Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I overheard some guys at the gym today chatting about their steroid use as though it was the most casual thing in the world; a stark departure from the days where it was the biggest taboo imaginable, I thought. I'm there pulling 6 plates and there's these guys just dicking around on the machines, doing the odd curl, looking like they have no idea what they're doing...and yet they were shredded to fuck. It annoyed me. So I got home and did some research and found some pretty cool articles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26890715

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...eroids-supersizing-the-man-in-the-mirror.html

I've even seen an article earlier this year suggesting that steroid use amongst young gym-going males in the UK could be as high as 1-in-3 and although I admittedly I can't find it now I think we can all agree that steroid use is on the rise on an unprecedented scale.

I am very much a 'it's your body; do what you want with it' kinda guy but I do think the scale of the problem needs to be highlighted for the benefit of newcomers to this lifestyle. I've been training in various capacities for over a decade now and it was a good two or three years before I started to look decently muscular but even prior to that I felt as though I was one of the fitter looking dudes in the gym. Were I doing it in today's gyms, I imagine I'd be thoroughly disheartened at the fact that every other guy has arms the size of my legs with every last vein bursting through their skin. I don't know if I'd have persevered to where I am today. I'm sorta putting this out there for SOMALIA, because I imagine it's off-putting to train your arse off as you have been doing and then see some guy in the gym mysteriously pack on 10kg of muscle in a month? Fuck that guy, he's playing a very different game to you.

And not really related but I need to vent...another thing that pisses me off is fuck my life when I go clubbing it's just biceps and pecs everywhere. Guys looking like fitness models and yet they're out clubbing three times a week, downing booze and munching on takeaways, how does that one work? But because I look the way I do I am immediately lumped in with that crowd and considered to be one of those roided-up bellends (I should stress I am a Geordie and Geordie Shore is an absolutely accurate representation of the night life in this city) to the point that I'm starting to wear baggy clothing when I go out. Stallion, I'm guessing you see a lot of this in the Oz clubbing scene?
Can you see how for someone who potential wants to do some fitness modelling like myself that they're an attractive option? If these guys half ass their exercise and nutrition, imagine someone like me running gear who kills himself in the gym and barely drinks!

In the clubs in my city (Canberra) it's actually not so bad, but in Sydney nightclubs there's a few of those roided up party boys. The gym I train at is one where all the amateur and pro bbers train so I'm only average sized there. It's a positive though cause that makes me work harder and makes me look better compared to the general populace as a result

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
But you are only forced to consider them because all the other fitness models are doing them. It's a vicious circle and is the reason that steroid abuse has increased 645% in the UK and will only continue to increase. One guy juices so the next guy needs to juice to compete. In time there are enough people juicing that that body image is considered as the norm or, even worse, the minimum. Now is the absolute worst time to enter the fitness lifestyle/industry because you're pretty quickly faced with an ultimatum; grab a needle or accept mediocrity. The bar of 'how a fit male should look' has been artificially raised and that's a genuine tragedy of our times.

And things will get worse before they get better, perhaps in 30 years when the hearts of 1 in 3 males start to fail the extent of the problem will be grasped.

/still venting

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
But you are only forced to consider them because all the other fitness models are doing them. It's a vicious circle and is the reason that steroid abuse has increased 645% in the UK and will only continue to increase. One guy juices so the next guy needs to juice to compete. In time there are enough people juicing that that body image is considered as the norm or, even worse, the minimum. Now is the absolute worst time to enter the fitness lifestyle/industry because you're pretty quickly faced with an ultimatum; grab a needle or accept mediocrity. The bar of 'how a fit male should look' has been artificially raised and that's a genuine tragedy of our times.

And things will get worse before they get better, perhaps in 30 years when the hearts of 1 in 3 males start to fail the extent of the problem will be grasped.

/still venting
I couldn't have worded this better myself. Bodybuilding has always had steroids because they're meant to be freaks of nature, but a fitness model is meant to represent the "ideal physique", and steroids definitely skew what the considered norm is.

