Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Thanks, I always searched in the "tournaments"-section. But for all those regular tournaments (like for example the SPL) showdown is used, isn't it?
yes all the tournaments in the "Tournaments" section are for simulators(not necessarily showdown, sometimes others can be used e.g. for ADV Matches Pokemon Online is used)

i am just now getting into the cometitive battling and breeding scene and i wanted to know if it was best to get a game from each gen and thengame sync and trade to and from myself. and or if that is a good way to go about starting the whole breeding and creating a team. If any of you have any advice on how to really get started i would love to know and take this a long long ways

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
i am just now getting into the cometitive battling and breeding scene and i wanted to know if it was best to get a game from each gen and thengame sync and trade to and from myself. and or if that is a good way to go about starting the whole breeding and creating a team. If any of you have any advice on how to really get started i would love to know and take this a long long ways
Hey Jonathan Bales!
Visit the "Wi-Fi" subforum for a start. You can chat with other users who want to trade/battle ingame, and they might be able to trade you some good competitive Pokemon. Getting a game from each gen isn't required, but it is a good way to complete the dex should you want to. If you want to know what sets are good competitively so as to breed those specific Pokemon ingame, check out the StrategyDex. Also, here's a good guide if you want to breed Pokemon yourself. Lastly, should you want some advice on improving an idea for a competitive ingame team, visit the RMT section of the forums for some help from the veterans. Have fun!

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Jonathon, honestly I wouldn't say you have to get every game, since (as far as I know) every Pokemon is available between XY and ORAS, excluding Pokemon given away in events, which you wouldn't be able to get anyway. In fact, it's probably better to get it from a Gen 6 game as it made breeding for perfect Pokemon much easier and much more accessible. Pokemon you breed in XY or ORAS also get the blue pentagon which is often required for Nintendo metagames due to the ease of hacking previous generation games.

If I breed a HA zigzagoon with a nidoran female will the offspring have a chance at getting a HA
iirc it's only possible for offspring to have HA if the mother has it.
This is partly correct. The male can pass HA only if it is bred with Ditto. If you breed a HA male Zigzagoon with a female Nidoran, you will always get a Nidoran with the regular abilities, unless the Nidoran female you started out with had the HA. Also, you cannot pass HA between Pokemon of different species.

If I breed a HA zigzagoon with a nidoran female will the offspring have a chance at getting a HA[/qu
This is partly correct. The male can pass HA only if it is bred with Ditto. If you breed a HA male Zigzagoon with a female Nidoran, you will always get a Nidoran with the regular abilities, unless the Nidoran female you started out with had the HA. Also, you cannot pass HA between Pokemon of different species.
they are the same species but nidoran is also monster including field and how would i get the HA to be passed down to the nidoran

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
they are the same species but nidoran is also monster including field and how would i get the HA to be passed down to the nidoran
I'm pretty sure that he means that they need to be the same pokemon. For example, If you breed a female zangoose with a male HA bidoof, the HA wont be passed down to the offspring because the offspring would be zangoose; bidoof doesn't have zangoose's HA (being toxic boost.)

Where's a good place to ask for learning about team construction? I assume it's a much lengthier explanation than this thread is meant for.
You can try using the mentor ship help form found here. Team building is a core concept of competive battling so you can also try using the battle 101 program to learn how to build in a sepcific tier. Hope that helps.

You can try using the mentor ship help form found here. Team building is a core concept of competive battling so you can also try using the battle 101 program to learn how to build in a sepcific tier. Hope that helps.
I play a lot of obscure pet mods and other metagames, so specific help wouldn't be as useful. More general is probably the best way to go. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)