Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I didn't see Sm4sh, so what happened?

Nonetheless, like Brawl I rather think that the problem isn't so much the game as it is the metagame, players, rules. I don't know Sm4sh but I know Brawl runs the same time limit as Melee (and one less stock), so what's the deal? Obviously, Brawl matches tend to push time much more but if the time is a fucking problem then why the fuck don't you use a lower time limit? I mean come on, that's the reason it exists!

Edit: also lower stocks to accomodate if you don't want most games going to time; two stocks, five/six minutes for Brawl? Hell, even Melee could stand to drop the timer 1-2 minutes if, theoretically, every game going to time makes the tournament too long. (That means your timer is too generous.) I've personally never seen a Melee tourney match even go to time anyway, few even go to six minutes.
There is a balance in this.

People stopped playing with 5 minutes and moved to 6 for a reason. With the timer at 5 minutes, it became very realistic for a large portion of the cast to just focus on time out, killing your opponent twice is only something you would only actually ever do if your opponent either SD'd or if they were so under your skill level that you didn't have to play to win, you could just do w/e. This was getting to be problematic as the average of smash 4 games was increasingly pushing towards 5 minutes. With the 6 minute timer, the average game length has actually lowered since now it's harder to stall to time and it's gotten easier just to kill your opponent.

As the timer decreases past a certain point, game length is skewed because playing to time becomes the best strategy for the game. As the timer increases past a certain point, games become longer since people see that they have 15 minutes left where they can camp and just sit around looking for opportunities. Theres a balance you have to strike and "just fucking lower the time limit" doesn't solve it. The game ran at 5 minutes for months and it didn't work, thats why its at 6.

Also the new characters suck dick.

But.... I'm really feeling Shulk :c

Shulk actually feels like a return to Melee Marth's stupid horrifying range with sm4sh Marth randomly getting gutted for whatever reason, but that's why I enjoy using him.

Actually I like most of the new characters, although a lot of them feel similarly inspired and on the projectile-campy side (Duck Hunt, Pacman, and even the Koopas somewhat...). Rosaluma I can tolerate infinitely more than the Climbers and should honestly satiate most people that wanted a puppet character; ICG fans can go burn :>

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i like smash 4 more than melee cos i can actually play 4 without having to memorize a bunch of obscure tricks
??? This post is very confusing to me, this is a competitive Pokemon forum, memorizing obscure stuff is half of what we do. I played melee for years when I was younger and was in no way having less fun because I did not know l-cancelling and wave dashing. It's not like Smash 4 doesn't have obscure stuff, how has your perfect pivoting been, do you have memorized the list of true combos in the game and what percentage they need to be? Do you know when rage effect will net a KO with certain moves? If anything rage and the randomness it can cause will make for even more obscure combo tricks.

There are a lot of reasons to play Smash 4, it's new and has a lot of potential, the artstyle is great, amiibo is fun, custom items have untapped potential, wifi is not terrible, you like the playstyle of new characters, new modes are good. Just for a competitive game I don't think it's there.

Also not sure about your Shulk = Marth comment there Minwu, if you mean range I would compare it more to Ike with a tradeoff of less power. When I think Marth I think quick fast zoning, double fair and Ken Combo. Laggy Shulk doesn't agree with those notions.

Also not sure about your Shulk = Marth comment there Minwu, if you mean range I would compare it more to Ike with a tradeoff of less power. When I think Marth I think quick fast zoning, double fair and Ken Combo. Laggy Shulk doesn't agree with those notions.

I mean Shulk doesn't have some of the specific tricks of old Marth, but he still has ridiculous spacing options and a decent combo game due in part to that stupid uptilt of his. Ike's so laggy he can't really employ his range to that effect in the neutral game usually, and his nair/fair are definitely a lot easier to punish on landing. Meanwhile Shulk's Dsmash makes any disjoint Ike or Marth ever had look like a joke with the added bonus of having a decent chance to shield stab. Shulk also has multiple KO options including a decent spike, a counter, smash attacks, or Back Slash when your opponent locks themselves into it. He is basically just a very diverse character with unprecedented disjoints and tools for most situations.

Last edited:

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question, my buddy and me want to get Mewtwo when he's released but neither of us have both games. But I have the 3ds one and he's got the wii u version. Can we register our two games under a single name and get Mewtwo. Does it make a difference if mines a digital copy and his is physical?

xoxo (i want mewtwo)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That should work Joeyboy, get on that Club Nintendo and register, it will have to be with the one who has digital so get that happening.

Yep, from my understanding and based on past Club Nintendo promotions you should get an email in the coming months containing two download codes for the eShops of your respective systems, which means it should hopefully work for two people registering together.

