Battle Maison Discussion & Records

After my previous record of 106, I'm aiming for a new record in Super Singles. I'm at Battle 48 right now and things are going fairly smoothly, but I'd like advice on the team and even a possible replacement.

Ombre Noire (Gengar) (F) @ Gengarite
Timid / Levitate -> Shadow Tag
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Disable
- Shadow Ball

The Black Shadow. It's basically a PerishTrap Gengar, and the strategy is the same as one would in normal battles: generally she uses Perish Song while Mega Evolving first. The AI usually attacks next turn which is when she Protects into Disable. If the opponent might have a dangerous move, she might Protect and Disable first to stay safe. Shadow Ball is for Ghosts immune to Shadow Tag. Overall she does her job pretty well.

Ours Dormant (Snorlax) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant / Thick Fat
IVs: 31/31/31/xx/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Superpower

The Sleeping Bear. When I finally bred this guy with the right IVs, Nature, and Ability, you can imagine I was overjoyed. He often switches in when Ombre Noire switches out, because he has great Special bulk, the opponent will often have their strongest move disabled, and I won't be switching into a Fighting-type move. Once the opponent faints, I select the appropriate move for dealing with the next Pokemon, and he often uses Self-Destruct to KO, leaving the last Pokemon to Perish. If the opponent is a Fighting-type then I switch to Ombre Noire again. Choice Band Self-Destruct on this thing hurts, by the way.

Ame de Neige (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid / Cursed Body
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder Wave

The Snow Spirit. On the final turn of the first Perish Song, if the opponent proves to be a strong physical attacker or has OHKO moves, I switch to her, leaving the next opponent ready for a Destiny Bond. Ice Beam just to deal with occasional Pokemon who are weak to it. I rarely find myself selecting Thunder Wave; usually it's Taunt (if she has full health) and Destiny Bond. Both her and Ours Dormant generally sacrifice themselves to kill opponent #2 and leave the last Pokemon to Perish. However, I'm not satisfied with her performance as much, especially as priority renders Destiny Bond useless and if she is the last Pokemon, she can't easily kill the opponent like Ours Dormant. I'm definitely open to suggestions for replacing her.

So, what do you think? Please leave suggestions and comments!
I love this team; very cool stuff. I haven't used a team like this; Snorlax is a surprising choice, but I can see how it would do its job well.

Regarding Froslass, there's not very much that can do the "fast Destiny Bond" in any way that's all that different. The main option that came to mind for me was Speed Boost Sharpedo. It also learns Taunt and can use Protect to become faster than almost everything. It hits a little harder than Froslass, but its main STABs (Crunch and Waterfall) have fewer BP. It is just as awful against priority, but with its horrendously poor defenses, you can probably just choose Destiny Bond as soon as you send it out if the opponent has a priority move. One nice advantage is that Sharpedo resists Fire and Ice, meaning your opponent is unlikely to use a Fire- or Ice-type move against it. That reduces the risk of dying the burn damage (and thus failing to trigger D-Bond) or freezing.The lack of a Poison resistance means it can die to Sludge Bomb poison, though.

You could choose a third Pokemon that doesn't use the Destiny Bond strategy, opting to try to actually win one-on-one. Good options there include Dragonite, Suicune, Gliscor, and Chansey. Each of them leaves you vulnerable to some threats and not others, though. The advantage of running Chansey is that you can comfortably switch into any physical attack (because the opponent won't use a Fighting-type move) and can dismantle all sorts of opponents. You face a decent risk against triple-Fighting teams, though. But, come to think of it, I'm not sure how many Fighting-types actually have two moves that can hit Gengar. Losing the EQ immunity certainly hurts it in that regard.

Good luck!

I want to try building a trick room team for super rotations but I can't think of any physical physical sweeper. Any ideas?

Without including Megas, Azumarill and Conkeldurr are probably the most reliable and hardest-hitting right out of the gate.

It's unorthodox, but I actually used (and really enjoyed) a Sheer Force Conkeldurr in Rotations, as Life Orbed SF Thunder/Ice Punch hit a nice smidge more than Hammer Arm (even with Iron Fist on the same build) and don't have that little accuracy risk. Mach Punch also wasn't as useful in Rotations, given the way the AI was playing. I teetered back and forth between Poison Jab and Knock Off. Any Psychic too bulky to be killed by 2x elemental punch or neutral Poison Jab also won't be slain by Knock Off (Metagross4 and Bronzong & Co are a similar scenario) so it really came down to the better damage output of PJ despite its bad coverage, or Knock Off's useful effect. Originally it seemed a no-brainer for Knock Off but there were a lot of battles where I could have easily kept momentum by spamming Poison Jab, whereas Knock Off's side effect, while useful, will not sweep anything without a weakness.

Most other physical sweepers I'd hype can't just be thrown out there without knowing what else you want on this team. Who are you planning for your setter and Mega?

I love this team; very cool stuff. I haven't used a team like this; Snorlax is a surprising choice, but I can see how it would do its job well.

Regarding Froslass, there's not very much that can do the "fast Destiny Bond" in any way that's all that different. The main option that came to mind for me was Speed Boost Sharpedo. It also learns Taunt and can use Protect to become faster than almost everything. It hits a little harder than Froslass, but its main STABs (Crunch and Waterfall) have fewer BP. It is just as awful against priority, but with its horrendously poor defenses, you can probably just choose Destiny Bond as soon as you send it out if the opponent has a priority move. One nice advantage is that Sharpedo resists Fire and Ice, meaning your opponent is unlikely to use a Fire- or Ice-type move against it. That reduces the risk of dying the burn damage (and thus failing to trigger D-Bond) or freezing.The lack of a Poison resistance means it can die to Sludge Bomb poison, though.

