General Introduce yourself!

Hi my name is Karim or The Shiny Trainer I used to play fairly often back in fourth gen but have since fallen out of the loop, but I am looking forward to becoming more involved in Pokemon again or at least when I have time :)

Not sure if I ever introduced myself here, but if I did I'm sorry, I forgot, I couldn't find my last post, please don't mute me!
I'm Der Twist, I've been here for pushing a year and only exceptionally active for about half that time. I rate OU teams. That's it. I'd hope to eventually make some kind of mark here in some way but I have no clue how, I got my ass handed to me in OST because I choked like a bitch and tend to fall flat against other reputable opponents for that same reason, I don't have a badge so I can't write up an analysis thread for any OU mon with which I have noteworthy understanding (and I don't much care for other tiers, OU is my shit), I just rate teams to an ok extent and build decently too. I also whine a lot as evident. XD If anyone has a job for me, something to do while I'm here so I can contribute fully I would be much obliged. :]

Hey guys, I'm Tomo. I've been a big fan of pokémon games ever since my first experience with one in Pokémon Sapphire. I really love water pokémon in particular, and outside of pokémon, I'm a competitive swimmer. So there's that. Even though I like water pokémon over most others, I'd have to say that the Dragonite line would be my favorite few pokémon (but in my defense, at least Dratini is found underwater :3). I started competitive battling in Gen 5 because of the Pokémon World Tournament, and even though most of my competitive battles take place here on Showdown, I've still got my AS/Y Battle Box ready whenever I'm up for it. My favorite region had to have been Johto, because the story was so much longer than that of any of the other games. I felt that Hoenn was good too, but looking back on it now, it was a bit too easy (especially in the remakes). Sinnoh had a lot going for it, but it was really boring. Probably because the whole region was this rainy/foggy/marshy clump of weathers that I just can't stand (not counting Snowpoint). Unova was good, too, but the first ones were short. Maybe that's just because I played it too much? I don't really know. I don't see what else there is to say here, so... I hope I can see all of you in battle. Bye!

Hi my name is Karim or The Shiny Trainer I used to play fairly often back in fourth gen but have since fallen out of the loop, but I am looking forward to becoming more involved in Pokemon again or at least when I have time :)
Hey Welcome if you have anyqiestion feel free to PM me or a mentor. We also have a help thread if you need it: http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help

Not sure if I ever introduced myself here, but if I did I'm sorry, I forgot, I couldn't find my last post, please don't mute me!
I'm Der Twist, I've been here for pushing a year and only exceptionally active for about half that time. I rate OU teams. That's it. I'd hope to eventually make some kind of mark here in some way but I have no clue how, I got my ass handed to me in OST because I choked like a bitch and tend to fall flat against other reputable opponents for that same reason, I don't have a badge so I can't write up an analysis thread for any OU mon with which I have noteworthy understanding (and I don't much care for other tiers, OU is my shit), I just rate teams to an ok extent and build decently too. I also whine a lot as evident. XD If anyone has a job for me, something to do while I'm here so I can contribute fully I would be much obliged. :]
Well Welcome, I used to rate OU teams as well but I really dont know the meta enough anymore to do that. Rating teams can be a good way to get a badge if you make good meaningful rates a lot. Feel free to PM me or a mentor or even use our help thread as well. We also have a community feedback forum since you seem to be a little more in the community than most.

Hey guys, I'm Tomo. I've been a big fan of pokémon games ever since my first experience with one in Pokémon Sapphire. I really love water pokémon in particular, and outside of pokémon, I'm a competitive swimmer. So there's that. Even though I like water pokémon over most others, I'd have to say that the Dragonite line would be my favorite few pokémon (but in my defense, at least Dratini is found underwater :3). I started competitive battling in Gen 5 because of the Pokémon World Tournament, and even though most of my competitive battles take place here on Showdown, I've still got my AS/Y Battle Box ready whenever I'm up for it. My favorite region had to have been Johto, because the story was so much longer than that of any of the other games. I felt that Hoenn was good too, but looking back on it now, it was a bit too easy (especially in the remakes). Sinnoh had a lot going for it, but it was really boring. Probably because the whole region was this rainy/foggy/marshy clump of weathers that I just can't stand (not counting Snowpoint). Unova was good, too, but the first ones were short. Maybe that's just because I played it too much? I don't really know. I don't see what else there is to say here, so... I hope I can see all of you in battle. Bye!
Welcome, if you need help feel free to ask me or a mentor. We also have a help form if you need it: http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help

