Niche Discovery

Why use Seed Bomb when Leaf Blade is better in every way on Shiftry?

I checked, it does learn it via Nuzleaf's levelup moves, or is there something I'm missing? Is it that important to avoid contact?
Leaf Blade only got added to Shiftry in ORAS. Not many people have caught on, I guess.

Why use Seed Bomb when Leaf Blade is better in every way on Shiftry?

I checked, it does learn it via Nuzleaf's levelup moves, or is there something I'm missing? Is it that important to avoid contact?
I just didn't know it had leaf blade (i haven't used the shiftry set myself yet actually). Fixing it now.

I actually went into a ladder match with that set (the updated leafblade one) to check for incompatibilities and I was able to find a match, so it should be incompatible (in aaa atleast).

I actually went into a ladder match with that set (the updated leafblade one) to check for incompatibilities and I was able to find a match, so it should be incompatible (in aaa atleast).
Yeah, it should be incompatible. Leaf Blade is only learned by Nuzleaf in ORAS, but it cannot be tutored Sucker Punch until it evolves into Shiftry.

But can't you just make it learn leaf blade, don't remove it, evolve, then tutor Sucker Punch?

Anyway, since my best OM is BH, let's see what I can find.
This is a bit mediocre, but w/e

M-Steelix@Leftovers
Ability:Prankster
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Amnesia
- Glare
- Sacred Fire

Simple Prankster set. Leftovers provide passive recovery, and it's for a lack of a better item as well. Prankster is to get off many status moves to cripple the opponent. Slack Off can provide quick recovery when you're in a pinch. Amnesia is to boost that horrendous special defense so special attackers don't have a cake day with Steelix. Glare is to paralyze any annoying sweepers that aren't ghost and provides paralysis that can affect ground-types such as Groudon-P. Sacred Fire is to not become taunt bait and to give M-Steelix an attacking option. It also provides burns to annoy opposing Pokemon.

P.S. Snaquaza, it's me reshesect from PS!

Last edited:
But can't you just make it learn leaf blade, don't remove it, evolve, then tutor Sucker Punch?

Anyway, since my best OM is BH, let's see what I can find.
This is a bit mediocre, but w/e

M-Steelix@Leftovers
Ability:Prankster
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Amnesia
- Glare
- Sacred Fire

Simple Prankster set. Leftovers provide passive recovery, and it's for a lack of a better item as well. Prankster is to get off many status moves to cripple the opponent. Slack Off can provide quick recovery when you're in a pinch. Amnesia is to boost that horrendous special defense so special attackers don't have a cake day with Steelix. Glare is to paralyze any annoying sweepers that aren't ghost and provides paralysis that can affect ground-types such as Groudon-P. Sacred Fire is to not become taunt bait and to give M-Steelix an attacking option. It also provides burns to annoy opposing Pokemon.

P.S. Snaquaza, it's me reshesect form PS!
Leaf Blade is not learned by Nuzleaf prior to ORAS. Shiftry does not get Leaf Blade by Move Relearner, not even in ORAS. Sucker Punch is not a tutor move in ORAS. You cannot transfer Pokémon back to previous gens. So, sadly, Leaf Blade + Sucker Punch is incompatible.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Week 2:

These are four very different flying types, so should be good in very different formats! Have fun posting sets for whatever you can think of! Please be creative and show us what Rayquaza, Togekiss, Swanna and Delibird can do! I'll update the database soon.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are PU and FU ok if the pokemon are legal for it? I won't do an obvious set like swanna actually being good in PU

Leaf Blade is not learned by Nuzleaf prior to ORAS. Shiftry does not get Leaf Blade by Move Relearner, not even in ORAS. Sucker Punch is not a tutor move in ORAS. You cannot transfer Pokémon back to previous gens. So, sadly, Leaf Blade + Sucker Punch is incompatible.
Oh, sorry about that, thought that Sucker Punch was a tutor move

