Niche Discovery

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by Eevee General a long time ago on PS / Submissions. He said to start in February but it's almost February.
Niche Discovery
OM Version

What is this?
This is a new project specifically for OM's at this moment. It's goal is to find niches for various Pokemon, looking through many OM's to find one where a Pokemon is viable in. It's to see what Pokemon is viable where, if you want to build a team around it or just think it's an interesting Pokemon. A strange thing is that this project is about all Other Metagames! Though I'd prefer you guys to give priority to existing ladders, as they're more important.

How does it work?
Every week a few Pokemon will be selected. From then on you'll have a week time to post a tier in which the Pokemon is viable in bold and the Pokemon itself. You need to post one example set, which doesn't have to be the only in that tier necessarily but it's helpful to show what it can do. Then you will have to explain in at least three lines what it does in the metagame. You don't have to explain the set per se, if it's clear what it does. Please post normal sets and not some set that is viable but hard to use or very specific. At the end of the week I'll take all viable submissions and put them in the archive, which will eventually result into having a big database of Pokemon and in which Other Metagames they're viable. You can post sets of any metagame, but I'd like to have at least a submission for the permanent ladders if the Pokemon is viable there, though I can't force you to. Please submit for metagames that are coded so it can be used. Only post one tier and set initially, but if a tier hasn't been posted near the end of the week, you can take initiative to post it, as I prefer someone submitting two than us getting one less.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Week 1:

The first Pokemon of this project will be Abomasnow, Steelix, Slurpuff and Shiftry. What niches do they have and in which metagames? Please show what you've got and try to cover as many metagames as possible. Good luck, be creative and I hope to get a lot of responses. Like always good contributions can lead to rewards. Remember, if they're not viable in normal metagames, find another metagame! Notice that Abomasnow's and Steelix' megas are okay to discuss too.​

slurpuff i just know offhand lol.
slurpuff, averagemons
in averagemons, slurpuff is a mediocre-at-worst belly drummer. it is able to take out some threats that are able to stop linoone, like probably gira, which is hit SE by play rough. it also outspeeds just about verything save for priority in the meta. in addition, it can run 2-move coverage hitting everything legal at least neutral, in fairy/fighting, and can recover with drain punch.
this is my set:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 212HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Last edited:
Slurpuff actually rather viable in the lower usage based tiers, but as far as other metagames go the belly drum set is actually pretty terrifying in tiershift as at +10 to everything the belly drum power is respectable, and 82 speed the unburden boost lets it just blow past scarfers, most notably the +10 lets it get past scarf 110s while adamant which is a huge jump in viability.

Sample set:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch/flamethrower
- Frustration

Drain punch lets you get past most steels, but flamethrower lets you guarunteed beat ferrothorn, be sure to use naive nature if you go for flamethrower. Flamethrower can't beat tran though, so do be careful. Before trying to set up with this set be sure to eliminate any priority users that would rain on your parade such as scizor, talonflame, and other non sucker punch reliant mons, as with the resist it can easily take a sucker from bisharp if fairly healthy (252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 103-121 (33.7 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Overall a solid cleaner that greatly appreciates hazard support and revenge priority users being eliminated before starting its sweep.

Last edited:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Thief

Slurpuff doesn't gain too much from Stat Switch per set to its Stats, but it takes advantage of the fact that there are no good Physical walls or rather, all good Physical walls in the tier fall prey to its great coverage. Espeon is a wonderful Teammate, providing Screens, sub-optimal Wish and uninvested -Speed Baton Pass.

The same set, surprisingly, is effective in Averagemons. Maybe a little less effective due to Quagsire and Talonflame. Not that a little support can't handle.

