Charizard (QC: 0/3) (reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
+ 2 Very powerful Megas to choose from.
+ Can create mind games as to what Mega it can be.
+ Access to powerful STABs.
+ Decent Speed tier.
+ Immune to Spikes/Toxic Spikes prior to Mega Evolution to Charizard X.
+ Megas don't share many similar counters.
- Has a x4 weakness to Stealth Rock.
- Mediocre defenses prior to Mega Evolution.

Mega Charizard X
########
Name: Dragon Dance
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
Move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
Move 4: Earthquake / Roost
Ability: Blaze
Item: Charizardite X
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly

Moves
========
-Dragon Dance is the main selling point of this set. You simultaneously boost your attacking prowess and your speed to turn into a deadly sweeper.
-Flare Blitz is a very powerful STAB that's boosted by Tough Claws and deals a tons of damage to all but the bulkiest of Pokemon. Alternatively you can use Fire Punch to avoid constantly dealing damage to yourself but is far weaker.
-Dragon Claw is your second STAB that's also boosted by Tough Claws. Alternatively you can use Outrage for more power, but it's best you eliminated all opposing fairies and dragon resists before you decide to lock yourself into this move.
-Earthquake hits Heatran who otherwise walls you. It also serves as good coverage for other Pokemin that resist your STABs such as Azumarill. You can run Roost for longevity but you do lose the ability to hit Heatran who can then proceed to set up Stealth Rocks, status you, or even Roar you out losing you your boosts.

Set Details
========
-The spread is meant to maximise your attack and speed. At +1 you speed tie with positive natured max speed choice scarfed base 100s. At +2 you outspeed nearly all relevant scarfers.
-Alternatively you can run a bulky Dragon Dance set with an EV spread of 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe and an Adamant Nature. This spread allows you to avoid the 2HKO from Rotom-W Hydro Pump while maximizing your attacking power. If you choose this spread it's recommended you always have Roost for longevity.

Usage Tips
========
-It's important you keep Stealth Rocks off the field as Charizard doesn't appreciate switching into them.
-Use as a mid/late game sweeper after its checks and counters have been heavily weakened or even taken out.
-Charizard really appreciates hazard support to help grab extra KOs.
-In general only set up on something that can't touch you such as Skamory lacking Whirlwind/Roar.

Team Options
========
-Sticky Web users such as Necturna help slow down faster grounded threats.
-A spinner/defogger to help remove Stealth Rocks is always appreciated.
-If lacking Earthquake mons that deal with Heatran and such help aid for a Charizard sweep.
-Gothitelle traps annoying defensive mon such as Slowbro.

Mega Charizard X
########
Name: Bulky Zard X
Move 1: Will-O-Wisp
Move 2: Roost
Move 3: Dragon Claw
Move 4: Earthquake / Fire Punch
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Careful

Moves
========
-Will-O-Wisp to burn common switch-ins such as Azumarill
-Roost for longevity
-Dragon Claw as your main STAB Choice
-Earthquake to hit Heatran
-Fire Punch as a secondary STAB if you aren't concerned about Heatran.

Set Details
========
-248 EVs gives you an odd HP number reducing Stealth Rock damage allowing Charizard to switch in on Stealth Rock a little more.
-EVs allow you to live 2 Krilowatt Earth Powers and take other special hits better.

Usage Tips
========
-This Charizard set plays more of a Pivot than a sweeper.
-It lures in Physical defensive counters and can spread burns on the switch.
-It can tank some hits and wear down the opposing team with burns and powerful Dragon Claws/Earthquakes

Team Options
========
-Pokemon that can get rid of hazards such as Excadrill who can spin rocks away or the Lati's who can defog them away make good teammates.
-Landorus-T/I and Colossoil can cover for Charizard's rock and ground weakness with the latter being able to spin away hazards.
-Rotom-W can check bulky Water and Ground types and can check some Pokemon Charizard can't beat on it's own such as Heatran if Charizard is lacking Earthquake.
-Cyclohm is another good teammate that can handle bulky Water types Charizard doesn't like dealing with.

