UU Hippowdon

QC: hikari / dodmen / IronBullet93
GP: P Squared / The Dutch Plumberjack
Overview
########

Hippowdon is one of UU's best physical walls. It acts as a great check to a multitude of offensive threats, such as Darmanitan and Mega Beedrill. Thanks to its great bulk, it's also a good user of Stealth Rock. Hippowdon also resists Stealth Rock, so it's not worn down too easily by entry hazards, and it has reliable recovery in Slack Off. However, its low Speed can be a problem, as it is easily outpaced by many Pokemon.

Physical Wall
########
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Fang / Whirlwind / Toxic
ability: Sand Stream
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Hippowdon's great bulk makes it a great user of Stealth Rock, as it can come in many times in a match to set it up. Slack Off is a must on Hippowdon, keeping it healthy so that it can consistently switch in on Pokemon that it walls. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move that can hit surprisingly hard coming off Hippowdon's decent Attack stat even without investment. Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon and Levitate users, which are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Hydreigon, while also catching Grass-types on the switch. Whirlwind phazes sweepers that try to use Hippowdon as setup bait. Toxic is another option to rack up residual damage in tandem with sandstorm damage. You can also opt to run Rock Slide to hit Rotom-H, but it is generally not worth it, as Rotom-H can easily cripple Hippowdon with either Trick or Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximize Hippowdon's good physical bulk. Sand Stream allows Hippowdon to wear down the opponent's Pokemon while also weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Morning Sun. Sandstorm damage can also be combined with Toxic damage and entry hazards to whittle down at the foe's HP. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of Sand Stream are not beneficial to the rest of your team. Leftovers gives Hippowdon passive recovery, allowing it to avoid possible 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to wear down the opponent's Pokemon. Use Hippowdon to wear down opposing Pokemon through the combination of Toxic and sandstorm damage. Slack Off should be used whenever Hippowdon is low on health to keep it healthy enough to check physical attackers multiple times throughout the game. Even though Hippowdon is a very sturdy physical wall, it does not enjoy taking repeated strong neutral hits such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, so know its limits.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon likes teammates that can take care of strong special attackers. It also enjoys cleric support, as it has no way of getting rid of crippling status effects such as poison and burn. This makes Blissey a very good partner. Hippowdon also appreciates teammates that can switch into Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks repeatedly, such as Tentacruel, which can also spin away entry hazards. Flying-type Pokemon such as Crobat are also good teammates, as Hippowdon can easily tank the Rock- and Electric-type moves that they are weak to. However, they share an Ice-type weakness, so watch out for Pokemon that carry Ice-type coverage moves. Chesnaught and Roserade are also great partners for Hippowdon. Chesnaught can set up Spikes, while Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, forming a great entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon. Both of them can also repeatedly take Grass- and Water-type attacks for Hippowdon, but they all must be wary of Ice-type moves.

Special Wall
########
name: Special Wall
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its reliable recovery in Slack Off and its good natural bulk. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy throughout the match. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that can do decent damage even without Attack investment, while Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon such as Crobat, as well as Hydreigon and Roserade. Whirlwind racks up residual damage if entry hazards are up and phazes setup sweepers. Toxic can be used with Sand Stream to wear down bulky walls such as Porygon2. Rock Slide is another option to hit Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl; however, Ice Fang does the same thing while also hitting Grass-types on the switch.

Set Details
========

252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Hippowdon's special bulk. Leftovers is the best item, as it gives Hippowdon passive recovery, stopping it from being worn down too easily. Sand Stream is the preferred ability to wear down opposing Pokemon, as well as weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Moonlight. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of sandstorm are detrimental to your team.

Usage Tips
========

Use Hippowdon's good bulk to set up Stealth Rock throughout the match. Try to keep Hippowdon healthy at all times by using Slack Off whenever it's health gets low, or else it will be prone to being worn down. Hippowdon is great at tanking hits, so use it to wear down the opposing team through residual damage. Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers, such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope to switch into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the Special Defense EVs, Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers, such as Life Orb Mienshao, due to its lack of Defense investment. Keep in mind that even if Hippowdon is running a specially defensive spread, it still has trouble switching in on very powerful special wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Chandelure.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune can take Water- and Ice-type attacks for Hippowdon. Stoutland appreciates sand support, which turns it into a powerful and fast physical attacker. Chesnaught forms an entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon, as well as being able to tank Water- and Grass-type attacks. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, while also taking Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Hippodown. However, both Chesnaught and Roserade share an Ice weakness with Hippowdon, so you must be wary of Ice-type attacks.

