Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by haunter
Feraligatr

Typing: Water
Ability: Torrent / Sheer Force
Stats:
85 / 105 / 100 / 79 / 83 / 78

Useful Moves (Stab in BOLD, Sheer Force boost in Italics)
Agility
Aqua Jet
Crunch
Dragon Dance
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Facade
Ice Punch
Return
Roar
Rock Slide
Substitute
Superpower
Swords Dance
Waterfall

-

Overview

Ever since the end of the BW2 rain era, Feraligatr hasn't really been relevant in the OU tier. That will all change when its highly anticipated Hidden Ability, Sheer Force, is released on February 27th. People have been theorizing about this ability on Gatr for a long time and it is now finally becoming a reality. At this point it's very difficult to tell what kind of impact this will have on the metagame.

-

Pros

-Bulky enough to boost

-Ability negates Life Orb damage

-Hits extremely hard at even just +1

-Priority

Cons

-Can't really break bulky waters

-Lack of recovery

-Only one STAB

-Somewhat underwhelming before boosting

-

Possible Sets

Standard Dragon Dance

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch/Superpower/Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

This set will probably be the most common. With the Sheer Force boost, Gatr can now viably run a DD set. Waterfall/Ice Punch offers very good coverage while hitting hard thanks to it's ability-- but beware of bulky waters like Rotom-W. You will probably want to opt for Crunch as your last moveslot so you can hit Slowbro and Rotom-W harder. On the other hand, you can use Superpower to hit Ferrothorn as a +1 Crunch isn't a 2hko on it's most common set. Aqua Jet is another option for this moveslot as it allows you to get value out of Gatr without boosting. Aqua Jet allows you to circumvent things like Sucker Punch from Bisharp as well. It is also worth mentioning that Aqua Jet is useful for picking off the ever-so-present Scarfed Lando-T. This set is extremely useful for taking out opposing offensive/more balanced teams. Here are some calcs showing the power of this set.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 261-308 (87.8 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 294-348 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 109-130 (40 - 47.7%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 268-317 (89 - 105.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 298-352 (109.9 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 156-187 (48.9 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Swords Dance

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Crunch/Superpower

This set will be a huge threat to slower and more bulky teams. +2 Life Orb Sheer Force STAB Waterfall will do a lot to pretty much anything. Aqua Jet is a necessity on this set to hit faster mons hard as you won't be boosting your speed with this set. You need max speed to ensure you outpace base 90-100 bulky threats such as Celebi, Mew or Gliscor. The choice between Superpower or Crunch is just preference. You can use Superpower to hit Ferrothorn harder or Crunch to hit Slowbro which would otherwise wall you.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 416-491 (102.9 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 179-212 (59 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 216-255 (64.6 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 234-277 (76.9 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 393-463 (111.6 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-

Please feel free to discuss what kind of effects this mon will have on the OU metagame. :]​

Last edited:
Something very important to mention is that Jolly Feraligatr actually outdamages Adamant Gyara/Megyara.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 191-226 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 183-216 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

So that's pretty fucking incredible. I'm starting to like the idea of pairing the two actually; Feraligatr breaking down walls with it's insane power and SD or something while Gyarados gets to set up a sweep. Would require quite a bit of support and definitely some kind of raikou/mega man check like hippo or something but y'know. It could work

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Gothitelle is going to be an outstanding teammate to this. Unlike the Gyara+Goth Core, which it will resemble, Feraligatr just doesn't take up the Mega Slot, which is of course, is very helpful. Feraligatr will have a harder time setting up in comparison to Gyarados, which has Intimidate pre-evo; but, Feraligatr poses an immediate threat with Sheer Force + Life Orb, so I think its niche at the moment is simply its incredible strength and coverage.

If feraligatr could 2HKO quag unboosted, that would be a huge boost to it as a sweeper/wallbreaker. Anybody have calcs for that?

You can notice that aqua jet is really usefull to outspeed Brave bird priority Talon after a DDance and +1 LO Aqua jet has 81.3% chance to OHKO so he is not really weak to priority like M-Dos, stop his sweep is going to be hard if you don't have Rotom-W or another bulky water type.

it is finally here...
Oh my goodness I have been waiting so long for this.
I think Serperior will make a good partner for it, as it reks any bulky waters. Then slap a megazard on to have a starter FWG core... I guess.
Those two would actually like Heatran more for a FWG core, as it can take on Talonflame, which the other two can't.

Well, it didn't take long for someone to want to take advantage of Sheer Force Feraligatr. I should probably apply to do Flash Fire Typhlosion soon, seeing as how Cyndaquil was my first Pokémon. I think Flash Fire should make Typhlosion RU.

it is finally here...
Oh my goodness I have been waiting so long for this.
I think Serperior will make a good partner for it, as it reks any bulky waters. Then slap a megazard on to have a starter FWG core... I guess.
Those two would actually like Heatran more for a FWG core, as it can take on Talonflame, which the other two can't.
You know, that actually sounds like a pretty interesting core. Both mons complement each other pretty well in role as well as type (Feraligatr breaking walls and Serperior being a cleaner), and Heatran as a bulky Fire member for the core would round things out.

