, but the loss only comes after forever and a half).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Most of the turns came from Starmie trying to stall out Umbreon iirc.
Happened to me just last season I think? Maybe the one before. Didn't immediately go to Umbreon and let Starmie switch out to regular Poison, later spammed Pursuit looking for crits at the right time and ran out of PP without ever finding it. Surprisingly, PSN doesn't supplement your 40 BP attack coming off 218 SpA to outpace Recover. At least it eats most of the PP...

The Zapdos was already struggling. It was trying to Sac itself to let CurseLax get the sweep on the team with no CurseSkarm. Obviously the other side wasn't accepting the Sac, what happened instead was that Zapdos jsut kept struggling while the other side infinitely switched (which ends in a loss for the infinite-switch side, and therefore isn't strictly optimal play, but the loss only comes after forever and a half).
ok if that's the case then clearly it is a tie then? since that's what both players are playing for.

there use to be a propose draw button on netbattle for that reason.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Well it's complicated because Struggle outpaces Leftovers recovery. So in literally a billion years, if all the other player does is switch, Struggle will kill all their mons. But they can't kill the Zapdos because then Snorlax kills in, like, 50 turns, barring crits and spc falls and all that.

The idea is that "propose draw" is not self-policing because some asshole has always wanted to play it out. This has been, like, the 6th 600+ turn GSC game in the past 3 SPLs.

No wonder GSC gets less and less popular.

on topic: I think it's difficult to implement a set of conditions in which a game is considered a draw. Too many variables. It should be both players common sense to see that the game has reached a point where a possible win outcome of either player would take a HUGE amount of time to occur and thus it should end in a draw.
I know in a tournament situation the mentality can be different than in a friendly match, but still.

Xeze said:
I know in a tournament situation the mentality can be different than in a friendly match, but still.
The part that I bolded is the part that's a problem. There is no 'but still' in this situation; it's just a fact that if we're playing in a tournament, it's a completely different beast than just some friendly match between acquaintances or whatever. You can't leave things up to 'social expectations' in a tournament. That punishes everyone, from the people who give in to social pressure and agree to a draw when there might be a chance to somehow squeeze out a win in 30 minutes, to the people who really do play the whole boring thing out. It's best to have concrete rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)