NU Scyther

QC: hollywood, CanadianWifier, Kiyo
GP: GatoDelFuego, P Squared

Overview
########

Boasting high Attack and Speed stats, Scyther is a premier revenge killer and momentum gainer in the tier with the use of STAB U-turn. A Choice Band set takes advantage of its highest stats and increases its ability to weaken the opposing team while keeping momentum on its side of the field. The power increase comes with a price: due to a lack of recovery, Scyther find itself easily worn down. The option to hold Eviolite also allows Scyther to be used as a bulky setup sweeper, a role that benefits from the high amount of Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-type Pokemon in the tier. The bulky variants of Scyther trade the immediate power of a Choice set for reliable recovery and added defenses from an Eviolite. In spite of the offensive pressure that Scyther offers, its typing leaves it very weak to Stealth Rock and lets Steel-type Pokemon wall it easily.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Aerial Ace
move 3: Knock Off / Bug Bite
move 4: Roost
ability: Technician
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance is the staple move of this set, boosting Scyther's Attack to a considerable level even with such little investment. Aerial Ace is a reliable attack once Scyther sets up, also hitting Fighting-type Pokemon and bulky Grass-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Knock Off is a good option early-game, getting rid of items from Scyther's common switch-ins and preparing the stage for a Swords Dance sweep later on. As Rhydon is one of the best switch-ins to Scyther besides Steel-types, being able to get rid of its Eviolite will reduce the amount of times it will be able to come in again. Ghost-types that might come in on predicted U-turns will also not appreciate losing their item or simply fainting. If the previously mentioned Pokemon are not a problem for the team, Scyther can afford to use a second STAB move in Bug Bite or U-turn. Bug Bite is Scyther's most powerful attack against opposing bulky Psychic- and Dark-type Pokemon, while U-turn allows Scyther to pivot early-game before finding the opportunity to set up. Roost improves Scyther's longevity and allows it to set up and heal back up on weaker targets. Having reliable recovery in Roost also allows Scyther to switch into Stealth Rock if needed. Baton Pass merits a mention on this set as a way of not wasting Swords Dance boosts in case Scyther gets threatened out shortly after setting up.

Set Details
========

Full Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow Scyther to outspeed most of the metagame, which aids in gaining momentum early-game and sweeping late-game. Eviolite allows it to find more opportunities to set up on defensive Pokemon. 248 HP EVs further augment Scyther's bulk while also giving it an odd HP number, letting it switch into Stealth Rock three times. A more offensive spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe is also an option, offering more immediate power early-game and maximizing Scyther's damage output, ensuring an OHKO on Typhlosion after a Swords Dance boost.

Usage Tips
========

The main goal of Swords Dance Scyther is to set up and sweep; therefore, it is best preserved for late-game, when its counters are either weakened or taken out. Its high Speed allows Scyther to also revenge kill during early stages of the game without getting weakened. The bulk that Eviolite offers allows Scyther to switch in more often on opposing defensive Pokemon, but it still has to be wary of Stealth Rock. While the ability to heal with Roost takes off some stress from the need to clear the entry hazards on your side of the field, getting rid of Stealth Rock will always be favorable for Scyther.

Team Options
========

Lanturn is a premier partner of Scyther, as it resists four of five types that Scyther is weak to, and Scyther is immune or 4x resistant to Lanturn's weaknesses. Lanturn also offers utility in Heal Bell to get rid of any status conditions that Scyther suffers from, along with a slow Volt Switch to aid Scyther's switches. Because Scyther is used here as a setup sweeper, a surefire way to get rid of opposing Steel-types is preferred. Probopass shines as an option, as it can trap and dispatch of them with Earth Power. It also offers an answer to Rock- and Flying-type attacks, can set up Stealth Rock, and can gain momentum with slow Volt Switches. Scyther can be paired up with entry hazard removers such Cryogonal, Mantine, and Claydol, with which it has decent defensive synergy. Choice Band Sawk can muscle through opposing Steel- and Rock-types that can stop Scyther. Fire-type wallbreakers, such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, are a great way to open up sweeping opportunities for Scyther.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-turn
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Quick Attack / Brick Break
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

