ORAS Doubles OU My First VGC Team

Hey there! Thanks for checking out this thread.
I'm trying to create a suitable team for possible competitive play at tournaments. This one is all about Sun.
Keep in mind this is in no way final and I'm just looking for some help. :)
Here we go!
Venusaur (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
On this team, Venusaur works with Charizard in the lead. Venusaur Uses sleep powder to immobilize potential threats, while it can use Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain to take them down. If all else fails, Protect comes in handy while Charizard Y sweeps. It's ability, Chlorophyll, doubles it's speed allows it to almost always go first early-game.

Charizard (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect
On this team, Charizard works with Venusaur in the lead. Since Charizard-Y has Drought, it can make Heat Wave bring mass destruction. Protect is more of a 'just in case' move, to see what the opponent has or to block an incoming move.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
On this team, Bisharp brings much-needed Physical coverage. Knock Off is useful in general, being able to rid the opponent of important items, like Bisharp also gives the team some good type coverage. The black glasses are more filler, currently, but it powers up Sucker Punch, a powerful STAB move.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
On this team, Rotom-Wash uses the traditional Chesto-Rest strategy, while supplying good speed for Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump, and good HP for support Volt Switch. Rotom can make a good wall when paired with Charizard and Venusaur both.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk /252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
Mamoswine is mostly a counter for Thundurus-Taunt, as well as being a good bulky attacker. I need Mamoswine on my team because it supplies an important counter for the electric type to help protect Charizard-Y. Choice Scarf is important (well, duh) because it allows Mamoswine to sweep well.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Follow Me
Togekiss is the team's uber-bulky support. Using Togekiss to redirect moves that you might not want on an 'attacking' Pokemon. Heal Bell allows Togekiss to free itself of status it may redirect, while Thunder Wave is used to immobilize the other team.

Thanks for reading, and I would really appreciate your help!

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Nice team! However, this is a VGC team, so it should have the tag VGC rather than Doubles. Doubles refers to Smogon Doubles, which is a different tier, and you'll probably get better help if you label it properly.

I'm a smogon doubles player, but I think I would make a few changes.

You have no physical attackers. I would remove the most reduntant members (Chansey has zero offensive presence and Venusaur is better than Roserade and stacks typing) and replace them with Bisharp and Landorus T.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U Turn
- Superpower

Otherwise, I would remove Outrage on Charizard Y, as it deals minimal damage, targets at random, and can keep you locked. I recommend Overheat, but if you really want dragon coverage use dragon pulse instead. Change its nature to Timid.

Wow, thanks a ton! I'll try it out. I was actually trying to minimize Legendaries on my team because they would be the most difficult to obtain legitimately for tournaments, but perhaps I'll figure it out.

As this topic might be closed soon, please read the RMT rules threat first. All pokes must have at least 3 lines of description, saying their roles in the team and etc. :)

All I can say is, beware of thundurus taunter, it wrecks ur venuZard strategy. Try using garchomp in replacement of roserade.

As this topic might be closed soon, please read the RMT rules threat first. All pokes must have at least 3 lines of description, saying their roles in the team and etc. :)

All I can say is, beware of thundurus taunter, it wrecks ur venuZard strategy. Try using garchomp in replacement of roserade.
Oh no, I had no idea! Alright, I shall do that. I thought of Garchomp, but I was like, 'eh...' so I used Roserade. Perhaps if I can find a legitimate counter to Thundeurus...

Last edited:
You mention that Bisharp can knock off mid game mega stones. Knock off does not have the ability to remove mega stones, not even on switch ins. Knock off is a great move for bisharp, but just wanted to clear that up.

You mention that Bisharp can knock off mid game mega stones. Knock off does not have the ability to remove mega stones, not even on switch ins. Knock off is a great move for bisharp, but just wanted to clear that up.
Ah, I see. /the more you knooowww./ Alright, thank you! Well, it's good for items in general.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
There's almost no reason to bring a starmie on this team. Hazards are not common in doubles. I actually forgot what was originally on the team besides zard, venu, chansey, washtom, and roserade, but use that>Starmie. I remember the other mon fitting reasonably well.

If you really hate Thundy, and don't want to use legends, use Scarf Mamoswine > Weavile/Lando T. Scarf Mamo resists or is immune to all of thundy's attacks, besides the focus blast set, but it kills with icicle crash anyways. Mamo also deals with mega mence and opposing lando t.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Also, you really need to write more describing your team roles--about 3 lines worth. Otherwise, this thread could be locked for not following RMT rules.

There's almost no reason to bring a starmie on this team. Hazards are not common in doubles. I actually forgot what was originally on the team besides zard, venu, chansey, washtom, and roserade, but use that>Starmie. I remember the other mon fitting reasonably well.

If you really hate Thundy, and don't want to use legends, use Scarf Mamoswine > Weavile/Lando T. Scarf Mamo resists or is immune to all of thundy's attacks, besides the focus blast set, but it kills with icicle crash anyways. Mamo also deals with mega mence and opposing lando t.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Also, you really need to write more describing your team roles--about 3 lines worth. Otherwise, this thread could be locked for not following RMT rules.
I read the rules, tried to fix the tag, it didn't work. I'll have to fix the text later.

Thanks a ton for the help! I'll try it.

Last edited:
chariy: solarbeam+overheat>dragonpulse+focusblast because you probably wont be faster than dragons and focusblasts accuracy is bad

bisharp: sash>black glasses

and something that can beat heatran>togekiss because it walls almost everything and it wont stop rockslide/earthquake/heatwave spam anyway. you could also try out mamoswine with lo (or give scarfmamoswine more bulk if you keep it) and rotom with protect>rest and sitrus berry and see if your team works better then

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)