np: UU Stage 2 - Uptown Funk You Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jirachi leaving will be good for the tier. Its ability to bypass normal checks by clicking iron head kr zen headbutt is just annoying. Good riddance.

New drops:
Pinsir without mega stone is pretty much an inferior heracross imo. It could run a mold breaker set with SR on magic bounce users. But, otherwise wont make a big splash ibelieve.
Salamence: there are a lot of fairies and bulky steels in UU. Its bulky DD sets will probably be the best. One thing that makes it tough is that it wants to run dragon, ground and steel coverage along with DD and/or roost or sub. But, the unpredictability may push it too far for UU since when mispredict can cost you the game. Scarf Moxie mence will bethe most spammed set, but is pretty meh when you consider the number of steels and Fairies.
Heracross: this is coming from somebody who played gen v uu a good amount, hera has more checks than counters. Gligar and Granbull are probably the closest things to checks to the scarf and banded sets (assuming no status and facade especially on banded sets). There are checks in Crobat (very good check atm), Sash Zam, Mega Aero, bulky Nidoqueen sets, etc.. i remember people even ran aerial ace on scarf krook as a check,as well. Tough to switch into, more easier to check. Two things we dont have though is Sableye and Slowbro. They were probably the most common status users. WoW isnt as common from what ive seen outside of Weezing, Arcanine and an obscure Chandelure. But, well see what happens though. Oh and Mega Pidgeot is here too lol
Terrakion: i really want Terrak in tbe tier, its always been one of my favorites. But, this is probably one of the more easier broken mons. It has the ability to wallbreak with CB, RK with scarf sets, sweep with Double Dance sets, dedicated lead set. Unless you have priority fighting or steel (mach punch ape and vacuum wave lucario). Its going to be near impossible to reliably check. The only real counter to all of these sets ir probably Golurk lol

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aw, I made an anti-Pinsir team before I went to bed, woke up and found it to be obsolete. Amelia Badelia fucks it up again...

I expect Terrakion's SD sets to be his most dangerous. Base 108 has been a solid but not fantastic speed tier in OU this gen, especially since the ORAS drops, but it's still pretty good in UU (as Infernape can attest). With Starmie and Scarfrachi gone, there will only be a handful of mons to clear out before a sweep. His STABs alone are good enough thst you can be flexible in that last slot - Sub to prevent RKing and for Salac, Quick Attack or Rock Polish for offense, Taunt for stall. Heck, it could run rocks there for a set similar to Garchomp's in OU, immediately pressuring bulky teams after dropping rocks with SD. Double Dance with an air balloon sounds especially deadly, turning any Krook or EQ into a set up opportunity.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In my Opinion I feel Normal-Heracross is a good addition to the tier it not even broken because Crobat and Gligar can check/Counter it preety will

As you guys said , i don't think uu has the tools to deal with Terrakion.
Heracross is welcome , there is many mons that can check/counter this bug , in different playstyle : Weezing , Crobat , Gligar , Salamence , Doublade , Nidos , etc...
I think Fairies will be even more played, Jirachi is gone and they check Dragons and Fights mon.

Wasn't that only because it wasn't released till bank was in japan?
No, Bank was released at the time. It was mostly because at that time tiering was not based on weighted stats, and as such, the influence of bad players who were all hyped about new mons no matter how bad they were and didn't realize that Terrakion was good caused it to drop. Other factors such as the prominence of Swords Dance Aegislash and Azumarill at the time also counted. I.e. other crazy things that were UU/BL at the moment were Keldeo, Latias, Landorus-Incarnate, Chansey and Kyurem-Black.