With a Choice Band increasing its immediate power, U-turn is the staple move on this set. STAB U-turn will threaten out opposing Psychic- and Dark-types, such as Mesprit and Malamar, while also hitting most switch-ins hard. Aerial Ace offers the most damage output without forcing Scyther to switch out. Knock Off is very spammable, allowing Scyther to get rid of items from its switch-ins and reduce their longevity. As Rhydon is one of the best switch-ins to Scyther, getting rid of its Eviolite can shorten its longevity and make it harder for it to take Choice Band-boosted U-turns later in the game. A Technician-boosted Quick Attack hits decently hard and can pick off weakened Pokemon that can otherwise outspeed and KO Scyther, such as Pyroar, Swellow, and Archeops. Brick Break is an option if Scyther needs to hit opposing Steel-types.

Set Details
========

Maximizing Speed with 252 EVs and a Jolly nature allows Scyther to outpace most of the metagame. Fully investing in its Attack takes as much advantage of the Choice Band boost as possible. The remaining 4 EVs are either used in Defense or Special Defense, leaving Scyther with an odd HP number, which allows it to switch into Stealth Rock three times. Choice Band is a straightforward option, boosting Scyther's already high Attack; paired with U-turn, it allows Scyther to abuse the power boost without worrying about being locked in a move too early in the game.

Usage Tips
========

U-turn will be the most-used attack of Choice Band Scyther. It helps weaken opposing Pokemon in early stages of the game and keeps momentum on your side of the field. Even at times when it does not use U-turn, Scyther is best used as a hit-and-run Pokemon, as being locked in any of its moves too early in the game won't give a lot of coverage and will allow the opponent to take advantage of the situation. As Choice Band Scyther has no way of recovering on its own, having Defog or Rapid Spin support on the team is very important. Scyther has to be wary of passive damage, which is one of the best ways of rendering it useless. A combination of Stealth Rock + Rocky Helmet spells doom for Scyther; therefore, getting rid of entry hazards or the items on opposing Pokemon is vital for Scyther's longevity.

Team Options
========

Resisting most of Scyther's weaknesses and providing utility in Heal Bell and slow Volt Switches, Lanturn is a great partner for Scyther. Sandslash and Claydol are great teammates, as they offer an answer to Rock-type attacks and can also use Rapid Spin to clear the field for Scyther while also setting up their own entry hazards. Because Steel-types are the main way of stopping Scyther, powerful Fire-type wallbreakers, such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, can aid in opening sweeping opportunities for Scyther. Garbodor deserves a special mention as an entry hazard stacking-partner, as Scyther can threaten to take out opposing Psychic-types for it.

Other Options
########

Scyther can make use of a Choice Scarf set similar to the Choice Scarf set to get past faster Pokemon that otherwise threaten it. With rain teams being the most efficient weather archetype of the tier, Choice Scarf Scyther offers the advantage of outspeeding Modest Ludicolo under rain. Pursuit is an option on the Choice Band set, though the two main Ghost-types it can trap, Rotom and Mismagius, threaten Scyther right back with a Choice Scarf Thunderbolt or Will-O-Wisp. Pursuit can also be useful on slower opposing Psychic-types, such as Musharna and Uxie, if you want to dispatch of them faster. Brick Break is an option for the Eviolite Swords Dance set to allow Scyther to get past opposing Steel-types on its own.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: The Bug and Flying STAB combination is walled by Steel-types, which are usually able to hit back hard. Mawile resists both of Scyther's STAB moves, as well as its most-used coverage move, Knock Off. Defensive variants of Mawile can run Intimidate and get free turns in which to set up Stealth Rock, decreasing Scyther's longevity even more.

**Bulky Rock-types**: Pokemon such as Rhydon and Regirock can switch into Scyther without many problems and threaten to KO it with their Rock-type attacks.

