Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Alright, so Wobs helped me out with revamping a certain Fairy recently.

View attachment 34421

Floette should be about done, but feel free to pass us any notes you have.

Snivy101 (Chris White) I like the back sprite, but the front sprite might be better off showing as many details as possible. The 3D models as a medium follow different conventions from 2D.

Brylark By and large, I don't think that improves the Gogoat sprites, really. There's a lot of space between the legs, and the face is rather iffy.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Layell and I have begun doing social media giveaways as part of Smogon's Facebook page! The next one is tomorrow at 10:00 am EST in case any of you might be interested in participating, although we can't reveal what the 'mon will be yet or tennisace might yell at us. The process is pretty random and chances tend to be slim, but everything is bred by myself and competitively flawless. For reference, here's a link to the last one.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Alright, this page has been dead for the past one or two weeks with a few updates here and there, so It's my turn to make it live again.

No this has nothing to do with Groudon or Lopunny I was busy with something else, a super duper secret project that aXl and I were working on for awhile.
I'm proud to present this pink, yellow and gray creature.

We worked really hard on this guy making sure the arms, tail, and other areas like the skirt and horns. I'm going to say that making those arms was the worst part of this cause I had to create 3 drafts of them and the fact we couldn't finish them cause the body would be covered. aXl asked if I was still planning to do this, explaining that I was I asked if he wanted to work on this with me, he said sure. Soon after, I crafted a body with fully shading and outlines. He edited it a bunch making it have nicer colors and size. I'm glad that we worked on this together cause this was such a great sprite, I really liked how it turned out

lol Actually this was the secret sprite not Unbound Hoopa:

totally better than the Pikachu Pop-star we have now right? I agree

That Pikachu Pop Star, though.

But seriously, TrainerSplash I really like the Hoopa Unbound you and aXl made. It looks like it will wreck things! While the Pikachu Pop Star is better than the previous one, the tail is kinda out of proportion, but it's not a big deal.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Update
ok, so like 3 people more than 3 or 4 people thought the Pikachu Popstar joke was an actual thing. It isn't, it was a complete joke, the limbs are circles, the ears are just triangles, the tail doesn't even correspond to normal Pikachu's tail. It was literally how I used to draw Pikachu as a kid (and how I draw him in my doodles now) and aXl just simply sprited and dressed it up. We both did a poor job at showing it was a joke and are both sorry for the confusion. We're actually both laughing at the mess we just caused.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone. Just wanted to drop by saying I really like the Hoopa Unbound sprite (fantastic job, both of you!), though the pink is too pink, since Unbound is more purple than pink. Other than that, no remarks at all. The Pikachu Pop Star should definitely be saved for April Fools 2015, because it's just too damn funny.

That said, I have my last final tomorrow and I'll have one week off, so that gives me some time to work on sprites. Probably going to perfect Mega Salamence - you should know me by now, but whether or not that'll happen depends on my mood and schedule, since I'll be watching an anime and playing retro games. Best way to spend an entire week, yay.

Anyway, 'til update.
- Kyuzeth

Is this where I ask for permission to use these sprites? I'm planning a game using Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP but Essentials doesn't have data for gen 6. So may I please use the sprites? And if so, where do I give credit within the game?

Is this where I ask for permission to use these sprites? I'm planning a game using Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP but Essentials doesn't have data for gen 6. So may I please use the sprites? And if so, where do I give credit within the game?
Yessssss. Former Essentials and RPGMXP user here, myself.

Where you give credit is up to you, as long as it clearly states "Smogon XY Sprite Project". Read the OP for more information. Good luck with your game development!

