#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 5 - Heatran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a Modest HP Grass Heatran (soft reset by Takeko) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, myself and Professor Birch will be running the bracket.

View the bracket here

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate. PM whoever is running the tournament your username and friend code to enter. Make sure to join the chat and register early! The link will be provided at the end of this post.

Heatran -
Heatran

Nature: Modest - Ability: Pressure
IVs: 30/x/31/30/31/31 Hidden Power Grass

This week, we have a ORAS native Heatran courtesy of takeko. Heatran's still the special attacking powerhouse it was in VGC 2012 and 2013 and can still run its classic Substitute set very well. It's new resistance to fairy and its huge chunk of old ones means it's still a very useful and threatening Pokemon.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Heatran. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

HOW TO RECEIVE HEATRAN:
  • Step 1: Catch an Oddish (Route 119 hordes gotcha covered)
  • Step 2: Offer the Oddish for a Heatran on the GTS. If you haven't registered Heatran in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: Refresh the GTS to receive your Heatran. Enjoy!
This has been going for 5 weeks now and it's really incredible. Let's keep it up!

Are you sure the pokemon arent powersaved? Becuase its illegal to have a pressure heatran
I am pretty sure I was soft resetting it during a week each day :v4:

it's just a typo (:

should we level-lock our search on heatran?
You can, he's level 50.

Also, it would be great if you can precise the start hour on challonge, it convert it automaticaly for foreigners like me, I'have to check permanently a world clock otherwise lol

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I was soft resetting it during a week each day :v4:

it's just a typo (:

You can, he's level 50.

Also, it would be great if you can precise the start hour on challonge, it convert it automaticaly for foreigners like me, I'have to check permanently a world clock otherwise lol
Believe him/her, i was soft-resseting for it as well :P

make an account on challonge and sign up for the tournament, then at 5pm gmt-6 be in the IRC chatroom where the host will announce the rounds. :0

"This Friday" being today (Jan 30) or Feb. 6?
If its today, I just finished my VGC team and would adore testing it, so I'd sign up.
If its Feb 6, well, I have no idea if I'll be available as I start work on Feb 1 and won't have a schedule till then but I'd lean towards "probably not available" so it would be a waste of time for me and any matched-up opponents, and I don't want to be 'that guy' ya know? :/

If its today, I just finished my VGC team and would adore testing it, so I'd sign up.
If its Feb 6, well, I have no idea if I'll be available as I start work on Feb 1 and won't have a schedule till then but I'd lean towards "probably not available" so it would be a waste of time for me and any matched-up opponents, and I don't want to be 'that guy' ya know? :/
"This friday" is this friday as this post was created yesterday. Also, today is our weekly tour, so each friday we have one n_n

This Friday as in today in about 2.5 hours.

Also, the heatran distrobution will go live in about an hour. message me on #smogonvgc to tell me you've uploaded your oddish and I'll get it out!

Last edited:
This Friday as in today in about 2.5 hours.

Also, the heatran distrobution will go live in about an hour. message me on #smogonvgc to tell me you've uploaded your heatran and I'll get it out!
Don't you mean when I have uploaded my oddish, you said we should message you when we have uploaded our heatran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)