Mediocremons

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Defog
- Roost

Swanna is pretty damn fast and carries a lot of immediate power in its STABs. Access to Defog makes it a pretty solid support mon for offensive teams. The set is self-explanatory. Scald is the Water STAB of choice for the sexy burn chance and Hurricane is a high powered STAB that annihilates common Scald switch-ins (its accuracy, however, can be kind of a letdown. If you mind missing so much or aren't using rain, I recommend Air Slash; though it is substantially weaker, it still damages Grass-Type switch-ins). Defog is one of the main reasons to use Swanna, since hazards from the likes of Klefki and Nidoqueen are very annoying to offense or balance. Swanna's speed allows it to get off a Defog on most of the metagame. Roost helps Swanna shrug off LO recoil and hazard damage.

Hydration is the ability of choice since Swanna's other ones have very little utility in a competitive situation. The added plus of being able to beat Klefki 100% under rain due to immunity to TWave and Toxic is great as well.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PU
Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Herpaderp, swanna is good in PU. This isn't imaginative or anything, but it had to be mentioned since Swanna is B+ in a large OM. It's the only offensive defogger that PU gets, but it's a great option that also checks throh and poliwrath, which are two of the biggest threats right now.

FU
Delibird @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch
- Destiny Bond/Fake out

Offensive spikes lead Delibird isn't too common in FU, but it has several great attributes. If you want to run Quilladin for spikes it has shit synergy with the tier's premier spin blocker, gourgeist. Delibird is also faster than taunt/rocks krokorok by 1 base speed and can OHKO gabite with the hustle ice punch. Fake out is cool to break the sash on krokorok and sometimes gabite as well as racking up residual damage, but destiny bond is great to play around with and it sucks when you miss. Delibird suffers from only getting up one spike against things like Electabuzz and Rapidash, but it still has a solid niche and is currently B on viability rankings, for what I'd assume is the lead set.

Almost Any Ability

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 SpA
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Air Slash / Thunder Wave / Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss isn't seen a whole lot in AAA, but I kind of wanted to try it out because of its really solid defensive typing and stats. I was using it as a sort of pivot on an offensive team that had stuff like Sheer Force Gene and PrimoSea Magnezone, so I wanted to see how a Nasty Pass set fared; to be frank, it surpassed my expectations and does something that not too many mons in AAA have room to do/can do. Delta Stream removes a ton of weaknesses like Rock, Ice, and Electric and leaves Toge only two weaknesses in Steel and Poison (the former becoming exceedingly dangerous the more I see MegaGross and the obvious Gene and Poison being scary for Gengar and that's pretty much it). The SpDef spread helps since the physical attacks Toge will usually be taking are going to be resisted, like Knock Offs, CCs, what have you. You could opt for a more phys.def spread if you want to to take frigespeeds better maybe, but I prefer SpDef.

Basically the core idea is to set up plots on weaker walls or specially based, non-boosting attackers like Vaporeon, Defensive tran (as long as no heavy SpA investment and no flash cannon), and Ferrothorn since we don't run max speed and you can roost stall them. Once you set up a decent number of NPs you can pass out to fast sweepers like Shaymin-S, Deo-Speed, and the like who can wallbreak for stuff like Tini, SD Skarm, etc. Roost is for recovery so you can set up on stuff and Air Slash is the primary filler slash. It lets you do some damage to Ferro at +6 and lets you hit a lot of stuff neutrally due to Flying just being really good offensively. If you're okay with foregoing an attack, you can opt to TWave special attackers in order to set up on them. Dazzling Gleam is a cool option as well, allowing you to beat M-Sableye 1-on-1 easier.

If you aren't into NastyPass, Delta Stream Toge can act as a cool Defogger and cleric with Heal Bell. You can choose to sweep if it's your fancy due to Toge's great coverage, but I haven't tried that and won't be so quick to recommend that. It's always cool to see Toge do work though :]

This is my first time doing this, so if I screw up somehow, don't be surprised...

