XY OU By the skin of my teeth (my second RMT)

Hi All,

So this is my second RMT. My first one was this.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/megazard-y-team-no-legendaries.3517106/#post-5722313

And it was really bad. However, after countless losses, reading up various playstyles etc. I finally think I might have figured this thing out a bit.

I've opted not to use legendaries, which was a restriction I had on the first team, but everything else is game.

I still wanted to build around CharY, but I hated the very vanilla teams I saw. It always seemed like Lando, Keldeo, Ttar and Bisharp were always teamed with him. I wanted to stay away from that and try a different archetype for a CharY team. From everything I've read, FWG, SFD is a pretty solid foundation to use in teambuilding. From there, a conscious decision was made to do everything in my power to wear the opponent down in range for CharY to nuke them, thus slightly altering his role from Pure Wallbreaker to Wall Breaker/Psuedo Sweeper.

Here is the team.

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

The obvious starter to the team. I totally admit I'm one of those crappy genwunners who love Zard to the max. I actually quit Pokemon when Stealth Rocks was introduced and made Char damn near unplayable and didn't come back until late Gen 5 when Solar Power gave CharY a fighting chance in OU. As for the load, it's pretty vanilla. I opted for Modest over Timid for the extra firepower. With some residual damage, Modest helps secure the 2hko on pretty much the whole tier.This means the only safe switch ins in OU are things like the blobs and Heatran. Everything else that's common is really uncomfortable coming in.

Chesnaught (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed

Next up is Chesnaught. The synergy between the two is amazing. Ches takes every single one of Chars weakness' and turns them into a resistance. Not only that, but he beats every other weather setter 1v1 and checks mons that Char cannot handle like Scarf Lando and Mega Gyrados. Drain Punch is for recovery while Wood Hammer is there to prevent free turns for things like Azumarill and Mega Sableye. Leech Seed helps wear mons down and spikes is almost mandatory because free damage is always good.

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Rest

Aegislashs (RIP) younger sister, Doublade is here to provide much needed birdspam resistance, bar Tflame, as well as check things like Mega Gard. Sacred Sword is to troll/lure Pursuit trappers and KO them. Helps out with all of Chesnaughts weakness' minus fire and thanks to spreading toxic, forces a lot of switches. Has favorable matchups on all the common OU spinners so he's a great spinblocker, and while he isn't beating most of them or Defoggers 1v1, bothers them enough for the team to take advantage.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin

My answer to stealth rocks and fire types, all in one. I cannot tell you how much I adore reflect type Starmie. He lures all his common counters and absolutely shits on them, which means he ensures he can stay alive as long as possible to keep those nasty SR off Zard. Thanks to natural cure, he is also a great pivot for times I think status is incoming. All in all, helps ease prediction a lot and defensively rounds out a nice FWG for me.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

That's right. That's Clefable. Giving opponents the finger. I needed someone who could setup rocks and the more I looked around the more obvious it was Clefable was the best option. Fairy/Fire offers great coverage, and while I don't expect KOs from her, helping wear things down for Zard is always appreciated. Even though there are times I wish I would have gone with Unaware for the ability to better check MegaSableye, being able to have someone else on the team absorb status and pivot without worrying about residual damage is too good not to have.

Haxorus (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
- Taunt
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

The team needed a bit more offense and a better check for MSableye and Rotom than what I already had and frankly, nothing fit the Mold (ha pun) better than Haxorus. Taunt Mold Breaker is a god send and after 1DD this guy turns into a frightening monster. He and CharY swap off on team busting and between the two, not much is gonna stick around for long.

So that's the team. Pretty bare bones description, I know. The team sort of speaks for itself.

Some threats to the team I've noticed off the bat are Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Lando, Tflame and Mamoswine. I'm sure I'm missing others. While I don't have direct switchins to those threats, my team has checks and at full health, can handle hits from them and proceed to KO back. That was the inspiration for the team name. Most of my matches are won by the skin of my teeth, taking a hit, barely surviving then taking everything out afterward.

Thanks for reading. Please let me know what you think and offer any changes you think would work but please keep in mind I would prefer not to use legendaries so I can run this team on cartridge. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, i noticed your team has a couple weaknesses:
charizard x - the biggest one, you dont have any answer to that
gengar - the sludge wave wariants may do a lot of damage to your team, nothing can take shadow ball + sludge wave combination
talonflame - both banded and sd sets can sweep your team
changes i suggest
drop:
haxorus
add:
scarf tyranitar (pursuit trapper)
not only it helps with these weaknesses also provides ability to pursuit trap lati@s which charizard will benifit from.

gengar - the sludge wave wariants may do a lot of damage to your team, nothing can take shadow ball + sludge wave combination
changes i suggest
drop:
haxorus
add:
not only it helps with these weaknesses also provides ability to pursuit trap lati@s which charizard will benifit from.