Mega Charizard X
========
Name: Bulky Dragon Dance
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Dragon Claw
Move 3: Fire Punch / Earthquake
Move 4: Roost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Careful

Moves
========
-Dragon Claw is your main STAB that doesn't lock you into a move.
-Earthquake is to hit Heatran who otherwise can wall you.
-Fire Punch can also be used as it hits Skarmory who walls you and provides a secondary STAB option.
-Roost for longevity.

Set Details
========
-EVs are to live two Earth Powers from offensive Krilowatt and to take other special hits better.
-248 EVs in HP reduces Stealth Rock damage.
-8 Spe EVs allows you to outspeed positive nature base 111's after one Dragon Dance.

Usage Tips
========
-An excellent late game sweeper once checks / counters are removed or severely weakened
-With the bulk investment Charizard can set up on more pokemon while using Roost to heal back up.

Team Options
========
-Pokemon that can remove hazards make great teammates such as Tomohawk and Skarmory who both draw in pokemon Charizard can set up on.
-Rotom-W makes a great partner as it handles Skarmory and Heatran who walls Charizard if you lack a move to hit either one effectively.

Mega Charizard Y
########
Name: Drought Wallbreaker
Move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Move 2: Solar Beam
Move 3: Focus Blast / Earthquake
Move 4: Roost / Focus Blast / Earthquake
Item: Charizardite Y
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Modest

Moves
========
-Fire Blast hits extremely hard under the sun allowing very little to easily switch in on it. Alternatively you can opt for Flamethrower if you prefer to accuracy over power.
-Solar Beam takes full advantage of Charizard's ability giving you a powerful move to hit bulky water types such as Azumarill.
-Focus Blast hits Heatran very hard who otherwise walls you. If your team can handle Heatran well you can run Dragon Pulse to hit Dragon types on the switch or you can use Ancient Power to hit other Charizard Y and Talonflame with the latter being able to revenge kill you with priority. Earthquake is to hit Heatran harder than Focus Blast and is more accurate as Heatran call wall any other move you have.
-Roost is for longevity.

Set Details
========
-This set EVs is to maximize your speed and power. A Modest nature is preferred to further your wallbreaking abilities. You can run Timid for more speed, but in most cases you'll prefer that extra power over the speed. Solar Power is superior over Blaze for this set because you gain a Sp.A boost from opposing Charizard Y's Sun if you don't desire to mega right away.
-If you're running Earthquake than a spread of 16 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe with a Mild/Rash Nature allows you to always deal more damage to Heatran with Earthquake than Focus Blast.

Usage Tips
========
-Charizard's purpose is to completely destroy things. It can work at nearly any point of the game, but it shines mid-late game. Charizard has decent bulk and come in on attacks such as Bullet Punches, Scalds, Moonblasts, Lava Plumes, and other things thanks to its decent bulk.
-You should try to Mega Evolve as early as possible for that extra power and bulk.

Team Options
========
-Charizard fits well on balanced and offensive teams as they appreciate Charizard's great ability to wallbreak with powerful moves.
-Spinners/Defoggers make great partners as Charizard hates taking Stealth Rock damage. Colossoil makes a great partner because it can hit Mollux if you don't have any way to hit it hard.
-Hazard stacking pokemon such as Ferrothorn make good pokemon to add on extra damage to further Charizardd's wallbreaking capabilities.
-Depending on your choice of moves, Pokemon that handle other Pokemon that Charizard can't hit effectively make good teammates. Keldeo makes a great partner if you're not carrying Focus Blast as it serves as a check to Heatran.
-Ferrothorn has good balanced synergy with Charizard as they can come in on each other's weakness with the former being able to set up hazards and the latter applying offensive pressure
-Pokemon with access to Knock Off make good partners because they can knock off Chansey's eviolite who pretty much walls everything Charizard throws at it.