Other Options
########

Smooth Rock can be used over Leftovers, giving Stoutland more time under the sand to attack. Stone Edge does more damage to Flying-type Pokemon, and it will not miss against Mega Pidgeot due to No Guard. Curse allows Hippowdon to work as a decent win condition.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Most Water-types, such as Mega Blastoise and Suicune, can easily force out Hippowdon with their respective STAB moves, while Hippowdon cannot do anything back in return. However, Mega Blastoise must be wary of being crippled by Toxic.

**Grass-types**: Common Grass-types such as Shaymin can easily switch in on Hippowdon and retaliate with their STAB moves. Shaymin doesn't care about Toxic, due to Natural Cure, and can OHKO back with Seed Flare.

**Status**: Hippowdon can be worn down by Toxic to the point that a powerful physical attacker can muscle past it.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Hippowdon usually relies on Earthquake to beat its targets, and this can sometimes give Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot, Hydreigon, and Tornadus free switches. Most of them do not fear a non-STAB Rock Slide or Ice Fang and can easily threaten Hippowdon back with their respective STAB moves.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but you misspelled Hippowdon* and I think you might want to mention that even though Hippowdon is one of the sturdier walls in the tier, even physically defensive sets hate repeatedly switching in to take some of the more potent neutral moves in the tier, such as Honchkrow's Brave Bird, Darmanitan's Flare Blitz and Mienshao's High Jump Kick. While they all aren't able to outright 2HKO Hippo (unless Reckless LO Shao/LO Darmanitan), they can do a serious chunk of damage to it, forcing it to either Slack Off immediately or succumb to offensive pressure.

Also tbh this might be more up to QC than it is to me but I think you should move Ice Fang from OO and exchange it with where you've put Rock Slide in on your movesets. The reason I suggest this is because not only is having coverage against Zygarde important (you don't beat it 1v1 but you at least can keep SubCoil sets from fully shutting you down, since Dragon Tail outpaces Whirlwind) but it hits literally all the same targets Rock Slide covers, while dealing more damage to switch-ins such as Flygon Hydreigon and Grass-types. The decreased damage output far as I know isn't significant since Hippo is outsped by nearly everything anyway, and your accuracy is slightly more reliable with Ice Fang. Far as I know, Rock Slide really helps you cover only Rotom-H, most of whom can cripple you with Will-O-Wisp or Trick if you don't hit them straight on the switch-in.

You also might want to add Flying types/Levitators to Checks and Counters, since Hippowdon typically relies on Earthquake to beat most targets, and that this often gives them a free turn to switch in, and that most of them can easily survive an un-STAB Rock Slide/Ice Fang and threaten Hippo, the most it can do back being either switching out or giving the opponent a free turn while trying to use Whirlwind. Of course they have to be wary of switching into a Toxic (unless they're Crobat, who kinda loses to you if you can predict it to Roost). Stuff like Tornadus, Hydreigon, Noivern (if phys. def Hippo), Azelf, Rotom-H, and Pidgeot-Mega are good examples of Pokemon who'd fit in this category.

In Team Options, among other things you might want to include Pokemon like Chesnaught and Roserade, as both of them can lay Spikes (and Toxic Spikes in Roserade's case) to complement Hippowdon's access to Stealth Rock and form a hazard-stacking core. Both of them also take Water- and Grass-moves for Hippo, though all have to be wary of Ice.

Not QC but you misspelled Hippowdon* and I think you might want to mention that even though Hippowdon is one of the sturdier walls in the tier, even physically defensive sets hate repeatedly switching in to take some of the more potent neutral moves in the tier, such as Honchkrow's Brave Bird, Darmanitan's Flare Blitz and Mienshao's High Jump Kick. While they all aren't able to outright 2HKO Hippo (unless Reckless LO Shao/LO Darmanitan), they can do a serious chunk of damage to it, forcing it to either Slack Off immediately or succumb to offensive pressure.

Also tbh this might be more up to QC than it is to me but I think you should move Ice Fang from OO and exchange it with where you've put Rock Slide in on your movesets. The reason I suggest this is because not only is having coverage against Zygarde important (you don't beat it 1v1 but you at least can keep SubCoil sets from fully shutting you down, since Dragon Tail outpaces Whirlwind) but it hits literally all the same targets Rock Slide covers, while dealing more damage to switch-ins such as Flygon Hydreigon and Grass-types. The decreased damage output far as I know isn't significant since Hippo is outsped by nearly everything anyway, and your accuracy is slightly more reliable with Ice Fang. Far as I know, Rock Slide really helps you cover only Rotom-H, most of whom can cripple you with Will-O-Wisp or Trick if you don't hit them straight on the switch-in.