350 Cup:

Delibird @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard / Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace
- Seed Bomb

What's special about Delibird in 350 cup is that, compared to all other possible Hustle users in the tier, Delibird is the fastest gaining 150 base speed. As long as there aren't rocks on the field, Delibird can do work. As shown below, Ice Shard may be run over Ice Punch if there are unremovable hazards on the field, as Adamant Staravia leaves Delibird with a minimum of 4% health, from 100% health. However, Ice Punch is indefinately preferred against Shroomish. Brick Break allows Delibird to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan when Adamant, or a 58% chance to OHKO if not Adamant, as well as 3HKOing Max HP Max Defense Ferroseed after Leftovers, and is otherwise for maximum damage. Aerial Ace 2HKOs most Timburr, which in combination with Ice Shard would be a guaranteed kill, as Delibird can even live a Fire Punch or Thunder Punch from it, but unfortunately not a Stone Edge. Lastly, Seed Bomb OHKOs any non-defensive Kyogre (as well as outspeeding scarf Kyogre even when adamant), and 2HKOs Arceus-Water. However, it still 3HKOs Max Defense Max HP Slowpoke.
Sure, it has it weak points, but Delibird can still hit hard.

(350 Cup) 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Delibird Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shroomish: 312-368 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(350 Cup) 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Delibird Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed: 152-180 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(350 Cup) 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Delibird Seed Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 382-450 (111.6 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(350 Cup) 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Delibird Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Timburr: 362-428 (71.8 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(350 Cup) 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Delibird Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Staravia: 492-578 (136.2 - 160.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(350 Cup) 252+ Atk Staravia Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Delibird: 262-309 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Togekiss is a great Pokemon in Hidden Type and always has been, with one of its more useful traits being that it's one of a small pool of Pokemon that resists both Fighting and Dark -and in fact it can get away with adding Steel (Or Dark, I guess) and still be resistant to Fighting and Dark! That's very unusual, and makes it one of the few things that can reliably stop a Poison Scrafty's rampage if it's gotten going -especially since Steel typing renders it immune to Poison Jab. Fire typing is another alternative, albeit it is doubly weak to Stealth Rock and Stealth Rock is an excellent move in Hidden Type just for the ability to scout out typing, but Togekiss actually gets Flamethrower/Fireblast and with all the things that love adding Steel typing it can be worth it just for the damage output -it lets Togekiss breeze right through Steel Clefable, for instance, and with a bit of luck it can cripple, drive out, or even kill Steel Dragonite. (Flying Heatran doesn't care about anything you can do, though, and if it's carrying Ancient Power/Stone Edge it can pop you like a balloon) But Steel typing is the overall best option for Togekiss, particularly since it renders it immune to Toxic and Sandstorm damage, and the only added weakness is Fire. (Of course, this means a Fire Togekiss will tend to counter a Steel Togekiss...)

Togekiss itself can fill a variety of roles, being a passable Wish passer not to mention carrying Heal Bell, having acceptable offense backed by access to Nasty Plot and a reasonably wide movepool, enough bulk for most purposes backed by Roost, and able to set Tailwind to either make up for its own lackluster Speed or support an ally who also has lackluster Speed. It also is one of several options for (sigh) Paraflinching things to death, having access to Thunder Wave for some bizarre reason and of course Air Slash. One of its biggest strengths is this versatility -while its typing rarely varies (It can pull off Fighting, for instance, but the STAB on Aura Sphere is generally not impressive enough of a boost to justify it over Steel, especially since so many things Fighting is normally good against take Ghost for immunity) its actual role on its team can be hard to parse ahead of time, which can cause the opponent to slip up and bring in the wrong thing while Togekiss capitalizes on their mistake. Furthermore, even with having only two types that it strongly favors, the only shared weakness across the two types is Electric. A good team probably should be carrying Electric coverage in Hidden Type, but it's quite rare for things to actually be weak to Electric in Hidden Type (Gyarados will usually be Ground typed and thus immune, for instance), so it's not unusual for a team to have only one Pokemon carrying an Electric move at all.

