(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm assuming you mean Mythical Pokemon (event legends) since we have access to literally every other legend in XY+ORAS. It's probably a dumb question but were you upset that they distributed Celebi that way?

I mean, I can sorta see how it would suck if you didn't have Bank and then they announce stuff like this, but I would have thought that 90% of players have it so people without it don't really have much of an argument to lean on. Bank is pretty much a necessity the way I see it anyway, it's so easy to fill your PC with eggs / fodder from breeding, and if you keep a live dex then it's pretty much full already, and if you have two gen VI games then it's an absolute must for transferring between them.

How else were they meant to do it?? I guess they could have done the same as gen IV-V but not that many people actually have two consoles, could you imagine the frustration if they went that route again from the people that it affected? It would be way more people than what there are now complaining about bank / transporter. There's no way there's going to be another 'generation cutoff' again as long as Pokemon Bank is around, but even if there was it wouldn't be that horrible, nothing with a Pentagon is allowed in official competitions anyway so as far as Nintendo / GF are concerned it wouldn't matter.

Basically, I think anyone complaining about these apps are just spoiled babies who are used to GF handing them everything on a silver platter the last 5 generations. /rant
The Celebi thing didn't really count since I think it was around for about the same time as the free 1 month subscription. It was mainly used to give a reason for people who didn't need PokeBank's service to try it out anyway (aside from those who wanted to transfer their Pokemon from the Gen V games). However, yes, I mainly mean the mythical event Pokemon. That said, if they were to have a catachable Legendary be a reward there better be a good reason why it's PokeBank exclusive. I don't want PokeBank to become the main way they decide to give out neat treat to the fans and they start to ignore those who don't have it. They already ignore us outside of Japan enough already when it comes to many events.

Actually I'd think the number of people who have Pokemon Bank is less then 50%. Unless you have a living Pokedex I don't really see the Bank as a necessary tool. I have all the fully evolved Pokemon (minus Mew) in my game and I still have plenty of boxes for fodder and other stuff. I don't know how much room you need for hatching Eggs though I think just a box or two would do (afterall you can only hatch 5 eggs at a time).

And I'm not saying the old way was the best way, I'm just saying I would at least like to have the OPTION to do it that way. They were somehow able to let us transfer Pokemon directly from Gen III to Gen IV and those were on two separate system, so I don't see why they can't make it an option here. Besides, isn't one of the main things about Pokemon is trading with friends? I'm sure a friend/family member would let you use their DS to transfer Pokemon over. Heck, when advertising the Pokemon Bank you could even make that a point: "Why wait until you have 2 DSs? Use the PokeBank and you'll only need ONE DS to transfer your Pokemon over"! However for those who don't want PokeBank they have the old way of doing things.

Also as soon as they made direct transfer not possible they made a generation cutoff possible. Pokemon Bank is constantly being maintained and upgraded, which also means if there's any old features they can remove said feature in the future. Come Gen VII they may decide transferring Pokemon from Gen V is extra baggage so they'll drop it and focus only Gen VI to Gen VII transfer.

As for why would I want to transfer a Pokemon from an older game, maybe I was playing an old game and suddenly found a shiny. Or I for some reason played through it again, trained up a team in that game and decided on a whim to see how that team would do in the next gen game. True you can't use them in official competition but does that really mean you shouldn't be allowed to transfer up.

And I'm not complaining that the apps shouldn't exist, on the contrary, the PokeBank is a neat tool for those who want to use it. However what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be the only option. Because if they start removing options, who's to say they won't remove an option you'll want in the future?

I really don't understand the problem here or why you might think this is the main way they make events available. This is literally the first time in a year they've done a Pokébank event lol and it's a very minor one; it's just neat little treats once in a while.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I really don't understand the problem here or why you might think this is the main way they make events available. This is literally the first time in a year they've done a Pokébank event lol and it's a very minor one; it's just neat little treats once in a while.
I'd rather edge on the side of caution, call it a bit of paranoia if you must. But as you said, as long as they keep it to just neat treats every once in a while I don't think it'll become a problem.

Frankly, I think that this version of Pokebank is designed to be generation-agnostic; that is, it'll be the same storage system and the same Pokemon in it when they move to Gen 7 and beyond. It's a perfect solution to the ancient problem of transferring Pokemon betwixt generations, which has always been a pain.

I'd be wary of storing actual illegal Pokemon (HA non-standard Pokeball starters, for example) for any length of time, because whipping up a bit of code to scour the servers for and delete such Pokemon would not be difficult and is within the terms you agree to. But it's so bloody HANDY.

