ORAS OU Win Condition: Imma Volbeat yer ass! (REVAMPED)

After playing around with my Baton Pass Volbeat team a lot, I think I'm finally on to something! Let me show you how it works.

Team at a Glance:

This team's first impression is both a dead give-away and a puzzle: I'm clearly running a specially-based Baton Pass team; however, the opponent is left to guess whether I'm trying to pass Geomancy boosts from Smeargle, Tail Glow from Volbeat, or Calm Mind from Espeon. It's always good to keep the enemy on his toes. I usually lead with Smeargle or Scarfkiss, but Heatran is another possibility. The goal is to utilize Espeon's dual screens to support Volbeat so it can boost up to +6 SpA. Substitute/Salac Berry allow the ladybugmon to pass a speed boost as well. My Baton Pass receiver core is comprises Latias-Mega, Heatran, and Choice Scarf Togekiss, each of which has good defensive synergy with the others. Both Smeargle and Latias-Mega can provide emergency support with Lunar Dance and Healing Wish, respectively, so that Volbeat can set up another deadly chain. Now that your interest is piqued, let's examine these pokemon more closely!

Individual Strategy/Analysis:

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Trick
- Destiny Bond
- Lunar Dance

Smeargle: the epitome of supportive versatility. This lead is a nasty surprise for players who mindlessly switch to their grass type only to be Tricked or weakened by Parting Shot. Choice Scarf gives Smeargle the jump on positive-natured base 130s and provides excellent momentum with Parting Shot. Trick turns Chansey, Ferrothorn, and company into utter deadweight. Destiny Bond is good for ending a sweep or taking out a troublesome dark or ghost type, while Lunar Dance has excellent utility late-game and can restore Volbeat to full health. Against non-prankster Taunt users, Smeargle should Parting Shot to Espeon for free. Parting Shot also works wonders against hazard leads that think they can set up on me, since Magic Bounce Espeon waits sneakily in the wings. Most people expect Smeargle to run Focus Sash and Spore, so this Smeargle's unique combination of moves gains me a lot of momentum.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn
- Psyshock

Espeon is an amazing dual screener due to its spectacular ability, Magic Bounce. With this awesome trait Espeon finds many opportunities to switch into battle and reflect the opponents status moves right back at him. Reflect and Light Screen are two obligatory move slots, since Espeon's foremost duty is to make Volbeat's Subs unbreakable and make its Tail Glow set-up a breeze. Yawn has extraordinary utility since it puts the opponent in a very difficult situation: switch out or fall asleep. Either way, Espeon eagerly sets up the appropriate screen with little fear. Psyshock allows Espeon to function as a last-resort Baton Pass receiver, provided that the opponent's dark types were removed. It is also handy against Calm Minders and the pink blobs. Although Heatran carries Stealth Rock, its primary role is to sweep with Volbeat's boosts, so I often find myself relying on Espeon to nab the rocks with Magic Bounce. So far, she has done an excellent job at this.

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Healing Wish

Latias-Mega is my go-to Baton Pass receiver, thanks to Healing Wish. With it, Lati can sweep to the brink of fainting only to use Healing Wish and give Volbeat a second chance to pass boosts to Heatran or Togekiss. Psyshock and Dragon Pulse are my obvious STAB choices, and the former has the added benefit of bypassing SpD boosts from Calm Mind. Volbeat loves setting up against Calm Minders, who don't mind being encored into their boosting move. When I finally pass +6 to Lati, she promptly Psyshocks the booster into oblivion. Latias-Mega is chosen over her normal form for added power, bulk, and resistance to Knock Off. A final word on Healing Wish: it allows me to keep momentum against Sucker Punchers, who on the next turn will find themselves encored into a useless move by a fully healed Volbeat.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

I chose to add Heatran to my Baton Pass receiver core for its excellent defensive synergy with Latias-Mega, useful immunities, and access to Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock was somewhat of an afterthought, and I'm not set on keeping it. Without Dragon Pulse, Heatran misses out on perfect neutral coverage, which has been a pain in several cases. However, I believe Stealth Rock is a necessary move on Heatran since Espeon cannot set it up reliably. SR also gives Heatran good potential as a lead if Heatran checks whomever I think their lead will be. Lava Plume is chosen over Fire Blast/Flamethrower for its combination of accuracy and burn chance; at +3/+6, the power drop is largely moot. Flash Cannon is my best answer to Clefable and Sylveon, while Earth Power rounds out Heatran's coverage. Heatran's EVs allow it to outrun Adamant Excadrill, Jolly Mega Heracross, and most variants of Mew while retaining maximum special attacking presence. The extra EVs buff Heatran's HP a tad. I chose Leftovers for passive recover, though Shuca Berry is quite tempting. Feedback on the item dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Togekiss rounds out my Baton Pass receiver core, doubling as a potential anti-lead. Choice Scarf is for flinch hax and crippling something with Trick. Typically, I hold onto my scarf so that I can freely spam boosted Air Slashes. I might alter the EVs slightly to focus on just outspeeding key threats instead of maxing speed arbitrarily. Aura Sphere smacks the dark types that terrorize Latias and Espeon. Dazzling Gleam is my secondary STAB that mainly deters dragons. Gee, now that I actually looked up what else fairy hits supereffectively I wonder if Aura Sphere is redundant! Perhaps I could run Roost or Heal Bell over Dazzling Gleam.... It seems like I rarely find opportunities to use fairy STAB. What are your thoughts on the matter, o Smogon Elites?