You could choose a third Pokemon that doesn't use the Destiny Bond strategy, opting to try to actually win one-on-one. Good options there include Dragonite, Suicune, Gliscor, and Chansey. Each of them leaves you vulnerable to some threats and not others, though. The advantage of running Chansey is that you can comfortably switch into any physical attack (because the opponent won't use a Fighting-type move) and can dismantle all sorts of opponents. You face a decent risk against triple-Fighting teams, though. But, come to think of it, I'm not sure how many Fighting-types actually have two moves that can hit Gengar. Losing the EQ immunity certainly hurts it in that regard.

Good luck!
Thanks! I've been trying some new things and you were right - Sharpedo is immensely useful, as it can carry Waterfall/Crunch to hit more threats, and after a turn it hits 241 Speed to outspeed all but three Pokemon. However, I noticed that it was a little risky running TWO pokemon who sacrifice themselves, so I tried a few new Pokemon out and I must say, I quite like them:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly / Unburden
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Now, I don't remember the EVs but its actual stats are max Attack, 130 Speed, 162 HP. This allows it to hit hard, outspeed everyone bar Aero1 after Unburden, and activate Sitrus Berry. Slurpuff goes great with Gengar as it's quite easy to switch in, and Return KOs most things with 100% accuracy; Play Rough is usually only used against Ghosts. It also works great with Pokemon 3:

Zoroark @ Choice Scarf
Adamant / Illusion
- Trick
- Memento
- Pursuit
- U-turn

I also don't remember his EVs, but I believe it's max Attack and it hits 145 Speed before Scarf and 217 after, allowing it to outspeed every single non-Scarfed Pokemon. It's important for Zoroark to be Pokemon 3 as it can't use Illusion here. Instead, it has to lure Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves in as it gives the opponent a Scarf. A few scenarios can happen here.

- If it gets Scarfed on a Fairy-type move, I can switch in Gengar and have it use Disable until it Struggles to death.
- If it gets Scarfed on a Bug- or Fighting-type move, Gengar can just PerishTrap or Shadow Ball the opponent to death.
- On a support move, the AI will almost always switch; here Zoroark either hits with Pursuit or switches out accordingly with U-turn.
- Against a Pokemon who is potentially dangerous with Speed, I go for Memento to weaken it for either Slurpuff or Gengar. (Memento is Zoroark's main advantage over Liepard.)

I'm loving this team so far! It's been really fun to use and is more efficient than doubly sacrificing my Pokemon, but I'm always open to suggestions!

Thanks! I've been trying some new things and you were right - Sharpedo is immensely useful, as it can carry Waterfall/Crunch to hit more threats, and after a turn it hits 241 Speed to outspeed all but three Pokemon. However, I noticed that it was a little risky running TWO pokemon who sacrifice themselves, so I tried a few new Pokemon out and I must say, I quite like them:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly / Unburden
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Now, I don't remember the EVs but its actual stats are max Attack, 130 Speed, 162 HP. This allows it to hit hard, outspeed everyone bar Aero1 after Unburden, and activate Sitrus Berry. Slurpuff goes great with Gengar as it's quite easy to switch in, and Return KOs most things with 100% accuracy; Play Rough is usually only used against Ghosts. It also works great with Pokemon 3:

Zoroark @ Choice Scarf
Adamant / Illusion
- Trick
- Memento
- Pursuit
- U-turn

I also don't remember his EVs, but I believe it's max Attack and it hits 145 Speed before Scarf and 217 after, allowing it to outspeed every single non-Scarfed Pokemon. It's important for Zoroark to be Pokemon 3 as it can't use Illusion here. Instead, it has to lure Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves in as it gives the opponent a Scarf. A few scenarios can happen here.

- If it gets Scarfed on a Fairy-type move, I can switch in Gengar and have it use Disable until it Struggles to death.
- If it gets Scarfed on a Bug- or Fighting-type move, Gengar can just PerishTrap or Shadow Ball the opponent to death.
- On a support move, the AI will almost always switch; here Zoroark either hits with Pursuit or switches out accordingly with U-turn.
- Against a Pokemon who is potentially dangerous with Speed, I go for Memento to weaken it for either Slurpuff or Gengar. (Memento is Zoroark's main advantage over Liepard.)

I'm loving this team so far! It's been really fun to use and is more efficient than doubly sacrificing my Pokemon, but I'm always open to suggestions!
First thing is that this seems really dependent on the 2nd Pokemon never using a neutral attack to finish off Zoroark (and also Zoroark not taking a huge hit or getting statused as it switches in on the last Perish Song turn). I'm not sure where Pursuit's chip damage on a switching Pokemon would come in handy, especially because any Pokemon that would use a non-damaging move on Zoroark in the first place has zero offensive presence and could easily be dealt with by your other two. You could probably replace it with a support move like Fake Tears, Scary Face or Torment. I'm not too sure about U-turn either; while getting the switch advantage would be nice I don't think the AI is predictable enough on when it switches out after being Choice locked, so you wouldn't want to U-Turn into another Thunder Wave or something like that.

Last edited:
First thing is that this seems really dependent on the 2nd Pokemon never using a neutral attack to finish off Zoroark (and also Zoroark not taking a huge hit or getting statused as it switches in on the last Perish Song turn). I'm not sure where Pursuit's chip damage on a switching Pokemon would come in handy, especially because any Pokemon that would use a non-damaging move on Zoroark in the first place has zero offensive presence and could easily be dealt with by your other two. You could probably replace it with a support move like Fake Tears, Scary Face or Torment. I'm not too sure about U-turn either; while getting the switch advantage would be nice I don't think the AI is predictable enough on when it switches out after being Choice locked, so you wouldn't want to U-Turn into another Thunder Wave or something like that.
I was in the process of discovering this as well as I played. I decided to change the team up by making one edit: switching Zoroark and Gengar. Zoroark shown as Gengar lures Ghost, Dark, and Psychic moves while repelling Bug, Fighting, Fairy, and Ground, which is great. Also, an opponent who is Choice locked into using Psychic on disguised Zoroark continues to do so, which is easy damage as I can just Pursuit them all the way to the end, and then potentially Trick back and U-turn away for the kill, preserving the strategy. Using PerishTrap as a backup instead of a main strategy also helps immensely, as things like lead Soundproof Exploud were really hard to work around.