Gengar isn't as big a problem as you say it is. Starmie outspeeds and OHKOs with Psyshock. The others seem to be problematic but an easy way to deal with set up sweepers is unaware clefable. Zard X cannot touch it and Talonflame will have a bit of a problem with it. Actually the best bet against all three "threats" mentioned is scarfed lando-t. It outspeeds Zard-X even at +1 and can OHKO with eq. Knock off beats gengar and rock slide takes Talonflame out of the picture.
Another change I would recommend is using Rotom-W instead of doublade. It's a better birdspam check overall and can OHKO Smogon bird in return. Also if you switch haxorus for lando-t, it forms a nice volt-turn core which allows you to bring your sweepers in easily.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability : Levitate
EVs 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This set lets you outspeed Jolly max speed Azumarill and burn it.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

Hope I helped :)

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 207-243 (64.8 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
amazing counter.
mega charizard x beats
clefable even when its unawere
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
clefble isnt a counter to talonflame either
sd talonflame can taunt you while it cant do anything back
banded talonflame:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - you cant switch in
btw if you remove doublade for rotom-w you have no switch ins for mega gardevoir

Last edited:
changes i suggest
drop:
haxorus
add:
Thanks for the rate.

With the exception of gengar (some double switching and prediction lets full health doublade tank a shadow ball and 1hko with gyroball) the other threats you mentioned definitely screw me up, especially if i didn't get SR down. I had wanted to avoid using TTar, but he would definitely patch all of those issues up. My only fear then becomes Rotom-W annoying the shit out of my team and MSableye becoming even more threatening If I swap out Haxorus

Gengar isn't as big a problem as you say it is. Starmie outspeeds and OHKOs with Psyshock. The others seem to be problematic but an easy way to deal with set up sweepers is unaware clefable. Zard X cannot touch it and Talonflame will have a bit of a problem with it. Actually the best bet against all three "threats" mentioned is scarfed lando-t. It outspeeds Zard-X even at +1 and can OHKO with eq. Knock off beats gengar and rock slide takes Talonflame out of the picture.
Another change I would recommend is using Rotom-W instead of doublade. It's a better birdspam check overall and can OHKO Smogon bird in return. Also if you switch haxorus for lando-t, it forms a nice volt-turn core which allows you to bring your sweepers in easily.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability : Levitate
EVs 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This set lets you outspeed Jolly max speed Azumarill and burn it.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

Hope I helped :)
Thanks for the tip.

Quick note I don't run psychshock on Starmie, but as you pointed out that is the usual so most Gengar I see are worried about it and usually don't risk switching in.

As mentioned by another poster, I really can't get rid of Doublade as Mega Gard then shits on the team. I could try switching in Rotom for something else, but besides Starmie and Chesnaught I don't see what the team could afford to switch for and removing both of them adds new issues

rotom isnt scary at all is you use magic guard clefable. it cant really do much dmg to you while you are immune to burns. at the same time unawere clefable would help you with mega sableye and mega slowbro, oppoing clefable (you can deal with them but they are troublesome) while you can use heal bell insted of fire blast

Thanks for the tip.

Quick note I don't run psychshock on Starmie, but as you pointed out that is the usual so most Gengar I see are worried about it and usually don't risk switching in.

As mentioned by another poster, I really can't get rid of Doublade as Mega Gard then shits on the team. I could try switching in Rotom for something else, but besides Starmie and Chesnaught I don't see what the team could afford to switch for and removing both of them adds new issues
remember that gengar can come in on sth not named starmie and get a kill everytime he does so

remember that gengar can come in on sth not named starmie and get a kill everytime he does so
TTar really does seem like the needed glue here then, checking tflame and x and pursuit trapping, only really worried about gengar focus blast.

I think I can get by having Char check MSableye and slowbro And keeping clef as is.

Ok so now new thought. If I swapped out Hax for Scarftar would there be any problems opting for ice beam over the usual EQ on that set? I might be over thinking it (or under thinking it) but aren't most eq targets, bar heatran, taken care of by ches and chary?

i recoment you to swap between ice beam and superpower and chose what works better by playing. id go with ice beam since it can hit a few more mons (your only way of ohkoing garchomp or dragonite).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)