ORAS OU Stallturn

Hello!

I'm clearly not the first person to jump on the Mega Sableye stall train, but I couldn't resist trying it out. Magic Bouncers Espeon, Xatu and even Mega Diancie leave much to be desired in terms of their defensive typings and stats. Now that stall has received another amazing defensive mega other than Venusaur, some variety has been brought back into a playstyle that was beginning to grow stale towards the end of XY. This has been one of my most successful teams, reaching #1 on the OU ladder a few times and winning random OU room tournaments here and there. I have not yet had the opportunity to jump into Smogon's official tournament scene unfortunately. Like my previous RMTs, this one showcases a few strange sets that work surprisingly well in their respective niches, and it also introduced a couple of useful sets to the metagame such as bulky Toxic Excadrill and SpDef Mega Sableye. It is also the first ORAS OU team to feature the increasingly popular trio of Sableye, Talonflame and Clefable.

I really enjoy the introduction of all of these new megas, especially Mega Sableye who seems to have created a lot of room for creativity and innovation in team-building. Also I like Mega Sableye's design, and I want to demonstrate what this thing is capable of doing outside of its typical defensive CM sweeper role on full stall teams.

audino spumoni

Other accounts: Branflakes325 (peaked #1 suspect ladder); Sablenite (peaked #2)

The Team

Stall and semi-stall teams enjoy taking advantage of free turns as much as any team would, and one way to acquire these free turns is by maintaining momentum. This is how VoltTurn cores/teams thrive, and this team applies the same principles of preserving momentum to a more defensive playstyle. The benefits of maintaining momentum through use of VoltTurn are easily noticeable against common stall cores (Chansey, Skarmory, Slowbro, MVenu, etc), and thus this team rarely has problems with any kind of opposing stall. At the same time it performs well at walling and wearing down most of OU's most threatening powerhouses.

Team Building Process

The team began with a balanced core that seemed really effective on paper: Sableye and Talonflame. Sableye does a good job keeping rocks away for Talonflame, who can burn the physical attackers that threaten Mega Sableye. The core was so effective in practice that these sets hadn't changed a bit since this first step of building the team.

I took the simple all-purpose balance approach and slapped "landwash" onto the team. It's one of the most reliable VoltTurn cores that brought a lot to the team offensively and defensively.

I made the questionable decision of using Scarf Greninja, which at the time was an effective surprise against Mega Salamence and opposing Scarf Landorus-T. That was before people started investing in Mega Salamence's special bulk to prevent Rotom-W from breaking its subs. SpDef MG Clefable was included for Wish-passing and Heal Bell, both from which the team greatly benefited.

Mono-attacking bulky Salamence quickly became the most common set, and it just so happened to be countered by fellow table Avalugg of all things. Avalugg, being able to use Mega Mence as spin fodder, was a surprisingly effective replacement that also mitigated my team's weakness to Banded Azumarill which was/is fairly common. Gliscor replaced Landorus-T because I wanted a second Taunt user that was cooler looking and less prone to being worn down. Umbreon replaced Clefable because it seemed to be a better specially defensive cleric with Foul Play to deal with some of the physical attackers that used cleric Clefable as setup fodder.

I replaced physically defensive Avalugg with specially defensive Excadrill and specially defensive Umbreon with physically defensive Clefable. At the time, I designated the Mence-countering role to Rotom-W by running both Will-O-Wisp and HP Ice, so I didn't need to take such drastic measures as to using Avalugg lol. My team was awfully weak to offensive fairies as Mega Diancie (and gardevoir) started to gain popularity, and thus Excadrill was my best answer while still providing important utility with Rapin Spin. Considering my team was still way too vulnerable to setup sweepers, I ended up replacing Umbreon with Unaware Clefable. Wish passing was no longer really necessary, but I kept Heal Bell for team support and making Clefable a dangerous setup sweeper.

After Mega Mence's was banned, I had the freedom of replacing Rotom-W with something preferably bulkier and less easily worn down. However, I still wanted a bulky water-type that could preserve momentum while having the capability to stay healthy and spread burns via Scald. The two contenders for this spot were BP Vaporeon and U-Turn Manaphy. I saw no reason to use Vaporeon unless I needed Roar, which I didn't because my team already had Unaware, Taunt-users and strong priority to deal with setup.