Slurpuff also sets up much more easily in many scenarios. For example, an enemy might be Choice locked into a Dragon-type move from the start instead of in the middle of the match; the opponent switching out gets Slurpuff a free Belly Drum, which is better than taking an attack with Memento factored in. Zoroark also deals with status easily, by the way. No matter what status is used, Zoroark goes for U-turn; Gengar can absorb Burn and Poison easily, but also won't ever take a Thunder Wave because Zoroark will always be slower than the other Pokemon after Paralysis and Choice Scarf. This lets Gengar Disable most of the time and force the opponent to Struggle.

I'll definitely think about changing around some of the moves on the sets, though. Like you said, I see better options over Pursuit, and Memento is also looking kind of meh.

Let me guess: Klefki in Rotations? Congratulations on #1 if that's the case.

I'm going to jump the gun a bit and assume your streak is in Rotations in this post.

I previously posted that copycat streaks should never happen in the first place, and the streak discussed at the time was the first copycat streak that made top 3. That's what I thought, as beating the original creator at the team is going to take a lot of effort - effort that good players would prefer to put into their own teams, and not those copied from someone else.

What ninjachicken1's streak and ninjaethan's one here have in common is that they were both in Super Rotations. KevinAFCA also played a 310-win streak with Klefki - while it didn't top the leaderboard, it is pretty good and the result of these streaks is that among the top 10 streaks in Super Rotations, there are three copycat streaks, with two of them making top 3 and beating prior records using the team.

That is a heck of a lot - 30% of players who made top 10 used an established leaderboard team in their streak. I think the nature of Rotations is a key reason - with the high amount of randomness and ease of play compared to other modes (especially when spamming Substitute), it makes sense that copying established teams works would work better than in any other mode.

I'm a little ass-blasted about losing #1, but as I've said, I didn't play so good in that streak and I did think it was beatable. Even if I've lost #1, having Klefki at the top of the leaderboard is nice.

Now, my guess about the team and mode could be wrong - but I would bet on the mode being Rotations, at the very least.
Actually..
It was the Double one lol
& I decided I'll change my team because it doesn't seem right copying someone's team, & go with Singles (Gengar, Suicune, & Arcanine)
This spreads out the typing xD

I've been a little busy the past few days, but in the interim, I've managed to unlock Super Multi and Super Doubles with the usual Lv. 1 Aron cheese. My neighbors were pretty amused by the trick, but I was wearing my Smogon t-shirt at the time, so I was able to give credit where it was due.

I also managed to lose Super Singles at 60 because...well, mostly because I was an idiot, but I was getting outsped pretty handily. It was my Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Gliscor (I trained one to replace Scizor, to have something to use against status) versus a Scientist with Archeops, Electivire, and Drapion. I forgot to save the Battle Video, but the gist of it was that 'vire got the revenge kill on Kangaskhan (Adamant has been instrumental in letting me get a few sweeps without PuP boosts and just bum rushing WoW users and the like, but I really ought to spring for Jolly) and got the paralyze on Gengar with Thunder Punch. Gliscor managed to stall out Ice Punch's 15 PP and eventually get the KO through the Shuca Berry, but didn't have enough oomph left to stop Drapion from setting up Swords Dance. It was my fault for losing Kanga to Electivire, really. Staying in would have been a fine move if I'd gone Jolly, but I didn't.

I'll come back to Singles later, I think, but I'm aiming to scoop all those trophies first and then see what format I actually like playing. But first, to dig through my boxes and see what I can salvage for Doubles and Triples.

I've been a little busy the past few days, but in the interim, I've managed to unlock Super Multi and Super Doubles with the usual Lv. 1 Aron cheese. My neighbors were pretty amused by the trick, but I was wearing my Smogon t-shirt at the time, so I was able to give credit where it was due.

I also managed to lose Super Singles at 60 because...well, mostly because I was an idiot, but I was getting outsped pretty handily. It was my Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Gliscor (I trained one to replace Scizor, to have something to use against status) versus a Scientist with Archeops, Electivire, and Drapion. I forgot to save the Battle Video, but the gist of it was that 'vire got the revenge kill on Kangaskhan (Adamant has been instrumental in letting me get a few sweeps without PuP boosts and just bum rushing WoW users and the like, but I really ought to spring for Jolly) and got the paralyze on Gengar with Thunder Punch. Gliscor managed to stall out Ice Punch's 15 PP and eventually get the KO through the Shuca Berry, but didn't have enough oomph left to stop Drapion from setting up Swords Dance. It was my fault for losing Kanga to Electivire, really. Staying in would have been a fine move if I'd gone Jolly, but I didn't.

I'll come back to Singles later, I think, but I'm aiming to scoop all those trophies first and then see what format I actually like playing. But first, to dig through my boxes and see what I can salvage for Doubles and Triples.
You could have just used Sucker Punch against Electivire, KO'd it with Gengar, and had a near-guaranteed Destiny Bond against the third opponent. I personally swear by Adamant, because I think the threats that it fails to outspeed by running Adamant instead of Jolly just aren't all that threatening.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been trying to think of stuff to use in my ORAS trophy run teams. Since they don't have to reach leaderboard numbers (just beat the Chatelaines) they don't have to be as serious as the rest of the teams here (although I'll be continuing on past the Chatelaine's to see how far they will go), I'm going for more of a fun feel with these ^_^ (look away turskain)

I've settled on my singles squad (Gengar / Sharpedo / Avalugg) and have some brief ideas for doubles and triples (I know I want to use Mega Pidgeot in Doubles, and maybe Mega Glalie in triples idk yet). The team I'm really focusing on right now is for rotations, it's meant to be a Sand-Room team focusing on Mega Steelix. Here's the very rough draft of what I have so far...