Good teammates to the core would probably be either Cleric or SR Clefable, which can take some Dragon pressure off Heatran, as well as Fighting attacks. Cleric ability to help deal with potential status and keep 2 of the members healthy, or just a reliable Rock setter to help Feraligatr wallbreak and neuter Talonflame.

In my opinion the swords dance/stallbreaker set will not increase its viability in overused because it's outclassed by Crawdaunt, which is a better stallbreaker thanks to its higher attack, dark stab and better movepool.
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 234-278 (59.3 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

On the other hand, Dragon dance set can work well, in replacement of dragon dance Gyarados and Mega-Gyarados because Feraligatr has priority and takes more damage. The only downside it is that it does not have mold breaker so it can't hit Rotom-Wash with eq and break unaware as Mega-Gyara can.

In my opinion the swords dance/stallbreaker set will not increase its viability in overused because it's outclassed by Crawdaunt, which is a better stallbreaker thanks to its higher attack, dark stab and better movepool.
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 234-278 (59.3 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

On the other hand, Dragon dance set can work well, in replacement of dragon dance Gyarados and Mega-Gyarados because Feraligatr has priority and takes more damage. The only downside it is that it does not have mold breaker so it can't hit Rotom-Wash with eq and break unaware as Mega-Gyara can.
Crawdaunt is slower and frail allowing a lot of pokemon to easily revenge kill it. Gatr on the other hand may be able to take a hit or two.

This seems petty interesting, also, maybe Focus Blast could be an option? Because it can 2hko Ferrothorn Without boost or even investment.

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 185-218 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Its just an idea tho..

Not really , watch just the 1st post on this thread.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 294-348 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Not really , watch just the 1st post on this thread.
I think I actually would rather Focus Blast; OO at the very least. Superpower of course destroys your offensive and defensive presence, so having to 2HKO with that is very bad. Not to mention you want to avoid physically attacking Ferrothorn if possible due to iron barbs wearing you down.

Focus blast does not make contact, and it doesn't have any draw backs more than its low Accuracy..

But Its true that Superpower its better because Focous blast wont be more useful than other move in any other situation. :/

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

So close...
What can Quag really do in return? It has to spam Recover and at some point Feraligatr is bound to get a flinch with Waterfall to ensure the kill.I'm an idiot. Feraligatr could simply spam Waterfall until Quag is out of Recover PP.

Last edited:
What does the speed on the SD set accomplish? I think the set is going to be far less effective if it can't outrun min speed Mew, Celebi and Gliscor. Looking it up it takes 212 EVs with an Adamant nature to outrun 72 Spe Gliscor and min speed 100s. However it takes Jolly and 232 EVs to outrun 152 Spe Mew, just to post benchmarks. And finally, you may as well just run max speed to outrun other pokemon, like defensive Gliscor, that are trying to outrun defensive Mew. Note that this also puts you ahead of defensive Landorus-T.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 439-523 (114.9 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO Intimidate can't save him

This set sounds much better than the DD set, as it will be a much better wallbreaker than Azumarill with its better speed tier and safer boosting options.

Funny we should bring up Landoge actually.
Let's assume you're Jolly DD.
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 374-442 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

jesus

Yeah, I'm most definitely hyped for this thing to come out. It's most definitely going to be a cool option for rain teams to use again (some here might remember last gen when it was an option for rain). Swords Dance's power output in rain is hilarious. For example:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 356-421 (106.5 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn in Rain: 211-248 (59.9 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (I'd still recommend not to stay in on this but if you're ballsy enough to eat up Iron Barb and the potential Rocky Helmet then be my guest).

Dragon Dance sets aren't out of the question either, and MixGatr sounds pretty niche but still cool.

Honestly, I hope this (and Rock Head Tyrantrum as well) will shake things up a bit.

This seems petty interesting, also, maybe Focus Blast could be an option? Because it can 2hko Ferrothorn Without boost or even investment.

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 185-218 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Its just an idea tho..
You need only 12 Special Attack EVs to guarantee the 2HKO on 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn with Focus Blast:

12 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 187-221 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You also need 248 Speed EVs to outrun maximum speed Heatran, so a spread with Focus Blast would look like 248 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe Naive.

Been looking forward to this for ages. Just a question, would it be plausible to run Adamant rather than Jolly on the DD set?

Earthquake should be a slash on the Dragon Dance set. After one DD, it outspeeds Raikou and Megaman, and OHKOs with Earthquake.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 465-549 (141.3 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 294-346 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)