**Faster Attackers**: Pokemon such as Archeops, Pyroar, Swellow, and Choice Scarf Rotom can outspeed and threaten Scyther out with their STAB moves.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom-S take minimal damage from Scyther and threaten back with status moves, such as Will-O-Wisp. Rocky Helmet Garbodor is a good answer to the U-turn spam of the Choice Band set.

**Stealth Rock**: Even if Scyther is immune to all other entry hazards, its typing makes it four times weak to Rock, therefore causing it to lose half of its HP if it switches in while Stealth Rock is up.

**Status Conditions**: Paralysis and burn put an easy stop to Scyther, significantly lowering its ability to pressure the opposing team.

Last edited by a moderator:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
ik its not completed but bulky SD should be a big mention, if not the main SD set. offensive SD is underrated but is good, too.

I also like U-turn + Aerial Ace SD sets, lets you keep momentum and set up etc, keep bug STAB for vs Malamar matchups, and gets to switch out against Mega Lix without losing momentum. I think that set is honestly the best of both worlds especially for offensive SD scyther

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Yea, agreeing with marilli. Attack investment --> HP Investment on the SD Set. It makes scyther retardedly bulky, and after a few SDs attack investment means shit all anyway :]

Because the offensive SD and bulky SD sets are very similar, I made the bulky spread the main EV spread and added a mention of the offensive option- they work the same, so I don't think it's worth having them as different sets?

Also mentioned U-turn for offensive SD Scyther in Other Options, thanks marilli :]

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just throwing out a few thoughts because i haven't used scyther extensively but still have opinions of it:

i think bulky sd should be the first set but wait for opinions on this imo

in the overview you need to talk more about what its sets accomplish. right now you're mostly listing scyther's good points like eviolite, bug stab etc but you need to include stuff like why we should be using its main stabs. for example, you could say in overview that scyther is a very good bulky setup sweeper because of x,y,z and it can also work as a physical attacker that gains momentum easily because of x,y,z

what does bug bite on the bulky sd set really accomplish? aerial ace already hits most targets hard enough and a move like knock off or u-turn has more advantages than bug bite: the former hits rotom and wears down the likes of rhydon and other flying resists not named megalix, while the latter allows scyther to pivot out of stuff midgame and still keep a bug STAB if youre afraid of malamar. i would put u-turn as the main option and maybe slash knock off, but i don't think bug bite is really as useful. in any case those two should at least be in moves :/

choice scarf is not a bad set so that deserves to be oo at the very least. a fast scarfer that outruns the whole meta, including things like modest ludicolo in rain, is really nice and you get to keep stuff like u-turn

you can lump a lot of stuff in c&c together. pyroar, swellow, archeops, and rotom can be grouped under fast attackers while you can put mega steelix under steel types. rock types should also be mentioned (eg rhydon) because they are not that uncommon and are bulky enough to wall scyther.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bowtie Addo

I agree that Swords Dance should be the first set. Mega Steelix is really goddamn annoying for it, moreso than for the Choice Band set, but it has the perk of not requiring your team to remove hazards more frequently throughout the match. And once Mega Steelix dies, it can be really difficult to stop the Swords Dance set. I've also seen many teams without Mega Steelix use no Flying resist because Mega Steelix's existence limits the presence of Flying-types a lot, so even though it might not do a lot in many matchups, it can also steamroll others.

Cut the specific stat mentions from the Overview (and the rest of the analysis). Smogon analyses have stats at the top of the page, so they're unnecessary.

When you talk about Knock Off on the Choice Band set, mention how much it helps against one of its greatest checks, Rhydon. After losing its Eviolite, it becomes really difficult for Rhydon to switch into repeated Choice Band U-turns.

Not sure how I feel about Bug Bite as the only option on the Swords Dance set. Malamar's prominence in the tier right now justifies using Bug Bite at all, but outside of hitting Malamar, it's not amazing. We should probably slash Knock Off as well.