You also might want to add Flying types/Levitators to Checks and Counters, since Hippowdon typically relies on Earthquake to beat most targets, and that this often gives them a free turn to switch in, and that most of them can easily survive an un-STAB Rock Slide/Ice Fang and threaten Hippo, the most it can do back being either switching out or giving the opponent a free turn while trying to use Whirlwind. Of course they have to be wary of switching into a Toxic (unless they're Crobat, who kinda loses to you if you can predict it to Roost). Stuff like Tornadus, Hydreigon, Noivern (if phys. def Hippo), Azelf, Rotom-H, and Pidgeot-Mega are good examples of Pokemon who'd fit in this category.

In Team Options, among other things you might want to include Pokemon like Chesnaught and Roserade, as both of them can lay Spikes (and Toxic Spikes in Roserade's case) to complement Hippowdon's access to Stealth Rock and form a hazard-stacking core. Both of them also take Water- and Grass-moves for Hippo, though all have to be wary of Ice.
lol I mispelled hippowdon thanks for the catch!
Will implement all your other suggestions right now, thanks :]

Afaik, if a Pokemon has two abilities and both are ~equally viable, you don't need to put the ability tag (you can just mention each in set details).

Will check the rest later, prolly edit this post.

Afaik, if a Pokemon has two abilities and both are ~equally viable, you don't need to put the ability tag (you can just mention each in set details).

Will check the rest later, prolly edit this post.
Ok, I'll do that
Everything has been updated.

**Grass-types** Common grass-types like Celebi and Roserade can easily switch in on Hippowdon and retaliate with their STAB moves.
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Roserade: 168-198 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Roserade doesn't like Earthquake. Shaymin would probably a better example in this case.

Mention Stone Edge in OO, it does much more damage to Flying-type Pokemon and the fact it doesn't miss against Pidgeot is nice. Also mention Curse Hippo in OO, it actually is a decent win condition.

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Roserade: 168-198 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Roserade doesn't like Earthquake. Shaymin would probably a better example in this case.

Mention Stone Edge in OO, it does much more damage to Flying-type Pokemon and the fact it doesn't miss against Pidgeot is nice. Also mention Curse Hippo in OO, it actually is a decent win condition.
okay!
everything is updated :]

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks good, I'm not QC obviously so just going to state some things that I thought could use changing so that it would hopefully not be put in the write up, as dodmen said, removed the Ziggy mentions. Also on the first set you should list other reasons than "hits Flying-types that are immune to Earthquake" for Ice Fang as Rock Slide would do that as well as hitting Rotom-H as you mentioned in the Moves section so people could probably think "Oh Rock Slide would probably be a better option" and such which would suck especially since CSB gave you the reasons that should have been implemented. "Smooth Rock can also be used over Leftovers, giving teammates such as Stoutland more time under the sand to attack" that statement made it sound like there were more things that could have been given time to abuse sand, which I don't think there are, although someone could correct me if I am wrong. I would mention it's typing somewhere in the overview, that section seems pretty small for what it is. I would say "Shaymin OHKOs with Seed Flare" in the C&C section as it does and saying "Shaymin does a lot of damage with Seed Flare" might give newer players some small hope of survival, although should be noted without a LO or Specs, Sp.D Hippo doesn't get straight up OHKO'd. When mentioning how Sand Stream makes recovery moves such as Moonlight recover less for the opponent, you should be more specific since some people could easily misinterpret it as saying all recovery moves are effected by Sand Stream. On the Team Options section on the first set you should mention that Flying-types are also weak to Ice albeit Hippowdon resisting both of Flying-type's other weaknesses.

Looks good, I'm not QC obviously so just going to state some things that I thought could use changing so that it would hopefully not be put in the write up, as dodmen said, removed the Ziggy mentions. Also on the first set you should list other reasons than "hits Flying-types that are immune to Earthquake" for Ice Fang as Rock Slide would do that as well as hitting Rotom-H as you mentioned in the Moves section so people could probably think "Oh Rock Slide would probably be a better option" and such which would suck especially since CSB gave you the reasons that should have been implemented. "Smooth Rock can also be used over Leftovers, giving teammates such as Stoutland more time under the sand to attack" that statement made it sound like there were more things that could have been given time to abuse sand, which I don't think there are, although someone could correct me if I am wrong. I would mention it's typing somewhere in the overview, that section seems pretty small for what it is. I would say "Shaymin OHKOs with Seed Flare" in the C&C section as it does and saying "Shaymin does a lot of damage with Seed Flare" might give newer players some small hope of survival, although should be noted without a LO or Specs, Sp.D Hippo doesn't get straight up OHKO'd. When mentioning how Sand Stream makes recovery moves such as Moonlight recover less for the opponent, you should be more specific since some people could easily misinterpret it as saying all recovery moves are effected by Sand Stream. On the Team Options section on the first set you should mention that Flying-types are also weak to Ice albeit Hippowdon resisting both of Flying-type's other weaknesses.
k I'll do this when I get home