Darude (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock / Power Lens
Ability: Sand Stream
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Ancient Power / Ice Beam / Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

I need something to get the Sand going, so leading with Ttar is obvious (since Sand Stream doesn't activate if it isn't the lead, and using Sandstorm (the move) is silly). I've decided to go special since I'm already breeding a modest one for Battle Spot so changing to Quiet for Trick Room is an easy task. I figured doubling up on physical attackers in my opening 3 wasn't a great idea, but I can use a classic physical build if you guys think it would be better. I figured Smooth Rock would be best to prolong the Sandstorm, but would cutting his speed be a better idea?

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Impish / Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Trick Room
- Sandstorm
- Gravity
- Safeguard / Reflect / Light Screen / Magic Coat / Wonder Room? / attacking move?

Need something to get Trick Room up, and since it's a Sand team I figured I could give this guy some love. Has Sand Storm just incase something tries to change the weather, Gravity can be used to allow M-Lix to just spam Sand Force-boosted Earthquakes at anything that isn't grass and/or bug. I was gonna use this to allow for moves like Stone Edge / Iron Tail on Steelix but I don't want to have to rely on Gravity (+ it wastes a turn of Trick Room). I really don't know what to do with the last slot though...

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy (Sand Force)
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang / Fire Fang / Curse / Rock Slide

The main attraction. Earthquake hits things hard (especially if Gravity is up) and he's super heavy so Heavy Slam outdamages Iron Head against pretty much everything (stuff that's heavy are better targeted by Earthquake anyway). I figured Thunder Fang would be a good move since this team has a massive water weakness. He doesn't really have that many other moves to run really, Ice Fang is good against Dragons and opposing ground types. Fire Fang can hit the grass / bug types that can take an Earthquake (although Heavy Slam is probably superior against those things anyway, so you'd basically just use it against Scizor / Ferro), Curse could be used to make him even stronger, Rock Slide benefits from the Sand Force boost, as well as hitting the flying types that avoid Earthquake (without Gravity, but again, Heavy Slam will be used against pretty much all of them)

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shock Wave / Shadow Ball / Recover

Backup TR setter, deals with fighting types that my leads hate, can hit water types that they also don't like, doesn't take sandstorm damage... I honestly didn't think too hard about this guy, I just thought he was a good fit. I'm really not sure on the last slot, as well as whether to use Energy Ball or Grass Knot, it looks like Grass Knot hits for at least 80BP on most things (lighter foes wouldn't get targeted by Energy Ball anyway).

So yeah, would something like this maybe work?

So I've been trying to think of stuff to use in my ORAS trophy run teams. Since they don't have to reach leaderboard numbers (just beat the Chatelaines) they don't have to be as serious as the rest of the teams here (although I'll be continuing on past the Chatelaine's to see how far they will go), I'm going for more of a fun feel with these ^_^ (look away turskain)

I've settled on my singles squad (Gengar / Sharpedo / Avalugg) and have some brief ideas for doubles and triples (I know I want to use Mega Pidgeot in Doubles, and maybe Mega Glalie in triples idk yet). The team I'm really focusing on right now is for rotations, it's meant to be a Sand-Room team focusing on Mega Steelix. Here's the very rough draft of what I have so far...

Darude (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock / Power Lens
Ability: Sand Stream
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Ancient Power / Ice Beam / Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

I need something to get the Sand going, so leading with Ttar is obvious (since Sand Stream doesn't activate if it isn't the lead, and using Sandstorm (the move) is silly). I've decided to go special since I'm already breeding a modest one for Battle Spot so changing to Quiet for Trick Room is an easy task. I figured doubling up on physical attackers in my opening 3 wasn't a great idea, but I can use a classic physical build if you guys think it would be better. I figured Smooth Rock would be best to prolong the Sandstorm, but would cutting his speed be a better idea?

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Impish / Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Trick Room
- Sandstorm
- Gravity
- Safeguard / Reflect / Light Screen / Magic Coat / Wonder Room? / attacking move?

Need something to get Trick Room up, and since it's a Sand team I figured I could give this guy some love. Has Sand Storm just incase something tries to change the weather, Gravity can be used to allow M-Lix to just spam Sand Force-boosted Earthquakes at anything that isn't grass and/or bug. I was gonna use this to allow for moves like Stone Edge / Iron Tail on Steelix but I don't want to have to rely on Gravity (+ it wastes a turn of Trick Room). I really don't know what to do with the last slot though...

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy (Sand Force)
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang / Fire Fang / Curse / Rock Slide

The main attraction. Earthquake hits things hard (especially if Gravity is up) and he's super heavy so Heavy Slam outdamages Iron Head against pretty much everything (stuff that's heavy are better targeted by Earthquake anyway). I figured Thunder Fang would be a good move since this team has a massive water weakness. He doesn't really have that many other moves to run really, Ice Fang is good against Dragons and opposing ground types. Fire Fang can hit the grass / bug types that can take an Earthquake (although Heavy Slam is probably superior against those things anyway, so you'd basically just use it against Scizor / Ferro), Curse could be used to make him even stronger, Rock Slide benefits from the Sand Force boost, as well as hitting the flying types that avoid Earthquake (without Gravity, but again, Heavy Slam will be used against pretty much all of them)

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shock Wave / Shadow Ball / Recover

Backup TR setter, deals with fighting types that my leads hate, can hit water types that they also don't like, doesn't take sandstorm damage... I honestly didn't think too hard about this guy, I just thought he was a good fit. I'm really not sure on the last slot, as well as whether to use Energy Ball or Grass Knot, it looks like Grass Knot hits for at least 80BP on most things (lighter foes wouldn't get targeted by Energy Ball anyway).

So yeah, would something like this maybe work?
I know you don't want to "rely" on Gravity, but if your Carbink is pretty much guaranteed to have it (at least while theorizing) you have pretty much no reason not to run Focus Blast on Reuniclus. OHKOs a lot of bulky things weak to it with that Life Orb and the coverage alongside its other moves is just excellent. I actually think I'll dump Reflect on my own Carbink for Gravity now, since my pool has no shortage of pokes that like that move. Use Grass Knot instead of Energy Ball, and I prefer Psyshock since it OHKOs most things weak to it regardless and will be more useful against the odd Sylveon or Blissey. I don't like using TR on a squishy sponge like Reuniclus, which demands a ton of SpA investment anyway, personally.