Other Options
########
-If running Charizard X you can run a defensive spread with Will-O-Wisp to be a Pivot than a sweeper.
-Charizard does gain access to other boosting moves such as Swords Dance and Belly Drum. If running either of these over Dragon Dance you should always run Jolly for the extra speed and have Sticky Web support as Base 100 speed is not as great anymore.
-Charizard has other methods of boosting its speed. You can run Flame Charge to deal damage and boost your speed or run Tailwind to boost your entire team's speed.
-You can go Mixed Charizard Y with 252 Atk to get past some dedicated Special walls such as Chansey who is 2HKO by a sun boosted Flare Blitz.
-Charizard X can run Swords Dance + Tailwind to boost it's attack quicker and boost it's entire team's speed.
-Charizard Y can run Ancient Power to hit opposing Charizard Y or Talonflame or run Dragon Pulse to hit Dragons.

Checks and Counters
########
-Bulky Defensive Pokemon: Pokemon such as Defensive landorus-T can take a hit from Charizard X and deal massive damage with Earthquake/Stone Edge
-Tomohawk: Tomohawk can check Charizard X as it gain access to Haze eliminating your boosts, Reflect reducing the damage you do, and has Intimidate although It's far inferior to Prankster.
-Unaware: Pokemon with Unaware don't mind Charizard X setting up and can proceed to Toxic stalling you or phase you out.
-Heatran: If either Charizard X or Y lack a move to effectively hit Heatran then Heatran call wall you and proceed to do various things.
-Chansey: Chansey completely walls Charizard Y. It can also be problematic for Charizard X because it does get access to Thunder Wave.
-Fast pokemon: Faster pokemon with a base speed of 100 and higher can outspeed either Charizard and KO with the appropriate move. Scarfed base 100 or higher can still outspeed/speed tie with Charizard at +1 speed.

Last edited:
Blaze is far better than Solar Power on Char Y as Charizard is going to be megavolving anyway and Solar Power means it loses 1/8th of its health for essentially nothing. You get a little power boost, but its not worth not megavolving. I would recommend replacing Solar Power completely, but I guess you could put it as a secondary slash.

I would give WoW Zard X its own set, and maybe Bulky DD too. In addition, I'm not sure about the movesets. I'm pretty sure there are sets which don't run Fire STAB, and have Dragon STAB + EQ + DD + Roost, so you might want to make some changes to that, especially considering how popular Heatran is these days. Zard Y is in a similar poisition, because I'm pretty sure Roost isn't mandatory on it as suggested by the current set, as well as possibly having EVs for the mixed set with EQ. In C&C, Intimihawk reference should be either removed or have some mention of Intimidate's complete inferiority to Prankster Tomo. Lastly, references to Hippowdon and Garchomp, which have very small usage in CAP, should be removed.

I know this is still a WIP, but just a few things I thought could be improved. Please note that I don't often use the Zards and that the QCers should probably decide whether or not my concerns about the sets are valid, because some of them are debatable.

Blaze is far better than Solar Power on Char Y as Charizard is going to be megavolving anyway and Solar Power means it loses 1/8th of its health for essentially nothing. You get a little power boost, but its not worth not megavolving. I would recommend replacing Solar Power completely, but I guess you could put it as a secondary slash.

I would give WoW Zard X its own set, and maybe Bulky DD too. In addition, I'm not sure about the movesets. I'm pretty sure there are sets which don't run Fire STAB, and have Dragon STAB + EQ + DD + Roost, so you might want to make some changes to that, especially considering how popular Heatran is these days. Zard Y is in a similar poisition, because I'm pretty sure Roost isn't mandatory on it as suggested by the current set, as well as possibly having EVs for the mixed set with EQ. In C&C, Intimihawk reference should be either removed or have some mention of Intimidate's complete inferiority to Prankster Tomo. Lastly, references to Hippowdon and Garchomp, which have very small usage in CAP, should be removed.

I know this is still a WIP, but just a few things I thought could be improved. Please note that I don't often use the Zards and that the QCers should probably decide whether or not my concerns about the sets are valid, because some of them are debatable.
Thanks for the feedback!