Mention Salamence as a target for Ice Fang for the physically defensive set, as balanced and more defensive builds appreciate a physical wall that can handle Dragon Dance Salamence without losing to Fire Blast variants.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You need to state the advantages of specially defensive Hippo to show why it's a viable option over the physically defensive standard. Mention how this set can check special attackers like Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Amph, Chandelure, Mixnape, even Mega Pidgeot - stuff that the physical set has no hope of switching into. State how this makes Hippo a great mixed tank, but loses the capability to hard counter very powerful physical attackers due to the lack of investment on the physical side. Will give you a check after the above is implemented :)

You need to state the advantages of specially defensive Hippo to show why it's a viable option over the physically defensive standard. Mention how this set can check special attackers like Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Amph, Chandelure, Mixnape, even Mega Pidgeot - stuff that the physical set has no hope of switching into. State how this makes Hippo a great mixed tank, but loses the capability to hard counter very powerful physical attackers due to the lack of investment on the physical side. Will give you a check after the above is implemented :)
Done, hope it's alright :]

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah it's fine, I'd like the usage tips to be worded slightly differently though, i.e. something like this: "Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, Mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot - Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope of switching into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the special defense EVs Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers due to lack of Defense investment."

QC 3/3

Yeah it's fine, I'd like the usage tips to be worded slightly differently though, i.e. something like this: "Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, Mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot - Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope of switching into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the special defense EVs Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers due to lack of Defense investment."

QC 3/3
Thank you!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)
Overview
########

Hippowdon is one of UU's best physical walls. It acts as a great check to a multitude of offensive threats, such as Darmanitan and Mega Beedrill. Thanks to its great bulk, it's also a good user of Stealth Rock. Hippowdon also resists Stealth Rock, so it's not worn down too easily by entry hazards. It also, and it (just changing up sentence structure to make it more interesting) has reliable recovery in Slack Off. However, its low Speed can be a problem, as it is easily outpaced by many Pokemon.

Physical Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon's great bulk means it's makes it a great user of Stealth Rock, as it can come in many times in a match to constantly set it up. Slack Off is a must on Hippowdon, as it keeps it constantly keeping it healthy, (remove comma) so that it can consistently switch in on Pokemon that it walls. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move and can actually hit surprisingly hard coming off of Hippowdon's decent Attack stat even without investment. Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon and Levitate users (Hydreigon), which that (because they are all are immune to EQ) are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Hydreigon. Ice Fang can also catch Grass-types on the switch. Whirlwind phazes out setup sweepers that try to use Hippowdon as setup bait. Toxic is another option to rack up residual damage when combined with sandstorm damage. You can also opt to run Rock Slide to hit Rotom-H, but it is generally not worth it, as Rotom-H since it can easily cripple Hippowdon with either Trick or Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximize Hippowdon's good physical bulk. Sand Stream allows Hippowdon to wear down the opponent's Pokemon, (remove comma) while also weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Morning Sun. Sandstorm damage can also be combined with Toxic damage, (remove comma) and entry hazards to whittle down at the opponent's foe's HP. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of Sand Stream are not good beneficial to the rest of your team. Leftovers gives Hippowdon passive recovery, allowing it to avoid possible 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to wear down the opponent's Pokemon. Use Hippowdon to wear down opposing Pokemon through the combination of Toxic and sandstorm damage. Slack Off should be used whenever Hippowdon is low on health, (remove comma) to keep it healthy enough to constantly check physical attackers multiple times throughout the game. Even though Hippowdon is a very sturdy physical wall, it does not enjoy taking repeated strong neutral hits such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, so know it's its limits.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon likes Pokemon teammates that can take care of strong special attackers. It also enjoys cleric support, as it has no way of getting rid of crippling status effects such as poison and burn like Toxic and Burn. This makes Blissey a very good partner. Hippowdon also appreciates teammates that can constantly switch into Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks repeatedly, such as Tentacruel, who which can also spin away entry hazards. Flying-type Pokemon like such as Crobat are also good teammates, as Hippowdon can easily tank the Rock- and Electric-type moves that they are weak to. However, they share an Ice-type weakness, so watch out for Pokemon that carry Ice-type coverage moves. Chesnaught and Roserade are also great partners for Hippowdon. Chesnaught can set up Spikes, while Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, forming a great entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon. Both of them can also repeatedly take Grass- and Water-type attacks for Hippowdon, but they all must be wary of Ice-type moves.