Reactions: Lee
I overheard some guys at the gym today chatting about their steroid use as though it was the most casual thing in the world; a stark departure from the days where it was the biggest taboo imaginable, I thought. I'm there pulling 6 plates and there's these guys just dicking around on the machines, doing the odd curl, looking like they have no idea what they're doing...and yet they were shredded to fuck. It annoyed me. So I got home and did some research and found some pretty cool articles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26890715

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...eroids-supersizing-the-man-in-the-mirror.html

I've even seen an article earlier this year suggesting that steroid use amongst young gym-going males in the UK could be as high as 1-in-3 and although I admittedly I can't find it now I think we can all agree that steroid use is on the rise on an unprecedented scale.

I am very much a 'it's your body; do what you want with it' kinda guy but I do think the scale of the problem needs to be highlighted for the benefit of newcomers to this lifestyle. I've been training in various capacities for over a decade now and it was a good two or three years before I started to look decently muscular but even prior to that I felt as though I was one of the fitter looking dudes in the gym. Were I doing it in today's gyms, I imagine I'd be thoroughly disheartened at the fact that every other guy has arms the size of my legs with every last vein bursting through their skin. I don't know if I'd have persevered to where I am today. I'm sorta putting this out there for SOMALIA, because I imagine it's off-putting to train your arse off as you have been doing and then see some guy in the gym mysteriously pack on 10kg of muscle in a month? Fuck that guy, he's playing a very different game to you.

And not really related but I need to vent...another thing that pisses me off is fuck my life when I go clubbing it's just biceps and pecs everywhere. Guys looking like fitness models and yet they're out clubbing three times a week, downing booze and munching on takeaways, how does that one work? But because I look the way I do I am immediately lumped in with that crowd and considered to be one of those roided-up bellends (I should stress I am a Geordie and Geordie Shore is an absolutely accurate representation of the night life in this city) to the point that I'm starting to wear baggy clothing when I go out. Stallion, I'm guessing you see a lot of this in the Oz clubbing scene?

I feel you man, its very frustrating but at the same time I tried to do weightlifting in general (not solely bodybuilding but alot of trying to increase the weight and do low reps to build raw strength) to help me gain muscle mass and make me stronger in general. Makes me feel better that they are only doing it for looks and most of them can't fight for shit, whilst I am doing alot of power movements and my goal is solely to defend my self better in a fight by getting rid of my initial weakness which was my insanely light weight become stronger by reinforcing my boxing I've developed over the years.

I don't know if its just me or maybe im underestimating myself but i felt at 52kg i really couldnt beat a random guy who weighs 80kg even though I done yars of boxing for some reason...

Stallion

Tree Young
I feel you man, its very frustrating but at the same time I tried to do weightlifting in general (not solely bodybuilding but alot of trying to increase the weight and do low reps to build raw strength) to help me gain muscle mass and make me stronger in general. Makes me feel better that they are only doing it for looks and most of them can't fight for shit, whilst I am doing alot of power movements and my goal is solely to defend my self better in a fight by getting rid of my initial weakness which was my insanely light weight become stronger by reinforcing my boxing I've developed over the years.

I don't know if its just me or maybe im underestimating myself but i felt at 52kg i really couldnt beat a random guy who weighs 80kg even though I done yars of boxing for some reason...
Off topic a little, but on that note are you looking to get back into boxing competitively again man? Or are you more talking about just defending yourself in general?

Off topic a little, but on that note are you looking to get back into boxing competitively again man? Or are you more talking about just defending yourself in general?
Yeah just for defending myself bro, too many pyschos running the streets these days especially in London

Last edited:

Lee

@ Thick Club
Shit, the thread nearly fell off the first page, it's okay doe I got it.

Drunkenly smashed my leg off a laminate floor over New Year and haven't been able to bend my left leg properly since (not a serious injury I hope) so have just been smashing upper body relentlessly. Have gone up from 160lbs to 167 over that time period which is a little inconvenient but it's better to be doing something than just sulking, right? Have made some serious strength gains too, I'm repping 225 on bench press with a level of comfort I never thought I'd obtain. Got a sick chest pump today which had me feeling irrationally confident to the point I was like 'fuck it i'm taking a gym selfie'

#seriousface #FeelingLikeICouldBenchPressATruck #Probably #IDon'tWantToThough

Feels good to feel big again, t-shirts are tight and the iron is moving around effortlessly. Gonna enjoy every second because once my leg gets better it'll be back to slimming down...

