Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 7] - Won by Fire Lord Mako

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 7 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also get put in the UU Hall of Fame. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

This Week's ORAS Selection
Heliolisk
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Braviary
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Virizion
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.
  • Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis ON SUNDAY

nick: Prof Verick (too many avatar references :] )
Gunna use Virizion :]
#################################
Virzion:

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
When i first decided on using Virizion for Research weak, i had a look at its stats, specifically, its attack which was base 90 and base 90 SPATK. So from there i decided i had to pair it with a setup move, so my choices were limited to Calm Mind & Swords Dance. After thinking for a bit, i decided on swords dance, mainly because I wanted a faster easier setup and I thought Swords dance let me do that, because of Virizion's Wopping 129 base SPDEF.
I decided on a Lum Berry because if Virizion gets burnt its pretty much over, after getting that attack drop it'll render it just about useless. Furthermore if I wanted to setup on bulky waters such as Suicune and Vaporeon I'd have to make sure even if they get that 80% 30% chance to burn I'd still be able to sweep.

Not much to say about the EV's, just maximized attack and speed to hit hard and fast.
Same goes for the moveset.. Close combat+Leaf blade for strong stabs, Swords dance to setup and stone edge for coverage which OHKOS crobat after rocks+ some damage

So I got to 1470 which is poor with Virzion, and from my experiences i can confidently say it's not too good in the current meta with crobat and rachi around. Furthermore I think it's pretty weak, I mean it gets access to swords dance but even then it misses out on important kills like rachi, which can easily just go for Twave.
+2 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Jirachi: 304-358 (75.2 - 88.6%)

I ran Stone Edge on my virzion for coverage and to catch unsuspecting crobats that want to switch in on it, but even then, Jolly Virzion doesnt OHKO a standard crobat even after rocks.
All negative things aside, Virizion can deal with stall pretty well with the Alomomola/Blissey core around since after 1 SD

Finally, I paired Virizion with pursuit Aerodactyl (shout-out to LessThanThreeMan for the idea) to get rid of /Do great damage to frail/psychic Pokemons switching out to an Aerodactyl counter. for example, fletchinder gets OHKO'd by pursuit on the switch out, and there is no reason for fletchinder to stay in on an Aerodactyl unless it's last mon. Awesome! Also I paired this up with scarfed Jirachi. (I feel the shame) to be able to deal with the likes of aerodactyl, crobat and just birds in general.

252 Atk Virizion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 204-242 (54.6 - 64.8%)

+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 232 HP / 178+ Def Alomomola: 408-482 (77.1 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 1104-1302 (154.6 - 182.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Illuminate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

#################################
Anyway, I'm switching to Heliolisk and see how that works out for me
New Nick: Prof Varrick
Verick was the wrong spelling fml.

Heliolisk:

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Glare
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
So I used Heliolisk on rain which i thought was pretty clever since it gets the amount lost by life orb from the rain (dry skin) so getting the boost really did well for heliolisk. With Thunder it was able to easily deal with the likes of crocune and vapreon and since it gets dry skin, It can easily switch in onto suicune/vaporeon and force a switch (unless they want to sack) and if they want to go into, something like donphan/Nidoking/Nidoqueen, they all die to a rain-boosted surf.

Went with timid nature to get as much speed as possible and heliolisk hits a very nice speed tier, 348, outspeeding the likes of infernape (which gets OHKO'd by thunder). I went with Hidden power grass purely for swampert and quagsire that switch onto thunder (obviously immune) and I can easily kill them with HP grass.

I wanted glare for things really fast, especially if I don't have any more rain setters with 1 sweeper left. I can just glare with heliolisk and kill with said sweeper.
Hyper voice for very strong stab, paired with Gorebyss to pass a shell smash, giving it double speed and attack and sweep almost anything in its way.

I used heliolisk on a rain team because I figured that thunder and the Dry Skin would do well for rain teams in general since bulky waters are such a problem for it.

Anyway, so far I've seen that heliolisk is actually meh-good, I used life orb with it because I get the Life orb damage back from dry skin (Heals 1/8th if I recall correctly), so basically getting 1.3x boost for free, which at that point i thought 110 BP move+LO boost would be quite strong for heliolisk's poor 109 base SPATK, and it made it qutie strong in my opinion, it can knock out infernape with thunder and deal with things rain in general has problems with, Suicune, for example. :]

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunder vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 244-291 (60.3 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunder vs. 200 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 369-437 (81.8 - 96.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hidden Power Grass vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 328-390 (89.6 - 106.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Grass Knot
- Taunt

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Glare
- Hyper Voice
- Surf

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 152 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Baton Pass

Accelgor @ Damp Rock
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Encore

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Last edited:
Gonna sign up for the first time, sound cool! (Changing my mon again as I personally found it hard to use Helioisk but I will explain all of that in end)

nick: Sacred Grass

Pokemon: Virizion

Ok Ima keep a log of my experience here and my analysis will be in a different post!