All I really have to say about the Pikachu Pop Star fiasco is it makes a statement about standards. The other day, I was told that three or four people in total not only took it seriously but also gave it positive feedback, which is kind of crazy as it definitely looked like butt to me. The takeaway is it takes a lot of effort to produce "serious" sprites that actually look good, so keep that in mind. (I admit the actual idea was kind of funny, though)

To clear the waters here, I was the one who created the Pikachu sprite, TrainerSplsh created the sketch that I used as a base. It came up as a stream joke and we thought it'd be a nice way to add some humor to the thread. I literally threw together the sprite in under one hour, assuming the terrible proportions would be enough to clue people in as to it being a joke. I may have gone overboard, however, as I did actually give it shading based on the real Pikachu sprite in an attempt to stress the janky proportions more, but apparently the obvious attempt set forth in the sprite made some people miss the joke. Humorous art done can occasionally miss the point when done seriously, and I'm afraid that's what happened here. We should have tried to make it more obvious that it was a joke, but mistakes happen. Feel free to blast me over PM/profile comments now, as I feel TS has been receiving unwarranted criticism solely because he was the one who posted the sprite. I'm more at fault than he is if anything, and I accept the responsibility that comes with that. I apologize for any confusion our actions caused.

New sprite updates should be coming soon, so I'll chat more later. Just had to get this out in the open, as I feel TS has been put under a lot of pressure for something that is at least 50% my fault.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey no worries everyone, we can all have our fun.

I for one wasn't going to upload the Pikachu anyways : P

Revisions of old work continuing on whether my physics lectures like it or not!
Mega Banette (REDUX)
New Base Old

This gave me something to do in between edits on Hoopa U, so this was pretty cool. Also, this is near my third consecutive Mega-Banette related piece of art. I wonder if there's any sort of connection.
~Clarity on the zippers intensified, as prior zipper outlines were a little crazy.
~Mega Banette has more of a shoulder-thing going on now.
~Eyes edited with heavy influence taken from the original sprite, as the eyes look more menacing there. Old eyes were a little too wide imo.
~Shading on the ponytail makes more sense now with the rest of the sprite.
~Shading generally made darker by dropping the shades on the dress for the shades one value lower.
~Edited the finger shading.
~Edited the dress spikes.
~Highlight shade added to the sprite, similar to how its used in Banette Classic.
Also, have a Shiny Sprite, complete with added zipper recolors that I had previously neglected.
So, what do you guys think? This is now my second QC run on M Banette, so hopefully this wraps everything up in regards to him. But as always, if you have any comments or concerns, post them here and I'll get too them while sleeping in lecture. +)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
*Hoping I don't get backlash like the past posts.*
I actually posted this a day early on dA for all those who saw ;)
upload_2015-2-2_20-53-51.png
BEHOLD a brand new Mega Lucario just for you guys. I made this on Friday starting off with just a small sketch. I feel like Mega Lucario should have never been made from the normal Lucario sprite. Mega Lucario in general has "minor" but noticeable changes from normal Lucario and I feel like it wasn't shown well. At first I made it the size of the zangoose sprite, which is the same size as Mega Lucario is in the games. Noticing it looked really small to normal 'cario I made it a bit bigger. After talking with other users and artists they thought it looked really nice as well. Taking normal Lucario as a reference to shading and almost identical feet to the original I think it turned out well.

• pointier and longer snout
  • more buff
  • red
  • black marking changes
  • spikes on feet, along with the ones on hands changing shape and moving more down it's paw
  • more narrow eye shape
  • longer dreads
  • it's taller
  • scarf floofyiness
  • floofy tail

next mini projects:
Mega Garchomp and/or working more on the bunny and the land lizard.
Edit: forgot to mention the one on dA is different with having a change of paws. I also changed the file on the one posted here as I had a bit more updated version.
Have a nice day :)

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so after some thought about Greninja's current sprite, I thought I'd make one with a new pose, because the current one had a very awkward one.

The pose made here was adopted by TrainerSplash, which originally came from Smash Bros.
The first one is mine.
The second is his original sprite
The third is the current Greninja sprite.

The main changes from his is that I made things more "round", made the jagged outlines smoother, and redid most of the shading.