How are you guys doing? Progress report! Stallion SOMALIA Soulfly MikeAU kalphiteman4 and the rest of the gang.

Holy fuck, definitely don't blame you for the selfie there lmao.

I've just been getting back into things here though. Ended up stopping in November because recruiting and eventually exams got in the way and I wasn't able to find a gym that would give me just a month-long membership when I was back home for break. Finally started going again this week though, and while i've lost a ton of strength over the last 2.5 months it's felt great going back again. Also, due to some other circumstances in life I've decided to take an indefinite break from alcohol, starting with a 4 week goal minimum, so I figure that since I won't be flooding myself with those extra calories every weekend this will be a great time to do a cut before I move to San Francisco for the summer. I've been planning on sticking with starting strength throughout, even though I know it'll eventually be difficult to keep that up eating on a deficit. Would a more cardio-based program be more effective for this? I know I've asked this a couple times on this thread but I never really got a straight answer. It might not matter but I figure it's worth asking again that I'm actually getting serious about cutting lol.

Drunkenly smashed my leg off a laminate floor over New Year and haven't been able to bend my left leg properly since (not a serious injury I hope) so have just been smashing upper body relentlessly. Have gone up from 160lbs to 167 over that time period which is a little inconvenient but it's better to be doing something than just sulking, right? Have made some serious strength gains too, I'm repping 225 on bench press with a level of comfort I never thought I'd obtain. Got a sick chest pump today which had me feeling irrationally confident to the point I was like 'fuck it i'm taking a gym selfie'

Feels good to feel big again, t-shirts are tight and the iron is moving around effortlessly. Gonna enjoy every second because once my leg gets better it'll be back to slimming down...

How are you guys doing? Progress report! Stallion SOMALIA Soulfly MikeAU kalphiteman4 and the rest of the gang.
Congratulations! LEE has evolved to MACHAMP! Looking very solid man, if you weren't a runner I'd have really liked to see you get even bigger. Regarding myself I will hopefully unveil the new me @80kg / 176lbs come end of May lol, until then I'm dirty bulking (3600-4000 calories) took it to new extremes.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

@ Thick Club
hehe, that picture flatters me tbh, it makes me look fucking huge when really i'm still pretty...I dunno...not the monster that pic implies? Here's a less bias shot, both this and the previous pic were taken on the same day.

would look better with a tan but 'the North' >_> Looking at myself critically and as impartially as I can, I would say strong points are traps, deltoids, chest and triceps whereas weak points are biceps and forearms and abs are possibly falling behind too. To be fair though I haven't done curls in 4 years (I don't believe in 'em) and my puny wrists/forearms are just a throwback to my ectomorphic heritage; nothing seems to work. I may have to look into abs work...haven't done a crunch in about 4 years either, what do you guys usually do to target abs? Preferably an exercise with functional application that isn't awful for my back (i.e not crunches). Left arm looks much smaller than right but I think there's a certain amount of perspective contributing to that - note that the above chest pump picture is featuring my left arm.

yeah, whatever. critique me, don't hold back. I don't wanna be especially huge but that doesn't mean I don't want to look good on the beach, know what I'm saying?

hehe, that picture flatters me tbh, it makes me look fucking huge when really i'm still pretty...I dunno...not the monster that pic implies? Here's a less bias shot, both this and the previous pic were taken on the same day.

would look better with a tan but 'the North' >_> Looking at myself critically and as impartially as I can, I would say strong points are traps, deltoids, chest and triceps whereas weak points are biceps and forearms and abs are possibly falling behind too. To be fair though I haven't done curls in 4 years (I don't believe in 'em) and my puny wrists/forearms are just a throwback to my ectomorphic heritage; nothing seems to work. I may have to look into abs work...haven't done a crunch in about 4 years either, what do you guys usually do to target abs? Preferably an exercise with functional application that isn't awful for my back (i.e not crunches). Left arm looks much smaller than right but I think there's a certain amount of perspective contributing to that - note that the above chest pump picture is featuring my left arm.

yeah, whatever. critique me, don't hold back. I don't wanna be especially huge but that doesn't mean I don't want to look good on the beach, know what I'm saying?
Oh man you dont know how much I hope you keep on some of the mass lol, you look like a don, no lie!