Thunder Fang deals LOL damage to water types while you have STAB Sand Force Earthquake, and is weaker regardless without the spread damage cut, so dump it and don't look back. Use Curse and Fire Fang or Rock Slide. SF Rock Slide won't OHKO Gyarados, but its insane Defense means the AI will prefer spamming Dragon Dance to whittling you down (I find most pokes with a speed boosting move will do this under TR), so you'll be able to safely finish it off.

Of the other non-attacking moves you listed for Carbink, either Reflect or Magic Coat would be best. Whenever I've used Carbink, its natural bulk usually got it targeted by Toxic or Taunt if the user had it. Reflect does Tyranitar and Reuniclus a lot of good. If I had to run an attack I'd use Moonblast for SpA cut hax and just generally good coverage, but the damage will be so bad. At least with Power Gem, there are a handful of 4x weaks you could be left against that Carbink could easily mop up after a really shitty battle.

By the way, if you decide against running Reuniclus, whatever you replace it with should be certain it can easily slaughter Quagsire and Gastrodon. In fact, the latter of those two is one reason you might want to run Energy Ball over Grass Knot (just in case circumstances allow it to use an Amnesia, or Curse and then finish off Steelix, or whatever.)

Last edited:
Lost my super singles streak at 954 because I got haxed by the worst possible lead, Mismagius. YDCG-WWWW-WWXA-TAT2

Team is the same as usual except Sableye has the ORAS tutor move Gravity instead of Embargo. It's what I initially theorymonned way back when, but I didn't have access to a Prankster Sableye in 5th gen for the tutors there. Gravity serves the same function as Embargo (nullify Bright Powder/Lax Incense when I don't want to give up Focus Sash) but doesn't miss. It also gives Durant more of a safety net against Protect leads as Sableye can use Flash followed by Taunt, and if Sableye is still alive at 1 HP it can use Gravity to ensure that it's KOed so Durant can come out before Taunt runs out. That kinda gives the best of both worlds where Glalie can set up against a -1 Accuracy opponent and Durant doesn't have to worry about something pulling the Protect-attack-Protect-crit routine that prevents Entrainment.

So yeah, a lead Perish Song user can really mess with a Durant-based team (unless you never see one for 1400 battles lol). Sableye dominates Lapras wonderfully; not only can Lapras neither trap nor damage it, but Sableye can continually Taunt it until all 15 of its Body Slam PP are wasted (whereas Whimsicott is hoping to not get parahax from Body Slam). Then, when I finally allow Lapras to use Perish Song I can switch to Durant on the last turn and either use Entrainment on the 2nd Pokemon or switch to a fully healthy Sableye if the Entrainment isn't guaranteed. Once Glalie sets up and takes out the Truant opponent, it just needs to use Taunt on Lapras to make it Struggle, saving a bunch of Frost Breath PP in the process.

Mismagius is a dicier proposition, but what has allowed me to be successful against it has been using Flash with Sableye until Mismagius brings it to 1 HP with Power Gem and then switching to Glalie. Power Gem does a little under 50% on the switch, but the key is that Glalie's faster and Mismagius is not particularly keen on attacking every turn. Once Glalie gets a free Sub up, which can happen if Mismagius uses one of its other 3 moves or misses with a reduced-accuracy Power Gem, it's just a matter of Sub-Protect stalling until Mismagius uses Perish Song so I can switch Glalie out for Sableye and 'reset' the battle against a less terrible lead. I've even had battles where Glalie just went on an early Frost Breath rampage and finished the battle within 10-15 turns because Mismagius wasn't using Perish Song soon enough. So what went wrong this time?

Turn 1: Sableye used Flash as Mismagius hit with Power Gem
Turn 2: Switched to Glalie as Mismagius hit again with Power Gem; Glalie's speed dropped. This is basically what lost me the battle, as Mismagius is now free to use Mean Look or Power Gem on me before I get a Sub up. However, the possibility of crappy Moody luck is why I keep Sableye alive at 1 HP in this situation to give Glalie one reset on its boosts.
Turn 3: Switched back to Sableye as Mismagius used Protect. Just goes to show how easy the battle would've gone if anything but the Speed dropped the turn before.
Turn 4: I probably should've used Flash here instead of Trick, but I missed Trick thanks to Bright Powder. Mismagius misses with Power Gem
Turn 5: I probably should've used Flash here instead of Trick, but Bright Powder makes that decision irrelevant again. Mismagius KOs Sableye with Power Gem.
Turn 6: Glalie uses Sub, Mismagius hits with Power Gem
Turn 7: Glalie uses Protect, Mismagius uses Power Gem. I don't care as much about getting Mean Looked at this point because Mismagius is probably gonna try to KO.
Turn 8: Glalie uses Sub, Mismagius breaks the Sub with Power Gem
Turn 9: Glalie uses Protect, Mismagius uses Power Gem. After this turn, my evasiveness fell (making -1 Accuracy Power Gem a guaranteed hit, and I hadn't gotten a Special Defense boost that would've allowed the Sub to survive Power Gem) and I only had health for one more Sub, so I figured my chances would be better if I sacrificed Durant and tried setting up Glalie against a different Pokemon, especially since Psychics such as Uberto have plenty of slow Pokemon that will give Glalie a free Sub through non-attacking moves.
Turn 10: Switch to Durant, Power Gem hits. If I can get Entrainment off on Mismagius, I can go for at least some set-up with Glalie, but I don't want to risk using Taunt against Bright Powder too many times.
Turn 11: Mismagius uses Protect against Entrainment, so Durant's gonna get trapped.
Turn 12: Mismagius double Protects, so maybe not.
Turn 13: Mismagius Mean Looks, so yeah. Any other move there would have been great.
Turn 20: Durant's Perish Trapped and Mismagius switched out for Starmie. Crap.
Turn 21: Glalie Protects and gets a Special Defense boost. This is really cruel because Glalie's 44 HP Sub would have a 75% chance of surviving any attack from Starmie at this point, but at 75 HP it's a bit too low to put up a Sub after the next attack. Need to go for a double Protect and not get King's Rocked.
Turn 22: Protect fails, so I can survive a couple more turns barring a crit but without an Evasion boost or my Special Defense going to +6 or something it's officially over.
Turns 23-26: No good boosts.

tl;dr Glalie can neutralize lead Mismagius unless Mismagius uses Power Gem every turn (very unlikely to the point that I've gone thousands of battles without ever seeing it happen) and hits each time despite reduced accuracy (less unlikely).

