Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Is it viable to run a specs Whismicott? I am sort of tired of the typical prankster sets.

Somewhere along the lines of:

Whismicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 SpD (Jolly +Spd -Atk)
Moves:
Psychic
Moonblast
Giga Drain
U-Turn

Or, if this does work, would I need to switch the 4 SpD evs to Atk?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it viable to run a specs Whismicott? I am sort of tired of the typical prankster sets.

Somewhere along the lines of:

Whismicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 SpD
Moves:
Psychic
Moonblast
Giga Drain
U-Turn

Or, if this does work, would I need to switch the 4 SpD evs to Atk?
Uh, unsure if you have it in Speed (Spe) or Special Defense (SpD), I assume you ment Speed. You are better off running Life Orb over Choice Specs as the ability to change up moves is generally more effective than a slight power increase. I think having Encore over Psychic would also be better, or I have seen Hurricane to hit Grass-types. I'm assuming you put it on to hit Amoongus which just barely misses a 2HKO, so you are better off either running Hurricane or U-turning out. Otherwise the set looks fine.

252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Amoonguss: 192-229 (44.4 - 53%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Edit: oh and if you go Encore make sure to change the ability to prankster

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should I invest in Special Defense for Alomomola? Is it even worth it?
You should try to avoid double posts if you can help it.

But if you are asking if you should run specially defensive Alomomola then yes either running max specially defensive or a mixed spread of evs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD | nature: Bold / Impish is quite good.

Uh, unsure if you have it in Speed (Spe) or Special Defense (SpD), I assume you ment Speed. You are better off running Life Orb over Choice Specs as the ability to change up moves is generally more effective than a slight power increase. I think having Encore over Psychic would also be better, or I have seen Hurricane to hit Grass-types. I'm assuming you put it on to hit Amoongus which just barely misses a 2HKO, so you are better off either running Hurricane or U-turning out. Otherwise the set looks fine.

252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Amoonguss: 192-229 (44.4 - 53%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Edit: oh and if you go Encore make sure to change the ability to prankster
The thing with running life orb over specs is that you wear yourself down whenever you click u-turn, so it makes it harder for whimsicott to check what it needs to check. I'd personally replace psychic with switcheroo and just admit to yourself that you're going to be u-turning a lot while they have an amoongus.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
If you want to run an offensive Whimsicott, Delta Tea, Life Orb sets work fairly well.

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster / Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore / Hidden Power Fire
- U-Turn

Obviously, you want to use Prankster if you're using Encore, and Infiltrator is the best ability when not running priority moves. It acts as a great check to sweepers such as Slurpuff, Viizion, and Mega Sceptile for offensive teams that cannot afford to run defensive stops to these threats. :]

Should I invest in Special Defense for Alomomola? Is it even worth it?
Yes, totally! With Special Defense investment, Alomomola can better check prominent threats such as Moltres, Mega Pidgeot, and many others, while still countering strong physical attackers such as Mega Glalie. A spread of 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD is usually sufficient. In addition, you can run Mirror Coat, which fires back special attacks, such as Moltres' Fire Blast, Mega Glalie's Freeze Dry, and Mega Pidgeot's Hurricane, for twice the damage it takes, usually KOing them.

Ares

The thing with running life orb over specs is that you wear yourself down whenever you click u-turn, so it makes it harder for whimsicott to check what it needs to check. I'd personally replace psychic with switcheroo and just admit to yourself that you're going to be u-turning a lot while they have an amoongus.
Giga Drain regains enough HP for Whimsicott to consistently do its job, if you're really worried about losing health then you can try running Leftovers. The main draw for me while using Whimsicott is its priority Encore, also being locked into a move really sucks for a mon thats as weak as Whimsicott is which is why Life Orb is the recommended item.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should try to avoid double posts if you can help it.

But if you are asking if you should run specially defensive Alomomola then yes either running max specially defensive or a mixed spread of evs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD | nature: Bold / Impish is quite good.
specially defensive alomomola is: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD Calm Delta Tea

Personally, I don't really like the lack of ability to switch moves of Specs Whimiscott or the recoil from Life Orb Whimsicott. However, there is a great middle ground here in one of my favorite sets: Assault Vest Whimsicott.

Whimsicott @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- U-Turn

With this set, you get just about all of the benefits that come with Life Orb or Choice Specs Whimsicott, but you get the freedom to switch moves, no recoil whatsoever, and a handy increase to your Special Defense. While LO and Specs are more common items on Whimsicott, AV is a nice item on it as well.

if you're too new to the community to get it, this is a joke post, don't actually use av whimsicott lol

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Is it true that mega pidgey is probably leaving the tier regardless of ban vote because usage? When is the next tier shift?

Thanks dude :]]]]]]] @below post

Last edited:
The mons hovering on the cutoff are a lot this round. Stuff that could rise is the already mentioned Pidgeot, alongside Sceptile, Whimsicott and Gligar. On the other hand, the most close to a drop are Noivern, Trevenant, Kingdra and Ampharos. Medicham(regular) is also a possible drop, but the current testing of Medichamite will likely push up its usage a bit.

Do you guys think Noivern, if it does drop, will be used frequently? Also, where you you place it on the viability ladder?

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My COIL is precisely 2399.5, but it still shows up as 2400 when I do /rank. Will this suffice, or do I need to play one last match?

Ares

My COIL is precisely 2399.5, but it still shows up as 2400 when I do /rank. Will this suffice, or do I need to play one last match?
Just play one last match to be safe, shouldn't be that hard to get at least one more win. You don't wanna get rejected to vote over something that small, idk for sure but better safe than sorry.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but can someone explain the "Druddigon is broken in RU" joke to me?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but can someone explain the "Druddigon is broken in RU" joke to me?
Well competitively, Druddigon was probably the absolute best Pokemon in BW2 RU and its still quite excellent today. However, its status as a top tier threat in BW2 RU along with a user named TROP started an inside joke that Druddigon was the most broken Pokemon in RU (and the entire game), and that it needs to be banned asap. So people joke about that quite often, even going so far as to make fake calcs of druddigon OHKOing xerneas with outrage etc. Nbd

I am looking to create a balanced RU team which have Sticky web and Spikes or SR as support. Which Support pokes with Sticky web or Spikes and SR is easy to use?

I am looking to create a balanced RU team which have Sticky web and Spikes or SR as support. Which Support pokes with Sticky web or Spikes and SR is easy to use?
Fully evolved Sticky Web setters in RU are Ariados, Kricketune, Leavanny, Masquerain (and they are all in PU). Considering that only Kricketune is in viability rankings, it's your best choice for a Sticky Web setter. Although, if you are going to create a team with Sticky Web, I would recommend waiting for the suspect test to end, as Serperior can get a free speed boost from Sticky Web which you don't want and Mega Pidgeot outright doesn't care about your webs.

As for Stealth Rock and Spikes users, feel free to check ORAS RU Role Compendium. There are lots of good choices for these, depending on what you want. The choice of exact user(s) will depend on what will fit your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)