No, Bank was released at the time. It was mostly because at that time tiering was not based on weighted stats, and as such, the influence of bad players who were all hyped about new mons no matter how bad they were and didn't realize that Terrakion was good caused it to drop. Other factors such as the prominence of Swords Dance Aegislash and Azumarill at the time also counted. I.e. other crazy things that were UU/BL at the moment were Keldeo, Latias, Landorus-Incarnate, Chansey and Kyurem-Black.
my mistake i do remember lati@s was UU

Hurray for Mega Pinsir Being banned although It was cool having a reason to slap a Rhyperior on all my teams(serious how the fuck you guys forgot about him as a check to Pinsir?)
Quick Thoughs on the general Drops:

Terakion:
May Our Hippowdons and our Doublades be ready

Salamence: Haleluiah for a Choice Scarf Cleaner I can use without being fucking Blind as fuck,
Prolly THE most versatile Drop UU is going to get probably ever,all of its sets are either really good or have a solid niche to be used over other mons we have Physically Based sets like CB,DD and Moxie Scarf no need to tell what those sets do because honestly they are kinda straight foward and the only competition it has is Haxorus and Lol Flygon,Specially Based Mence while kinda being a disapointing version of Kyurem,Hydreigon and Dragalge in dmg and honestly coverage wise wise has a cool niche of being able to switch into Choice Locked Figthing types and fire off a Nuke unlike all of the mons above(and no Dragalge can't switch into Figthing types without being defensive it can like come into safely via a x Method than threaten out something with a draco even if it takes like 60% dmg),And FatMence sounds absolutely Beautiful as a catch all check to Fire and Fighting Types while prolly doing well against a lot of physical atackers and thats scratching the surface.I really want it to stay in the tier even if only the scarf set is allowed by bizzar reasons because my hatred for Scarf Shao that misses JUMP KICK is so high that I have rage changed it to a scarf Haxorus a couple times.

Heracross:May our Lord Heracross come back,
Nothing to say about this dude that any UU Veteran doesn't know a absolutely FANTASTIC Wallbreaker with plenty of viable set options to play around and one of the biggest nightmares of all time to Balanced teams and Bug/Figthing Typing gives it a lot cool resists.definately seing a big rise in Gligars on Balanced teams and pretty much Crobat will become even more Omnipresent.Idk why you guys talking about a suspect/ban since its being UU for a long as fucking time and unlike Tini wasn't like something that could kill every single possible counter with 1 set lol but if it happens I will be honestly Devastated

Also few Mons that benefited and got worse due to the changes Crobat obviously benefited a lot because being able to check Hera is something amazing and with Raikou Gone Banded Sets can go to town vrs teams that can't fit in slower eletric types,Machamp pls kick this thing out of the A ranks and give space to lord Hera,Aero also got a alot of targets to revenge kill now and Aqua Tail Aero will prolly see a big rise in popularity,Haxorus honestly I don't think its as horrible as it sounds or most people will prolly make it out cause DD Sets always kinda sucked so him losing than to mence doesn't matter too much it prolly hates more the fact that Mence gives it competition as a CB User.Also SD Haxorus with Tailwind support was always the optimal way to use Haxorus the major thing it might now be the only way to run it

Jirachi leaving will be good for the tier. Its ability to bypass normal checks by clicking iron head kr zen headbutt is just annoying. Good riddance.

New drops:
Pinsir without mega stone is pretty much an inferior heracross imo. It could run a mold breaker set with SR on magic bounce users. But, otherwise wont make a big splash ibelieve.
Salamence: there are a lot of fairies and bulky steels in UU. Its bulky DD sets will probably be the best. One thing that makes it tough is that it wants to run dragon, ground and steel coverage along with DD and/or roost or sub. But, the unpredictability may push it too far for UU since when mispredict can cost you the game. Scarf Moxie mence will bethe most spammed set, but is pretty meh when you consider the number of steels and Fairies.
Heracross: this is coming from somebody who played gen v uu a good amount, hera has more checks than counters. Gligar and Granbull are probably the closest things to checks to the scarf and banded sets (assuming no status and facade especially on banded sets). There are checks in Crobat (very good check atm), Sash Zam, Mega Aero, bulky Nidoqueen sets, etc.. i remember people even ran aerial ace on scarf krook as a check,as well. Tough to switch into, more easier to check. Two things we dont have though is Sableye and Slowbro. They were probably the most common status users. WoW isnt as common from what ive seen outside of Weezing, Arcanine and an obscure Chandelure. But, well see what happens though. Oh and Mega Pidgeot is here too lol
Terrakion: i really want Terrak in tbe tier, its always been one of my favorites. But, this is probably one of the more easier broken mons. It has the ability to wallbreak with CB, RK with scarf sets, sweep with Double Dance sets, dedicated lead set. Unless you have priority fighting or steel (mach punch ape and vacuum wave lucario). Its going to be near impossible to reliably check. The only real counter to all of these sets ir probably Golurk lol