Order in which your muscles appeared to me when I look at this pic:
1) Traps (Damn....)
2) Triceps
3) Delts
4) Chest

I also suffer from small biceps man and work so hard on them (they're growing quickly for me but it'll still take ages to get to a huge size) I don't really train abs directly aside from a few dragonflies, kickups etc that I use to use in boxing, and of course from heavy compound lifts especially standing military press lol .What weight are you hoping to hover around come summer time by the way man?

Lee

@ Thick Club
I dunno man, I'm so conflicted! I love running and virtually all the training I do I do with running in mind...but I like being big and strong too. It's such a good feeling to just put on any old item of clothing and automatically look good in it. To walk past somebody and feel their eyes staring at you. To just lift more and more weight everytime you step in the gym, feeling like there's no plateau in sight. If I want to eat something? I just fucking eat it. It's a much easier and more persistently rewarding lifestyle. Running is great but the rewards are really only present while I'm running or once a month when/if I do well in a competition. When I'm lifting there's always a reward present from the moment I step out of bed and glance across to the mirror and think 'man, I look cut today.' And that moment when you put an extra 2.5kg on top of what you lifted last week, nervously prepare yourself to lift it and then...BAM...it comes up effortlessly and you just can't help but smile. That feeling is like sex and comparable to the highs I get from running.

So I'm reluctant to sacrifice one over the other right now. At the moment I feel like my philosophy for this year is 'Lift heavy and often, run fast and often and whatever will be will be. Fuck the scales.' It may be naïve but I'd like to try and do things on my terms. We'll see what happens.

Stallion

Tree Young

Fuck you're big.

I'm 85 kg, still relatively lean, have had all my lifts skyrocket and have a fitness modelling shoot next week so bulking has been a big success so far

Haha -- reporting in for duty :P

Things have been going well, especially food wise. Working close to 60hrs pw plus about 2hrs travel per day for work and time working at night, food has always been my weakness.

Over the past 6 months i've had some ups and downs but now, back to my best and in that plateau state. I know i'm losing any fat (didn't have a lot) but just the usual around waist area thats on its way to oblivion. Waist measurements are dropping and everything is increasing and noticing more definition which has been great.

Unfortunately, messing around with my eating has taken a bit of a toll on my patience/mood and overall energy. I've been eating a very controlled diet and for the past 4 weeks have been doing an elimination diet -- trying to work out the trigger for my reflux/digestive issues. Cleared dairy, good fats, meat, etc and the culprit is.... breads, flours, cereals, etc. Some blood work came back last year with potential to sensitivity to gluten. Definitely not coeliac as symptoms aren't anywhere near as bad as they should be. But there are some parts of the body that nothing goes...especially camera/scopy things in a hospital environment. that was off the cards so we had to rest with an elimination diet and some blood work.

Feeling absolutely fantastic though once I realised what it was -- traditionally i'd turn to breads etc to soak up the stomach acid i'd feel from the reflux, little did i know it was what made me feel ill. Anyway, its done amazingly for my overall health, weight, etc. I've taken the opportunity to exclude all alcohol, bad fats/sat fats, sugar, processed foods, etc. Kinda sticking to a more disciplined 'paleo' type way -- few things i disagree with but my god, there are so many options for awesome foods that don't like make you bloated/feel unwell.

Additionally, found an awesome supplement that i've incorporated as a snack/post workout sometimes: http://180nutrition.com.au/ingredients/

It's great, tastes very gritty and to be fair, quite foul at first BUT it grows on you and does wonders for your energy, etc. My challenge is landing the right about in the right time however i'm getting more consistent with my training and working out the caloric output so i know roughly how much to 'replenish' for maintainence/surplus, etc.

Now, for training...

SQUATS, SQUATS, SQUATS....SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS....EVERYBODYYYY.