Yeah, so that was a lot of work to literally move up 0 spots on the leaderboard and still end up behind teams much less resistant to hax. Would have been nice if Battle #831 (GN7G-WWWW-WWXA-TPMZ), #879 (HA7G-WWWW-WWXA-TPPV), and #899 (C2DG-WWWW-WWXA-TPZL) had filled my recent quota of Mismagius encounters for the next 50 or so battles. 831 is especially nice as it's a lead Lapras that switches into Mismagius! I think even VaporeonIce would have to throw his hands up in that situation. That one doesn't get exciting until turn 26, so feel free to skip around.

Last edited:
GG Unit, that is an INSANE streak with that kind of team. Well done! The sheer patience to keep going after losing to Moody crap is astounding to me (and this is coming from someone who's played over 4000 battles with one fairly slow team).

I see Durant teams, particularly mono-sweeper ones, as being more hax-resistant, but also much more "breakable." In the average battle, the mono-sweeper team probably has fewer things that can hax its way to a loss than your average goodstuffs team. But when things go wrong, the number of things that can cause problems skyrockets, because "everything boosters" (i.e. Acupressure or Moody users) generally have a much smaller pool of opponents they can beat without substantial support. Suicune and Garchomp are going to be a lot better against your average one or two Pokemon than Drapion and Glalie are. I found Moody to be particularly frustrating, because it takes the situation entirely out of your hands.

Even with a streak as long as mine, I still get nervous when little things might go wrong. Virizion 1 leads scare me, because what if it Taunts me after I run out of Protect PP and I don't have enough Attack boosts to take out the Terrakion that might come next? Or Heatran 1 messes me up with Flame Body? Obviously, your team, my team, and any good team has a strategy for what to do against dangerous opponents, and that strategy will usually work. But sometimes things will go wrong, and how fragile Durant mono-sweeper teams are becomes wildly apparent in those situations. In my mind, Moody amplifies that fragility, which is why I "broke up with it." Kudos to you for sticking with it; sorry the loss had to come so close to 1000.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
cant say, for a Mega Pidgeot set-up I've considered Pidgeot/Raichu/Greninja in Triples (a worse variant of The Dutch Plumberjack's Talonflame/Manectric/Greninja, basically). Pidgeot/Greninja sounds trophy-worthy for Doubles (if not very good) - or Pidgeot/Raichu for the novelty of using Raichu.

For a Sand Room Rotations squad, stacking a Water weakness with all of Carbink, Tyranitar and Steelix sounds like a bad idea. Aromatisse could be a better fit for the setter, and it can also pass Wish. A Pokémon that can function outside TR has worked best as the 4th on Rotations teams utilizing TR - a secondary setter sounds redundant if TR is up when it comes in, and inefficient if it has gone down and the TR-abusing team members haven't won the battle yet (and probably aren't going to win it even if they get another go at TR as a result).

GG Unit, that hax was ridiculous. Bad Moody luck doesn't seem unreasonable, but the double BrightPowder miss with Sableye that followed was something else.

Even if you didn't climb on the leaderboard, the improvement over the previous Glalie streaks is pretty large. Maintaining your sanity for that many runs with Moody is insane. Also insane is the fact that getting a streak of 954 doesn't get you into the top 5 - which seems ridiculous given only a bit over half a year ago the #1 record was 658.

I'm up to my 36th consecutive Double (or was it 37th, can't quite remember), so I'm only 3 or 4 battles away from the Chatelaine, but I have had many close calls, and have noticed that Fighting, Rock, and Ground types are the bane of my team. So I'm posting my team here, and am leaving myself open to substitutions or switching to different team strategies, rather than soldiering on at this point, and probably inevitably loose to a hax, speaking of which, Confusion hax are the worst.

Meet the Medical Officer:
Nurse Joe (Audino) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator>Healer
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP; 6 Defense; 252 Special Defense
Moves:
Skill Swap
Heal Pulse
Heal Bell
Wish

The main purpose of Nurse Joe is to Skill Swap to Slaking, Mega Evolve to get rid of Truant, and keep Slaking healthy while he clobbers the opposing team. I did have Dazzling Gleam, but status conditions were becoming annoying, and I needed to also keep Nurse Joe healthy to keep Slaking healthy, so I had to get rid of that for Heal Bell, as much as I hated to. Fortunately, I haven't been taunted yet. Unfortunately, I've found Poison and Steel types can make his job impossible, forcing me to switch out unless Slaking can kill them on turn 1.

Meet the Team Muscle:
Slaking Leftovers
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 6 HP; 252 Attack; 252 Speed
Moves:
Return
Fire Punch
Shadow Punch
Slack Off

The essential muscle behind this whole excursion, his purpose is simple: to clobber the stuffing out of the opposition. And he does this very well to most opponents in 1-2 hits to all but the bulkiest of opponents, and he can usually take 1 or 2 hits before needing to heal. In order to deal with pesky Steel types, which were also a bane of my existence, I had to get rid of Yawn, but I stopped using it after the 5th battle anyways. Shadow Punch is effective against Ghost types, and Slack Off is there for when Slaking needs to heal fast, or when I had to retreat Nurse Joe, because Mega Audino is many things, but unfortunately, fast isn't one of them.

