VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say I'm using a mon with volt absorb. Then say it's partner is a mon with volt switch. Now, say there's not a follow me on the field and things are starting to look bad for volt absorb. Would it be a viable strategy to volt switch on the volt absorb to heal and set up with a better mon? Or is this just a dumb idea?

Edit: Also, earthquake, stone edge, or rock slide on a mega gallade?
It can be, but it really depends on the situation. If you were planning on doing something like this, discharge could be a good move to use...

What are some good counters to Heatran that work well on a Trick Room team?
Assault Vest Conkeldurr/Hariyama/Scrafty

Conkeldurr
- has the highest attack stat of these three
- doesn't care about random Heat Wave burns (Guts)
- has STAB Mach Punch for priority

Hariyama
- doesn't care about random Heat Wave burns (Guts)
OR
- has a resistance to Fire- and Ice-type attacks (Thick Fat)
- provides Fake Out support

Scrafty
- has STAB Knock Off
- has Super Fang
- provides Fake Out support
- provides Intimidate support
- offers a Psychic-type immunity in exchange for an even bigger Fairy-type weakness

Gastrodon is another option if you plan on using Mega Camerupt on your Trick Room team.

Last edited:
But im not going to be using fake out :/
Sorry I misread that. I would still say Scrappy though as you're using Protect and you can use that to block incoming Fake Outs. You may be able to catch someone off guard and hit their ghost with a return if it's not advantageous to mega-evolve.

Sorry I misread that. I would still say Scrappy though as you're using Protect and you can use that to block incoming Fake Outs. You may be able to catch someone off guard and hit their ghost with a return if it's not advantageous to mega-evolve.
Okie doke, thanks so much :-)

When EVing a Support Thundurus (Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Taunt/Protect, Bold) what are the benchmarks I should take into account? Like, is there anything I should specifically train it to survive, outspeed, or OHKO?

Is there any threads or places I can go for general VGC tips such as teambuilding, playstyle, and what to do differently from Singles? Things like running Protect and the lack of setting up, etc.

I'm using a mixed mega-salamence with draco meteor, EQ, double-edge and ?, what should be my final move? and should I run 252Atk/252Spe/252SpA or 196Atk/252Spe/60SpA? thanks in advance

I'm having trouble coming up with an EV spread for Heatran. What are some general guidelines should I follow to come up with an EV spread?

I'm having trouble coming up with an EV spread for Heatran. What are some general guidelines should I follow to come up with an EV spread?
The general formula for making an EV spread is generally:
1) Find a Hit you want to always KO / hit you want to always want to survive / Pokemon you always want to outspeed.
2) Invest enough to EVs reach that goal
3) Repeat step 1 if there's something some other goal you want to meet
4) dump the rest into your other most useful stats.

For Heatran, you could do something like invest enough speed to always outrun Bisharp or Metagross or maybe invest enough defense to live a weaker EQ or Close Combat with a Chople Berry. Then dump the rest into your Special Attack.

Say I'm using a mon with volt absorb. Then say it's partner is a mon with volt switch. Now, say there's not a follow me on the field and things are starting to look bad for volt absorb. Would it be a viable strategy to volt switch on the volt absorb to heal and set up with a better mon? Or is this just a dumb idea?

Edit: Also, earthquake, stone edge, or rock slide on a mega gallade?
I don`t think that your poke will switch since volt absorb makes you inmune to electric... and well you dont switch while volt switching a ground type mon the idea is good tho

Well im thinking on starting a new thread on my road to VGC as a n00b at the format and to competitive pokemon in general, my question is is there any post where i can check general commands for posting like images and stuff ? or can someone give me a summary ?
Oh and BTW does anybody knows a good artist that would make a sig and probably a tatoo ?

What is a good set (with Stone Edge of course) and ev spread for AV Tyranitar? So far I have max hp and 100 def for the ev's. And follow up question; I haven't played since '14, so what are the threats against T-Tar (old and new) that I need to look out for???

terrakion and landorus-t are the biggest threats that weren't in vgc '15.
defensively, rotom-wash and suicune also give you heaps of problems

Mixed AV Tyranitar with Rock-type attack / Dark-type attack / Ice Beam / Low Kick

The EV spread depends on your team and what you need it to kill, survive and outspeed.
Well I wouldn't personally put too much into speed, especially with a mixed set on an obviously defensive pokemon as you'd want to run a -speed set as to not take away from sp attack, defense, or sp defense.
But what about a moveset (w/ Stone Edge) and ev spread for AV T-tar?
Like nelson said, just test out some spreads on a damage calculator and see what you want. Some 'mons I'd definitely want to watch out for though are m-altaria, m-metagross, and garchomp

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Does M-Khan miss out on any notiable KO's if it runs Jolly instead of Adamant? I'm currently running Adamant, but getting outsped in M-Khan mirror matches is starting to annoy me, especially Fake Out vs Fake Out..

Does M-Khan miss out on any notiable KO's if it runs Jolly instead of Adamant? I'm currently running Adamant, but getting outsped in M-Khan mirror matches is starting to annoy me, especially Fake Out vs Fake Out..
Adamant Mega Kangaskhan 2HKOs bulky Rotom-A (@ Sitrus Berry) with a Fake Out followed by a Double-Edge, iirc.

Also this:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 186-219 (102.7 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

compared to this:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 168-198 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)