Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

Ok i know you have the staraptor for the HP check. but why not have it for the HP and the speed check if you are trying to catch a pokemon with an ability that shows before battle?
Get the staraptor or staravia to one speed point below the legendary, and if the legendaries ability activates first (like desolate land) then proceed with the battle. Then you can use final gambit for the HP IV check.

This is especially useful if you are just going to masterball it anyways.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Ok i know you have the staraptor for the HP check. but why not have it for the HP and the speed check if you are trying to catch a pokemon with an ability that shows before battle?
Get the staraptor or staravia to one speed point below the legendary, and if the legendaries ability activates first (like desolate land) then proceed with the battle. Then you can use final gambit for the HP IV check.

This is especially useful if you are just going to masterball it anyways.
Master Ball is lame (on most of the Pokémon), so that's why I wrote this guide. And that doesn't work, because if you use Staraptor to check both HP and Speed, you'll have a very high risk of taking damage, which'll cause the HP check to fail completely. With Registeel it's only 25%, but with Dialga you're 100% sure of taking damage.

any advice on how to stay sane whilst going through the endless cut scene to get lati@s? also are kyogre, groudon, rayquaza and deoxys shiny locked?

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
any advice on how to stay sane whilst going through the endless cut scene to get lati@s? also are kyogre, groudon, rayquaza and deoxys shiny locked?
Yes, I listed that for every Pokémon in this thread.......

And you probably only want to reset for the Eon Ticket Lati@s since those can be in fancy Pokéballs.

Yes, I listed that for every Pokémon in this thread.......

And you probably only want to reset for the Eon Ticket Lati@s since those can be in fancy Pokéballs.
oh yeah, sorry I derped there, I would just SR for Eon Ticket Latias, but I don't have Omega Ruby, so I have no other way of getting a Latias with good IVs without going through the endless torture that is the cutscene, so many max attack latias', so many...

Master Ball is lame (on most of the Pokémon), so that's why I wrote this guide. And that doesn't work, because if you use Staraptor to check both HP and Speed, you'll have a very high risk of taking damage, which'll cause the HP check to fail completely. With Registeel it's only 25%, but with Dialga you're 100% sure of taking damage.
oooh okay, i see where i went wrong. Thank you for clarifying that.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My advice would be to sit down, and watch a movie (or fifty) while doing it. Keeps you from focusing solely on cutscene, and once you get the hang of multi-tasking both, makes it much more bearable.

Just wanted to highlight also the (somewhat low) possibility of a speed tie when checking for Speed. Personal example: +Speed Rayquaza at Level 70 with 29 Speed IV speed ties the listed Sableye spread (both are 173 Speed). Perhaps the FAQ in opening post may want to highlight this?

I just finished a Bold Cresselia with 30/31 in all but attack which conveniently is 2 or 3, in like 30 resets, so I thought I add my method.
I needed to make things a bit different because Crescent Isle came unfortunately at a very silly time and I didn´t want to waste the chance.
lead: Level 97 Xatu@Macho Brace with 209 Speed/ Night Shade + Thunder Wave
Night Shade indeed left Cresselia in the green range whenever it had the desired 195 HP and went to yellow when it had ≤194 HP.
This way soft resetting was super fast, as this made Speed and HP check possible at turn 1.

To improve the strategy and get around the annoying catch rate I added Truant Durant @ Power Item/ 212 Speed to entrain Cresselia and check for higher Speed/ undesired +Speed natures.
The low damage output of Cresselia vs Steel types makes it very easy to calculate the range of SpA and reset if it is too low.

Now I celebrate my Heal Ball Cresselia for a bit and expand on the last point later :)

I forgot to post the results of my testing on SR thundurus so here it goes.

After testing both SR methods for Thundurus...I have concluded with help of aus_pokedad that Sableye is way better. Besides the possible turn 1 hp&speed check, Sableye is 40% faster on the Reset than Staraptor+Smeargle.

The sableye I used had this Moves: Pain Split, Taunt, Night Shade, Psych Up and had a lum berry attached.

Psych Up is a back up move you can use if you for some reason missed the speed check and thundurus used Agility.

There's an explanation on how to use this set in the previous page.