-I gave the blaze over solar power more thought shortly after I had posted the thread actually but wanted to here more opinions on it before I changed it.
-I was debating myself for about an hour on if Bulky DD and Will-O-Wisp sets should have their own sets in the analysis. I just waited to hear some opinions on it.
-I'm actually not sure what EVs Mixed Zard Y runs. I was going to research that either today or tomorrow. I just wanted to at least mention about it in the analysis.
-I was just about to add a mention to Intimidate's inferiority to Prankster before I seen your post. I could've sworn I done it when I posted it. Guess not.

EDIT: Made some quick changes. I don't see where I mentioned anything about Garchomp however. Still looking for it.

2ND EDIT: My choice of words might not be the best so if anything could use re-wording It'll ne awesome if you guys inform me about it.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll wait until you have added in a bit more of what you talked about above before too much commenting, but a quick thing I noticed was your description of Earthquake on the Mega Y set. While I by no means think it is not a good move to consider, I would recommend changing the mention of Mollux to Heatran. Heatran can wall any other move you have, while Mollux, thanks to Dry Skin, will often be KOd just as quickly by Fire Blast as by EQ. That is, of course, set dependent, but honestly, most of the time Char Y can take out Mollux without the need for EQ. That's not to say EQ doesn't help. Being able to get more damage always helps, and if you do run it, it would be your move of choice against Mollux. But, unless you have another reason to run EQ, you probably are better off without it. Heatran should be that reason.

Replaced mentions of Mollux with Heatran. I couldn't find a spread but I fooled around with the calc and found Mild/Rash Charizard with 16 Atk EVs. With that even the lowest possible roll you can get with Earthquake deals more damage than the highest possible roll you can get with Modest 252 SpA Focus Blast. (Assuming Sp.Def Heatran)

16 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 292-344 (75.8 - 89.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 244-288 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

EDIT: Reworded bits and pieces. Adding Bulky DD and Will-o-Wisp sets tomorrow.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There should probably be a mention of mixed Charizard Y in Other Options, with 252 attack it can muscle past some dedicated special walls with Sun boosted Flare Blitz, most notably 2HKOing Chansey. There should also be a mention of Tailwind in Other Options, as it lets Charizard outspeed the entire metagame. Its probably just as effective as Dragon Dance on the Charizard Y, as you trade the limited time span for the ability to boost your entire teams speed. In that vein, Flame Charge is superior to Dragon Dance on Charizard Y as it actually does damage, and Charizard Y doesn't really use the attack boost Dragon Dance provides. Swords Dance + Tailwind is also a usable set on Charizard X, and should be at least in Other Options.

There should probably be a mention of mixed Charizard Y in Other Options, with 252 attack it can muscle past some dedicated special walls with Sun boosted Flare Blitz, most notably 2HKOing Chansey. There should also be a mention of Tailwind in Other Options, as it lets Charizard outspeed the entire metagame. Its probably just as effective as Dragon Dance on the Charizard Y, as you trade the limited time span for the ability to boost your entire teams speed. In that vein, Flame Charge is superior to Dragon Dance on Charizard Y as it actually does damage, and Charizard Y doesn't really use the attack boost Dragon Dance provides. Swords Dance + Tailwind is also a usable set on Charizard X, and should be at least in Other Options.
Oh wow, I didn't know it can 2HKO Chansey. (I assume you mean unboosted) I will add a mention of Tailwind (surprised I didn't, I guess it was one of the things I was thinking about as I typed it but never actually put it in) and mixed Charizard Y.

EDIT: Slashed Focus Blast, Dragon Pulse, Ancient Power, and Earthquake over Roost as Roost is not a required move. Added mention of Cbrevan's suggestion. Still working on Bulky DD and Will-O-Wisp sets.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For a WIP this seems to be progressing nicely. Personally, I'd like to see a Bulky WoW Zard X set (I saw this in OO, but I think it's significant enough for a whole set).

I would add defog in other options. It's a good support move in general. it especially helps in this case because char y can beat up steel/rock/ground types anyway.
(I never actually used charizard before so this is just an assumption, I would ask someone else if it's a good idea before you add it.)