Edit: Ninjas, Ninjas everywhere.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'll edit this in later, but I'm also doing Slurpuff in Average mons. However, I'm doing CM Puff because I like it better.

also doing Shiftry for VoltTurnMayham

EDIT:

Slurpuff @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Surf / Flamethrower

This set is really simple. Tank hits, CM, Rest to heal and get your unburden. You can Rest afterwards too if you're opponent can't break you and you need the recovery (or status removal). EVs are to maximize bulk while allowing you to outspeed +1 speed boosting nature after Unburden. Surf and Flamethrower is choosing between hitting Fire-types or Steel-types. I'd go for Surf, as most Steel-types are hit neutrally by Surf (thus not liking taking boosted surfs) while most Fire-types resist Fire.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fake Out
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off / Whirlwind

This is meant to be ran on a sun team. It gives Sun a really fast fake outer that can also Defog. Leaf Storm is your strongest move and fits well in the meta of hit-and-run. Knock Off fucks with items, hits special walls, and gives a semi-answer to Probopass. Used over Mew in Sun due to the much higher speed (From what I've used there's too many base 100 mons as it is)

Last edited:
Pshh and people say that Grass has no defoggers

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Fake Out / Seed Bomb

For those of you who've tried a Grass Monotype, you'll find it lacking compared to others. Often times, you'll find yourself wishing you had a Defogger, and something that can stop dedicated leads such as Smeargle. Shiftry tries to fill these 2 roles. Jolly is chosen to outspeed everything it can since it's not going to live multiple hits due to its frailty. LO is standard. Early Bird is an interesting choice here. Its Grass typing makes it immune to Spore, and Sleep Powder, but Smeargles tend to run Dark Void. Combined with Fake Out, you can generally kill the Smeargle before it Baton Pass its boosts. Knock Off removes precious Eviolites and Lefties while dealing a good amount of damage. Sucker Punch revenge kills weakened Pokemon (namely Volcarona). Seed Bomb is another option instead of Fake Out if you struggle with Water / Ground types (lol). Leaf Storm's bad since the -2 gives the opposing team a lot of set up opportunities (thinking of BD Azumarill)

Overall, Shiftry's a lacking Pokemon for many reasons. However, it has its niches as an anti-lead and sketchy Defogger.

Last edited:

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Tier shift Shiftry is looking shifty.

Shiftry @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

I actually used this for a bit in tier shift, it's an offensive support mon I guess. Originally I thought it would be worth a spin purely because of defog and an interesting typing. 100/110/70/100/70/90 after the RU boost is not too bad but does limit its potential switch in opportunities. Once its in it can clear hazards or start annoying the opponent with sub seed and knock off. This can set up on status moves/forced switches and begin to wear down the oppositions team. Chlorophyll is chosen on the off chance you run into a sun team, it outspeeds modest venu/victreebel so that's something. Overall its pretty niche and not that good so use at your own risk.

Other options would be an sd lo set with sucker punch or a mixed chlorophyll sweeper for sun but I haven't tried them.

Nice thread Snaq!

None of these Pokemon are that amazing in BH, but this is an okay set:

Steelix-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SpD
Brave Nature
- Nuzzle / Sacred Fire
- U-turn
- Icicle Crash
- Gear Grind

Mega Steelix can take the place of Regirock if you want to deal with other -ates better. It can also fulfill the general duties of an AV Regenerator user, spreading status and gaining momentum.

Nuzzle or Sacred Fire is for general annoyance, U-turn is used over Volt Switch so Chansey can't switch in and block your momentum, Icicle Crash is for Mega Rayquaza, Gear Grind is for Mega Diancie and Kyurems. Metal Burst is another moveset option if you want to get some surprise KOs.

Unfortunately, though, it needs to run this EV spread and nature to OHKO Mega Rayquaza, sacrificing a great deal of special bulk:

88+ Atk Mega Steelix Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Rayquaza: 352-416 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Overall, this doesn't fit well on some teams because of its unfortunate Ground, Fire, and Water weaknesses, but its generally better defensive typing means it has a niche over Regirock.

edit: jrm115 a lot of things resist Fairy/Fighting coverage, actually, though with Normal as well only Ghost/Poison, Ghost/Fire, and Ghost/Steel do.