Meet the Tactical Officer:
My Pet Sword (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP; 6 Attack; 252 Special Attack
Moves:
King's Shield
Flash Cannon
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak

The special attacker of the team, My Pet Sword has proved to be very good for switching into Poison type moves aimed at Nurse Joe or Fighting type moves aimed at Slaking, and striking back with powerful STAB moves. He's even caught physical attacks with King's Shield, and kept things balanced in my favor. I think that with his coverage, My Pet Sword will be very difficult to replace. I don't think I would have gotten as far as I have without him.

Meet the Reinforcer:
Tough Mu(c)k (Muk) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
Nature: Adamant
EVs: I have no idea. A lot in HP, and some in everything else but Special Attack.
Moves:
Stockpile
Rest
Gunk Shot
Shadow Sneak

My one-girl-reinforcements and calvary, Tough Muk's purpose is to clean up whatever manages to outlast and/or take out Nurse Joe, Slaking, and My Pet Sword, and with a partner, is very good at stalling out any Pokemon that isn't a Poison or Steel type with Stockpile and then Poison from Gunk Shit, and if things get bad enough, use rest to heal off moderate-severe damage. She may be slow, but once she has set up, she is also nigh impossibly hard to take down (as those who have had to deal with Muks in the Battle Maison have found out, and gave me this move set idea in the first place). As long as she and My Pet Sword are in reserve, I've found that opponents who hope to take me down with Poison are unsuccessful. Unfortunately, these two also leave me open to Sand teams specialists, and I've had close calls. Nonetheless, Tough Muk will be hard to replace, as she has won me a few close battles.

I'm open to suggestions, including and especially new team members, which I'll get to breeding (or catching in the case of Legendaries) once I'm done with my current breeding session. Yeah, it seems that I like to use bulky Pokemon, and the four above have done that well for the past 30 odd battles.

VaporeonIce turskain more aggravating than the Moody luck is that the one time I didn't keep Glalie in, Mismagius used Protect, and all other turns it used (and hit) with Power Gem. The one time I was anticipating it being "smart," it made a dumb move, and then it made the "right" move every turn thereafter when one "dumb" move was all I needed. I also enjoy that the only real reason this Mismagius would have Power Gem instead of Shadow Ball is to make it deliberately worse to not make novice players rage too much ("OMG this thing is unbeatable it either Perish Traps me or survives a hit and KOs my Aegislash/Gengar with Shadow Ball"), and Glalie just happens to be something Power Gem hits harder than STAB Shadow Ball. If Glalie had an extra 10 HP remaining, it would have had a really good chance of coming out on top against the Starmie.

I've had a few turn 1 speed drops before that were no problem after switching back to Sableye. Bottom line is that bad luck involving one or both of the Perish Song leads will doom any set-up based team, and hell, if Mismagius is dodging 2 of 3 100% accurate attacks with Bright Powder it will be be enough to doom plenty of other streaks. With Whimsicott-Durant-Drapion, I'm not sure what you would do if you sacrificed Whimsicott to a lead Lapras and the 2nd Pokemon was Mismagius or some other bad matchup like a Toxic/Flame Orb Pokemon that wouldn't allow a full set-up for Drapion.

The closest Glalie had come to taking on anything 1 on 1 this streak was against a lead Gothitelle. It dodged Sableye's Taunt and hit it with Flatter. I knew Psych Up was coming so I switched to Durant. It then dodged Entrainment and set up a Sub. It had Shadow Tag so it got to KO Durant and get +1 Sp. Atk in the process. That was no problem because I knew Gothitelle would try to Flatter Glalie its first turn out, so I got a free Sub and was able to drain most of its Psychic PP before I got to ~50 HP and Moody "blessed" me with second Speed drop (with no boost) to allow Gothitelle to outspeed the next turn, but I was able to switch to Sableye on Psychic and get rid of the rest of them that way. The next closest is when lead Skuntank KOs the first two and explodes on the first or second chance it gets against Glalie; I'd be screwed if the next thing out were Infiltrator Chandelure or Clawitzer, but I've beaten seemingly difficult stuff like Charizard and Arcanine in these scenarios without relying on immediate Evasion-induced misses.

But back to Mismagius - just one of those things where 20 subsequent mock battles have all been successful (including some where Mismagius hastens its departure by using Perish Song against Sableye and one where Glalie took a crit on the switch) and I certainly encountered it as a lead more frequently than would be considered normal.

Last edited:

turskain

The closest Glalie had come to taking on anything 1 on 1 this streak was against a lead Gothitelle. It dodged Sableye's Taunt and hit it with Flatter. I knew Psych Up was coming so I switched to Durant. It then dodged Entrainment and set up a Sub. It had Shadow Tag so it got to KO Durant and get +1 Sp. Atk in the process. That was no problem because I knew Gothitelle would try to Flatter Glalie its first turn out, so I got a free Sub and was able to drain most of its Psychic PP before I got to ~50 HP and Moody "blessed" me with second Speed drop (with no boost) to allow Gothitelle to outspeed the next turn, but I was able to switch to Sableye on Psychic and get rid of the rest of them that way. The next closest is when lead Skuntank KOs the first two and explodes on the first or second chance it gets against Glalie; I'd be screwed if the next thing out were Infiltrator Chandelure or Clawitzer, but I've beaten seemingly difficult stuff like Charizard and Arcanine in these scenarios without relying on immediate Evasion-induced misses.
If Gothitelle had Shadow Tag, how were you able to switch out Glalie after Durant had been trapped by it already?

If Gothitelle had Shadow Tag, how were you able to switch out Glalie after Durant had been trapped by it already?
Oops I'm getting two bad Gothitelle times mixed up. In this streak, Gothitelle used Sub on turn 2 rather than Psych Up and I didn't even try switching Durant out because I didn't want to risk a crit Psychic on Glalie. I tried attacking with X-Scissor, and without remembering the exact sequence of moves Gothitelle used it ended up KOing Durant while being at 50% health behind a Sub (I know at least one X Scissor missed and Durant was 2HKOed by Psychic due to a Sp. Def drop). In that one, Gothitelle didn't have Shadow Tag. After that battle, I realized that I could probably have just kept Sableye in and kept trying to Taunt and waste Psychic PP because it wouldn't have actually been KOed until it hit itself in confusion 5 or 6 times.