-------------------------
Team Breakdown

Sableye

Item: Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Foul Play -> Protect -> Fake Out
• Knock Off
Will-O-Wisp
Recover

Mega Sableye is by far the most defensively stable Magic Bounce user, and this set aims to take full advantage of its amazing abilities. SpDef MSableye's performance is somewhat of a one-man-show, as its weaknesses are usually covered by any standard team format and it can hold its own against such a vast number of common physical and special attackers in OU. It does this by knocking off items, for instance, Naive Landorus-I has an 18% chance to KO Sableye with two Earth Powers before succumbing to Recover stall and doing only 37.9 - 44.8% per hit. Almost all physical attackers fear Will-O-Wisp and/or Foul Play, thus giving Sableye a free turn to mega evolve if Magic Bounce benefits the team more. M-Sableye is also a 100% counter to Ferrothorn; therefore it doesn't matter if the rest of my team is walled by it (which it is for the most part lol).

The most common and predictable Sableye set is currently defensive CM, which takes away from Sableye's amazing utility by somewhat confining it to the role of the setup sweeper with a bit of redundancy in defensive investment + Will-o-wisp before it acquires any boosts. This is not to say that CM Sableye is lacking in utility. It obviously does its job excellently, but Mega Sableye is capable of putting in just as much work on the special side. Considering Sableye is rather self-sufficient, most of the original team was put together without a real attempt to support it or build around it. Rather, the rest of the team was designed to benefit from Sableye. It is the support.

EDIT: Fake Out is currently being used over Foul Play/Protect. It guarantees that Sableye can mega evolve safely in any given situation, while also being incredibly useful for first turn scouting and revealing leftovers. Protect often baits setup moves from Talonflame, sub CM Keldeo, Zard X, Clefable, Azumarill, etc. It's a low-risk move that does almost no damage, yet it puts Sableye and/or the rest of the team in an advantageous situation at the start of a match.

Excadrill
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpD / 36 Spe
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Earthquake
Iron Head
Toxic
Rapid Spin

Mega Sableye can't be burdened with keeping hazards off its side 100% of the time. So I wanted a defogger/spinner (preferably the latter), and I had difficulty looking for one that could find frequent opportunities to switch in and get its job done. The spinner slot originally belonged to Avalugg who actually wasn't awful, given that the team was developed during the "Enter Mega Mence" era. However, the anticipation of physical attackers wielding special coverage, coupled with its SR-weak spinner issues left me wanting something better. My team needed a steel type, which limited my options to Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor and Excadrill.

Specially defensive Excadrill was an idea that immediately stuck out because of my weakness to special-attacking fairies, namely Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir and Specs Sylveon. I was immediately impressed by Excadrill's deceptively fat 110/60/65 defenses. As we know from Alomomola and Chansey, a high HP stat does a great job offsetting low base defenses, and Excadrill has an amazing defensive typing to take advantage of that. Dual stab is all Excadrill needs to KO whatever it switches into, including but not limited to Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Magnezone, Bulky Rotom-W (watch out for wisp), Clefable, Gengar, Latios/Latias, Raikou, non-offensive Zapdos and Specs Sylveon. Toxic allows Excadrill to stop Mega Sableye by mold breaking through Magic Bounce, and it's also useful for inflicting status on obvious Lando-T switch-ins among other things. Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie are almost incapable of KOing Excadrill with Focus Blast and Earth Power respectively (save for two high rolls from Gardevoir) if you switch in on any of their STAB moves. Without attack investment, Excadrill can still OHKO back and deal serious damage to most of the tier.

I opted for leftovers over Assault Vest because you can't just slap AV on anything to make it bulky. This set's purpose is to be able to repeatedly switch into attacks for the sake of checking/countering opponents and scouting. Thus, Leftovers recovery adds up quickly and makes it so that +0/+1 Clefable Flamethrowers/Fire Blasts can be taken with relative ease, meaning that Excadrill can switch directly into any Clefable set repeatedly (bar modest LO fireblast). Also Mold Breaker Toxic is a cool surprise when your opponent thinks they've already sealed the victory with Mega Sableye. EVs are for out-speeding def Lando-T and having additional speed creep for Rotom-W and Venusaur (ty chimpact).

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 107-126 (25.2 - 29.7%)
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 294-348 (69.3 - 82%)
~15% chance to KO

252 SpA (160) Diancie Moonblast vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 85-101 (20 - 23.8%)
252 SpA (160) Diancie Earth Power vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 216-256 (50.9 - 60.3%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 204-240 (48.1 - 56.6%)
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 124-148 (29.2 - 34.9%)

4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 144-170 (33.9 - 40%)
0 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 220 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%)

Manaphy
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Nature:
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Scald
U-turn
Rain Dance
Rest