I checked out the help form but I'm not entirely sure what to ask. I've adopted the Lurk Moar method to try and pick up how to get the edge in my battles and choking isn't an issue anyone but me can fix. Regardless, I'll ask around to see how I can make myself useful. Thanks for the welcome. :]

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Lol, here's the first stupid thing I did on the site, I meant VGC, but I confused with doubles .-. Thx, I've already completed the form for asking for a tutor, and I'm waiting for someone to reply! The competiting tutoring room that u quoted is a room on Showdown or what else?
Lol, if you haven't already, visit the VGC room, too. Yes, the Competitive Tutoring and VGC are both rooms in Showdown. :)

I can vouch for the PS! Competitive Tutoring room. There's not all that many VGC players there, but if you catch Serapis at the right time then you'll have all the help you need, he's the resident VGC tutor there. It's a fun and helpful place to be, I'm a regular there. :]

Welcome to smogon ChinChansu. So glad to see a long time fan. Happy to hear you having a good experience. I was in elementary school at the time of RBY. So glad to know someone older than me is still playing.
Thanks! I was not aware of how young the majority of the players are until I played in PS. I asked the age of some players who have beaten me, and their answers almost always lie within the 15-20 bracket (I'm 25 and I will be starting my master's degree soon ^_^). I'm totally cool with it though :)

Hey guys, I'm Johnny and I'm an 18 y.o. college student. Been playing Pokemon since GSC and I've been lurking Smogon/watching competitive battles since DP. I really want to start getting serious about improving my battling skills so I figure it's finally time to get involved. To give an idea of where I'm currently at, I can't get past the 1500s on the OU ladder... so not good, not bad lol. I want to get a tutor but I have no access to Skype atm so that'll have to wait. My goal is to get to the point that I can play all the battlers I look up to in tournaments and hopefully make a name for myself. :]

Well just wanted to introduce myself, if anyone wants to be friends don't be afraid to hit up that PM box and look forward to getting to know you guys

Hey guys, I'm Johnny and I'm an 18 y.o. college student. Been playing Pokemon since GSC and I've been lurking Smogon/watching competitive battles since DP. I really want to start getting serious about improving my battling skills so I figure it's finally time to get involved. To give an idea of where I'm currently at, I can't get past the 1500s on the OU ladder... so not good, not bad lol. I want to get a tutor but I have no access to Skype atm so that'll have to wait. My goal is to get to the point that I can play all the battlers I look up to in tournaments and hopefully make a name for myself. :]

Well just wanted to introduce myself, if anyone wants to be friends don't be afraid to hit up that PM box and look forward to getting to know you guys
Hey there! You can communicate with tutors over IRC too, I believe, so if I'm not mistaken you could theoretically join B101 if you want. Anyway, enjoy Smogon, and good luck!

Whats Good, I go by the name Casualtrainer89. I've been playing since Gen 1 and got into competitive battling about a year ago. I heard that the competitive scene here was high so I thought I check it out for myself.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Whats Good, I go by the name Casualtrainer89. I've been playing since Gen 1 and got into competitive battling about a year ago. I heard that the competitive scene here was high so I thought I check it out for myself.
Hi casualtrainer89!
Nice to meet ya and welcome to Smogon! For a start, try out the different forums here at Smogon and the different rooms in Showdown to find where you could get involved. From there, just go with the flow, I guess. Have fun and ask questions if you have any!

Hi casualtrainer89!
Nice to meet ya and welcome to Smogon! For a start, try out the different forums here at Smogon and the different rooms in Showdown to find where you could get involved. From there, just go with the flow, I guess. Have fun and ask questions if you have any!
I'm not familiar with the rules or tiers here, is there a thread with that kind of info?

Er, hi, I'm Michael, and I write walls of text.

Just joining the forums because I heard it has some interesting things: a league(?) and such, because I've found myself quite bored with standard play. I've been playing competitive 'mons sporadically since Gen IV on PO since way back when, and have had a reasonable amount of success on their ladders. Like #1 peaks and stuff, I'unno if that's good or not in the Smogon community. From what I heard, you guys are weird. =)

I'm relatively new to Gen VI (or is it called ORAS now?) and Pokemon Showdown. A day old, to be exact. Heh. And from what I've seen so far, I feckin' hate it. Other than the fact that I still have not memorized this new type chart (I can't even count the amount of times I've switched a steel type into a dark/ghost attack expecting a resistance, or not knowing that steel owns the shit out of fairy), I still find it to be extremely dull.