My fiance and I filled out a living dex of 001-719 that lives only in Pokebank (aside from my 2010 Mew, which is just too adorable to leave in there!), which makes life real easy. Neat fact: You don't have to exit to your own game to have any boxed pokemon count for a Dex; all you need to do is save inside Pokebank and you're gold.

Also, because I've had my Pokemon Soulsilver die on me with a dozen 4-6 IV battle tower bred Pokes and two score legendaries trapped in it (the saddest part is Smaug, my Sapphire-caught Flygon, who will never leave her Pokewalker), I keep 'just-as-goods' of my breeding in the living Dex so I never want to chuck my game again after losing hours (days?) of breeding effort.

Because I prefer breeding and Horde EV-training on X, and leveling/Maison on OR (the 6 Blissey-filled bases make leveling so easy, I've got two boxes of level 100s!), Pokebank also makes transferring ten or twenty or more Pokemon a 3 minute operation instead of an hour or more.

So, yes. I think Pokebank is overall a good, for the $5 a year; the HA starters and Celebi are just gravy on top. If it were DLC, it'd be along the lines of BL2's Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep (...Now I want to replay TTADK. I laughed, I cried, I loved. It was hands-down on of the best videogaming experiences I have EVER had), versus Oblivion horse armor.

i wonder why you didn't ask someone to help you pass these mons just like i did with my brother boy... it's so sad that if it wasn't for the closedown of 4th gen GTS i would offer doing it for you...

i hate the fact that they did not fix the HA of meganium and samurott. they changed the abilities of zapdos (meh, anyway defog would be incompatible so...), scolipede (my worst nightmare made true: allowing people discover baton pass after I already having suffered Crep discovering and abusing it on BW. yep from the very start i knew what was coming and the likely (and truly deserved) end) and especially chandelure just that gengar could have shadow tag to abuse of it exclusively instead (GF I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU THAT), couldn't GF at least give them something like magic guard (on a decent wall this is awesome, shitty pure grass type or not) and serene grace (if you wonder why, four words: Swords Dance Razor Shell. 100% chance to drop defense? yes please)? those two abilities would at least make them usable

Yeah, agreed. Meganium and Samurott really got the short end of the stick. Natural Cure and maybe Swift Swim probably would have been better! All the other starters of their generation got very good HAs, so why did they have to give only half-decent abilities to Meganium and Samurott?! I don't think that it'll even be worth breeding for a 5IV Leaf Guard Meganium, let alone a Shell Armor Samurott. Poor Samurott will be stuck in NU for good.

i wonder why you didn't ask someone to help you pass these mons just like i did with my brother boy... it's so sad that if it wasn't for the closedown of 4th gen GTS i would offer doing it for you...
I tried paying Soulsilver one day after spending a couple of weeks on other games and it started with the message that the save file had been corrupted. I had no opportunity to save them at all.

I tried paying Soulsilver one day after spending a couple of weeks on other games and it started with the message that the save file had been corrupted. I had no opportunity to save them at all.
I think that you could still start a new file, and retrieve your Flygon from your Pokewalker if you wanted to.

I think that you could still start a new file, and retrieve your Flygon from your Pokewalker if you wanted to.
Nah, Pokéwalker doesn't work if you start a new file.
There's something very annoying I had. I innocently went to start a new file so I could use Cyndaquil a couple of years ago, and the Pokéwalker which I was starting to enjoy had suddenly been rendered useless. Bullshit.

There's something very annoying I had. I innocently went to start a new file so I could use Cyndaquil a couple of years ago, and the Pokéwalker which I was starting to enjoy had suddenly been rendered useless. Bullshit.
Wow, I didn't know that. Is that poor design or what?

I think there could have been potential for cloning shenanigans (like GF has ever been able to stop THAT), so they tried to stop it.

Shame, I liked the Pokewalker too.
Guess they didn't think about those who might want to restart their games. I wonder if they even mentioned this in the manual?

Really? That's weird I've started a new file in Heart Gold with a Pokewalker-obtained Pokemon run and restarted the Pokewalker to that new save file successfully. In fact I sort of stopped playing that file since Gen 5 came out but I have used the same Pokewalker alright.

I just can't remember how at the moment, I'll have to dig a bit to try and remember since it was a few years ago.

Really? That's weird I've started a new file in Heart Gold with a Pokewalker-obtained Pokemon run and restarted the Pokewalker to that new save file successfully. In fact I sort of stopped playing that file since Gen 5 came out but I have used the same Pokewalker alright.