A new update that adds amiibo functionality and the ability to share miis online has been released for the 3ds version of the game.

New update is really good. No major changes to characters. Some special move animations were made to be flashy. Replay sharing is nice.
Also Smash 4 at EVO will probably have custom moves enabled.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2ve3m6/smash_3ds_patch_105_info_thus_far/

Replays on 1.0.4. will be removed after updating to 1.0.5.

Options

• Manual "?" button bottom left of touch screen
  • Amiibo support with New 3DS
  • Post in-game photos to Miiverse
  • Share/download any Mii Fighter globally
  • Share/download any Replays globally
Characters

• Greninja running shadow sneak removed
  • Kirby silver bow hovering removed
  • Palutena super speed momentum removed
  • Lucario extreme speed hitstun cancel removed
  • Zelda pivot grab has a tweaked animation
  • Zelda visual effects added
  • Palutena visual effects added (up-air)
  • WFT visual effects (sun salutation)
Stages

• Omega WarioWare Inc. Stage has a better camera, no longer horrendously zoomed out
OTHER

• Patch 1.0.1 - 1.0.4 would start you off with two CPUs automatically in Solo free-for-all mode. This has been changed to start you off with one CPU.
  • People claim CPU AI has been improved, matching the Wii U AI. Lvl 9 Diddy can Hoo-Hah
Link can Wobble? BETTER NERF GRENINJA.

Everything's ok? BETTER NERF GRENINJA

Hoo-Hah? BETTER NERF GRENINJA

Yikes. I guess this means we will be seeing quite a few Donkey kong's in tournaments (seriously Kong cyclone is extremely overpowered).
well as long as they don't play on Battlefield (which is DK's best stage with customs on) they'll be fine.
i agree though kong cyclone is ridiculous. Timber Counter is also ridiculous.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
well as long as they don't play on Battlefield (which is DK's best stage with customs on) they'll be fine.
i agree though kong cyclone is ridiculous. Timber Counter is also ridiculous.
I was playing doubles once and my partner was a DK. He carried the shit out of me just spamming Kong cyclone alone. He even KO'd me once with it, he was so spastic. Snagging Aura Sphere and Timber Counter are nasty to deal with too. Most customs are balanced though, which is a relief.

I was playing doubles once and my partner was a DK. He carried the shit out of me just spamming Kong cyclone alone. He even KO'd me once with it, he was so spastic. Snagging Aura Sphere and Timber Counter are nasty to deal with too. Most customs are balanced though, which is a relief.
Yeah most of them are balanced. Garden is pretty good.
also unrelated to your post but it's too bad Pikachu's customs are meh.

breh

強いだね
looks fake imo; why not actually show gameplay?

Also mewtwo looks ugly as sin I hope that's not the actual icon......

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait, Mewtwo was on that roster. Isn't it impossible to get that data without downloading the dlc first?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
The quality of these leaks are on par with the earlier ESRB leaks. People have only had 3 months with SSB4 in order to record this information and properly make a video and synched it up with inputs, and have something that's correct to every last detail. There are no flaws with these leaks that anyone has found yet beyond the improbability of Rayman actually being in the game, to a disgusting degree of accuracy that basically anyone not working for a contract would skim over. People that have never worked with these things don't understand how much work it takes to do a flawless video edit like that.

A side project for someone who works in the entertainment industry that specializes in video editing could absolutely be a possibility. But to be honest, the fact that some movie editor would spend 2 or 3 months on a side project just to screw with some Nintendo fanboys for a few weeks sounds far less likely than Rayman actually being in the game.

I don't like Rayman or Ubisoft, but you gotta admit... this shits real.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
looks fake imo; why not actually show gameplay?

Also mewtwo looks ugly as sin I hope that's not the actual icon......
Did you not hear the denied selection noise at :13? He probably couldn't select him, this is probably a RAM hack that allowed him to see on disk dlc. The characters themselves probably aren't done but nintendo probably but them in the CSS as placeholder stuff on disk.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Did you not hear the denied selection noise at :13? He probably couldn't select him, this is probably a RAM hack that allowed him to see on disk dlc. The characters themselves probably aren't done but nintendo probably but them in the CSS as placeholder stuff on disk.
No, we can read WiiU disc data, just not write to it.

We have ripped everything from Smash for WiiU, some of the only beta elements still physically left in the game are some virus textures for a scrapped Dr. Mario stage, everything else are just names of unused pointers (of which refer to a few things we heard from old leaks like a Rhythm Heaven rep, etc). Nothing involving Mewtwo or Rayman is on the disc. Nintendo really isn't the kind of company to do on-disc DLC, their standards are a bit higher than that...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)