Manaphy rounds off most of my team's special-side weaknesses and is the first essential component of my U-Turn core. Honestly I didn't even know Manaphy had U-Turn until I actively searched for a Rotom-W replacement with either U-Turn, Volt Switch or Baton Pass. Specially defensive Manaphy walls/checks strong special attackers such as Greninja, Heatran and Landorus-I, while preserving momentum in these situations. Manaphy is usually a fearsome setup sweeper, and thus most opponents do not react to it as they would a Vaporeon or Alomomola. The fear of a Tail Glow/Calm Mind set often forces opponents to switch, in which case U-Turn is used to grab momentum. I would go more indepth in my explanation, but this is pretty much all it does besides spamming scald lol. Gliscor with Taunt is an excellent partner to Manaphy as it can Taunt opposing Chansey and set up rocks and/or keep the momentum by using its own U-turn after taunting. The four moves it has are essential to the team's success, which unfortunately leaves no room for Calm Mind or Tail Glow. Rain Dance + Rest keeps Manaphy invulnerable to being worn down by status, and also offers it a much-needed means of recovery as a special wall. The rain turns also mitigate this team's partial weakness to Fire-type attackers, though you need to be cautious about using Rain Dance in the face of opposing Keldeo and certain Scald spammers. It's worth noting that Manaphy has significantly better mixed defenses than Vaporeon.

Why not Tail Glow or Calm Mind? Because the team is not at all designed for supporting a Manaphy sweep. I use Manaphy for its raw bulk and self sufficiency as a wall, and thus having a boosting move with a bulky spread would make Manaphy a very situational late game cleaner. Clefable already does that. More often than not, I would not find any opportunities to set up, and TG/CM would be a waste of a move slot. U-Turn helps tremendously when I do not want to kill my own momentum.

If Manaphy ends up getting banned from OU at any point in the future, its role can be performed well by this Vaporeon set:

Vaporeon
EVs: 60 HP / 196 Def / 252 SpD
Nature:
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
Scald
Baton Pass
Rain Dance
Rest

Functions almost exactly the same as Manaphy. Its mixed defenses are slightly inferior to that of Manaphy because of its crappy base 60 defense. I have yet to determine whether or not it would be best to capitalize on Vaporeon's superior special bulk. Baton Pass is usually a bit inferior to U-Turn because of the lack of chip damage, but it gets the same job done. Baton Pass actually has the benefit of not making contact with Ferrothorn, though it doesn't lure in Ferro quite like Manaphy does. Vaporeon has a stronger scald too.

Also if you're that guy who doesn't like using legendaries then I guess this set is for you lol

Gliscor
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Earthquake
U-turn
• Taunt
Stealth Rock

Defensive Gliscor's spread and typing compliment Manaphy's almost perfectly outside of bolt-beam coverage, and is arguably the most essential member of the team for shutting down opposing stall. This set bears similarities to defensive Landorus-T, whom Gliscor replaced with having utility as a status-absorber and stall-breaker. Being on the receiving end of U-turn while having its own U-Turn and Taunt makes it incredibly difficult for standard stall cores to do anything, oftentimes wearing them down without offering free turns on which most stall teams thrive. Gliscor obviously has the ability to check strong physical attackers such as Excadrill, Bisharp and Landorus-T, and is one of the team's greatest Knock Off sponges in situations where Clefable and Sableye should be kept as healthy as possible. This set lacks speed investment because of the many cases in which having a slower U-Turn is more desirable.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Brave Bird
Will-O-Wisp
• Taunt
Roost

Talonphlegm is by far the strongest and fastest member of the team, but it is also the most frail and most difficult to switch in. Manaphy and Gliscor are amazing at providing safe opportunities for Talonflame to come in and cripple almost anything in the tier with the correct move. I'm not sure how common this set is, but it's a more offensive variation of the SpDef stall-breaker set you usually see. Adamant Brave Bird is enough to make Talonflame an excellent revenge killer, late game cleaner and offensive check to many fast attackers such as Greninja (76.5 - 90.2%) and Gengar (90.4 - 106.8%). Having two Taunt users is anything but redundant, as it makes Talonflame a useful stall-breaking partner after Gliscor uses U-turn. Will-O-Wisp may also seem redundant, but the ease of spreading burns between Sableye/Talonflame's Will-O-Wisp and Manaphy's Scald makes it difficult for physical attackers to do anything safely. It also helps tremendously with wearing down any team, while offering Talonflame an alternative method of dealing damage when Brave Bird is resisted or undesirable due to recoil. The 60 EVs in speed allow Talonflame to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, allowing Talonflame to burn it and potentially survive a subsequent Rock Slide. The rest of the EVs went into HP to give it some much needed bulk.