Thoughts? For one I can't seem to make the hands right.

did we mention Hoopa confirmed?
Hoopa Confirmed

So old Hoopa needed work. So I decided to rescratch it. In general, the old version was too flat, forward-facing, somewhat disproportional, had weird teeth, etc. So I went in to create a new one to correct that, which is on the right. After leaving this on my DA account for a day, I ended up with three edits, viperdk1 brought up some quick corrections I could make to improve the piece, and so they are present on the left and middle. I tried really hard to get Hoopa's "shit-eating grin" down here, and I think the oneon the left probably illustrates it best.

So yeah, cool new sprites. Backsprites coming soon and all that jazz.
Okay, so after some thought about Greninja's current sprite, I thought I'd make one with a new pose, because the current one had a very awkward one.

The pose made here was adopted by TrainerSplash, which originally came from Smash Bros.
The first one is mine.
The second is his original sprite
The third is the current Greninja sprite.

The main changes from his is that I made things more "round", made the jagged outlines smoother, and redid most of the shading.

Thoughts? For one I can't seem to make the hands right.
You've done a pretty good job editing TS's sprite imo, although I feel the main issue with the pose is that its too active in a strange way. I have a hard time imagining how Greninja would get into a pose like this while facing down an opponent across the battlefield. Granted, the original Greninja sprite suffers from essentially the same issue, as a ninja has very little reason to put its knee between its two arms, as it does little but tangle itself up. tbh the original sprite reminds me of some skeezy prostitute attempting to look sexy rather than a battle-hardened ninja ready to strike. While the new sprite has a less awkward pose, I still feel we can do better. I almost feel that this image does a better job of posing rather than its Amiibo pose, maybe with repositioning the arm to be adjusting the tongue or doing some form of jujitsu rather than being thrown back fully. Just some thoughts in that regard.

In regards to sprite issues, I think the eye should be a bit more apparent, but otherwise, the left leg is still extremely awkward. Again though, posing issue.

(lol I just thought about Sylveon but we'll just keep pushing that til the end of spriting)
But I searched Deviantart for potential poses for Greninja. A few have been proposed in the past but I'll just put them here. Again these are purely for POSE-SAKE!

And that last one is you know.... a bit big, but It's still a possible pose. Or at least for our Rare Animation

Hi guys, i just tried doing a shiny sprite of chespin and i am wondering if this is good enough (back sprite is in progress)

This one:
650.png

edit:

btw, i just recolored the original sprite using the colors based on chespin's artwork (credits to the orignal maker of the sprite)

Hi guys, i just tried doing a shiny sprite of chespin and i am wondering if this is good enough (back sprite is in progress)

This one:
View attachment 35483

edit:

btw, i just recolored the original sprite using the colors based on chespin's artwork (credits to the orignal maker of the sprite)
Hello; welcome to smogon.

Unfortunately, Chespin is not yet ready for a shiny sprite. Sorry to be the one to tell you. I'm sure, though, if you check the spreadsheet there will be something you can do.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Too much sprites that need fixing and "recreates"
I feel like Lemongrab with all these unacceptable sprites I'm editing/creating ... Lopunny, Espurr, Greninja...

obviously under construction, but I'm just posting what I have of Mega Chomp.
Should be same size, same colors. again still being made.
I have some Greninja poses, I'll show those later.
...one million years dungeon all of you, no exceptions.

I've asked aXl to put his spin on Greninja, who's the only person I trust to do it. Up until now, there've been so many other things that needed edits badly, but this is a good time to go back and look for more subjective QC to do. For the record, I think it's OK to express your opinion and say you don't like something so long as it's constructive, such as Sunfished making an original attempt at an improvement (Sunfished, your QC looks good, but some of the linework is still a bit odd).

Snivy101, being passive-aggressive doesn't help me understand what your issue with Sylveon is.

aXl the second Hoopa in the middle seems to have the most proportional face, but the first one is great as well. If anything, the facial features are still kind of faint, but I'm not sure if you have enough of the right colours to darken and emphasize them more.

TrainerSplash Your Mega Lucario has some proportional issues (particularly the shape of the face/muzzle), but I'm guessing that this is a scratch sprite. Replacing the current Lucario isn't the best idea, though, so long as there are proportional issues in the new version.

