What kind of cellphone do you use?

ITT we discuss mobile phones, or 'cell phones'. I haven't found any of these threads yet so I thought of creating one. Does really everyone these days have a smartphone? At the moment I'm using an iPhone 4, but I'm seriously considering switching to Android, as iOS limits a lot of stuff. Anyone that can tell me the pros and cons of Android?

Let's discuss.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Using HTC One M8 for Windows. After getting fed up with iOS and researching the Windows mobile platform, I made the switch and don't regret it one bit.

Sure it's missing one or two major apps, but I personally don't need them because I get the same functionality from other applications.

In any event, I love my phone and I don't see myself every using Android or iOS anytime in the future.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Because of the 2.3ghz quadcore processor, the 3gb of RAM and it's big, beautiful 1080p display, this phone is a laptop replacement for me. Samsung ships it with software for running apps side by side or in floating windows (like with a desktop os) which helps, too.

I can get actual work done on this thing (I don't even bother carrying a laptop around for work anymore), and because I also have a moga controller, I can also leverage its speed to play actual games. You might think the phone is too big the first time you look at it, but it fits in my skinny jeans' pocket just fine.

I love this thing so much. It even runs showdown in-browser with no problem.

I'm looking at the Android smartphone HTC One M8 atm. Looks quite good, along with some good specs. I might get it.

I'm looking at the Android smartphone HTC One M8 atm. Looks quite good, along with some good specs. I might get it.
M8 is pretty fast, nice build quality, decent screen. Big selling point I feel is the front facing speakers. But I don't like that the battery is not replaceable because I don't like upgrading every 2 years.

The big negative on the m8 is the camera is not competitive compared to other flagships. It's up to you if you care about that.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Sony Xperia Z1.
I love how Japanese constantly give good quality control and durability to their products. The battery life is amazing, the sound texture is good, screen colour is very fine.

I used to own Samsungs prior to that. But my last ever Samsung made me really angry. I somewhat unfortunately obtained one that's bad. It got burnt and nearly damaged my face as well. (I was talking on Skype with my mother.) The screen changed shape after that. The Samsung repair centre did not impress me. The battery life was also abominable.

M8 is pretty fast, nice build quality, decent screen. Big selling point I feel is the front facing speakers. But I don't like that the battery is not replaceable because I don't like upgrading every 2 years.

The big negative on the m8 is the camera is not competitive compared to other flagships. It's up to you if you care about that.
I did know about the front cam being way better than the cam on the back. Is it really that bad?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Samsung "Gusto" 2 U365, a flip phone that sort of has a camera (never tried to use it since i bet it's shit). It can hold a charge 4eva and seems to be unbreakable. I lose phones too often to have an expensive phone, and I'm too scared of 'technology' to get a smart phone. Also there is evidence that there is something addictive about texting/social media/apps, and I can't 'afford' more fetishes/addictions since I already have facebook, pokemon, the guardian, actual drugs, and food. So there is no way I would get anything done if I was carrying all this (and sooner or later more) in my pocket.

Reactions: pj

Albert.

visually stimulating
I use an iPhone 5S and I absolutely love it.

I've been Team Apple for a while. I originally had an Android, but I just didn't like the user interface. I think iPhones make everything so much simpler. iPhones don't really have as many customize-able features as Android does, but that's one of the only flaws I see. Androids also typically hold charge better than iPhones do, and have higher screen resolutions.

I'd suggest going to your carrier's store and testing out some of the different Android models there before you actually decide on making your switch. Some models are definitely better than others.

I've been Team Apple for a while. I originally had an Android, but I just didn't like the user interface. I think iPhones make everything so much simpler. iPhones don't really have as many customize-able features as Android does, but that's one of the only flaws I see. Androids also typically hold charge better than iPhones do, and have higher screen resolutions.

I'd suggest going to your carrier's store and testing out some of the different Android models there before you actually decide on making your switch. Some models are definitely better than others.
I absolutely agree with you on the user interface; it's so flippin' nice on iOS. An iPhone indeed makes everything a lot simpler, but too bad it limits me in a lot of stuff.

Albert.

visually stimulating
I absolutely agree with you on the user interface; it's so flippin' nice on iOS. An iPhone indeed makes everything a lot simpler, but too bad it limits me in a lot of stuff.
That's the only part that I don't particularly like about iOS.
With Android, you get a lot more customization options like multiple home screens, widgets, etc.
They're kind of suppressed with the iPhone models, but I still don't think I'll ever be going back to Android haha

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
I think it's really up to what you wanna do with your phone. I basically use it for music and social apps so I don't really mind not having the great customization of android for example. I really like iOS interface, it's sharp, elegant and straightforward. And there's the fact that I don't like super huge phones (I mean come on I want a phone that I can actually put inside my pocket). So yea I ended up buying an iPhone 6 last year. It's pretty damn big for my taste, though it's still acceptable I guess (at least it's light as hell).
Also for some reason Apple stuff is a lot more expensive at my country (I'm pretty sure the new Galaxy is roughly the same price of iPhone 6 on the US), but I had the opportunity to buy it abroad.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm very comfortable about the Galaxy S4 that I have right now. I've had it with me for nearly 2 years (i bought it april/may 2013) and it's absolutely fantastic so far. Perfect size, good for everything I need (browsing on the bus, music, etc those sorts of things) and tbh I'm not /that/ into technology so I often don't really pay attention to all the stuff about the processor, RAM, resolution, all those things. I do care about having a god resolution, I just don't care if the HTC One X (was released alongside the S4 I think, not sure) has better colours or whatever, that's too minimal to make much of a difference.