-2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 192 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 291-343 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 48 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Moonblast
Calm Mind
Heal Bell
Moonlight

It's only a little bit of a coincidence that I have Clefable (or clefairy lol) on almost every team I've posted. Its abilities to wall, support and potentially sweep are almost unparalleled in OU, and I often find it covering many of my teams' weaknesses. The rest of my team has issues with a wide range of setup sweepers, many of which would end up losing 1v1 against Unaware Clefable. Heal Bell helps mitigate Unaware Clefable's weakness to damaging status. It also helps for the many instances of Sableye getting burned by Scald/Lava Plume and Manaphy being forced to Rest without setting up rain first. Unfortunately Heal Bell has a downside of healing TO Gliscor, which can be problematic if Gliscor takes a Knock Off. Flamethrower/Fireblast coverage is pretty useless since Ferrothorn is easily handled by Sableye. Moonlight over Softboiled because Softboiled is illegal with Unaware.

Updated EVs allow Clefable to live +2 Adamant Mega Gyarados Waterfall (mold breaker ignores unaware) with remaining EVs and Calm nature (+SpDef) to take less damage from Keldeo, Manaphy and other special setup sweepers.

+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 204 Def Clefable: 331-390 (84.2 - 99.2%)

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 204 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 204 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.2 - 52.1%)

252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 248 HP / 48+ SpD Clefable: 123-145 (31.2 - 36.8%)
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 48+ SpD Clefable: 169-199 (43 - 50.6%)

252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 248 HP / 48+ SpD Clefable: 103-123 (26.2 - 31.2%)

Threats

If you don't have one of the things listed below, chances are you will find yourself in an unfavorable match-up against this team. Feel free to point out anything I'm missing here. As far as I know, there is nothing that straight up counters or sweeps this team without severely weakening it first or relying on misplays.

Rain Offense
Rain teams are focused on hitting harder and faster than any other type of offense. Setup sweepers (see below) give Clefable a lot of trouble because of rain boosted STAB and diminished Moonlight recovery. My own Manaphy is important for dealing with opposing rain teams by taking advantage of Hydration Rest, Scald burns and switch-in opportunities thanks to U-Turn. Rain Offense becomes a problem when I cannot cripple its strong physical attackers.
Manaphy (252 SpA - Scald, Rest, TG/CM, Rain Dance)
This particular set is the single most difficult setup sweeper to stop and revenge kill, even for Unaware Clefable. Moonlight recovery gets reduced in the rain and cannot keep up with its own CM boosts if Manaphy manages to inflict Scald burns.
Mega Charizard +

Half the threat of Charizard is not being certain about which mega stone it has. Considering Zard Y is often paired with Tyranitar, it's risky to set up rain with Manaphy and attempt to go for Hydration + Rest. Zard X cannot defeat Clefable without taking significant damage, which usually leaves it in KO range for Talonflame if sacrificing Clefable is necessary.
CB Azumarill

Like Charizard, part of what makes Azumarill threatening is figuring out what set its running. With the correct move, Azumarill can 2HKO or OHKO anything on my team, and even resisted STAB does a lot of damage.
Mega Gardevoir
Modest can 2HKO my entire team. Other fairies are reliably handled by Excadrill, but Modest Focus Blast is too strong and guarantees a KO if Excadrill takes damage from Hyper Voice or Psyshock upon switching in.

Mamoswine
Mega Pinsir
Sub Mega Gyarados
Sharp Beak Taunt SD Talonflame

I fear the day Volcanion gets released. I'm pretty sure both defensive and offensive sets would be come very popular and it would be able to easily tear this team apart :(

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190601559
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187062522
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-188636327
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187599691
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187627186
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-188153067

Have fun if you try this team out!

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 48 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Last edited:
Hey. This team is extremely solid and I love how you combined voltturn with stall. It's genius.
There really isn't anything to add but just to not have this post deleted, I will make a suggestion:

Maybe run a bit of SDef on Clefable as this helps it better take on opposing Rain Dance CM/TG Manaphy. Maybe just enough to avoid a 2HKO if Clef is burned so it can set up alongside it.

Side note time....Mega Heracross looks like a threat, how do you deal with it?

Anyways, crishpy and solid team. Props to you. :]

Edit: Clefable, Tflame and Gliscor answer M-hera. Brainfarted. So yeah ignore the side note, hehe.

Last edited:
Hey. This team is extremely solid and I love how you combined voltturn with stall. It's genius.
There really isn't anything to add but just to not have this post deleted, I will make a suggestion:

Maybe run a bit of SDef on Clefable as this helps it better take on opposing Rain Dance CM/TG Manaphy. Maybe just enough to avoid a 2HKO if Clef is burned so it can set up alongside it.

Side note time....Mega Heracross looks like a threat, how do you deal with it?