Its main flaws remain its dubious Speed tier, the fact that its normal STABs are weak -75 BP on Air Slash and 80 BP on Dazzling Gleam is disappointing- and its propensity for 4MSS. More debatably, Steel is such a popular add in Hidden Type in general that teams often carry multiple anti-Steel options (Sometimes literally every Pokemon has an anti-Steel move!) -even then, Fire is the only one that presents a real problem for Togekiss, barring slow Earthquakes catching it mid-Roost, and since Fire is a surprisingly legitimate add for Togekiss the opponent may be unwilling to take the risk that you're not Steel until they've managed to scout your typing.

It's actually really hard to identify threats to Togekiss. There are Pokemon that specific Togekiss variations may switch out on in frustration -again, Flying Heatran doesn't care about your offenses- but actual Electric types are largely unpopular in Hidden Type (Zapdos being a notable exception, and less commonly Eeelektross) and little else is a reliable check/counter to all viable Togekiss builds. (And even then, I've seen Ground Togekiss, though at least Thundurus can Hidden Power Ice right through it if Togekiss doesn't KO it or anything) Gengar is one of the only ones I can think of, and even then Gengar doesn't like staying in on Thunder Wave, and often carries Dark, taking away its crucial Fairy resistance.

Sample sets

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SpD (Adds Steel)
- Air Slash/Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave/Heal Bell
- Roost
- Wish

Wall things, Paralyze them, chip them down or Wish pass, whatever. Or Thunder Wave is replaced by Heal Bell and you have a utility Pokemon. Toxic isn't recommended because so many things are immune to Toxic in Hidden Type, and Togekiss has better things to fill its slots.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe (Adds Fire)
- Dazzling Gleam/Air Slash
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Roost/Tailwind

A more offensive set. A particularly effective thing is to run Roost (Or replace Roost with a third offensive move) and have something pass off an Agility to it, with a more Speed-specced EV set, Nasty Plot after the pass, and start killing things, though you need to get rid of Heatran if the enemy has it before you start. Azumarill is also a problem, since it can Aqua Jet you to death even if you try to Air Slash it out of existence. Regardless, it's a very effective strategy if you can get into position -and if you have other things that appreciate the Baton Pass, it can be a fairly flexible strategy too. Just find other things that want an Agility ad mix them in.

----

I might cover (Mega) Rayquaza for Stat Switch Ubers later. I'm not sure.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the posts guys! We'll move to the next week yet again.

Week 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.

These are all very different Pokemon, that can be useful in many ways. How are they useful and how can they be abused? Are they underrated in any cool metagame? Have fun posting your sets, ideologies and show me what you got!

Groudon-Primal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance / Defog
- Spore / Recover / Trick
- Searing Shot / Lava Plume / Magma Storm
- Earth Power / Freeze-Dry / Moonblast / Frost Breath

This is Bulky Poison Heal Groudon. It's the mon with the most physical bulk that can feasibly pull off a Quiver Dance set. The large number of slashes are due to the many options. First off, Groudon would like as much physical bulk as possible for after it sets up. This is considerably easier to pull off against more passive teams. Trick allows you to beat certain walls, as well as cripple the likes of Recycle Shedinja if not running Magma Storm.(Be warned, this will neutralize your Poison Heal, and is thus not recommended.) The Fire move of choice is largely up to preference. Lava Plume is used if PP is an issue, and Magma Storm removes Shedinja, while Searing Shot is the most consistently powerful fire move with the 30% burn rate. The fourth move allows you to choose your counters. Earth Power beats Flash Fire steels, Freeze-Dry beats Gyarados and has good neutral coverage with the Fire move. Moonblast beats Giratina and Frost Breath allows you to win against Quiver Dance dragons and beat Baton Pass teams(Not that you shouldn't have other means of dealing with them anyway.)
The EVs hit a jump point in Defense while maximising physical bulk.