I very much prefer Android over iOS though. The ability to actually customize UI is amazing and on iOS I really feel like I'm restricted. There's also the fact that you can even customize the OS and root your phone to install ROMs etc. etc.

I don't see myself switching phones because the S4 has been serving me very nicely so far, but I guess I could do with an upgrade a year from now at most, if I can afford it.

If you wanna switch to Android, there are a bunch of phones that are good. Nexus phones are made by Google and they're always the 1st to get updates, and they're really neat. HTC makes very high-quality mobile phones in terms of hardware, and has good speakers as far as I can tell. Then comes Samsung with the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note series. do your research on them, they're all pretty solid.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
iphone 4. i got it last summer as my first smart phone and have had 0 problems. I also like how thick it is compared to the new ones that i feel like would snap easily in my big bigfoot hands.

I use an iphone 5. I love the interface of it and I jailbroke it so I can basically have the freedom android users have at the same time im still familiar with the interface.

I did know about the front cam being way better than the cam on the back. Is it really that bad?
Actually, the back cam has more megapixels but it's still not great. The front cam might be "better" for selfies because of flattering image processing or something.

It's not that bad, just not great.

Albert.

visually stimulating
Actually, the back cam has more megapixels but it's still not great. The front cam might be "better" for selfies because of flattering image processing or something.

It's not that bad, just not great.
Taking pictures on any iPhone with the front facing camera (without it being focused in 'acceptable' lighting) leaves the images very low res and looking very grainy. With the 6 & 6+, they've improved upon this, but it's still not great.
And let's be honest, it's kind of a pain in the ass to have to turn your iPhone around and use the back camera in order to get a high quality image almost every time.
Androids or Windows phones are probably the better bet if someone is looking for a great camera.

I had an iphone 4, then switched to Samsung, and now I'm using the HTC one m8. I love everything about it but as has been said already the camera could be better.

I use my phone very lightly so.....light browsing, light texting, and light calling. It's convenient to have but I dont feel naked if I forget it at home.

I had an iphone 4, then switched to Samsung, and now I'm using the HTC one m8. I love everything about it but as has been said already the camera could be better.

I use my phone very lightly so.....light browsing, light texting, and light calling. It's convenient to have but I dont feel naked if I forget it at home.
Hmm, you used the iPhone 4 and now you use the HTC One M8, which I'm hesitating to buy right now. Any major diffs for you personally?

Asek

Banned deucer.
I have an iPhone 4s, unless youe really bad with your technology and what not ,I'm pretty sure am android or other smart phone are much better value for your money than an iPhone. Apples rather large niche in every market they're in is making products that are consumer friendly rather than products that are technologically advanced. If your capable of using an android (it's not hard) or other brand of smartphones interface I would definitely buy one of those. They have historically been ahead of iPhones in terms of performance and specs, with apples only noticeable advantages being its easier to use and has a broader range of apps. In terms of what you get for the price, most other smart phones outperform the iPhone, at least this good true in Australia where everything technology related is rediculouly high priced. Maybe in the U.S. things are more competitive and there's not such a noticeable price gap between Apple and Samsung /whoever.

Xperia Z3: The first thing you notice is that most of the time the phone lasts an entire day and then some more, which is huge for most people. Second is the big enough but still one hand doable screen size, at 5.2. Then you got auto noise cancellation with the right headphones and flac playability out of the box with some additional features from Sony to upscale low quality stuff, although people are mixed about how good it does that. What else, you got water proofing, beautiful glass and aluminum design and some additional stuff like playing games off your PS4 with the phone as a screen.

I also got me a silver green color, which is nice.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
iPhone 5S. Used to be a 4S until I lost it (though that might be for the better, as it was really slowing down and I had an upgrade available). I can't stand gigantic smartphones and much prefer the size of the iPhone 4 or 5.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Me too-- 5s
It's not that I'm bothered by the size of the 6 sweet, but the stories of them bending are really upsetting.
Also, haven't updated to OS8, and won't until hear more stories of it not being a shit.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does really everyone these days have a smartphone?.
I use an old-school Samsung sliding phone. I already own an iPod touch (blue 5th gen) and it's pretty nice and isn't damaged beyond a few cosmetic scratches on the back. Also I don't really want to pay smartphone data fees since i just use it to call and text anyways. The other bonuses are that it holds a charge for longer than my iPod (and an iPhone too I imagine) would, as I can go for several days without charging it, and I don't really need to worry about damagine it since it's so cheap and easily replaceable. Also having the separate devices means I can read and play games and such on my iPod without worrying about having it die and then not being able to contact people. The only thing I'd want is a slot for some kind of memory card or increased storage to hold more texts since having to delete them can be a pain but that's just because I'm too lazy to clear it regularly and I text my friends a lot so it builds up pretty quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)