Anyways, crishpy and solid team. Props to you. :]

Edit: Clefable, Tflame and Gliscor answer M-hera. Brainfarted. So yeah ignore the side note, hehe.
I like the idea of giving Clefable a bit of SpDef, as it would help me out against Manaphy and Keldeo without a doubt. It still wouldn't be a foolproof answer to Manaphy since Rain Dance reduces Moonlight's recovery to a measly 25%, meaning I need to be taking less than ~20% from Scalds to actually recover HP while taking burn damage. It's really a losing battle for Clefable unless it takes more than a couple Scalds to inflict a burn. The suggested mixed defense spreads listed on smogon account for things like Mega Venusaur, Thundurus, etc which aren't really concerning to begin with. So I'll see if I can come up with a spread of my own.

Mimolette: Thanks! yeah the combination of TO gliscor and aromatherapy is kinda silly, but I've come to accept the risk in situations where aromatherapy is really needed lol. They both seem so useful on their own and I don't know how I would replace either.

Hey! Awesome team you got there! Manaphy with U-Turn is really special =P

I was wondering, why do you put 60Spe on Talonflame since Brave Bird is already a priority move with Gale Wings?

And also why 8Spe on Clefable, Sableye and Gliscor but 16Spe for Manaphy?

60 Spe lets Talonflame outspeed Jolly Excadrill so you can burn it. It's the nearest benchmark that doesn't involve too much sacrifice in HP. The other Spe values are just arbitrary speed creep and don't mean much. I guess Manaphy's speed is a bit more important so that it has a lower chance of being worn down by Taunt Heatrans that are EV'd to outspeed uninvested base 100s. Sableye's speed creep is just in case I come across a Ferrothorn that runs Power Whip over Gyro Ball so I can safely switch in Sableye and recover without having to worry about a speed tie.

Hey Branflakes325 nice team. TBH I don't really see how Manaphy contributes heavily to your team and IMO it amplifies your team's weaknesses. Using rain dance makes taking powerful water attacks more difficult for your team, which it already has trouble against. In addition, the use of rain dance actually limits the recovery of Clefable. Manaphy actually amplifies your weakness to DD Mega-Gyarados, who looks like it would be an absolute nightmare for your team. The unevolved form can set up a Substitute on Manaphy, Gliscor, and Excadrill get to +1 or +2 and ignore Clefable's Unaware to bust through your team. Even though Manaphy has U-turn over other Water-types, I think that its lack of resists, weak attacking power, and reliance on Rain Dance makes it a bad match for your team.

To fix these issues, I would replace Manaphy with Rest Talk Gyarados. Gyarados gives your team some key resists that allows your team to handle otherwise threatening Pokemon before. Intimidate lets it handle physical attackers much more easily than Manaphy so Azumarill, Mega-Gyarados Mega-Metagross can be handled. Gyarados' initial Flying-typing means Gyarados also handles Pokemon with Fighting or Grass coverage are more easily handled than Manaphy. Both Charizard variants, Greninja, and Keldeo are handled better. You already have Aromatherapy on Clefable and anti-hazard Sableye + Excadrill so you shouldn't be too pressured in keeping Gyarados healthy. Gyarados is also a phazer which means you have an option to deal with setup sweepers outside of Clefable.

You can tweak the EV's to tailor to certain threats, but Max HP / Max Def+ usually gets the job done. Dragon Tail vs Roar is your choice on whether you want Substitute Gyarados or Taunt Gyarados to give you more trouble. I would go with Roar because you can handle SubCM Keldeo better that way.
248 HP limits SR damage and the 8 Spe lets you outspeed neutral max speed base 50's.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Good luck and congrats on the peak!

Thanks for the rate and suggestion!

Gyarados definitely seems like an option for replacing Manaphy, but I think the team would benefit more from a specially defensive set. Manaphy's purpose was, for the most part, to take all kinds of special hits that my team couldn't otherwise handle and make low-risk switches with U-Turn. Gyarados seems to be capable of the same kind of special walling, especially with the resistances it gets from flying type. Problem is, if I gave it a defensive spread my team would be horribly weak to hydro pumps. Especially from your team lol

Or I could go mixed. Because if I committed fully to spdef then banded azumarill and mega metagross (without tpunch which i see pretty often) would still be really difficult to handle. I guess my biggest issue with RestTalk Gyara is that it's offensively garbage, and I wouldn't really be able to do much to Azumarill or Keldeo besides forcing them out after taking some damage. Then again, Manaphy can't do a whole lot either besides getting scald burns so I'll have to try out Gyara as a replacement. I've grown reliant on U-turn for low-risk predictions because I'm a scrub, so it might take some time to adjust to its replacement >_>

You're right about rain dance being a problem for Clefable, and it basically sets up an opportunity for Mega Gyarados to wreck my team. My only answer to this is not being dumb and creating that opportunity lol. If Manaphy really needs to heal up, I could rest w/o rain and heal with clefable if I get the chance.