Hope this helps(maybe add it to the OP?), if you are lucky you'll find yourself resetting on turn one with Sableye most of the time, making things faster.
-----------

For Tornadus Sableye is inferior to Staraptor+Smeargle because Tornadus only has one status move.

Hey, I think there is a flaw in this. I used a Natu I bred that has 0 speed IVs with a Timid nature, gave it a Power item, and caught Latios, but while it is Timid, it has only 80 Speed.
EDIT: Speed wasn't right, currently EV training the Natu.

Last edited:
I noticed on a lot of your suggested sets for Smeargle, you alternate between Spore and Dark Void (Virizion, because its immune to Spore).

Honestly, I would run:

Smeargle @ Leftovers
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Speed

- False Swipe / Topsy-Turvy
- Spore
- Soak
- Gastro Acid

Soak eliminates all need for the less reliable Dark Void, and allows you to Spore Virizion and False Swipe Giratina (And is so useful if you've ever tried to catch a Pumpkaboo or Trevenant). It also makes False Swiping things like Cobalion and Registeel much easier. Soak also eliminates STAB for pretty much every legendary; lessening the damage you take and turns spent healing.
Gastro Acid eliminates Pressure from eating your PP. Topsy-Turvy could be used if you're using Final Gambit; makes sure SD Terrakion doesn't sweep you while you catch it, etc.
Recover shouldn't be needed at all, just use curative items like Hyper Potions.

Anyway, going for Suicune: should I breed Staraptor myself or do people give these out? Not afraid of doing my own legwork for Suicune. I gave up on Terrakion though, fuck that I'll use Mienshao. :P
Though it'd be a lot easier if I had moar master ballz.

For Suicune, EV your Final Gambit user to have 106 speed (that's 1 more than neutral natured Suicune). That way you won't get trolled by +Speed natures when your second Pokemon has 104 speed.

Also, in ORAS Primape is a viable substitute for Final Gambit Staraptor, as Mankey is easily found in the Jagged Pass, and it has a lower speed in case Staraptor is too fast to do a +1 check.

I found a very efficient way in using Speed O-Power for Pokemon with notify abilities.

this is how it works in game(example):
fainted synch in slot 1, Staraptor in slot 2, activate Speed Power 1, Capture Power 3, start the battle
you use a Staraptor with 131 speed against a Palkia with desired 132 speed.
match starts, abilities show (if your ability goes first reset)
turn starts and you get the speed boost in the same turn (unlike for example tailwind/megaevolution mechanics)
now Staraptor is always on max HP because it has +1 speed (if target faints, reset)
might matter for those Pokemon where you have little space in your team
pro move should be Synchronizer with one under speed and Pain Split to get all utility into one slot (frees up a slot for my beloved Entrainment Durant)?!

PS: Just confirmed 31/(3,4)/31/31/31/31 Bold Cresselia, so whomever was still going for it, can as well clone mine, if desired.

I found a very efficient way in using Speed O-Power for Pokemon with notify abilities.

this is how it works in game(example):
fainted synch in slot 1, Staraptor in slot 2, activate Speed Power 1, Capture Power 3, start the battle
you use a Staraptor with 131 speed against a Palkia with desired 132 speed.
match starts, abilities show (if your ability goes first reset)
turn starts and you get the speed boost in the same turn (unlike for example tailwind/megaevolution mechanics)
now Staraptor is always on max HP because it has +1 speed (if target faints, reset)
might matter for those Pokemon where you have little space in your team
pro move should be Synchronizer with one under speed and Pain Split to get all utility into one slot (frees up a slot for my beloved Entrainment Durant)?!

PS: Just confirmed 31/(3,4)/31/31/31/31 Bold Cresselia, so whomever was still going for it, can as well clone mine, if desired.
Wow that's amazing I will try it out. You will need Intimidate Staraptor and it only works for pokemon with abilities like pressure or teravolt etc, but still really useful.

Wow that's amazing I will try it out. You will need Intimidate Staraptor and it only works for pokemon with abilities like pressure or teravolt etc, but still really useful.
That´s right, you need Intimidate for this to work against those specific Pokemon.
Luckily the Pokemon that require a lot of fixed team members have such abilities and for the others we have two other great methods :]

Btw the cost for activating both O-Powers is 9, which means you need quite some time to regenerate those.
Maximum Regeneration level is recommended if you want to reset without a break, this requires a walk in the park or driving to university/school and back in standby mode.
Otherwise you can activate the Capture Power after saving but need to do that every time instead... wouldn´t recommend that tbh.