Oddly enough, Aurorus is actually fairly useful in Inverse. Ice is the Best Type, defensively, and even though Rock is vulnerable to the omnipresent Normal spam it's otherwise a reasonably useful type defensively, being resistant to Grass (The best offensive type after Normal, and in some ways superior to Normal) and Water (Crucial as a counter to Grass) and Ground, Fighting, and even Steel, all of which are important offensive types. It is vulnerable to Flying as well, which is problematic (Even in Inverse, Talonflame is still quite powerful), and again, it's weak to Normal and that's bad, but if you can work around these flaws its main flaws of note are just being slow and lacking recovery. (Well, OK and its best Special Rock move is Ancient Power) It is also very easy to accidentally give it a set that is completely walled by Flying types (Rock/Ice/Electric offense is the obvious route for Aurorus, and Flying resists all of them), but this is easily fixed by giving it Earth Power. (Probably over Ancient Power, in all honesty)

Of course, it also lacks boosting moves, and its access to Stealth Rock is merely OK in Inverse, but it's actually surprisingly possible, due to its typing, to rely on Leftovers and/or Rest to keep Aurorus in the game, and it hits reasonably hard. It is one way of laughing at Avalugg, due to its solid Special Ice offense, and can switch in on most Grass and Water threats safely and then drive them out with its offense. Many opponents are also unaware Aurorus gets Electric moves, and thus often expect their Grass type to be safe staying in, when in actuality even Carnivine (Immune to Earth Power) isn't safe.

It's not something to put on just any team -it's basically a liability against Normal spam teams if you lack adequate support- and in some ways is a bit niche, but Rock/Ice is actually a really good typing in Inverse, one that no other Pokemon brings to the table, and Refrigerated Hyper Voice can be nice when people try to use Substitutes. (Which is a thing that happens in Inverse, honest)

Sample set

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power/Ancient Power
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock/Rest/Thunder Wave

I think I'll cover the terror that is (Mega) Aerodactyl in Metagamiate tomorrow. Assuming I don't just flat-out forget...

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aurorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Substitute

Aurorus in PU is very threatening. It can run other sets like physical Rock Polish but this is imo one of the best sets. It's one of the most difficult Pokemon to switch into with perfect neutral coverage and unresisted Hyper Voice hits like a truck.

LO Aurorus works very well on teams that need a wallbreaker that dismantles members of common defensive cores sch as Poliwrath, Roselia, Tangela, Carracosta and Pelipper. It can also help set up sr and take advantage of choice-locked Dodrio.

Aerodactyl in Metagamiate is a nasty customer, able to either run Double Edge+Rock Head (Regular Aerodactyl with a Sash) or Return/Frustration as Mega Aerodactyl, and either way it hits really hard with a no-disadvantage 100% accurate Rock move while outspeeding most of the meta. The result is sufficiently far ahead of Aerodactyl's other moves -particularly for Mega Aerodactyl, which has nothing else that is STAB+Tough Claws boosted let alone is an -ated move off a ridiculous base- that coverage is a "nice", not a "necessary". You might as well run Earthquake just to deal with the likes of Lucario (Doubly resists Rock, for one), but you're also more free to carry support moves -Mega Aerodactyl can pull off carrying Roost, for instance, to let it tank Stealth Rock, so long as you're careful to switch it in on one of Metagamiate's crucial walls (Hippowdon, Skarmory) rather than a straight attacker, otherwise you may well die horribly. It is absolutely viable to run something like Return/Earthquake/Roost/Toxic (Toxic for Hippowdon and other, non-Skarmory Physical walls) and still tear through much of the meta. (Though Bronzong will wall you effortlessly, which is in fact relevant, as its immunity to Ground+Rock resistance+Dragon resistance is extremely helpful for walling a lot of the tier's major Physical attackers)

252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 187-220 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Look at that! (Life Orb simulates the -ate boost) You don't even need a coverage move for Skarmory, and in fact it's a waste of a moveslot.