Special Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its reliable recovery in Slack Off, (remove comma) and its good natural bulk. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy throughout the match. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that can do decent damage even without Attack investment, while Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon such as like Crobat, as well as Hydreigon, (remove comma) and Roserade. Whirlwind racks up residual damage if entry hazards are up, as well as phazing out and also phazes setup sweepers. Toxic can be used with Sand Stream to wear down bulky walls such as like Porygon2. Rock Slide is also an another option to hit Flying-types like such as Mega Aerodactyl, however; however, Ice Fang can also hit Flying-types, does the same thing (you use "also" a lot in this sentence) while also hitting Grass-types on the switch.

Set Details
========

252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Hippowdon's special bulk. Leftovers is the best item, as it gives Hippowdon passive recovery, stopping it from being worn down too easily. Sand Stream is the preferred ability to wear down the opposing Pokemon, as well as weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Moonlight. Sand Force can also be used instead if the effects of sandstorm are detrimental towards your team.

Usage Tips
========

Use Hippowdon's good bulk to set up Stealth Rock throughout the match. Try to keep Hippowdon constantly healthy at all times or else it will be prone to being worn down, so Slack Off whenever your its health gets low. Hippowdon is great at tanking hits, so use it to wear down the opposing team through residual damage. Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers, (comma) such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot - (I think it's supposed to be the long dash?) Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope of switching to switch into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the Special Defense EVs, Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers (such as) due to its lack of Defense investment. Keep in mind that even if Hippowdon is running a specially defensive spread, it still has trouble switching in on very powerful special wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Chandelure.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types like such as Suicune also help in taking can take Water- and Ice-type attacks for Hippowdon. Stoutland appreciates sand support, which turns turning it into a powerful and fast physical attacker. Chesnaught forms an entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon, as well as being able to tank Water- and Grass-type attacks. Roserade can help set up Toxic Spikes, (remove comma) while also taking Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Hippodown. However, both Chesnaught and Roserade share an Ice weakness with Hippowdon, so you must be wary of Ice-type attacks.

Other Options
########

Smooth Rock can also be used over Leftovers, giving Stoutland more time under the sand to attack. Stone Edge does more damage to Flying-type Pokemon, as well as not missing and will not miss against Mega Pidgeot due to No Guard. Curse allows Hippowdon to work as a decent win condition.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: (colon) Most Water-types, (comma) such as Mega Blastoise and Suicune, (comma) can easily force out Hippowdon with their respective STAB moves, while Hippowdon cannot do anything back in return. However, Mega Blastoise must be wary of being crippled by Toxic.

**Grass-types**: (colon) Common Grass-types such as like Shaymin can easily switch in on Hippowdon and retaliate with their STAB moves. Shaymin doesn't care about Toxic, due to Natural Cure, and can OHKO back with Seed Flare.

**Status**: (colon) Hippowdon can be worn down by Toxic, (remove comma) to the point that a powerful physical attacker can muscle past it. A cleric is helpful here to remove status effects. (should probably stay in Team Options)

**Flying-types and Levitate Users / Levitators**: (colon) Hippowdon usually relies on Earthquake to beat its targets, and this can sometimes give Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot, Hydreigon, and Tornadus free switches ins. Most of them do not fear an nonun-STAB Rock Slide or Ice Fang, (remove comma) and can easily threaten Hippowdon back with their respective STAB moves.

Last edited:
1/2 :)
Overview
########

Hippowdon is one of UU's best physical walls. It acts as a great check to a multitude of offensive threats, such as Darmanitan and Mega Beedrill. Thanks to its great bulk, it's also a good user of Stealth Rock. Hippowdon also resists Stealth Rock, so it's not worn down too easily by entry hazards. It also, and it (just changing up sentence structure to make it more interesting) has reliable recovery in Slack Off. However, its low Speed can be a problem, as it is easily outpaced by many Pokemon.