New drops:
you double posted lol. now to put in my thoughts so it's not like spam:
terrakion. i was never expecting to see this, lol. it destroys a lot of this tier, you need to basically run something to counter it. imo this will get bl.
mega-pinsir. well, it's banned, what do i have to say?
heracross. my first experience with heracross is now, and i'm loving it already. i'd say uu, mega bl.
salamence. this is the first time i've ever used this too, and i like the dd set. i'd say bl.
jirachi. THANK YOU THIS IS FINALLY OU
raikou. why did ou steal it, i don't really know. but anyway, get your heliolisks and jolteons out!
celebi. nothing replaces this, it was a really good mon. #RipCelebi
starmie. i never even used this, idk how it's like.
reminder everything here is my opinion! yellow skarmory

It's surreal how a pokemon like M-Pinsir can drop due to usage and get quick banned altogether in 12 hours.

Looking at the current UU viability rankings, is there anything that can safely switch into a Terrakion (assuming not choiced)? Gligar seems very obvious, and Cresselia makes sense as well, but for teams that don't run either of the two is it possible to play around? The rock/fighting STAB is just so potent in this metagame that I don't see many answers to it besides the previous mentioned.
landorus-i was banned just as quickly back in uu beta (and honestly good riddance, that shit literally 6-0'd teams by itself)

i'd say that gligar, doublade and cress are your best answers atm wrt beating terrak

you double posted lol. now to put in my thoughts so it's not like spam:
terrakion. i was never expecting to see this, lol. it destroys a lot of this tier, you need to basically run something to counter it. imo this will get bl.
mega-pinsir. well, it's banned, what do i have to say?
heracross. my first experience with heracross is now, and i'm loving it already. i'd say uu, mega bl.
salamence. this is the first time i've ever used this too, and i like the dd set. i'd say bl.
jirachi. THANK YOU THIS IS FINALLY OU
raikou. why did ou steal it, i don't really know. but anyway, get your heliolisks and jolteons out!
celebi. nothing replaces this, it was a really good mon. #RipCelebi
starmie. i never even used this, idk how it's like.
reminder everything here is my opinion! yellow skarmory
How would you say mence is broken? He's strong, but manageable in my experience. His DD set is strong, but fails to even 2HKO common walls. The mixed set is good, but beatable and easy to play around, not including being easy to revenge. I'd say mence is very balanced.

How would you say mence is broken? He's strong, but manageable in my experience. His DD set is strong, but fails to even 2HKO common walls. The mixed set is good, but beatable and easy to play around, not including being easy to revenge. I'd say mence is very balanced.
The unpredictabity and versatility is what makes mence so dangerous. The fact is that it CAN run all these sets, nt that tbis set is countered by x and this set by y. The fact is that it has the means to bypass its counters with relative ease and puts immediateoy more pressure on the opponent rather than the mence user. Physically defensive walls not named granbull and aromatisse are blasted by d meteor. Fairies are blasted by iron tail. It has subroost and intimidate for longevity. DD for breaking walls with very few checks at that base 100 speed. And scarf as an efficient late game cleaner as long as steels and fairies are gone or weakened. There is barely a mon in all of UU that can handle mence with all its options. Its very similar to Victini in nuking power and versatility. mence and terrak are easily broken.

Also, sorry for double posting. My phone did that...

Get Mega Pincir out of UU. Everything else in the change is alright. There are good checks to everything I've played against and have used so far, except for Mega Pinsir. Get it out ASAP.