Aerodactyl does have its flaws, however. Firstly, it is extremely vulnerable to priority, which is far more common in Metagamiate than in most tiers -Terrakion runs Quick Attack, for instance, which does

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 198-234 (65.7 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

a ton of damage, so Terrakion can revenge Aerodactyl pretty effortlessly -add a Band to the above and you get

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle (Simulating the Band) Terrakion Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 291-346 (96.6 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

this. It's extremely dangerous to stay in on Terrakion, even though your own Earthquake is a clean OHKO -and there's plenty of other examples out there, such as Extreme Speed Raikou, which Mega Aerodactyl would normally handily outspeed and KO.

Secondly, the Rock typing in particular is less appealing in Metagamiate than in a standard tier for several reasons, for all that it provides the basis of Aerodactyl's impressive offense. After all, only Normal types will be using Normal moves, effectively mooting that resistance, Steel is no longer capped at 80 BP or the odd 90 and instead hits with 132.3 BP moves, not even counting the likes of Rock Head Double Edge Aggron, which is somewhere over 150 BP in effect, so the Steel weakness is considerably more acute, and Water is a very popular type in Metagamiate for offense. (The Fighting, Grass, and especially Ground weaknesses are counterbalanced by the Flying typing, thankfully)

Weakness to Stealth Rock is also a problem, albeit one that Roost can minimize -but a turn spent Roosting is a turn not spent wrecking things.

Lastly, in the event that you end up Paralyzed, unless you have a cleric (Which is extremely difficult to pull off in Metagamiate) Aerodactyl is more-or-less useless, probably only good as a sacrifice. This is more common than you might think, since several Pokemon do in fact run Body Slam -most notably Jirachi (You have no business switching in on Jirachi, but you might think it's safe to stay in when it revenges and it turns out to be Scarfed) who will likely Paralyze you if you even survive, and Togekiss, who isn't going to be KOing you but could well Paralyze you on the switch-in (Even aside from its Thunder Wave access), and is otherwise a tempting switch-in opportunity for Aerodactyl.

There's also the point that Bronzong is difficult to push past. For Mega Aerodactyl this is manageable

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 170-202 (50.2 - 59.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

but this is getting into 4MSS territory, since another use of Aerodactyl is putting up Stealth Rock, and it's not safe to switch in on Bronzong by any stretch of the imagination, unlike most Physical walls.

0 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 336-396 (111.6 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So in summary: it's a holepuncher, but one that can come apart very completely very abruptly.

Sample sets.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang/Crunch/Roost/Taunt
- Stealth Rock/Roost/Taunt/Toxic

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Crunch/Roost/Taunt
- Stealth Rock/Roost/Taunt/Toxic

If you're running Mega Aerodactyl Unnerve should be your base to block Berry use -Harvest Trevenant in particular is, in fact, a thing, whereas Rock Head is useless and Pressure is extremely limited in use. Stat-boosting berries also crop up at times, usually Speed, and blocking them is legitimately useful. Speed in particular will provide no benefit the turn you Mega Evolve and it is consumed, so that can be useful.

EDIT: Forgot to remove the Life Orb simulating the -ate effect when I calculated Crunch on Bronzong, though it's still usually a 2HKO. Fixed.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile

Aerodactyl in STABmons is pretty brutal as well. It's high attack and access to Rock Head Brave Bird and Head Smash make it one tough customer, alongside its resistance to FakeSpeed. It also has good coverage in EQ to go alongside both Head Smash and Brave Bird. The cherry on top of the ancient sundae is that Aerodactyl can work as a nifty check to Diggersby, the #1 rabbit in STABmons. This is especially true now since they usually run Knock Off as their coverage move. Knock Off is even less of a problem if you have a Mega Stone. Speaking of Mega Aerodactyl, that thing is actually pretty nifty too. If you want to go full suicidal offense you can run Tough Claws Brave Bird and Head Smash. That's not all though - while I personally haven't used it I know unfixable had a bulky M-Aero set that use Diamond Storm and abuses Mega Aero's good bulk and typing. Overall a nifty mon.