Physical Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon's great bulk means it's makes it a great user of Stealth Rock, as it can come in many times in a match to constantly set it up. Slack Off is a must on Hippowdon, as it keeps it constantly keeping it healthy, (remove comma) so that it can consistently switch in on Pokemon that it walls. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move and can actually hit surprisingly hard coming off of Hippowdon's decent Attack stat even without investment. Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon and Levitate users (Hydreigon), which that (because they are all are immune to EQ) are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Hydreigon. Ice Fang can also catch Grass-types on the switch. Whirlwind phazes out setup sweepers that try to use Hippowdon as setup bait. Toxic is another option to rack up residual damage when combined with sandstorm damage. You can also opt to run Rock Slide to hit Rotom-H, but it is generally not worth it, as Rotom-H since it can easily cripple Hippowdon with either Trick or Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximize Hippowdon's good physical bulk. Sand Stream allows Hippowdon to wear down the opponent's Pokemon, (remove comma) while also weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Morning Sun. Sandstorm damage can also be combined with Toxic damage, (remove comma) and entry hazards to whittle down at the opponent's foe's HP. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of Sand Stream are not good beneficial to the rest of your team. Leftovers gives Hippowdon passive recovery, allowing it to avoid possible 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to wear down the opponent's Pokemon. Use Hippowdon to wear down opposing Pokemon through the combination of Toxic and sandstorm damage. Slack Off should be used whenever Hippowdon is low on health, (remove comma) to keep it healthy enough to constantly check physical attackers multiple times throughout the game. Even though Hippowdon is a very sturdy physical wall, it does not enjoy taking repeated strong neutral hits such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, so know it's its limits.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon likes Pokemon teammates that can take care of strong special attackers. It also enjoys cleric support, as it has no way of getting rid of crippling status effects such as poison and burn like Toxic and Burn. This makes Blissey a very good partner. Hippowdon also appreciates teammates that can constantly switch into Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks repeatedly, such as Tentacruel, who which can also spin away entry hazards. Flying-type Pokemon like such as Crobat are also good teammates, as Hippowdon can easily tank the Rock- and Electric-type moves that they are weak to. However, they share an Ice-type weakness, so watch out for Pokemon that carry Ice-type coverage moves. Chesnaught and Roserade are also great partners for Hippowdon. Chesnaught can set up Spikes, while Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, forming a great entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon. Both of them can also repeatedly take Grass- and Water-type attacks for Hippowdon, but they all must be wary of Ice-type moves.

Special Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its reliable recovery in Slack Off, (remove comma) and its good natural bulk. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy throughout the match. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that can do decent damage even without Attack investment, while Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon such as like Crobat, as well as Hydreigon, (remove comma) and Roserade. Whirlwind racks up residual damage if entry hazards are up, as well as phazing out and also phazes setup sweepers. Toxic can be used with Sand Stream to wear down bulky walls such as like Porygon2. Rock Slide is also an another option to hit Flying-types like such as Mega Aerodactyl, however; however, Ice Fang can also hit Flying-types, does the same thing (you use "also" a lot in this sentence) while also hitting Grass-types on the switch.

Set Details
========

252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Hippowdon's special bulk. Leftovers is the best item, as it gives Hippowdon passive recovery, stopping it from being worn down too easily. Sand Stream is the preferred ability to wear down the opposing Pokemon, as well as weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Moonlight. Sand Force can also be used instead if the effects of sandstorm are detrimental towards your team.

Usage Tips
========

Use Hippowdon's good bulk to set up Stealth Rock throughout the match. Try to keep Hippowdon constantly healthy at all times or else it will be prone to being worn down, so Slack Off whenever your its health gets low. Hippowdon is great at tanking hits, so use it to wear down the opposing team through residual damage. Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers, (comma) such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot - (I think it's supposed to be the long dash?) Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope of switching to switch into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the Special Defense EVs, Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers (such as) due to its lack of Defense investment. Keep in mind that even if Hippowdon is running a specially defensive spread, it still has trouble switching in on very powerful special wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Chandelure.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types like such as Suicune also help in taking can take Water- and Ice-type attacks for Hippowdon. Stoutland appreciates sand support, which turns turning it into a powerful and fast physical attacker. Chesnaught forms an entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon, as well as being able to tank Water- and Grass-type attacks. Roserade can help set up Toxic Spikes, (remove comma) while also taking Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Hippodown. However, both Chesnaught and Roserade share an Ice weakness with Hippowdon, so you must be wary of Ice-type attacks.