Get Mega Pincir out of UU. Everything else in the change is alright. There are good checks to everything I've played against and have used so far, except for Mega Pinsir. Get it out ASAP.
Mega Pinsir is already banned, its in the OP.

Anyway I'm enjoying the tier right now, without Jirachi on every other team UU feels a lot less bland. Honestly barring Terrakion I feel like all of the drops have the potential to stay, and I really like that since they make the meta favor Mega Aero who is my absolute favorite mon to put on offense at the moment.

EDIT: Also could someone tell me who the hell that guy in the middle of the picture is in the OP?

No worries it's goooone.

Well now that Heracross is back in my favorite tier I'm gonna try to be super active in discussions.
All the changes spell doom for mega-beedrill usage probably but but I can see super saiyan pidgeot getting a lot of usage now. I honestly can't see Terrakion stocking around for too long. While ORAS didn't help it much in OU (almost every addition jacks it up.) It is simply too powerful for OU. If you're not packing a Doublade you need to prepare your butthole. Salamence could be the biggest question. It requires a lot of planning and thinking to work around, but it is possible. With fairies and rocks running around the tier. Should be fun and I can't wait to start making heracross teams again :)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Mega Pinsir is already banned, its in the OP.

Anyway I'm enjoying the tier right now, without Jirachi on every other team UU feels a lot less bland. Honestly barring Terrakion I feel like all of the drops have the potential to stay, and I really like that since they make the meta favor Mega Aero who is my absolute favorite mon to put on offense at the moment.

EDIT: Also could someone tell me who the hell that guy in the middle of the picture is in the OP?
It's kokoloko lol.

Anyways my thoughts are basically on par with TBO's in that Mega Pinsir and Terrak will leave but everything else has a chance to stay. I am so glad to see my fren Hera back in UU and Mence is a very nice addition to check Fire and Fighting spam all at once along with a nice ability in Intimidate. I will post more once I have tested the meta a bit but as of right now I am sad to see some favorites go (Celebi and Starmie) but happy to see some old frens (Hera and Mence).

With the return of Custap Berry, there are gonna be a few new annoying lead sets that appear. Forretress appears to be a solid lead now for HO teams, with Sturdy + Custap all but guaranteeing SR and a layer of Spikes. There're probably better users out there though, but HO has just gotten a nifty little boost.

As much as I want Terrak to stay, I don't think the majority of players will agree that it is healthy for the meta :[

The only things I think that could really switch in on most terrak variants would be physically defensive hippo, defensive gligar, and like mega-audino or something. The issue is with the CB set. I think the LO and Scarf sets are pretty manageable (most teams should have two fighting resist and at least something to resist SR), and if something is clocked into a fighting move, you shouldn't be staying in, like the argument for keldeo in BW2 was that if keldeo is locked into hp electric, you shouldn't keep jelicent in.

imo I would love it to stay, but it has so much power and too much speed. but i want it to stay :]

Terrakion does, in fairness, have a few viable checks in the tier, particularly Chesnaught, Gligar, and defensive Nidoqueen (maybe Granbull too I didn't calc it), but I don't expect it to be sticking around.
Um... 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 184-217 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 260-306 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-222 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 114-135 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So, gligar? and maybe hippo...

Um... 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 184-217 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 260-306 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-222 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 114-135 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So, gligar? and maybe hippo...
0 SpA Life Orb Terrakion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 166-198 (49.7 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah, Stone Edge 3HKOs, you are faster, and Gligar can't OHKO back. It has to Roost stall you, but Stone Edge has a high crit chance, so Gligar isn't looking too good as a counter.
Though I see HP Ice as a viable option on LO sets, if Gligar is really giving you problems.

Yee, time for gourgeist-xl to rise temporarily, only has a 9% chance to be 2hko'd by band stone edge with rocks... still not great but lol anything for giant pumpkin.

Gligar seems decent enough as a counter, since despite stone edge having a high crit chance it also has a high miss chance and low pp. Altogether the average is 0.8 crits per 8 uses, which isn't great for terrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)