XY OU M-Gyarados and his back up crew

I have been working very long on this team and many pokemon changed but the core of amoongus and hippo have stayed. This team's objective is to tank a lot and hit back hard. It can also stack hazards very well if the opportunity is presented.

Starting off with one of my favourite pokemons:

Toad (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Foul Play

This guy is my special wall and my immunity to spore and sleep powder. The spore is very helpful once the opponent has no immunity to it no more. In some games he can put to sleep several opposing pokemons. Thanks to regenerator he tends to live quite long. Foul play is sometimes quite helpful if I surprise my opponent and stay in when they SD or cant take me out in turn. The rest is standard.

Toeris (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

The other pokemon that has been on this team since the beginning. I really like his bulk. The only pokemon that threatens this pokemon without having advantage in typing is M-Medicham. Unfortunately, he can't take 2 highjump kicks. This guy can also tank some weaker special attacks and get rocks up. He is also a very good mon to roar out boosting pokes or to probably roar something out that is weak to SR. Sand is really helpful, it has often been crucial in wearing down opposing threats.

Sun WuKong (Infernape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Close Combat

One of my favourite players of this team. He is very versatile that can either scout, finish, or hit very hard. I run Fire Punch because I don't like the recoil. He is already worn down quickly enough without it. I rely often on his speed to scare out threats.
I wonder if Mach Punch is even necessary since I have hardly ever used it and it usually lacks the power to take out not too weakened threats. It is a good check against heatran that would otherwise very well take apart my team. Also a good poke against Ferrothorn but they sometimes leech seed stall me and I cant switch in too many times then.

Intimidating (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch/Taunt?
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

The newest addition to the team. If he gets the opportunity to set up, he probably just sweeps the opponent. The intimidate is quite handy and sometimes I delay the mega to keep this handy ability or to play mind games. The moveset is quite standard and eq is for all the levitate users that are weak to it. Many opponents tend to forget about this. Giving his 3 attacks there is no pokemon that resists all those 3 and therefore it is almost impossible to stop him at +2. The only problem is that usually the best I can get is +1.

Bello (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

I needed another mon that can take some special attacks hence the AV. Also VS is handy to keep up momentum with Infernape. I am not sure if I should run extreme speed on it to finish faster mons. The moveset provides him with a broad possibility to hit many things for super effective damage. My only problem with this set is, that it at times doesn't hit as hard as I need it to hit.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 48 SpD / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

The new member of my team that replaces skarmory. I can switch into fairies and latitwins as long as they don't carry EQ. The EV set is that the speed reaches 362, therefore, I can outspeed the most relevant mons that are not scarfed. This set may come in as a surprise for oppenents since the SDEF set is quite more common. Unfortunately, I lost my Ground immunity with this and now I have 3 pokemon weak to ground.
Threats:
Latios/latias - I dont have much to take hits from them since Amoongus is weak to psyshock. Only heatran is a good switch but only if they dont carry EQ.
M-Medicham - If played correctly it can take my team apart since I have no good check to it.
Azumarill - this can be difficult to deal with it.

Charizard Y- If it carries Focusmiss then I have a problem, if not then I can wall it with heatran. Maybe I should run a rock move on heatran for this mon.

Last edited:
cool team dude, nice too see some less used pokemon
first i have a few moveset suggestions:

thinderbolt over shadow ball on raikou. thunderbolt is always needed. many times you will have to use your electric stab and not switch put at the same time.

clear smog over sludge bomb on amoongus will help you with clefable and mega slowbro which you cant prevent from setting up otherwise

flare blitz on infernape heavly outdamage fire punch to the point that its just not worth it

you really need taunt on mega gyarados to help agains stall teams (beacause of mold breaker you can taunt mega sableye too)

you are weak to a few pokemon:
charizard y
mega gardevoir
kyurem-b
latios
stall in general (taunt gyarados isnt enough)

how can you change that:
remove:
skarmory and amoongus

add:
heatran and stallbreaker mew.

spedef heatran counters latias, mega gardevoir and mega charizard y
stallbreaker mew is one of the best if not the best stall answer while it can take on kyurem-b easly.

Thanks for your imput.
I found shadowball very useful till now, maybe Ill drop extrasensory for the stab thunderbolt.
Clear smog sounds good because that thing really is a problem at crucial times.
Ill test the flare blitz, but yes you are right. It dishes out so much more damage.
So taunt over Crunch for Gyarados? EQ and Waterfall are quite crucial.

Heatran sounds like a sound replacement for scarm. My only problem with that is that my defogger will be gone. Im not sure if this team can function well without hazard removal.
Im quite hesitant to drop amoongus since spore is soo good and also it walls keldeo which the rest of my team cannot.

For now I have just implemented heatran. That leaves me with 3 pokemon weak to ground and no immunity. My problem with Zapdos is that is slow unless I play choice scarf but then it is a bad defogger. Any suggestions?

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there Einstein, I remember battling you on the OU ladder whilst you used this team (gg man, my stupid choke cost me the match, and I'm Soul M8 btw), and I just have a few EV spreads you might like to change:

First of: Amoonguss, I personally like a spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef, as this allows you to check BD Azumarill and Mega Lopunny, as well as Celebi, Keldeo, Thundurus etc. The moves are fine.

Hippo's Evs are fine, though you could elect for a mixed spread, but since you have an Amoonguss, with the EVs 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD, which allows you to better beat Mega Manectric, whilst also retaining the ability to check Mega Charizard X.

I'm thinking that you should switch Infernape for something else, since as you said, Lando-T and Excadrill in sand is quite a big problem for your team. Maybe a Rotom-W would help? I dunno.

On Mega Gayrados Gyarados, run a Jolly nature so that at +1 speed, you outspeed Mega Lopunny and anything slower than that and proceed to OHKO with some prior damage. Also, I would use Taunt or Substitute over Waterfall or Crunch, to beat Mega Sableye who atm assfucks your whole team. (Except for Raikou maybe)

Gyarados calc: +1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 235-277 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Raikou's set is fine, though you could run 240 speed instead of max and put the remaining into special defense to outspeed Serperior, but speed tying with Mega Houndoom and Starmie is quite nice.

On Scarftran, definitely run timid with a spread of 28 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 228 Spe, which allows you to outspeed Mega Lopunny and Manectric. Also, get rid of Dark Pulse (wtf does it hit? gengar is OHKOed by fire blast after rocks anyway) and add in Stone Edge to beat Talonflame and Volcarona. Yes, also get rid of Lava Plume for Fire Blast, more power really does help.

My Wifi is really shitty atm, I'll maybe test your team out a bit later. Gl hf with laddering and I hoped I helped :)

Hey soulm8

Thanks a lot for ur feedback, really appreciated.
I will definitely try your amoongus set, but Ill have to get used to it xD

I think Ill keep hippo as it is since it walls some very strong physical attackers (lopunny for example) but it may not after losing some bulk. And I hardly ever see mega manectric.
Ill keep my infernape since I can use Hippo to wall those two and I have never been fond of rotom.

Ill probably run taunt over Crunch, water just hits more stuff.

Ill take ur advice on raikou, and speed tying with them isnt really needed since they both are quite rare and I can live a hit from starmie.

I dont necessarily want to outspeed M-Lopunny and Manectric. I just made sure that Im at 362 speed since this is enough to outspeed most stuff. I put Dark pulse there cause I didnt know what else to put xD. Stoneedge sounds good thanks. And I dont use fire blast because it hits so rarely... i dont have too much luck with those moves.

U helped thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)