That´s right, you need Intimidate for this to work against those specific Pokemon.
Luckily the Pokemon that require a lot of fixed team members have such abilities and for the others we have two other great methods :]

Btw the cost for activating both O-Powers is 9, which means you need quite some time to regenerate those.
Maximum Regeneration level is recommended if you want to reset without a break, this requires a walk in the park or driving to university/school and back in standby mode.
Otherwise you can activate the Capture Power after saving but need to do that every time instead... wouldn´t recommend that tbh.
Um what? When you soft reset you regain all the o-power. In fact activating an o-power and then saving will consume your opower and you will have to wait for it to regenerate.

On the other hand, KOing the Eon Ticket Lati@s will allow you to rebattle it with a new set of IVs. Does anyone know if this works for mirage spot Pokemon?

On the other hand, KOing the Eon Ticket Lati@s will allow you to rebattle it with a new set of IVs. Does anyone know if this works for mirage spot Pokemon?
Is that right away, or do you have to beat the Elite Four again to make it appear again? All the legendary Pokemon the story doesn't force you to catch (Xerneas/Yveltal/Rayquaza) will not be available to try and catch again immediately if you accidentally KO them, you have to beat the Elite Four to make them reappear. (the ones the game does force you to catch respawn immediately, which would be recommended for Xerneas/Yveltal so you can save right in front of them)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Couldn't you just use a Choice Scarf on your Final Gambit 'mon to get the same result? Have its speed stat one less than the legend would make the ability message go second but the Scarf would let it move first, no?

Is that right away, or do you have to beat the Elite Four again to make it appear again? All the legendary Pokemon the story doesn't force you to catch (Xerneas/Yveltal/Rayquaza) will not be available to try and catch again immediately if you accidentally KO them, you have to beat the Elite Four to make them reappear. (the ones the game does force you to catch respawn immediately, which would be recommended for Xerneas/Yveltal so you can save right in front of them)
I've been SR-ing for Latios for a few days now. If I KO it, Latios reappears and "looks at you intently." When I re-battle it, sometimes Natu goes first when it went second before, and Night Shade doesn't KO when it did KO before. I haven't tried this with other mirage spot Pokemon though, so it might be unique to Eon Ticket Lati@s.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mirage Spot 'mons respawn after beating the E4, not right away afaik. But yeah, their IVs / nature are all decided when you interact with them, so they're different each time. I know it's the same for Rayquaza as sometimes I would KO it with Final Gambit, it would then come back and Zinnia would say 'you have to catch it' and then it would survive the second time. So no, it's not unique to Eon Ticket Lati@s...

I've been SR-ing for Latios for a few days now. If I KO it, Latios reappears and "looks at you intently." When I re-battle it, sometimes Natu goes first when it went second before, and Night Shade doesn't KO when it did KO before. I haven't tried this with other mirage spot Pokemon though, so it might be unique to Eon Ticket Lati@s.
It's basically the same as the forced captures. The others will require you to beat the Elite Four again if KOed by accident. (or the first time with Groudon/Kyogre and Deoxys, though they don't come out of mysterious rings)

Couldn't you just use a Choice Scarf on your Final Gambit 'mon to get the same result? Have its speed stat one less than the legend would make the ability message go second but the Scarf would let it move first, no?
No. The choice scarf will affect the triggering of the abilities the same way it affects switching etc.

Mirage Spot 'mons respawn after beating the E4, not right away afaik. But yeah, their IVs / nature are all decided when you interact with them, so they're different each time. I know it's the same for Rayquaza as sometimes I would KO it with Final Gambit, it would then come back and Zinnia would say 'you have to catch it' and then it would survive the second time. So no, it's not unique to Eon Ticket Lati@s...
Some pokemon reappear once you leave and re-enter the area. For example if you KO landorus (appears in a thundercloud soaring the sky) then land and soar again the Cloud will appear again and you will bea able to battle Landorus again, same for the other genies and the Creation trio. I think the ones that re-appear after beating the Elite four are the ones with the interactable portals/rings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)