Volbeat (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Encore

Enter Volbeat, the ladybug that just doesn't quit. Here is the star of the show, the prankster whose ploys are purely pernicious. Volbeat's job is simple: pass Tail Glows, +1 speed, and a sub to anything with a special attack. Behind Espeon's dual screens, Volbeat performs this task admirably. Encore secures many set-up openings for Volbeat. Notable moves to encore include Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch, Fake Out, Earthquake, boosting moves, Substitute, Gyro Ball and more. Prediction is key when using Encore; if the opponent switches out Encore will fail. Therefore, sometimes it is safer to use Substitute or Tail Glow depending on the opponent's most likely switch. Prankster is Volbeat's saving grace, allowing it to move first in most situations. Note that Volbeat absolutely MUST use Baton Pass from behind a Sub if the opponent has any strong priority attacks. Let me just say, this is one bad-ass-baton-passing bug!

Conclusions:

My goal with this team was to make Baton Pass as viable a strategy as possible. Do not rate me if you are prejudiced against gimmicks, and do not brand me a skill-less n00b for making a gimmick team. I truly believe that in the hands of a smart player, a gimmick can be played effectively with enough skill and daring. Even though this team might never hold its own on the ladder (1450 on PS and climbing), it is still very fun to play and causes TONS of ragequits. It's truly hilarious when my opponent is telling me I have no skill even as I'm Volbeatin' his ass! Thank you for reviewing my team and don't forget to rate!

Attachments

Last edited:
I saw your post in SQSA and figured I'd take a look and it's clear why nobody is reviewing your team. You care much more about the gimmick than viability and what one person sees as a good part of their gimmick others won't like, making it very hard to make suggestions. Also nobody is going to copy your team and try it out to see how it works and what the flaws are so all you should really post replays.

Anyway your team definitely needs rocks to break sashes, so replace one (or both) dual screeners with Azelf. You can run SR/Screens/Taunt. Another option would be to replace one screener with Sashed Dugtrio, and just set up rocks and if you're faster memento so your screener has an easier time. Suicune is too slow to be a receiver, I'd try Gengar as it also beats unaware Clefable. If you're replacing Mega Lop then Mega Sceptile might make a nice receiver too, being fast and immune to thunder wave.

If this team revolves around the gimmick of BP then it's much better to follow up that gimmick with a Stored Power user. Maybe running Espeon as an offensive CM Stored Power abuser, or a Mega Latias as the same. Honestly, I think your every day cancer bug Scolipede can do better, providing speed boosts, defence boosts, SD boosts it you want to try passing to Lop too, and Suicune, Espeon and/or Latias can pretty much handle themselves from there, boasting reliable recovery, access to CM, and Stored Power also increases with power from even unnecessary boosts, you can set-up Scolipede with +6 spe, Def, and even Atk and your Stored Powers will steam-roll shit. I'd greatly advise CroCune as well, it's fat as shit and very very difficult to handle. It lacks coverage, but it doesn't really need it with how easily he can set up, especially if passed a Sub and some Iron Defence boosts.
Hope this helps.

Cunt-Bug (Scolipede) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Defense
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute

U Fkn Wot m8 (Espeon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

Wet Dog (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

The feedback is much appreciated. I will definitely start running Stealth Rock, and I'll certainly consider the utility of Memento Azelf. I'll test some more and eliminate a screener if I need to. I think I'll convert this to a UU team and see if I can make it feasible in that tier before attempting to build a viable OU variant. Twist, good point about Iron Defense Scolipede and Stored Power being more threatening in OU. I initially was building teams around Scolipede and Belly Drum, but Stored Power is definitely a better option. But I'm not giving up on Volbeat just yet :)
I'll let you guys know when I post that UU team, and I'll try to get some good battle logs too! Thanks, frens!

How might I adjust to stop serp? Would TrickScarf Togekiss be an option? It could create openings for Volbeat by crippling something or receive boosts and spam Air Slash.... Bulletpunch weakness sucks though. Sorry, I'm kind of inexperienced so I don't always know the best counters.

Maybe this, I play stall so maybe not the best...
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Ok guys, I completely revamped the team! Give it a look please! :D
The revival of a post, not seen that recently. The things I see wrong are Latias, and the Fact your teem gets swept by Tryanatar, Talonflame seems like a huge problem, and no Defog...

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power / Recover / Defog
- Reflect Type

Okay, Reflect Type lets you Laugh in the face of Bisharp and kill it w/ Surf or a Hidden Power of your Choice.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

I feel like T-wave Para-Flinch lets you set-up against many others after something is para'd with Volbeat

Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

Better Coverage.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

The "Offensive Tran" you can tell, I am not a fan of offense usually. Check out my RMT on the Sig.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Calm Nature (I think - SpA; +Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Whirlwind / Roost
- Drill Peck / Iron Head

New lead, can stay around for later.

Thanks Houndoomite. I really like the reflect type idea on Latias-Mega. I'll try the togekiss too since it's awkward to have two trickscarfers on my team. Not sure about replacing yawn on espeon, but I'll ponder it. Ancientpower seems good for countering mega y zard and talon. How good would defog really be on my team? I like the idea of a durable lead but I'm not sure I want to ditch Smeargle just yet.

Ok, sounds good. So how do you think this team fares compared to similar gimmicks? And is it an improvement from its previous iteration?

Stored Power and Roost is optimal for BP recipient Mega Latias, Stored Power is pretty much Latias's staple. I also stand by my suggestion of cancerpede because it can bring a lot more with it, passing Iron Defence boosts to a CM Mega Latias or CroCune sounds like a gimmick team's wet dream, but Tail Glow just boosts your SpA to sky-high levels and it's pretty straight forward, it's like using Nasty Pass Celebi which from my experience is best used with a Scarfer or a very speedy mon who can outspeed a large portion of threats and sweep. I still hold this team in high regards as one of the best cancerous gimmick teams to be spawned from OR/AS, if it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)