Agreeing with adding Choice Scarf to OO. I think it's way too weak right now to warrant its own set, but it has its uses.

Do what scorpdestroyer said as well, and I'll approve this. This is a really well-written skeleton by the way. Good work.

Updated Overview with mentions to the common defensive Pokemon that it can take advantage of, and how Mega-Steelix influences Scyther's viability and matchup. Erased stats from across the analysis.
Took out Bug Bite from the SD set as I realized it's entirely outclassed, replaced with U-turn / Knock Off and explanations of how those help.
Mentioned Choice Scarf as an option and noted how it fares against arguably the best Weather archetype of the metagame.
Compressed the C&C area and added Rock types there.

This is a really well-written skeleton by the way. Good work.
Thank you. :]

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dunno how I feel about U-turn on bulky SD. it's probably ok, especially with Mega Steelix everywhere, but I haven't played with it or seen anyone play with it. lemme test it out and see how everyone else feels about it.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I feel bulky sd should also mention Baton Pass which can also pivot but without wasting SD boosts

There's pros and cons of course but thats's with almost all viable options. I just want it somewhere on the analysis

Personal experience I liked offensive with U-turn, and especially offensive SD with U-turn can fool people into thinking that you're Scarfed from the damage calculations, which can really play off of people's assumptions and boost when they aren't expecting it. People mostly expect bulky SD with no offensive investment, if not then band, and if not then scarfed.

Also if you're using Scyther as more of a bulky pivot and you sometimes have to have Scyther switch direcly into the Fighting / Dark coverage Pokemon. This happens quite a lot, if you have Scyther as your 'designated check' to those Pokemon. That basically assumes that you'll get your item knocked off somewhere along the match. If you want a pivot scyther, but you're gonna get your item knocked off, instead of going choiced going eviolite makes more sense, at least to me.

Last edited:
I changed back to Bug Bite / Knock Off for Bulky SD scyther, with a note of U-turn in the move section- also Brick Break is mentioned in OO for the SD Set as a way to get past Steel types itself, but I don't think this is worth mentioned in the actual set, as U-turn / Knock Off are generally a lot more useful.
Also added Baton Pass mention.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
doing this in class cause not much writing required I'm a bad student :(

I feel like set order for the SD set should be Swords Dance / aerial ace / Knock Off | Bug Bite / Roost. Knock before bug bite just because it at least gives it a move to hit steel types neutrally, and bug/dark hit the same types offensively anyway. plus removing items is nifty. Swords Dance first because the set is named swords dance lol.

looks really good otherwise, have fun writing.
qc 2/3

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to mention a few things before you write this up:

I'd mention Mawile in C&C as it resists Scyther's dual stab and can run intimidate on more defensive teams

Choice Scarf is honestly just as good as Choice Band, and literally runs the same moveset. Unless theres a downside I'm not seeing here, change the set name to "choice" and slash scarf (you can add a mention that knock off works better on scarf to hit scarf rotom early game).

blast edit: if Scarf gets added, it's getting a separate set because they play different roles

Remove mentions of Kabutops, i guess you can mention Claydol alongside Sandslash as a rapid spinner in TO. I'd also like to see defog mentioned somewhere as it's just as good if not better than rapid spin.

I'd change the mention of Weezing in C&C to just say physically defensive pokemon, mention weezing specifically but the list is longer than just that Granbull, Qwilfish, Miltank, Dusclops(lol), and a host of other defensive pokemon can still avoid 3hkos from non CB sets and 2hkos from cb. Also mention that CB still does a respectable chunk of damage to most of these pokemon (252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery) I'd mention Mawile in this section specifically as well, it resists Scyther's dual stab and can run intimidate on more defensive teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
Strongly disagree that Scarf is as good as Band. It's so fucking weak, and I can't really think of a good reason to use it. I'm not opposed to adding a set for Scarf because I've never used it, but it definitely should be its own set if we add one.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scarf is decent enough and I see a rise in its viability if Steelix and Heliolisk leave the tier, that being said once that is done Scarf can be written up separately from this analysis.