EDIT: Mega Gyarados can be threatening if it gets a free setup turn, in which case I would most likely have to sacrifice Clefable to bring it in KO range of Brave Bird. Fortunately Clefable can survive a +2 hit and take advantage of Mega Gyara's weakness to Moonblast.

Last edited:

Tele

a quality human being
Hey Branflakes325 nice team. TBH I don't really see how Manaphy contributes heavily to your team and IMO it amplifies your team's weaknesses. Using rain dance makes taking powerful water attacks more difficult for your team, which it already has trouble against. In addition, the use of rain dance actually limits the recovery of Clefable. Manaphy actually amplifies your weakness to DD Mega-Gyarados, who looks like it would be an absolute nightmare for your team. The unevolved form can set up a Substitute on Manaphy, Gliscor, and Excadrill get to +1 or +2 and ignore Clefable's Unaware to bust through your team. Even though Manaphy has U-turn over other Water-types, I think that its lack of resists, weak attacking power, and reliance on Rain Dance makes it a bad match for your team.

To fix these issues, I would replace Manaphy with Rest Talk Gyarados. Gyarados gives your team some key resists that allows your team to handle otherwise threatening Pokemon before. Intimidate lets it handle physical attackers much more easily than Manaphy so Azumarill, Mega-Gyarados Mega-Metagross can be handled. Gyarados' initial Flying-typing means Gyarados also handles Pokemon with Fighting or Grass coverage are more easily handled than Manaphy. Both Charizard variants, Greninja, and Keldeo are handled better. You already have Aromatherapy on Clefable and anti-hazard Sableye + Excadrill so you shouldn't be too pressured in keeping Gyarados healthy. Gyarados is also a phazer which means you have an option to deal with setup sweepers outside of Clefable.

You can tweak the EV's to tailor to certain threats, but Max HP / Max Def+ usually gets the job done. Dragon Tail vs Roar is your choice on whether you want Substitute Gyarados or Taunt Gyarados to give you more trouble. I would go with Roar because you can handle SubCM Keldeo better that way.
248 HP limits SR damage and the 8 Spe lets you outspeed neutral max speed base 50's.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Good luck and congrats on the peak!
i dont agree with ur suggestion. even if it doesnt seem so, spe def manaphy is really important for this team, checking a ton of threats which are quite popular, such as gengar and landorus-i, which otherwise can sweep with ease. i cant really see how gyarados would make the team better
anyway i really like the innovation, uturn gliscor and uturn manaphy are a really solid core and its hard to get past them, while toxic excadrill allows u to cripple some common walls who like to switch in on exca, like bulky landot or slowbro, allowing talon to sweep later on. good job

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
i dont agree with ur suggestion. even if it doesnt seem so, spe def manaphy is really important for this team, checking a ton of threats which are quite popular, such as gengar and landorus-i, which otherwise can sweep with ease. i cant really see how gyarados would make the team better
anyway i really like the innovation, uturn gliscor and uturn manaphy are a really solid core and its hard to get past them, while toxic excadrill allows u to cripple some common walls who like to switch in on exca, like bulky landot or slowbro, allowing talon to sweep later on. good job
I actually really agree here; Manaphy checking Gengar, Greninja, Stallbreaker Heatran and Stallbreaker Talonflame is really huge, becuase these threats are really hard to handle otherwise. Changing it would probably end up in a major reconstruction of the team structure, which is really good atm, so I would just keep it as it is. The only change i would make it to run 48 Defense EVs, which lets Manaphy avoid the 2HKO from Greninja's Gunk Shot after SR:

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Manaphy: 160-188 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Amazing team :heart:

Hello, first thing I am gonna say is that you have got an amazing team which works so well together and now I would like to give you some advice and some changes I did to your team wondering if you would like it, so here it is:
1.- You said Mega Charizard Y is a treath to your team with its partners so the first thing I tought of using was this set:
Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Roost
It not only takes Mega Charizard Y hits:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame in Sun: 143-168 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 130-154 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 98-116 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 59.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

but can make so many sweeps because it is unexpected (I am gonna show some replays).
2.- Make your Sableye phisycally defensive just because it can now take 1 on 1 Mega Metagross and it can almost handle Mega Charizard X at +1 (which is a huge treath):
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
Then just burn it but obviously dont make any direct switch ins because it is pretty risky
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 265-313 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Then you can just Foul Play +1 0- Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 234-276 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and + the previous recoil it is deaded

And that would help you handle Tyranitar which like you said is often paired with Mega Char Y:
252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 103-123 (33.8 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
EZ tanking am i rite?