Last edited:
Tier Shift:
Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

They call me the balance breaker. On a serious note, this thing is a monster in tier shift due to how few things can actually switch in safely to it at +2. After using this monster in xy ts, it was definitely a terrific win condition against tons of teams. Only real flaw is that it doesn't do very well vs offense and that it can't switch into mola.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
AAA shit-tree isn't so shit-y
(I'm not a rapper tho don't judge me)

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptabillity
EVs: 66 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Rash Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Pursuit / Knock Off

Shiftry is actually really good with adapt, as its the only defogger that can threaten competitive latias and defiant metagross(which MEVos to tough claws, which with meteor mash can 2HKO skarm with adamant nature, or OHKO with tpunch- what you'd expect from a usual broken Kl4ng made set) with an OHKO reliably. And, it's the only Grass type iirc that can beat Celebi easily with an OHKO every time, not sure if there are other decent ones, feel free to correct me if wrong. If Zapdos tries to switch in on leaf storm-

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+ 25% due to SR
66 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 185-218 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
=
Easy lured OHKO

Now obviously, that's just the calm sdef set, but since it hits on both sides its usually the same damage output regardless of spread. You can also use Knock Off to ensure the KO.

This set also beats the stupid spikes/sr/taunt/knock off or superpower set that deo-s just loves to run with moldy. The speed is to beat 20 ev speed creeping zapdos and 252 in spa, and the rest in atk. Rash nature to lure and KO zapdos like described above.

With the rare amount of reliable offensive defoggers in the tier, I find this to be one amazing pokemon in the tier. Also this STAB combo + adapt is really strong, especially with rash 252 Leaf storm coming off of a huge SpA. It honestly makes stall teams cry at times, and hazard based teams cry as well.

Hold up, can we do tiers that don't have ladders? Because Slurpuff is pretty viable in Mergemons 2.0...

Edit:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch / Superpower
- Knock Off

Slurpuff may not get much from Malamar and Aromatisse in Mergemons 2.0, but it gets one major coverage tool in Knock Off. Strengthening its Dark-type coverage by more than 50% works wonders for Slurpuff as a BD sweeper. Superpower is also an option, to just wreck Steels at the cost of -1 Atk and Def.

Last edited:
It's niche, but averagemons shiftry:

Shiftry @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Defog

This set is basically made to be taken advantage of in a core. It provides defog support, which allows for flying types easier, and resists Koff, which makes it pair well with stuff like Aegiblade. The biggest issue it has making a niche for itself is that Breloom, one of the best grass types in the tier, beats it pretty easily due to it's fighting type. Despite that, it's capable of walling a lot of threats, and seems like a decent pokemon. The fighting weakness is unfortunate though.

Snaquaza

KACAW
Two of these Pokemon are legal and good in Mediocremons! Though it hasn't been active in ORAS, it's was pretty popular in XY so I'll tell a bit about that and mix in ORAS changes.

Abomasnow @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake / HP Fire

This set is so great in this metagame. I don't remember the exist EV's, so you can edit them to speed creep or 2HKO stuff you want, but it's been too long for me to know the threads you need to outspeed or KO (and different teams will need different spreads anyway). Anyways, Abomasnow has some of the highest stats of the meta with its only lackluster stat being Speed. It's offenses also both break 90, so it's quite strong. It's bulk is pretty good as well, but it's typing is horrible so it's better utilized in an offensive way. Luckily, it can take a hit while breaking walls when it doesn't hit it Super Effectively. Otherwise, it's just really strong and breaks down a lot of stuff in this metagame. Priority Ice is great as well, especially when you're as strong as this. In the past Soundproof Abomasnow has been used to counter Chatot, but now it runs Heat Wave. You can still run it to check with Ice Shard, but it's way less reliable, and Blizzard adds some strong mixed factor into this set. Finally it has great and strong STAB's, able to hit lots of the metagame and good coverage. Earthquake is usually the best for Fire and Steel types, but HP Fire can be used if Ferroseed is a threat to your team. It also goes past the common core on Semi-Stall teams of Xatu + Quagsire + Klefki + Grass type, as it hits all of them super effectively.