Make sure to expand out on C&C in write up Bowtie Addo as well as adding in Rocky Helmet somewhere in C&C as Uturning on Rocky Helmet + rocks means Scyther is down.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bowtie Addo this hasn't been written or updated at all in two weeks, you have 24 hours to reply to this and a week to finish or I'm reassigning

Aaaand done. Switched move order on SD set, mentioned Mawile, and Rotom-Fan in C&C, Claydol as a decent Rapid Spin partner, kept Scarf in OO and expanded on the usage tips, also added Rocky Helmet mentions especially for the CB set.
Phew.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Doesn't mention anything about the Choice Band set. I know it's alluded to when you talk about STAB U-turn but you still need to specify the differences between CB's role for clarity's sake
  • Mention cons of each individual set. SD is easier to wall but CB is much easier to wear down.
SD
As the Flying and Bug typing are both usually stopped by the same Pokemon, Aerial Ace is the STAB move of choice that offers staying and sweeping power once set up...
  • The bolded part isn't relevant to why Aerial Ace is being used, especially because they're both options on the set
  • You mention Rhyhorn in Moves, which should be Rhydon
  • How do Aerial Ace and Bug Bite provide staying power?
  • In Set Details I would still mention max Attack somewhere, it's still decent because it can do things like OHKO Typh at +2
CB
  • Again, "staying power" is really weird wording, just say Aerial Ace gives you a reliable Attack that doesn't force you to switch. Also you didn't mention that it hits Fighting-types and has excellent coverage in general
  • I'd probably slash Brick Break with Quick Attack rather than Knock Off, Knock + Brick Break allows you to power through Rhydon after you've removed its Eviolite
  • You really don't have to mention avoiding status in Usage Tips, it applies to almost every Pokemon in the game.
C&C
  • Don't think Fire-types are worth specific mentions, they can't switch in at all and they're all OHKOed by CB Aerial Ace after Stealth Rock. Pyroar can be mentioned with faster mons though
Also your grammar throughout the whole analysis is really clunky but I guess GP will fix that

For the record I think Scarf is worth a set too (outspeeds everything + Scarf U-turn is great) but this analysis is too far in progress so it'll probably be written up separately

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bowtie Addo

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Boasting high Attack and Speed stats, Scyther is a premier revenge killer and momentum gainer in the tier with the use of STAB U-turn. A Choice Band set takes advantage of its highest stats and increases its ability to weaken the opposing team, while keeping momentum on its side of the field. The power increase comes with a price: (colon) being that with the due to a lack of recovery, (AC) Scyther find itself easily worn down. The option to hold Eviolite also allows Scyther to be used as a bulky setup sweeper, a role that benefits from the high amount of Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-type Pokemon in the tier. The bulky variants of Scyther trade off the immediate power of a Choiced set for a reliable way of recovery. In spite of the offensive pressure that Scyther offers, its typing leaves it very weak to Stealth Rock and lets Steel-type Pokemon wall it easily, two drawbacks that should be carefully addressed when using Scyther.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Knock Off / Bug Bite
move 4: Roost
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Swords Dance is the staple move of this set, boosting Scyther's Attack to a considerable level even when uninvested. Aerial Ace is the STAB move of choice as a reliable attack once Scyther sets up, while also hitting Fighting-type Pokemon or bulky Grass-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Knock Off is a good option for early-game moments, getting rid of items from Scyther's common switch-ins and preparing the stage for a Swords Dance sweep later on. As Rhydon is one of the best switch-in to Scyther besides Steel-types, being able to get rid of its Eviolite will reduce the amount of times it will be able to come in again. Ghost-types that might may come in on predicted U-turns will also not appreciate losing their item or fainting straight out. If the previously mentioned Pokemon are not a problem for the team, Scyther can afford to use a second STAB move in Bug Bite or U-turn. Bug Bite is a Scyther's most powerful attack against opposing bulky Psychic- and Dark-type Pokemon, while U-turn allows Scyther to pivot early-game before finding the opportunity to set up. Roost ensures Scyther's longevity and allows it to set up and heal back up on weaker targets. Having reliable recovery in Roost also allows Scyther to switch in into Stealth Rocks if needed. Baton Pass merits a mention on the this set, (RC) as a way of not wasting Swords Dance boosts, in case that Scyther gets threatened out shortly after setting up.