I thought nothing could be worse than Gen V -- ridiculously strong new 'mons and a freaking Politoed around every corner, but then Gen VI had to go like "haha fuk u" and give like every Pokemon ever a buff that made it capable of knocking out the moon (apparently Mega Rayquaza was so broken that they had to ban it from Uber of all tiers?). Everything about Gen VI makes me irrationally angry, from fairy type to the new type chart to the Mega Evos to the Knock Off buff to the new Defog mechanics to the main style of play being freaking stall. At least they nerfed weather and sleep, thank god.

So yeah, unless I die from high blood pressure due to how mindblowingly retarded Gen VI is, I hope to see you around. Prob on the forums, because I've never used IRC in my life. Maybe if somebody convinces me. Hope I get a hang of Gen VI fast enough and can become a part of this, er, unique community. Yeah, unique.

P.S. I heard you guys have a lot of community projects as well and a Dex in beta (why 'da hell did you guys get rid of the intros? hey were actually kinda funny). I have some extensive knowledge of front-end web development, and am decent at back-end as well. So if anybody needs a hand... Also I heard you guys have a magazine or something. As you can already see from this wall of text, I kinda like to write... so if they need somebody as well. I haven't really gotten around to reading anything about these projects yet so excuse me if I sound stupid.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Just joining the forums because I heard it has some interesting things: a league(?) and such, because I've found myself quite bored with standard play. I've been playing competitive 'mons sporadically since Gen IV on PO since way back when, and have had a reasonable amount of success on their ladders. Like #1 peaks and stuff, I'unno if that's good or not in the Smogon community. From what I heard, you guys are weird. =)

I'm relatively new to Gen VI (or is it called ORAS now?) and Pokemon Showdown. A day old, to be exact. Heh. And from what I've seen so far, I feckin' hate it. Other than the fact that I still have not memorized this new type chart (I can't even count the amount of times I've switched a steel type into a dark/ghost attack expecting a resistance, or not knowing that steel owns the shit out of fairy), I still find it to be extremely dull.

I thought nothing could be worse than Gen V -- ridiculously strong new 'mons and a freaking Politoed around every corner, but then Gen VI had to go like "haha fuk u" and give like every Pokemon ever a buff that made it capable of knocking out the moon (apparently Mega Rayquaza was so broken that they had to ban it from Uber of all tiers?). Everything about Gen VI makes me irrationally angry, from fairy type to the new type chart to the Mega Evos to the Knock Off buff to the new Defog mechanics to the main style of play being freaking stall. At least they nerfed weather and sleep, thank god.

So yeah, unless I die from high blood pressure due to how mindblowingly retarded Gen VI is, I hope to see you around. Prob on the forums, because I've never used IRC in my life. Maybe if somebody convinces me. Hope I get a hang of Gen VI fast enough and can become a part of this, er, unique community. Yeah, unique.

P.S. I heard you guys have a lot of community projects as well and a Dex in beta (why 'da hell did you guys get rid of the intros? hey were actually kinda funny). I have some extensive knowledge of front-end web development, and am decent at back-end as well. So if anybody needs a hand... Also I heard you guys have a magazine or something. As you can already see from this wall of text, I kinda like to write... so if they need somebody as well. I haven't really gotten around to reading anything about these projects yet so excuse me if I sound stupid.
I like reading walls of text in this thread you're lucky!!

And that's cool. Maybe like look into Other Metas to play other stuff if you're over the normal matches you play. unfixable and others know a lot about OMs so talk to him if you wanna consider that kinda stuff, unless you mean tournaments in which case... there's a section for those!

Dw I was the same I couldn't figure out which beat what and so on, and I still kind of don't... that's why I don't play anymore. c: One day I'll know it all though!! And you only hate gen v in terms of battling right??? Are you aware that in-game it is the best game ever? Because I believe that is an important fact that everyone in the world should know, and now you know, your life is fufilled.

