All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Old gen Wi-Fi matches are done via emulator. TGB Dual for GBC and Project64 Netplay for N64. I do them as well.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PP ups. You play though the game enough times to get enough PP ups (or just get Missingno to copy a bunch for you to save time), then you max out your PP that way.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you are fully paralyzed on the turn you are up in the air or down in the ground you will stay there and therefor be semi-invulnerable until you are able to execute fly/dig again. I think that's all of it, correct me if i'm wrong.

hurting yourself in confusion also causes the glitch the same way full paralysis does. the only moves that'll hit you are swift and i believe weirdly bide. other than that, you're basically immune to any attack until you use fly/dig or switch out.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Desyncs in link battles happen mainly with counter.

froggy25 said:
Crystal_ said:
If I remember correctly no desync would occur in that scenario, since the move was actually selected. As far as I remember desyncs may only be triggered if you don't select any move (that is, you mess around in the move selection menu, and then switch out)
froggy25 said:
And if you use Psychic on a Paralyzed Tauros, on the next turn if it stays fully Paralyzed trying to use a Normal move, and you use Counter, the game will desync as Tauros will take Psychic damage × 2 on one game, while Counter will fail on the other game

And if you use Psychic on a Paralyzed Tauros, on the next turn if it stays fully Paralyzed trying to use a Normal move, and you use Counter, the game will desync as Tauros will take Psychic damage × 2 on one game, while Counter will fail on the other game
Just to clarify this again:
This was actually the damage from a previous battle that got Countered (which is even worse, actually =P )
The damage address doesn't get cleared when a battle begins or finishes, so it's relatively easy to trigger a desync exploiting this even in the very first turn of a link battle (it would take the other player to miss a damaging normal/fighting type move or just switch out).

Other than Counter I know of more moves that may trigger desync errors:
- Psywave drawing 0 damage will require one side to keep drawing more random numbers but not the other side
- Using Mirror Move on a trapping move in the turn the other Pokemon switches out
- Freezing the target only clears hyper beam recharge status for player's side (this one doesn't really cause any desync errors, since while the enemy's side is expecting the Pokemon to use a move instead of recharging, the player's side is recharging and doesn't send any move to the other side, so no move is actually used in either side).
- Defrosting a Pokemon with a fire attack and forcing it to use a move that was selected before it got frozen. It also requires the frozen pokemon to switch out and switch back.

Last edited:

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Hi, I have a doubt about the EV spread, I'm referring specifically about the HP/Def/SpD investment and how it affects in the defensive capabilities. Taking Tyranitar as an example, what would be better, spend EVs into HP or Def?

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unless you want to live a specific hit from a specific Pokémon, it's generally advised to invest in HP instead of the defenses.

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Thanks a lot Isa and Jellicent, that calc that you gave me is insane, what a usefull tool, thanks man! So, on summary, can I say that for general bulk (both sides, physical and special) is better invest EVs into HP and for specific bulk is better invest those EVs into the specific defensive side?

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'll give you some examples. For a Pokémon that you want to be a dedicated wall like Vaporeon or Skarmory, you'll generally want to invest 252 HP and 252 (Sp)Def. In some cases you want to go with a mixed set, in which case you'll look up some important benchmarks (avoiding a 2/3HKO from Banded Tyranitar for example) and then take EVs from the first defense and put them into the other defensive stat.

For an offensive, slow Pokémon that you do not wish to invest speed EVs into (and that only attacks on one side of the spectrum), you can again dump it all into HP, or check for something specific that you want to survive and then make your EV spread according to that once more.

You can either end up with some very simple EV spreads (Skarmory with 252 HP 252+ Def or SpDef as an example), or some very advanced ones - from one page back, this is the spread of a Tyranitar:
EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)

So yeah.

It's rarely recommended to invest heavily in (Sp)Def without investing in HP, but there's exceptions (Blissey springs to mind). However, as you're probably new to EVing, I'd recommend sticking to easier spreads for now.

Last edited:
After the Battle of Hoenn Competition is now over and the results are computed: when or how do I get my participation price (i.e. the HA Tyrunt)?

re: EV stuff

The main reason to invest in sdef/def without investing in HP is when the Pokemon's HP stat is way way better than its actual defensive stats. In that case, sdef/def EVs pull way more weight. Think Hariyama or Drifblim. If you have a Pokemon with 400 HP and 100 in each defense, adding 30 points to each defense is going to add way more general survivability than adding 60 HP.

I have no experience on previous Gens, but I decided to add Ubers from Gens I-V to this page. My questions are:
  1. What made the Latis Uber in Gens III and IV?
  2. What made Salamence Uber in Gen IV?
  3. What made Manaphy Uber in Gen IV and V?
  4. What made the Tornadus-T, Thundurus and Landorus Uber in Gen V?
Also, could you check if my entries on Mew and Celebi are right?

Isa

"Fire- and Dark-type attacks were rare too, and she could easily survive an Ice Beam from most Pokémon. The only attacks that had a shot at beating Celebi were HP Flying from Dragonite and Drill Peck from Dodrio."

Nobody uses either HP Flying on Dragonite nor Dodrio at all, lol

Celebi fears Forretress and a lot of things with Hidden Power Bug.

Neither Choice Specs nor Choice Scarf existed in Generation III. You should clarify when you're talking about the referenced generation and when you're talking about the current generation. The list of counters is also suspicious because some don't exist in gen 3, others aren't counters in gen 6.

Swagger was introduced in Generation 2, not 3.

After that it gets too long for me to read, but you need to work on the structure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)