Set Details
========

A fully invested Full Speed investment and a Jolly nature allows Scyther to outspeed most of the metagame, which aids in gaining momentum early-game and sweeping late-game. Investing in HP will increase Scyther's newly found bulk offered by Eviolite and allows it to find more opportunities to set up on defensive Pokemon. 248 HP EVs maximizes Scyther's bulk while also giving it an odd HP number, to be able to switch 3 times into Stealth Rocks. A more offensive spread of 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is also an option, offering more immediate power early-game and maximizing Scyther's damage output, ensuring an OHKO on Typhlosion after a Swords Dance boost.

Usage Tips
========

The main goal of Swords Dance Scyther is to set up and sweep; (SC) therefore it is best preserved for late-game, when its counters are either weakened or taken out. Its high Speed allows Scyther to also revenge kill during early stages of the game without getting weakened. The bulk that Eviolite offers allows Scyther to switch in more often on opposing defensive Pokemon, but it still has to be weary of Stealth Rocks that may be up on the field. While the ability to heal with Roost takes off some stress from the need of clearing the entry hazards on your side of the field, getting rid of Stealth Rock will always be favorable for Scyther. Steel-types, such as Mawile, are the go-to way of stopping Scyther, as they resist both of Scyther's STAB moves and its most used coverage move in Knock Off deals little damage. The fact that Steel-types are such a hard counter to Scyther should be taken into consideration when building around it, bringing answers to those and preserving Scyther for when they are gone is a must.

Team Options
========

Lanturn is a premier partner of Scyther as it resists 4 of 5 types to which Scyther is weak to, and in return Scyther is immune to or quad-resists Lanturn's weaknesses. Lanturn also offers utility in Heal Bell to get rid of any status condition that Scyther suffers from, alongside with a slow Volt Switch to aid Scyther's switches. Because Scyther is used here as a setup sweeper, a surefire way to get rid of opposing Steel-types is preferred. Probopass shines as an option, as it can trap and dispatch them with Earth Power. It also offers an answer to Rock- and Flying-type attacks, it can set up Stealth Rocks and can gain momentum with slow Volt Switches. Entry hazard control is not as imposed as it is with a Choice Band set, thus Scyther can be paired up with hazard removers such Cryogonal, Mantine, and Claydol, (AC) with which it has decent defensive synergy. Choice Banded Sawk can muscle through opposing Steel- and Rock-types that can stop Scyther. Fire-type wallbreakers such as are a great way to open up sweeping opportunities for Scyther.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-turn
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Quick Attack / Brick Break
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

With a Choice Band increasing Scyther's immediate power, U-turn is the staple move on this set. STAB U-turn will threaten out opposing Psychic- and Dark-types, such as Mesprit and Malamar, while also hitting hard most switch-ins hard. Aerial Ace offers the most damage output without being forced to switch out. Knock Off is just as very spammable on Scyther, allowing it to get rid of items from its switch-ins and reducing reduce their longevity. As Rhydon is one of the best switch-ins to Scyther, getting rid of its Eviolite can shorten its longevity and make it harder to take Choice Band-boosted U-turns later in the game. A Technician-boosted Quick Attack hits decently hard and it can pick off weakened Pokemon that can otherwise outspeed and KO Scyther, such as Pyroar, Swellow, and Archeops. Brick Break is an option if Scyther needs to hit opposing Steel-types.