Here's a basic offensive set

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Roost

I wish I had unfixable's bulky aero set. It's somewhere in the STABmons thread though (I think)

Speaking of Aerodactyl, in Hidden Type it's an interesting Pokemon too. Not great, but cool.

For regular Aerodactyl, you can run basically this...

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD (Adds: Ground type)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/whatever
- Stealth Rock

as a suicide lead for getting in some damage and possible getting Rocks up. Unfortunately, it's a bit narrow in its utility -it's primarily useful as a Hyper Offense tool for fighting... Hyper Offense.... because Stall and to a lesser extent balanced playstyles are just not impressed with its offense and switching it out is bad and frankly the Ground typing just accentuates some of Aerodactyl's problems. (It ends up doubly weak to both Water and Ice -so Aqua Jet and Ice Shard)

On the other hand, Mega Aerodactyl has two big typings of interest: Steel, and Dark. Steel is arguably the better of the two, and is certainly useful for providing a check/counter to Fairies, whom are quite invaluable in Hidden Type, but Dark has some interesting advantages, most notably Sucker Punch resistance. (This is less relevant than you might think, but isn't totally irrelevant) Either way, Iron Head and Crunch both benefit from Tough Claws, and thus become your go-to STAB of choice, with Stone Edge being mere coverage by comparison. Steel typing also makes Mega Aerodactyl sufficiently "bulky" that, so long as you keep it away from its weaknesses (Water, Electric, Fighting, Ground after you've Roosted) Mega Aerodactyl can actually plausibly run Roost with the intention of not dying, imagine that.

The biggest flaws of either Mega Aerodactyl variant are 1: they are weak to Fighting, period (Doubly so after a Roost) and 2: they consume a Mega slot. The latter is particularly unfortunate with the arrival of ORAS and particularly Mega Altaria, whom is very generally good, where Mega Aerodactyl is more narrowly directed.

For most teams, Steel Aerodactyl is probably the preferred variant, due to its superior typing.

Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SpD (Adds: Steel) (Leave IVs alone if you want Dark)
- Iron Head/Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Taunt/Toxic

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
With the advent of Rock Head, the prehistoric ruler of the jungles becomes a powerful threat in Tier Shift.

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang/Substitute/Dragon Claw

While Tyrantrum may seem like an inferior choice to such offensive monsters as Terrakion, Haxorus, and Garchomp, it distinguishes itself from these powerhouses with it's newly buffed tool, Head Smash. Even though it is outpaced by all three of these comparable threats, it reaches the speed tier of another OU threat; Gyarados - and after one Dragon Dance - it reaches 430 speed.

Here is a list of the A+, A, and A- offensive threats that Tyrantrum outspeeds and KO's at +1/+1:

• Mega Altaria
  • Mega Gallade
  • Dragalge
  • Mega Heracross (If fully invested in HP, KO's after rocks)
  • Kabutops (Out of rain)
  • Kyurem
  • Mega Sharpedo (Without Speed Boost, which sadly doesn't ever happen)
  • Bisharp (Sub on the Sucker Punch)
  • Mega Charizard X (Belly Drum or other Non-Dragon Dance variants)
  • Diggersby (Non-Choice Scarf)
  • Durant
... and so on. (Also Victini :toast:)

At +1 Attack Tyrantrum also 2hKO's most neutral hits (bar I think Almomola) and can be a great wallbreaker.

The added strength that Tyrantrum has over other similar 'mons gives it a respectable position on teams as a Set-Up Sweeper and Wallbreaker.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have been nearly swept by a few of these on their own, and with the proper team support, I believe I would have lost to it.

Edit: I am so dumb Tyrantrum isn't even on the slate :pimp:

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
Week 4: Haunting your dreams

These are the new four Pokemon! What are their niches and in which metagames. Are they viable in any common metagame or only in an old, obscure one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)