I just can't remember how at the moment, I'll have to dig a bit to try and remember since it was a few years ago.
Well yes; you can restart the Pokéwalker... if the save file it's connected to is still active. If you start a new game without also restarting the Pokéwalker, then the Pokéwalker is eternally fucked.

I personally miss the one from HGSS:

I was able to tell exactly where it is and how many steps I have to take to get to it.
Yes, I absolutely LOVED the item finder from HG/SS. I don't think they should have even ever changed it after that, it was perfect. I'd love just walking around, exploring new areas, and constantly checking the radar for items.

The new item finders are so lack-luster, and just aren't even fun to use.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The change of the Dowsing Machine from Gen 5. In XY you have to spend a while finding out which direction it is, and in OR/AS you can't even cycle or surf while using it.
What's wrong with actually having to look for hidden items? Wouldn't it be boring if it was any more accurate? I personally enjoy the way it works now (not to mention you wear it like a pair of antennae on your head lol). Can you even cycle / surf while using it in XY? Pretty sure you can't...

The change of the Dowsing Machine from Gen 5. In XY you have to spend a while finding out which direction it is, and in OR/AS you can't even cycle or surf while using it.
I agree. The Dowsing Machine in 5th gen was just perfect, and the one in HG/SS was incredibly good too. The new one in X/Y was too tedious to use in my opinion, it just wasn't fun to use unlike the two before it. Being unable to use it on the bike or while surfing didn't make things better. Can't speak for OR/AS as I haven't played them, but from what I understand, it is mostly the same there as in X/Y.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I like the Gen V Dowsing MCHN because whenever it activated it felt like I was on a treasure hunt. Though HGSS may have showed you exactly where the item was, the Gen V one only pointed in the general direction of the item. You didn't know how far away it was and sometimes it would point in a direction blocked off or on a higher plain, but the Dowsing MCHN says there's an item there. It was your job to find it and since the Dowsing MCHN was on the bottom screen you could use any of your tools at your disposal to find them (and always have a vague direction to follow). And when you finally got to the item, the Dowsing MCHN's "rods" crossed in an "X marks the spot", making finding the item all the more satisfying.

But in Gen VI the Dowsing MCHN was sort of downgraded. In XY they were still rod shaped but the rods didn't move in the direction of where the items were, just glowed a different color when you were facing the right direction. And since it was on the top screen you couldn't do anything else but use the Dowsing MCHN. However the items in XY weren't hidden in difficult spots nor were they in places you couldn't use the Dowsing MCHN. However ORAS then changed it from the usual two rods/radar screen to this ridiculous looking antenna thing. Why? Oh, and since underwater has maps of course they hid things underwater... where you couldn't use the new Dowsing MCHN. Also, even though it worked exactly like the one in XY, oddly without the pointing rods it felt like I was bumbling about looking for the item instead of following something pointing in a specific direction. Finally the Gen VI Dowsing MCHN glowing red just doesn't have that satisfying feel as the Gen V's one did by creating an "X" with the rods.

The Gen VI Dowsing MCHN isn't bad, it does its job and it does it good. But I don't think it does it as well as the Gen V one did.

At least the undersea maps could have more obvious hints where something's buried... you know, like in the original R/S/E? A little rock here, a darker spot in an area you could resurface... Something. Anything. But no, just mash A madly underwater and hope you get lucky. Does anyone know if the official guide even tells you where some of this shit is? (just curious, I don't feel like dropping $20+ on it to find out... or for anything for that matter)

Hoopa and volcanion still aren't released.
>:(
...So? We know Hoopa is coming soon. Japan will get it around the time the movie starring it (and P-Groudon and P-Kyogre) hits theaters, while us outside Japan will probably see it mid-late October/early November just before the next and last games for gen 6 hit. Who knows when Volcanion will be released, other than not before Hoopa.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
At least the undersea maps could have more obvious hints where something's buried... you know, like in the original R/S/E? A little rock here, a darker spot in an area you could resurface... Something. Anything. But no, just mash A madly underwater and hope you get lucky. Does anyone know if the official guide even tells you where some of this shit is? (just curious, I don't feel like dropping $20+ on it to find out... or for anything for that matter)
Don't know about the official strategy guide has it, but you can find guides online easily enough. Serebii and Bulbapedia both try to tell you where it is, IGN posted a picture guide for the Plates, Youtube video for the Plates, and Youtube video for the Orbs.

Though even with the picture guides I did find myself clicking around like a madman in the general area as you need to be EXACT where you click, you can't be off center.

Hoopa and volcanion still aren't released.
>:(
Like a Chansey up against a poisoned foe, have patience and the time you're waiting for will come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)