Set Details
========

Maximizing Speed with 252 EVs and a Jolly nature allows Scyther to outpace most of the metagame. Fully investing in its Attack takes as much advantage of the Choice Band boost. The remaining 4 EVs are either used in Defense or Special Defense, leaving Scyther with an odd HP number that allows it to switch 3 times into Stealth Rocks three times. Choice Band is a straightforward option, boosting Scyther's already high Attack which paired with U-turn allows it to abuse the power boost without worrying of being locked in a move too early in the game.

Usage Tips
========

The staple move of this set, U-turn, (RC) will be the most-used attack of Choice Band Scyther. It helps weakening opposing Pokemon in early stages of the game and keeps momentum on your side of the field. Even at times when it does not use U-turn, Scyther is best used as a hit-and-run Pokemon, as being locked in any of the moves too early in the game won't give a lot of coverage and will allow the opponent to take advantage of the situation. As Choice Band Scyther has no way of recovering on its own, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very important on the team. Scyther has to be weary of passive damage, that being which is one of the best ways of rendering it useless. A combination of Stealth Rock + Rocky Helmet spells doom for Scyther, therefore getting rid of the entry hazards or the items on opposing Pokemon is vital for Scyther's longevity.

Team Options
========

Resisting most of Scyther's weaknesses and providing utility in Heal Bell and slow Volt Switches, Lanturn is a great partner for Scyther. Sandslash or Claydol are great teammates as they offer an answer to Rock-type attacks and can also use Rapid Spin away to clear the field for Scyther while also setting up their own entry hazards. Because Steel-types are the main way of stopping Scyther, powerful Fire-type wallbreakers, such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, can aid in opening sweeping opportunities for Scyther. Garbodor deserves a special mention as a hazard-stacking partner, as Scyther can threaten to take out opposing Psychic-types.

Other Options
########

Similar to the Choice Band set, Scyther can make use of Choice Scarf to get past faster Pokemon that otherwise threaten it. With rain teams being the most efficient weather archetype of the tier, Choice Scarf Scyther offers the advantage of outspeeding Modest Ludicolo under rain. Pursuit is an option on the Choice Band set, though the two main Ghost-types it can trap, Rotom and Mismagius, threaten Scyther right back with a Choice Scarf Thunderbolt or Will-O-Wisp. Pursuit can also be useful on slower opposing Psychic types, such as Musharna and Uxie, if you want to dispatch of them faster. Brick Break is an option for the Eviolite Swords Dance set to allow Scyther to get past opposing Steel-types on its own. this was already mentioned in that set though, so no real point in saying it again here Using U-turn on the Swords Dance set with an offensive EV spread is a good way to bluff a Choice Scarf and have an element of surprise when setting up late-game.

Checks & Counters
########

***Steel-types*** The Bug and Flying STAB combination is hard walled by any Steel-type, which are usually able to hit back hard. Mawile resists both of Scyther's STAB moves, and on top of that it resists the most-used coverage move of Scyther in Knock Off. Defensive variants of Mawile can run Intimidate and get free turns in which to set up Stealth Rock, decreasing Scyther's longevity even more.

***Bulky Rock-types*** Pokemon such as Rhydon and Regirock can switch into Scyther without many problems and threaten to KO with their Rock-type attacks.

***Faster Attackers*** Pokemon such as Archeops, Pyroar, Swellow, (AC) and Choice Scarf Rotom can outspeed and threaten Scyther out with their STAB moves.

***Physically Defensive Pokemon*** Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom-S Fan take minimal damage from Scyther and threaten back with status inflicting moves, such as Will-O-Wisp. Rocky Helmet Garbodor is a good answer to the U-turn spam of the Choice Band set.

***Stealth Rock*** Even if it is immune to all the other hazards, Scyther's typing makes it four times weak to Rock, therefore losing half of its HP if it switches in while Stealth Rocks are is up on your side of the field.

***Status Conditions*** Paralysis and burn put an easy stop to Scyther, significantly lowering its ability to pressure the opposing team.

1/2

Remember the hyphens before -types, and Stealth Rock with no s, and you're good! This was very well-written.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)