Training has been good this year, i've given up on running Lee ...too rough on my knee. Nothing diagnosed as wrong but it messes up the VMO on my right leg. It then gets uncomfortable for like a week. Instead, i've subbed in a fair bit of crossfit-esque acivities so my training is broken up as:

Low and heavy
-Squats [sitting around 150kg, 1.7x bodyweight]*
-deadlifts [120kg, 1.4x bodyweight]

* Proper squats, not these ass 45cm from the ground nonsense I see at the gym all the time. Like getting down as far as you possibly can.

'Filthy fifties'
(I asked my trainer why its called this -- an hour later when we finished, had to pull over on the way home and was crawling through a park in the dark on my hands and knees vomiting everywhere)

The chin ups at the beginning and end are to make it a little easier on my shoulders, besides that, anything goes so long as no less than 10 reps of an exercise before either short break or moving to another exercise. Definitely recommend you try this...insane.

25 chin ups
50 deadlifts [80kg]
50 squats [90]
50 weight plate push ups [20kg, plate on back]
50 slam balls
50 kettle bell swings [20kg]
25 chin ups

Mixed Body

Presses, shoulders, core, etc. Generally do 2 sessions of whole body. Odd weeks I split it between groups.
Finish up with 250m row:30second rest for 20minutes
Core work

Stretching session
2 proper sessions a week before work. using ropes, therabands/tubes, foam roller and my new addition...the rumble roller

When your legs feel like boulders or tree trunks, it gets the blood flowing back through them and literally releases the pain... http://puu.sh/eUjut/5fb7364f64.jpg

ANyone interested in like tracking our progress more seriously? I say we do monthly measurements to track progress & weight?

Lee you animal

i got in a skiing accident and squatted 95 lbs the other day, was a struggle but i got it. hope muscle memory kicks in and i am strong again soon

Lee

@ Thick Club
Lee you animal

i got in a skiing accident and squatted 95 lbs the other day, was a struggle but i got it. hope muscle memory kicks in and i am strong again soon
That sucks Stat...I've been struggling to do even a body-weight squat lately; I'm filling the void/working on rehabilitation by doing heavy eccentric squats. I load up the bar and, in a very slow and controlled motion, lower it all the way down to the waiting safety bars. Then I unload the bar to the point where I can curl it back up to the starting position, reload the bar and repeat. Obviously our injuries are probably different but with mine, I find it's the concentric aspect of the squat that causes the pain...the eccentric movement is virtually pain free...and it's increasingly believed that the eccentric portion of the squat is the one that recruits the most muscle fibres/builds the most strength etc etc etc so it's a good way to keep building up your strength/avoid atrophy/rehabilitate your injury etc etc etc.

Might not be applicable to your condition but I'm just throwing it out there as something to consider...seems to be working for me (famous last words...)

Lee

@ Thick Club

Picture on the left was taken Dec 27th at 160lbs (72.5kg), picture on the right was taken 30th January at 171lbs (77.5kg).

Deltoids are rounder, arms are thicker, pecs are fuller, traps are higher, abs and obliques haven't lost much, beard is cooler...a bit less vascularity in the biceps although that could be down to a number of things. Look a bit healthier in general I think. But hey SOMALIA, if I can gain 5kg in a month despite having long since exhausted my newb gains then there's hope for you yet!

Last edited:
So recently I've been thinking about putting on some muscle mass. I've been a runner for the past ten years, so my lower body and endurance are both solid, and my heart is fine as well. But I still have the upper body of an adolescent!
I turn 22 years old in May, and for the past 3 years or so I've been 5' 11" (180 cm) and around 145 lbs (66 kg). People tell me that my chest will broaden a bit and my arms will get a bit bigger but I'd like to speed up the process by actually working out occasionally.
I have a few "problems" that I may or may not have to get past:
-Fast metabolism in general. I like running in the mornings but as far as I know, that speeds up metabolism and makes it harder to gain/keep weight on.
-Don't like gyms. I'd like to build up a routine for myself based on just body weight/no equipment exercises simply because I won't always have access to a gym.
-Diet. Eating healthy isn't easy for me because I like tasty foods like Italian and Mexican. Also university dining hall food isn't the best for keeping a healthy diet going. "Dirty bulking" sounds like a pretty gnarly way to do things and I'd rather not.
-Supplements. I guess this is an addendum to my diet, but I would only ever take supplements as an absolute last resort. Not a fan of the idea; if I need more protein I can just drink more milk and snack on more beef jerky.