3.- This is my last advice and it is making your Manaphy phisycally defensive with Calm Mind using Rest/Rain Dance/Calm Mind/Scald because it becomes a treath to weakened teams and can sweep easily. And it handles too Greninja and the great Mega Metagross:
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 122-146 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%) -- 90.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Those are the best 2 moves it can use against Manaphy
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%) -- 30.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Eating that am i rite?

So thats it, I hope you found my advice useful and to be honest I have won many matches with those sets. By the way, english is not my native language so sorry for all those spelling errors. BITCH!!! (Note: I get pretty salty when hax happens against me (yeah am a douche) so yeah)
Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194826712 Manaphy sweep, I got some hax tho
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194776554 Another Manaphy sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194353794 Talonflame against another stall team sweep too
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194013835 Talonflame sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194011844 Talonflame sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-193963269 Talonflame comeback sweep against a Mega Metagross
So thats it, those are the memorable replays

Hello, first thing I am gonna say is that you have got an amazing team which works so well together and now I would like to give you some advice and some changes I did to your team wondering if you would like it, so here it is:
1.- You said Mega Charizard Y is a treath to your team with its partners so the first thing I tought of using was this set:
Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Roost
It not only takes Mega Charizard Y hits:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame in Sun: 143-168 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 130-154 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 98-116 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 59.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

but can make so many sweeps because it is unexpected (I am gonna show some replays).
2.- Make your Sableye phisycally defensive just because it can now take 1 on 1 Mega Metagross and it can almost handle Mega Charizard X at +1 (which is a huge treath):
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
Then just burn it but obviously dont make any direct switch ins because it is pretty risky
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 265-313 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Then you can just Foul Play +1 0- Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 234-276 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and + the previous recoil it is deaded

And that would help you handle Tyranitar which like you said is often paired with Mega Char Y:
252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 103-123 (33.8 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
EZ tanking am i rite?

3.- This is my last advice and it is making your Manaphy phisycally defensive with Calm Mind using Rest/Rain Dance/Calm Mind/Scald because it becomes a treath to weakened teams and can sweep easily. And it handles too Greninja and the great Mega Metagross:
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 122-146 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%) -- 90.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Those are the best 2 moves it can use against Manaphy
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%) -- 30.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Eating that am i rite?

So thats it, I hope you found my advice useful and to be honest I have won many matches with those sets. By the way, english is not my native language so sorry for all those spelling errors. BITCH!!! (Note: I get pretty salty when hax happens against me (yeah am a douche) so yeah)
Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194826712 Manaphy sweep, I got some hax tho
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194776554 Another Manaphy sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194353794 Talonflame against another stall team sweep too
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194013835 Talonflame sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-194011844 Talonflame sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-193963269 Talonflame comeback sweep against a Mega Metagross
So thats it, those are the memorable replays
are you the real jesse paul
Thanks, I took a look at your suggestions and i'll address them one at at a time.

Talonflame: This was one of the original sets I had in mind for Talonflame, and it's certainly an amazing set for breaking stall. However, this set is sometimes a complete deadweight vs offensive teams that can take advantage of Talonflame's weaknesses quickly and exploit the lack of power behind brave bird without any boosts. Considering this team is already excellent for ruining stall, the pure stallbreaker set redundant. I made Talonflame adamant so that my team at least has some fast offensive answer to opposing offense where i need the most damage possible to revenge kill successfully. Will-o-wisp is also great for neutering physical attackers on opposing offense. Changing talonflame's set to spdef stallbreak would warrant huge changes to the rest of the team.

Sableye: Yeah, changing Sableye's spread to physically defensive would definitely help patch up my weakness to MMeta and Zard X. Problem is, without spdef investment Mega Sableye crumbles to almost any special attacker, especially the ones that Manaphy and Excadrill cannot handle. I'm looking into alternative solutions to dealing with the two hard-hitters you mentioned, but swapping Sableye's defenses would create more holes than i'm patching up. Switching Talonflame to SpDef would mitigate some of the special bulk weakness, but I've relied on Sableye having very few exploitable type weaknesses and thus it really helps my team vs the omnipresent greninja. Manaphy can't reliably handle Greninja on its own because of gunk shot, even though it makes a great pivot.

Manaphy: Something interesting I noticed is how well this set would compliment the two changes above. Since I would be using a dedicated stallbreaker Talonflame, the utility that U-turn offers wouldn't be as essential vs stall teams, and CM was always a viable option to begin with. Besides a few physical attackers, mono-attacking Manaphy doesn't usually pull its weight until it can pull off a late-game sweep which is an issue I have with the set. Since I have no trappers, eliminating the Manaphy revenge killer (most people have one) would be difficult if the opponent plays conservatively. These three changes unfortunately open up a weakness to Slowbro on stall teams as well as any special wallbreaker that can beat Talonflame and Excadrill.