Other Options
########

Smooth Rock can also be used over Leftovers, giving Stoutland more time under the sand to attack. Stone Edge does more damage to Flying-type Pokemon, as well as not missing and will not miss against Mega Pidgeot due to No Guard. Curse allows Hippowdon to work as a decent win condition.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: (colon) Most Water-types, (comma) such as Mega Blastoise and Suicune, (comma) can easily force out Hippowdon with their respective STAB moves, while Hippowdon cannot do anything back in return. However, Mega Blastoise must be wary of being crippled by Toxic.

**Grass-types**: (colon) Common Grass-types such as like Shaymin can easily switch in on Hippowdon and retaliate with their STAB moves. Shaymin doesn't care about Toxic, due to Natural Cure, and can OHKO back with Seed Flare.

**Status**: (colon) Hippowdon can be worn down by Toxic, (remove comma) to the point that a powerful physical attacker can muscle past it. A cleric is helpful here to remove status effects. (should probably stay in Team Options)

**Flying-types and Levitate Users / Levitators**: (colon) Hippowdon usually relies on Earthquake to beat its targets, and this can sometimes give Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot, Hydreigon, and Tornadus free switches ins. Most of them do not fear an nonun-STAB Rock Slide or Ice Fang, (remove comma) and can easily threaten Hippowdon back with their respective STAB moves.
implemented, thanks!
Ready for final GP check :]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)
(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########

Hippowdon is one of UU's best physical walls. It acts as a great check to a multitude of offensive threats, such as Darmanitan and Mega Beedrill. Thanks to its great bulk, it's also a good user of Stealth Rock. Hippowdon also resists Stealth Rock, so it's not worn down too easily by entry hazards, and it has reliable recovery in Slack Off. However, its low Speed can be a problem, as it is easily outpaced by many Pokemon.

Physical Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon's great bulk makes it a great user of Stealth Rock, as it can come in many times in a match to set it up. Slack Off is a must on Hippowdon, keeping it healthy so that it can consistently switch in on Pokemon that it walls. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move and that can hit surprisingly hard coming off of Hippowdon's decent Attack stat even without investment. Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon and Levitate users, which are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Hydreigon, (comma) Ice Fang can while also catching Grass-types on the switch. Whirlwind phazes setup (implied) sweepers that try to use Hippowdon as setup bait. Toxic is another option to rack up residual damage when combined in tandem with sandstorm damage. You can also opt to run Rock Slide to hit Rotom-H, but it is generally not worth it, as Rotom-H can easily cripple Hippowdon with either Trick or Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximize Hippowdon's good physical bulk. Sand Stream allows Hippowdon to wear down the opponent's Pokemon while also weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Morning Sun. Sandstorm damage can also be combined with Toxic damage and entry hazards to whittle down at the foe's HP. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of Sand Stream are not beneficial to the rest of your team. Leftovers gives Hippowdon passive recovery, allowing it to avoid possible 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to wear down the opponent's Pokemon. Use Hippowdon to wear down opposing Pokemon through the combination of Toxic and sandstorm damage. Slack Off should be used whenever Hippowdon is low on health to keep it healthy enough to check physical attackers multiple times throughout the game. Even though Hippowdon is a very sturdy physical wall, it does not enjoy taking repeated strong neutral hits such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, so know its limits.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon likes teammates that can take care of strong special attackers. It also enjoys cleric support, as it has no way of getting rid of crippling status effects such as poison and burn. This makes Blissey a very good partner. Hippowdon also appreciates teammates that can switch into Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks repeatedly, such as Tentacruel, which can also spin away entry hazards. Flying-type Pokemon such as Crobat are also good teammates, as Hippowdon can easily tank the Rock- and Electric-type moves that they are weak to. However, they share an Ice-type weakness, so watch out for Pokemon that carry Ice-type coverage moves. Chesnaught and Roserade are also great partners for Hippowdon. Chesnaught can set up Spikes, while Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, forming a great entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon. Both of them can also repeatedly take Grass- and Water-type attacks for Hippowdon, but they all must be wary of Ice-type moves.

Special Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its reliable recovery in Slack Off and its good natural bulk. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy throughout the match. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that can do decent damage even without Attack investment, while Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon such as Crobat, as well as Hydreigon and Roserade. Whirlwind racks up residual damage if entry hazards are up (RC) and also phazes setup sweepers. Toxic can be used with Sand Stream to wear down bulky walls such as Porygon2. Rock Slide is another option to hit Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl; however, Ice Fang does the same thing while also hitting Grass-types on the switch.

Set Details
========

252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Hippowdon's special bulk. Leftovers is the best item, as it gives Hippowdon passive recovery, stopping it from being worn down too easily. Sand Stream is the preferred ability to wear down opposing Pokemon, as well as weakening recovery moves that rely on the weather, such as Moonlight. Sand Force can be used instead if the effects of sandstorm are detrimental to your team.