Progress report! About 54/72 (or three quarters) of the Kalos sprites are done or close to it as of a few weeks ago. I haven't had much time lately to go over everything and do a big update, but hopefully, this serves as cool news. ;u; There's also no way this would've happened without the help of aXl and Wobblebuns, who are amazing boys and have all of my adulation forever.

As a personal rant, I have a new part-time job as a sales associate, and I really dislike it. I don't have much time, but I'm hoping to get more Kalos stuff done soon.

Hello; welcome to smogon.

Unfortunately, Chespin is not yet ready for a shiny sprite. Sorry to be the one to tell you. I'm sure, though, if you check the spreadsheet there will be something you can do.

thanks anyways, i'll see if there's something i can do :)

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I was planning on revamping this eventually but always ended up pushing it back, so thanks for motivating me to finally get it done, TrainerSplash. I needed a break from working on Mega Metagross anyway, backsprites are a total pain and it's taking way longer than I'd like it to.

Old to new, with changes to the arms, chest, shoulders, head, and feet:
==>

I made a lot of structural changes from the old one in order to make it more accurate to what Mega Garchomp actually looks like, as well as make the pose a bit more menacing. For the record, I don't actually care all that much if this one ends up getting replaced by a new sprite, it's just that if it does get replaced, I'd rather it not be because I was too lazy to fix the obvious errors in the one that I did make.

I'm in no hurry to do the backsprite of this too, so that'll just stay on the "eventually" list for now.

Last edited:
Well, I was planning on revamping this eventually but always ended up pushing it back, so thanks for motivating me to finally get it done, TrainerSplash. I needed a break from working on Mega Metagross anyway, backsprites are a total pain and it's taking way longer than I'd like it to.

==>

I made a lot of structural changes from the old one in order to make it more accurate to what Mega Garchomp actually looks like, as well as make the pose a bit more menacing. For the record, I don't actually care all that much if this one ends up getting replaced by a new sprite, it's just that if it does get replaced, I'd rather it not be because I was too lazy to fix the obvious errors of the one that I did make.

I'm in no hurry to do the backsprite of this too, so that'll just stay on the "eventually" list for now.
Already looks a lot better, the old one just looked pretty lazy. The new blades are really nice.

On the subject of fixes, I got a QC in the works and am planning to revise Mega Salamence. I was distracted during my week off with other things, kinda feel bad I barely made any spriting work. Oh well, time to get in gear again this weekend.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form

==>

I made a lot of structural changes from the old one in order to make it more accurate to what Mega Garchomp actually looks like, as well as make the pose a bit more menacing. For the record, I don't actually care all that much if this one ends up getting replaced by a new sprite, it's just that if it does get replaced, I'd rather it not be because I was too lazy to fix the obvious errors of the one that I did make.

Wait what, I made my own version of the sprite, which none of these look like mine... so I fail to see how I motivated you ;_;
Also, if you need reference material for that Megagross backsprite, I'd take a look a look at this: http://41.media.tumblr.com/15682975894fe8de69849b59d2a0f45d/tumblr_nj84zuI4eU1rgvmfqo1_1280.jpg this is piece of the official "New Hoenn Art Book" which pretty much shows concept art and reference material. Scans like these can come in handy in later edits and QC's,
Already looks a lot better, the old one just looked pretty lazy. The new blades are really nice.

On the subject of fixes, I got a QC in the works and am planning to revise Mega Salamence. I was distracted during my week off with other things, kinda feel bad I barely made any spriting work. Oh well, time to get in gear again this weekend.
Honestly the whole recoloring sprites to make them into Megas ARE lazy. Call me a hypocrite cause of other sprites I made. Unless it's Piedgot or Sableye levels of change I see no reason to not make new poses and sprites.

I will probably most likely redraw mega Lopunny overall, I think it works best without having to edit several times and having to make it make it look bad and having to edit again but still needs work. So yeah new Lopunny should be expected in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)