I appreciate that you took the time to change some of the sets to see how I could deal with some of my team's worst enemies, and I'm glad that you've have success with it. I won't know for sure if the changes are better or worse until I try them for myself, which I plan to. In terms of playstyle, I prefer hit&run and wearing down as opposed to setup sweeping, so that influenced how I originally built this team.

I tried Spdef and mixed def RestTalk Gyarados, as well as bulky DD Gyara for a few matches. It gets worn down so easily and waterfall hits like a wet sponge lol

Last edited:
Ehi Branflakes325, I really like the team, probably one of the most consistent ORAS team out there.
Congrats on your peak. I just want to tell you that with a Calm nature on Clefable you will "gain" 4 extra EVs on your spread.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Aromatherapy
- Moonlight

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
cool looking semistall, its rlly nice to see some innovation like fat utility exca, but personally i still run a bit of speed just for the rare yet huge threats like diggersby etc seeing as its a coin toss to switch into without taking 50% w a mon. anyways the team looks solid all around albeit weak to a few rare mons. cm diancie for example is rlly hard for u to deal with since ur clef has no spdef investment and doesnt live 2 hits i would assume. manaphy hits the special spectrum and doesnt do much after a cm or two. mega gyara is another huge threat able to set up on many of ur mons or plain attack to deal huge damage. gunk ninja can do quite a bit of damage to manaphy as well, so idk if manaphy is a great fit here esp since ur running uturn aka imo a useless move due to manaphy needing to heal up from most switchins. imo a spdef gyara patches up these weaknesses because it can take on ninja better, intimidate the diamond storm and kill w a physical move, serves as an intimidate pivot to replace the lack of lando due to u running gliscor to better handle lopunny, gross and such, and because w/o it mega gyara can come in mid late game and clean u out. a bouncer + spinner should alleviate the pressure of having 2 rock weaks. sik squad
the spread is simple enuf just max hp max sdef, probs waterfall over scald to hit diancie. restalk and roar/dtail to round it out but roar is generally more reliable w all these fairies around

Great team, just one suggestion. Bump the speed on gliscor to 16 evs, as with the current spread it gets outsped by 1 and OHKOed by crawdaunt. Just a minor nitpick, but it will probably help you out

CTC
Thanks man! I can't say I've had a problem with Diancie ever since I've started using fat excadrill, since its easily survives a +1 Earth Power if I switch in on CM. Afaik about Diggersby, people usually run max speed on the LO set which makes it really hard to speed creep unless I sacrifice a lot of bulk. In most cases they don't even have Ice Punch so Gliscor still makes a pretty reliable check. Mega Gyara is a pretty big threat tho, especially when it gets a nasty flinch vs Clefable. My clefable spread actually has lots of SpDef but just enough Def to survive a +2 Waterfall from adamant megados. This allows me to reliably revenge Mega Gyarados with Talonflame if Clefable loses 1v1. Doughboy recently suggested a mixed/spdef Gyara for my team in place of Manaphy, and I tried it for a little while. The problems I had with it were:
-waterfall is kinda slow and weak w/o burn chance
-has much worse survivability than manaphy because of lower mixed defenses and susceptibility to being worn down
-no u-turn means less free Talonflame switches and a much harder time against stall :(
-my team loses its only ice resist

It does have roar which has been useful before, but Clefable can usually handle whatever sets up on Gyarados. Anyways the biggest problem I had with Gyarados is that its natural defenses + Intimidate aren't really enough to deal with some of the biggest threats to my team:
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%)
-1 252 Atk Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 139-165 (35.2 - 41.8%)
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%)

I've yet to try a physically defensive set, but idk if its worth it. Bulky gyara sets without DD really don't do much unless Roar is essential to the team's survival.

thenewguy22
Good catch! I'll definitely make that change

Last edited:
Hello, and congrats on the peak! I realize I'm posting this fairly late, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on the team anyway.

One thing I noticed was a weakness to Swords Dance Mega Pinsir. It can get decent switch-in opportunities (Gliscor can't touch it, for example). Once it sets up, it can OHKO everything else on the team at +2 (except Clefable, which it 2HKO's anyway).

Notably, it can outspeed and beat Talonflame 1v1 after only a little bit of prior damage:

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 192 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 255-301 (73.9 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Consequently, I would recommend changing Talonflame's set to allow it to outspeed M-Pinsir:

Talonflame
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 88 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)

• Brave Bird
• Will-O-Wisp
• Taunt
• Roost

This spread loses a bit of attack and a bit of bulk, but it can still attack Pinsir without needing to take a hit beforehand.

252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 246-290 (90.7 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(This OHKO's with any prior damage, even a U-Turn from Gliscor.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)