You guys got anything for me? I'd appreciate it.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Does anyone else here use Fitocracy? I started using it a few weeks ago and have to admit it's pretty motivating to post workouts on there and see the points rack up. It's kinda like leveling up pokemon (except you're the pokemon and I'm not quite sure I could personally handle that).

Stallion

Tree Young
Got up to 85 kilos and was absolutely killing it in the gym, now I have tonsillitis and am losing my gains. Fuck my life.

Lee

@ Thick Club
that sucks, man...keep an eye out for the silver lining though. Through every setback I've ever had I've usually been able to find a positive from it (with hindsight of course!). Whether it's the chance to work on something new/different, a much needed rest/deload period or just the opportunity to reflect...i'm not a spiritual man at all but it helps me cope with certain things to believe that everything happens for a reason.

And good job on the 85, big man!

So recently I've been thinking about putting on some muscle mass. I've been a runner for the past ten years, so my lower body and endurance are both solid, and my heart is fine as well. But I still have the upper body of an adolescent!
I turn 22 years old in May, and for the past 3 years or so I've been 5' 11" (180 cm) and around 145 lbs (66 kg). People tell me that my chest will broaden a bit and my arms will get a bit bigger but I'd like to speed up the process by actually working out occasionally.
I have a few "problems" that I may or may not have to get past:
-Fast metabolism in general. I like running in the mornings but as far as I know, that speeds up metabolism and makes it harder to gain/keep weight on.
-Don't like gyms. I'd like to build up a routine for myself based on just body weight/no equipment exercises simply because I won't always have access to a gym.
-Diet. Eating healthy isn't easy for me because I like tasty foods like Italian and Mexican. Also university dining hall food isn't the best for keeping a healthy diet going. "Dirty bulking" sounds like a pretty gnarly way to do things and I'd rather not.
-Supplements. I guess this is an addendum to my diet, but I would only ever take supplements as an absolute last resort. Not a fan of the idea; if I need more protein I can just drink more milk and snack on more beef jerky.

You guys got anything for me? I'd appreciate it.
The last point is something I can relate to. I use ZERO supplements and have been gaining well when i can be bothered to eat so yeah. Regarding not goig to the gym, if you wanna get swole you need to do heavy ass compound lift and its kind of hard getting a few 45lb plates and a bar and a rack in your house, but if you can then you're good. I'd say try to go to the gym as often as you can, at least twice a week to work on heavy ass lifts man and do pullups at home (pushups are ok as well but you gotta do like loads of reps and stuff man but they still work to some degree). If you get a skinny frame like me and burn calories like no tomorrow, you ought to find your calorie needs and go above it, im going about 1000-1500 calories above my daily needs which is 2500 calories since im dirty bulking.

Stallion BEAST! Give me another decade bro and ill look like u...on a serious note that must suck bro having set backs like that, i like a dumbass lifted heavy at home for a military press for the heck of it when I thought i warmed up enough. Then like an even bigger dumbass, I done quick pullups and something just went pop rofl. I deserve this 100% though so yeah. Are you planning to go even heavier than 85kg?

Lee you looking swole in those pics bro, you give me hope since its possible to attain triceps like yours without using steriods. Goddamn man too much motivation in this thread but cant lift besides squats for now.

Stallion

Tree Young
SOMALIA yeah I wanna be early 90s and lean!! Like 10% lean. Any heavier at that body fat and I'd need to be juicing. Will probably have to get to 95kg first and then cut if I wanna do this the natural way!

Lee thanks for the kind words. Tbh I probably needed a deload week because I've been pretty balls to the wall without breaks for a long time now. My challenge is just eating enough cals when I don't even feel like eating, so I can at least preserve the muscle mass I've been fighting for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)