Usage Tips
========

Use Hippowdon's good bulk to set up Stealth Rock throughout the match. Try to keep Hippowdon healthy at all times by using Slack Off whenever its health gets low, (AC) or else it will be prone to being worn down, so Slack Off whenever its health gets low. Hippowdon is great at tanking hits, so use it to wear down the opposing team through residual damage. Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers, such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope to switch into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the Special Defense EVs, Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers, such as Life Orb Mienshao, due to its lack of Defense investment. Keep in mind that even if Hippowdon is running a specially defensive spread, it still has trouble switching in on very powerful special wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Chandelure.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune can take Water- and Ice-type attacks for Hippowdon. Stoutland appreciates sand support, which turns it into a powerful and fast physical attacker. Chesnaught forms an entry hazard stacking core with Hippowdon, as well as being able to tank Water- and Grass-type attacks. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, while also taking Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Hippodown. However, both Chesnaught and Roserade share an Ice weakness with Hippowdon, so you must be wary of Ice-type attacks.

Other Options
########

Smooth Rock can be used over Leftovers, giving Stoutland more time under the sand to attack. Stone Edge does more damage to Flying-type Pokemon, and it will not miss against Mega Pidgeot due to No Guard. Curse allows Hippowdon to work as a decent win condition.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Most Water-types, such as Mega Blastoise and Suicune, can easily force out Hippowdon with their respective STAB moves, while Hippowdon cannot do anything back in return. However, Mega Blastoise must be wary of being crippled by Toxic.

**Grass-types**: Common Grass-types such as Shaymin can easily switch in on Hippowdon and retaliate with their STAB moves. Shaymin doesn't care about Toxic, due to Natural Cure, and can OHKO back with Seed Flare.

**Status**: Hippowdon can be worn down by Toxic to the point that a powerful physical attacker can muscle past it.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Hippowdon usually relies on Earthquake to beat its targets, and this can sometimes give Pokemon such as Mega Pidgeot, Hydreigon, and Tornadus free switches. Most of them do not fear a non-STAB Rock Slide or Ice Fang and can easily threaten Hippowdon back with their respective STAB moves.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########

Physical Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon's great bulk makes it a great user of Stealth Rock, as it can come in many times in a match to set it up. Slack Off is a must on Hippowdon, keeping it healthy so that it can consistently switch in on Pokemon that it walls. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move and that can hit surprisingly hard coming off of Hippowdon's decent Attack stat even without investment. Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon and Levitate users, which are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Hydreigon, (comma) Ice Fang can while also catching Grass-types on the switch. Whirlwind phazes setup (implied) sweepers that try to use Hippowdon as setup bait. Toxic is another option to rack up residual damage when combined in tandem with sandstorm damage. You can also opt to run Rock Slide to hit Rotom-H, but it is generally not worth it, as Rotom-H can easily cripple Hippowdon with either Trick or Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Special Wall
########

Moves
========

Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its reliable recovery in Slack Off and its good natural bulk. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy throughout the match. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that can do decent damage even without Attack investment, while Ice Fang hits Flying-type Pokemon such as Crobat, as well as Hydreigon and Roserade. Whirlwind racks up residual damage if entry hazards are up (RC) and also phazes setup sweepers. Toxic can be used with Sand Stream to wear down bulky walls such as Porygon2. Rock Slide is another option to hit Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl; however, Ice Fang does the same thing while also hitting Grass-types on the switch.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Use Hippowdon's good bulk to set up Stealth Rock throughout the match. Try to keep Hippowdon healthy at all times by using Slack Off whenever its health gets low, (AC) or else it will be prone to being worn down, so Slack Off whenever its health gets low. Hippowdon is great at tanking hits, so use it to wear down the opposing team through residual damage. Specially defensive Hippowdon can check many powerful special attackers, such as Hydreigon, Alakazam, Mega Ampharos, mixed Infernape, and Mega Pidgeot Pokemon that physically defensive Hippowdon cannot even hope to switch into. Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk even when uninvested, so with the Special Defense EVs, Hippowdon becomes a great mixed wall. However, it loses the ability to counter particularly powerful physical attackers, such as Life Orb Mienshao, due to its lack of Defense investment. Keep in mind that even if Hippowdon is running a specially defensive spread, it still has trouble switching in on very powerful special wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Chandelure.

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

GP 2/2
thanks!
this is implemented, done, and ready for upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)