252+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chatot: 276-328 (94.1 - 111.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 251-296 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 190-224 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swanna: 321-380 (110.3 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant / Lonely Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return / Energy Ball

Again, I don't know the best EV's, but you don't need any speed to outspeed all the unboosted threads in the metagame at +2. You can run some speed to outspeed all scarfers, but priority is probably the bigger worry of Slurpuff. There aren't that many good scarfers anyway. This set is fairly simple, it launches Belly Drum on something that can't do over 75% or cripple it and it'll be at +6. Once it's at +6 few things can stop it, with your best bets probably being priority users, Golbat, Nidoqueen and Quagsire. Play Rough is a good STAB and Drain Punch is a great new coverage move for it that recovers health you lost and adds coverage for steel types. Return is for general coverage and Hidden Power Grass to lure Quagsire and 2HKO. Slurpuff can also run a slower Calm Mind set and a cool defensive set, but this is definitely the more common and more threatening set in the metagame. Be sure to be prepared!

We might ban it, but haven't had enough playtesting so far.

Last edited:
Slurpuff got nifty in Hidden Type with the coming of ORAS, gaining Drain Punch. Not much else, but that's OK, in Hidden Type it doesn't need much else -Dark and Steel are extremely popular types, so much so that you can often Drain Punch into Pokemon that would normally resist it and have a reasonable expectation that it will be a neutral hit. Meanwhile, Pokemon that add Ghost typing are generally obvious, and generally don't want to be hit by Play Rough, certainly not at +6 -it's a OHKO on Eviolite Chansey, and Mega Tyranitar (Usually Ghost, but sometimes Flying) can only really pray for Play Rough to miss if Slurpuff is on the rampage. Dragon is another popular type to add to Pokemon, including the likes of Clefable, Skarmory, and Azumarill, so Play Rough isn't simply "your other, stronger STAB", it's legitimately murderous on much of the tier.

Of course, Slurpuff needs to get a shot at Belly Drum, and even though Fairy/Fighting is an excellent offensive combination with few things that wall it (Gengar is one of the only things that normally does, and it defaults to adding Dark in Hidden Type, ruining its resistance) it's a surprisingly iffy combination defensively, having all the weaknesses of both types and no particularly complimentary aspect, which makes it difficult to switch in and start the rampage -you have to select with care. Furthermore, even though most Skarmory are incapable of walling Belly Drum Slurpuff (I have never seen Ghost Skarmory, personally, nor Poison Skarmory, nor Bug Skarmory, and probably never will see any of those save perhaps Ghost), it's probably running Sturdy and can Whirlwind you out, Drill Peck you for severe damage, or spring a surprise Counter for a clean OHKO, so you need to do something to break its Sturdy before you try to bring in Slurpuff against a team carrying Skarmory. Ferrothorn is also worth watching out for -it often runs Ghost typing, in which case you're not Drain Punching through it, and it can either cleanly destroy you with Gyro Ball, or toss Leech Seed and wait you out, maybe slip in Stealth Rocks.

Oddly enough, Slurpuff actually gets Heal Bell/Aromatherapy (Seriously, both of them), so Slurpuff can also laugh off Burns/Toxic if you like, potentially helping the team in the deal, or you could "all-in" and run Facade as a way to push monstrous damage through when hit with one of those -of course then it becomes trivial for a Ghost to wall you, so Heal Bell might be the better option. In any event, Slurpuff can push past even fairly competent Stall Pokemon due to Heal Bell or Facade, which is quite nice. Alternatively, if you're worried about Ghosts (Including the common Ghost Ferrothorn), you can run Thief -this is risky, because Unburden deactivates if you gain a new item, and there's no guarantee that you'll steal a consumable item, but it can be worth considering just to prevent the rampage from losing all its momentum, and it may surprise the opponent.