Replays from Monday that help show the Mons Power:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-205956091

Notes from Monday:Dry Skin Helioisk is a counter to Rest Talk Calm Mind Cune. Non-Choiced King recks after two Swift Swimmers are gone. Almost Always need to run Mega Pert and Tornadus for Rain. Kinda hard to synergise around him.

Notes From Tuesday with new Account and Team: Virizion is powerful if all its threats are taken out. YOu want to set up on mons like Forrestress.

Replays from Tuesday: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-206077030 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-206084721

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am not a "go with the majority" kind of person but Imma pick Braivary because I got a team already with it.

Alt: Kids In America

EDIT: I am currently rebuilding and taking a step back. I am going to probably change my mon and alt so that is why I crossed it out, :/

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ugh. The reason why I didn't manage to get through the last Research Week is due to me not saving replays, lel.

Anyway, I'll be under the name Gaihla, using Virizion and Heliolisk.

My first impression using these Pokemon? They are good responses to Water-types, most especially Suicune, as what ShadowGuy said.

Count me in
alt: Serperior BaeBlade
mons: Braviary and Heliolisk
Braviary seems interesting but heliolisk seems like a poor man's raikou. The key word is seems and i'll be looking to see how effective is dry skin.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Count me in
alt: Serperior BaeBlade
mons: Braviary and Heliolisk
Braviary seems interesting but heliolisk seems like a poor man's raikou. The key word is seems and i'll be looking to see how effective is dry skin.
hits a good speed tier and learns surf. enjoy.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I've been extremely sick, and I'm sure I have a rough week ahead of me, but like always I'll try to throw in my thoughts on all three pokes.

Will provide an alt soon.

OK so my pokemon were Heliolisk and Braviary. My ranking peaked at the mid-1300s but not because the team sucked but because i kept screwing up too many easy plays
EDIT: The heliolisk review will come a little later, Tbh i had too much fun with Braviary and didn't have time for it lol.
Edit 2: Lel my brother got my PS account banned and it turns out i can't appeal on those lines that someone used my account. I prolly have to wait a few days so the Heliolisk research will not be able to be put up.
Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Defiant

Jolly Nature

- Return

- Brave Bird

- U-turn

- Superpower

Braviary is a complete beast in this tier. It boasts a great attack stat with access to defiant which scares out defoggers and makes Braviary stronger with every intimidate. Although it has mediocre speed, that can be easily remedied by using a choice scarf.

This brings me to my next point; scarfed braviary is better than the substitute+bulk up set in my opinion. Scarf allows Braviary to outspeed and KO many threats. In terms of pure power though Braviary is the 3rd strongest behind Darmanitan and Mienshao.

Overall, Braviary is a UU viable pokemon which is slightly outclassed by scarfshao. But the main reason for using this over scarfshao is that it’s access to defiant works wonders against defoggers like Empoleon and Crobat.

+2 252 Atk Braviary Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 385-454 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 394-464 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I didn't bother with any other calc as Braviary 2hko's all non-resists without a boost and OHKOs some non resists with a boost. I posted these calcs as these are the top defoggers in the tier and Braviary can switch in and OHKO or deal a lot of damage to the switch-in

Pretty much all steel types wall Braviary unless u can predict the switch and use superpower. But even if u can predict correctly Superpower can sometines 2HKO which is not really good enough. Just to name a few: Mega-aggron ,Jirachi, mega-steelix,etc

Serperior @ Lum Berry

Ability: Contrary

Timid Nature

- Leaf Storm

- Dragon Pulse

- Glare

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Swampert @ Swampertite

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Rain Dance

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Defiant

Jolly Nature

- Return

- Brave Bird

- U-turn

- Superpower

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Bold Nature

- Toxic

- Heal Bell

- Protect

- Wish

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def

Relaxed Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Spikes

- Volt Switch

- Gyro Ball

- Rapid Spin

Infernape @ Life Orb

Ability: Iron Fist

Jolly Nature

- Flare Blitz

- U-turn

- Close Combat

- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)