Defog Charizard seems kinda more like a Monotype thing, for Fire mono teams that are desperate to getting rid of rocks. Char has a 4x weakness to SR in its pre-evo and Y forms, and a 2x weakness in its X form, so a Defog Char seems kinda... bad.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I feel like their is way too many slashes on the Mega Zard Y set; Dragon Pulse and Ancient Power is pretty niche moves to run on it anyways, so I'd drop them to OO. Make Bulky Zard X an actual set rather than in OO bcuz it's very good in the CAP metagame. Other than that, this is looking really nice

Defog Charizard seems kinda more like a Monotype thing, for Fire mono teams that are desperate to getting rid of rocks. Char has a 4x weakness to SR in its pre-evo and Y forms, and a 2x weakness in its X form, so a Defog Char seems kinda... bad.
I'm leaning more towards this when it comes to Defog Charizard and I'm very hesitant on adding it in. :x

Working on Bulky Zard X rn. I should be finished within the hour of this post. Thanks for all feedback so far everyone.

EDIT: Added Bulky DD and Bulky Will-O-Wisp however I gtg earlier than I thought so I didn't write out a full analysis on Bulky DD but I added it in there because I wanted to get it out there. Feedback is appreciated. Will finish it up/make appropriate changes when I get home and we'll be QC ready. :]

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It's looking as if you've ripped a lot of EVs from the damage calculator sets. While this isn't necessarily bad, factoring in CAP specific threats might be a better way around things.

252 SpA Life Orb Krilowatt Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 151-179 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(151, 153, 156, 156, 159, 161, 161, 164, 166, 166, 169, 172, 172, 174, 177, 179)

252+ SpA Volkraken Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 158-188 (44 - 52.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
(158, 160, 162, 164, 166, 168, 170, 172, 174, 176, 178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 188)

252+ SpA Plasmanta Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 138-163 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(138, 139, 141, 142, 145, 147, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 160, 163)

252+ SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 138-163 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(138, 139, 141, 142, 145, 147, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 160, 163)

8 SpA Cyclohm Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 164-194 (45.6 - 54%) -- 41.4% chance to 2HKO
(164, 164, 168, 170, 170, 174, 176, 176, 180, 182, 182, 186, 188, 188, 192, 194)

It appears that bulky zard X greatly appreciates max sp def in order to take on many of the special attackers in CAP. In particular, anything less than 248 HP / 252 Sp Def Careful will not guarantee that Krilowatt cannot 2HKO with Earth Power. With only 8 speed EVs, after once dragon dance Char X will still outspeed base 110s and 111s with positive natures. While I'm not saying this is the best set, I'm saying it's something that could use some simulator testing as it seems to be built more for the CAP meta than the EVs you have listed. Also, feel free to play around with sparktrain 's CAP EV calculator at: http://sparktrain.github.io/

It's looking as if you've ripped a lot of EVs from the damage calculator sets. While this isn't necessarily bad, factoring in CAP specific threats might be a better way around things.

252 SpA Life Orb Krilowatt Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 151-179 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(151, 153, 156, 156, 159, 161, 161, 164, 166, 166, 169, 172, 172, 174, 177, 179)

252+ SpA Volkraken Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 158-188 (44 - 52.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
(158, 160, 162, 164, 166, 168, 170, 172, 174, 176, 178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 188)

252+ SpA Plasmanta Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 138-163 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 138-163 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

8 SpA Cyclohm Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 164-194 (45.6 - 54%) -- 41.4% chance to 2HKO
(164, 164, 168, 170, 170, 174, 176, 176, 180, 182, 182, 186, 188, 188, 192, 194)

It appears that bulky zard X greatly appreciates max sp def in order to take on many of the special attackers in CAP. In particular, anything less than 248 HP / 252 Sp Def Careful will not guarantee that Krilowatt cannot 2HKO with Earth Power. With only 8 speed EVs, after once dragon dance Char X will still outspeed base 110s and 111s with positive natures. While I'm not saying this is the best set, I'm saying it's something that could use some simulator testing as it seems to be built more for the CAP meta than the EVs you have listed. Also, feel free to play around with sparktrain 's CAP EV calculator at: http://sparktrain.github.io/
I didn't steal them from the calculator, but after checking the calculator right after seeing this I see how the spreads are the same lol. The spread is definitely better than what I have right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)