A key advantage Slurpuff's offense has is that a lot of Pokemon in Hidden Type select a type that resists Stealth Rock, which means Fighting, Ground, or Steel -Ground is the only one neutral to both Fighting and Fairy, and Ground is honestly an iffy type for most Pokemon, defensively. (Two resistance, one of which is to Poison, one immunity, and three weaknesses, two of which are to excellent types) So it's surprisingly rare for anything on the enemy team to actually resist-or-better the two types paired together. This makes it very difficult for most teams to actually stop the rampage once it gets going without leaning on priority, and priority is a lot less popular in Hidden Type than in a lot of metas, perhaps in part because double weaknesses almost never make it on a team to be punished by priority. (Crawdaunt being a notable exception to both ends [no Fairy priority, though, unless you count Sylveon Quick Attacking], but Aqua Jet is 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-161 (42.4 - 50.6%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO, which requires Sitrus Belly Drum Slurpuff suffers other damage before it will be a KO -and most Crawdaunt are running Fighting, and therefore Drain Punch will substantially heal Slurpuff)

Slurpuff appreciates support, such as hazards to break Sashes and Sturdy, but is not difficult to fit into a straight offense team so long as you maintain awareness that Slurpuff needs to be switched in on something it is reasonably safe from (Beware Gyro Ball in particular), that you keep in mind what Pokemon on the enemy team can potentially laugh at its attacks, and you are ready to pave the way in terms of breaking Skarmory's Sturdy and similar. The trickiest thing is accounting for those Pokemon that might run Ghost, but not necessarily -Ferrothorn runs Ghost, but more often it runs Water, and it can be easy to be lulled into thinking every Ferrothorn is HP for you if you keep encountering these Water-typed Ferrothorn. A wasted Drain Punch can be the end of the rampage... and if that's immediately after you Belly Drummed? Yeah, bad outcome. Otherwise though, Slurpuff is certainly not a Stall team's preference, except perhaps as an ace-in-the-hole stallbreaker, but doesn't have particularly demanding team construction requirements.

Notable threats include...

-Skarmory, for reasons previously described.

-Ferrothorn, specifically Ghost typed, as previously described.

-Fire or Poison typed Clefable, particularly if they're Unaware. (Poison Clefable is not something I've seen, but Fire is something I have fought and run, and is fairly effective) They also resist Thief, bonus points.

-Togekiss in general. Fire type Togekiss will doubly resist Drain Punch and resist Play Rough and strike back with super effective Air Slashes or Dazzling Gleams, and Steel type Togekiss will still resist Drain Punch too. Not only that, but even Thief is ineffective against them all. If you see a Togekiss, take it out or severely weaken it before kicking off the rampage.

-Chandelure. It's most common addition is Grass, and +6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 252-297 (96.5 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO means that with even relatively modest bulk Chandelure can potentially reliably survive and hit back for damage -and its damage is excellent, of course.

-Fast Scarfers. Ideally you will have scouted them out, taken them down, or at least Knock Offed their Scarf. If it's above around 100 Speed and is a credible Scarfer, watch it -and beware lower Speeds if you're running less than max Speed EVs, of course.

-Oddly enough, Toxicroak. It almost always runs Dark, but a combination of Fake Out+Bullet Punch does decent enough damage, and with Poison Touch there's good odds you'll end up Poisoned. It also a credible Sasher, so if you don't have hazards up it may simply Fake Out, and then Poison Jab for a KO. (252+ Atk Toxicroak Poison Jab vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 284-336 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO. Even if you heal to full by Drain Punching it, it may still KO you with the Poison Jab, and that will have been three rolls at trying to Poison you if it's running Poison Touch)

---

Pretend I had a good closing statement.

I can't recall playing an OM in which I saw a lot of evidence that the other three were good, and I know haven't used them myself, so I'll be skipping the rest of this round, alas.

EDIT: At request

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell/Facade/Thief
- Belly Drum

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant / Lonely Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return / Hidden Power Grass

Again, I don't know the best EV's, but you don't need any speed to outspeed all the unboosted threads in the metagame at +2. You can run some speed to outspeed all scarfers, but priority is probably the bigger worry of Slurpuff. There aren't that many good scarfers anyway. This set is fairly simple, it launches Belly Drum on something that can't do over 75% or cripple it and it'll be at +6. Once it's at +6 few things can stop it, with your best bets probably being priority users, Golbat, Nidoqueen and Quagsire. Play Rough is a good STAB and Drain Punch is a great new coverage move for it that recovers health you lost and adds coverage for steel types. Return is for general coverage and Hidden Power Grass to lure Quagsire and 2HKO. Slurpuff can also run a slower Calm Mind set and a cool defensive set, but this is definitely the more common and more threatening set in the metagame. Be sure to be prepared!