Yea we have lots of things to do here. Too much really, we always need new contributors for stuff (we have a how to contribute guide in a sticky in this forum so have a look at that!) And yessssss, The Smog (not The Player, because The Smog is the best ofc) always needs new writers. :) Submit an article idea in the approvals forum and I'll personally check it over for you! And that's cool, maybe you can get into HTMLing for articles and things? We have like a guide coming up sometime soon which you can check out... or just read what we have already since if you like writing you obviously like reading too? :)

Enjoy your time here, remember BW in game is best and if you have any questions about stuff PM me, or ask in the questions thread. Oh and when you've been here for a while reply to the community feedback forum because we want to know if your mind has changed, or exploded from gen 6, and if you like it here. :) Welcome!

Gen VI... takes time to get used to. It was the freaking speed creep that kept getting it for me. Back in the days when Garchomp was considered very fast and now anything base 110 is average, slow down, speed racer! It was taking some big jumps but you'll get used to them eventually. I grew to really enjoy OR/AS despite greatly not liking it initially.
And don't worry about writing long paras, people with good attention spans will likely appreciate those more than one-liners, I know I do for whatever that's worth. Hope you enjoy yourself here. :]

One thing I always wondered how do you guys do and would be glad if someone could teach me:
How do you do those calculations on percentual chance of OHKO, 2HKO and etc?

For example, let's suppose we're considering Gengar and Tyranitar,
If we consider a Timid Gengar fully EV trained on Sp. Atk and a Impish Tyrantar with Sand Stream and 248 EVs in HP and 8 in Sp. Def.
Let's take in consideration Gengar using Dazzling Gleam and Tyranitar using Crunch,
also let's ignore items for turning the calculations simpler for the moment.
How would I calculate the percentual chance of OHKO in both cases?

http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 151-179 (37.4 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-396 (128.7 - 151.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's not the updated version, there is a newer one somewhere with the new Megas, but this is it. Showdown Damage Calcs, does the job for you. :]
Also, don't run Dazzling Gleam on Gengar, run Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Focus Blast and something extra like Taunt.

Reactions: vmm
http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 151-179 (37.4 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-396 (128.7 - 151.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's not the updated version, there is a newer one somewhere with the new Megas, but this is it. Showdown Damage Calcs, does the job for you. :]
Also, don't run Dazzling Gleam on Gengar, run Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Focus Blast and something extra like Taunt.
Isn't Gengar too fragile to run Taunt? It could prevent DD, CM, Harzards and Status moves but seems quite an unsafe bet,
guess wrong and you're dead, or am I wrong?

70% of accuracy is quite low, would you recommend something instead of Focus Blast?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Gengar too fragile to run Taunt? It could prevent DD, CM, Harzards and Status moves but seems quite an unsafe bet,
guess wrong and you're dead, or am I wrong?

70% of accuracy is quite low, would you recommend something instead of Focus Blast?
While the accuracy is pretty bad, you really need focus blast for pokemon such as bisharp, Tyranitar, heatran, and ferrothorn.

Focus Blast is pretty important on Gengar with how well it muscles through shit like T-Tar, Bisharp and Heatran and the like. It sucks when it misses but it's not a move you can overlook, it's pretty much a staple on Gengar. (Damn, ninja'd. :[ )
Taunt is also mainly to stop Stall and setting up hazards and whatnot, his speed makes him quite a potent Taunter. Taunt is seen on many things considered 'frail' like Gengar and Mega Gardevoir to beat stall because forcing opposing defensive Pokemon to play on the offensive mons' terms is a fight you're probably going to win.

Focus Blast is pretty important on Gengar with how well it muscles through shit like T-Tar, Bisharp and Heatran and the like. It sucks when it misses but it's not a move you can overlook, it's pretty much a staple on Gengar. (Damn, ninja'd. :[ )
Taunt is also mainly to stop Stall and setting up hazards and whatnot, his speed makes him quite a potent Taunter. Taunt is seen on many things considered 'frail' like Gengar and Mega Gardevoir to beat stall because forcing opposing defensive Pokemon to play on the offensive mons' terms is a fight you're probably going to win.
I was thinking about using Excadrill with Rapid Spin to take out harzards so taunt wouln't be much of use.
I made a thread with the team I'm using on Rate my Team.

My Gengar so far has the moves:
Shadow Ball
Slusge Wave
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
I use it with Focus Sash.

I was thinking about using Excadrill with Rapid Spin to take out harzards so taunt wouln't be much of use.
I made a thread with the team I'm using on Rate my Team.

My Gengar so far has the moves:
Shadow Ball
Slusge Wave
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
I use it with Focus Sash.
You want to link me? I do team rates quite a bit so I could throw my 2 cents in if you want. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)