We might ban it, but haven't had enough playtesting so far.
Since Slurpuff learns Energy Ball naturally, you should slash that with Return instead of HP! But this little devil is a pain to deal with. Golbat can stomach one attack at +6 I think and Haze/WW it, but you better have rocks off the field first.

This is shiftry for AAA

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature or Hasty Nature (put some 4 spA evs instead of spD or adjust according to needs)
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade/ Leaf Storm (only with hasty)

With bisharp gone shiftry's one of the few dark types with SD+Sucker Punch. Why shiftry over the other ones? It has grass typing and better speed than cacturne, tbh i like zoroark better for this role but shiftry has a nice little niche over it, it can beat some of the best walls in the game thanks to it's STAB. Now thanks to 100 attack shiftry doesn't hit that hard without a swords dance, but it's definitely worth using thanks to the reasons i mentioned before. After a single swords dance it can start to do some serious work, i'll post a wall of calcs
Here's some of the defensive terrors it beats at +2 thanks to its STABs
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 582-686 (131 - 154.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 499-588 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 364-432 (86.6 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO(after intimidate)
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 299-354 (77.8 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(after intimidate)

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 328-390 (90.1 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 164-194 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 208-250 (57.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 226-268 (70.4 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It can set up on regi if regi switches in after shiftry killed something, but it can't switch in and set up on regi.

Here's how it does without the +2
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
more at risk for the scald burn, but without it suicune is beaten

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 291-348 (65.5 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 198-234 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO (second turn)
0 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shiftry: 154-182 (47.9 - 56.6%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO
still beats cress.

As for hippo, it can just set up swords dance on it while it toxics.

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 200-237 (52 - 61.7%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zapdos can't switch in, if it's intimidate then swords dance predicting a switch and knock off next turn will do enough to ko if rocks are up (assuming it's standard ou defensive zapdos from the calc, which shiftry outspeeds). But staying in vs zapdos is risky and should be avoided imo.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 263-309 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it can do some good damage to fully defensive skarm before it's whirlwinded out/killed with brave bird thanks to its paper thin defenses

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 283-335 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 283-335 (104.4 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
the gale wings variants however lose to it unless mindgamed into using up sucker punch pp

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Braviary: 476-562 (139.5 - 164.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
With jolly nature it can outspeed and ohko max speed adamant braviary, but loses to honchkrow and staraptor. luckily braviary and skarm are the most common.
[/here]

Basically just having access to swords dance and sucker punch alone gives it a ton of use vs a lot of aaa teams and it's STABs allow it to beat a lot of the more defensive threats.

What beats it?
Like i said, gale wings staraptor and honchkrow + all -ate espeed users can beat it (since it's weak to both fairy and ice). Also, since it's largely reliant on sucker punch vs faster teams it can be played around. I don't know stall well enough to know what beats it in stall, but i'm sure a few things do. Off the top of my head mandibuzz comes to mind as it resists both STAB and has great bulk.

edit- i actually just saw monte's post and added hasty+leaf storm because it can beat the physically defensive mons that are weak to grass like suicune, hippo and regi

Last edited:
Why use Seed Bomb when Leaf Blade is better in every way on Shiftry?

I checked, it does learn it via Nuzleaf's levelup moves, or is there something I'm missing? Is it that important to avoid contact?

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Why use Seed Bomb when Leaf Blade is better in every way on Shiftry?

I checked, it does learn it via Nuzleaf's levelup moves, or is there something I'm missing? Is it that important to avoid contact?
Seed bomb has higher base power...

Edit: nvm seed bomb is 80 leaf blade is 90

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)