The other time something similar happened and Gothi did have STag, I didn't have Speed drop down to -2 so there was no issue stalling it out of Psychics.

Last edited:

turskain

An interesting note on how Shadow Tag and Magnet Pull work with regards to Triples positioning: when the user of the trapping ability is in the side position, the diagonally opposite Pokémon (across the field) is not prevented from switching out - or in other words, these abilities only affect Pokémon that are adjacent to the ability's user. I encountered this once with Shadow Tag Gothitelle on the right-side allowing Lucario (which I checked for the ability with) to switch out while trapping Rotom-W and Greninja. I also just now tested it in a battle video with Magnet Pull Magnezone in the right-side position, where it did not trap Lucario which was diagonally opposite to it, but did trap Scizor after I switched it in. After Shifting Scizor out of the center to the right-side position, it was able to switch out.

I'm up to my 36th consecutive Double (or was it 37th, can't quite remember), so I'm only 3 or 4 battles away from the Chatelaine, but I have had many close calls, and have noticed that Fighting, Rock, and Ground types are the bane of my team. So I'm posting my team here, and am leaving myself open to substitutions or switching to different team strategies, rather than soldiering on at this point, and probably inevitably loose to a hax, speaking of which, Confusion hax are the worst.

Meet the Medical Officer:
Nurse Joe (Audino) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator>Healer
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP; 6 Defense; 252 Special Defense
Moves:
Skill Swap
Heal Pulse
Heal Bell
Wish

The main purpose of Nurse Joe is to Skill Swap to Slaking, Mega Evolve to get rid of Truant, and keep Slaking healthy while he clobbers the opposing team. I did have Dazzling Gleam, but status conditions were becoming annoying, and I needed to also keep Nurse Joe healthy to keep Slaking healthy, so I had to get rid of that for Heal Bell, as much as I hated to. Fortunately, I haven't been taunted yet. Unfortunately, I've found Poison and Steel types can make his job impossible, forcing me to switch out unless Slaking can kill them on turn 1.

Meet the Team Muscle:
Slaking Leftovers
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 6 HP; 252 Attack; 252 Speed
Moves:
Return
Fire Punch
Shadow Punch
Slack Off

The essential muscle behind this whole excursion, his purpose is simple: to clobber the stuffing out of the opposition. And he does this very well to most opponents in 1-2 hits to all but the bulkiest of opponents, and he can usually take 1 or 2 hits before needing to heal. In order to deal with pesky Steel types, which were also a bane of my existence, I had to get rid of Yawn, but I stopped using it after the 5th battle anyways. Shadow Punch is effective against Ghost types, and Slack Off is there for when Slaking needs to heal fast, or when I had to retreat Nurse Joe, because Mega Audino is many things, but unfortunately, fast isn't one of them.

Meet the Tactical Officer:
My Pet Sword (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP; 6 Attack; 252 Special Attack
Moves:
King's Shield
Flash Cannon
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak

The special attacker of the team, My Pet Sword has proved to be very good for switching into Poison type moves aimed at Nurse Joe or Fighting type moves aimed at Slaking, and striking back with powerful STAB moves. He's even caught physical attacks with King's Shield, and kept things balanced in my favor. I think that with his coverage, My Pet Sword will be very difficult to replace. I don't think I would have gotten as far as I have without him.

Meet the Reinforcer:
Tough Mu(c)k (Muk) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
Nature: Adamant
EVs: I have no idea. A lot in HP, and some in everything else but Special Attack.
Moves:
Stockpile
Rest
Gunk Shot
Shadow Sneak

My one-girl-reinforcements and calvary, Tough Muk's purpose is to clean up whatever manages to outlast and/or take out Nurse Joe, Slaking, and My Pet Sword, and with a partner, is very good at stalling out any Pokemon that isn't a Poison or Steel type with Stockpile and then Poison from Gunk Shit, and if things get bad enough, use rest to heal off moderate-severe damage. She may be slow, but once she has set up, she is also nigh impossibly hard to take down (as those who have had to deal with Muks in the Battle Maison have found out, and gave me this move set idea in the first place). As long as she and My Pet Sword are in reserve, I've found that opponents who hope to take me down with Poison are unsuccessful. Unfortunately, these two also leave me open to Sand teams specialists, and I've had close calls. Nonetheless, Tough Muk will be hard to replace, as she has won me a few close battles.

I'm open to suggestions, including and especially new team members, which I'll get to breeding (or catching in the case of Legendaries) once I'm done with my current breeding session. Yeah, it seems that I like to use bulky Pokemon, and the four above have done that well for the past 30 odd battles.
I have run a similar team (using Regigigas instead of Slaking, with Drain Punch instead of Slack Off, and Knock Off instead of Shadow Punch) and while it cleared the Chatelaine battle (which is battle 50, not 40, by the way) without a whole lot of trouble, I found that it's a team where there are a lot of things that can go wrong:
* Audino can be taunted. Requires double-switch, which is borderline disastrous for a first-turn scenario.
* The opposing leads can double-pummel Slaking. This is less common (because the front-line really likes to double-pummel Audino, but it can still happen), but it's even worse for the team because it only ever happens when Slaking fails to knock someone out with his opening turn. So you're down 1 team member and one of your guys on the field has no attacks and no specific synergy with his partner. (This is most frequent when one opposing leads resists every move Slaking has, and the other lead happens to have Sturdy. Common culprits for your team: Tyranitar, Garchomp, Tyrantrum, Armaldo, Sawk, Donphan. All of those are found on similar teams, so you're likely to run up against this with a certain amount of frequency.)
* Explosion leads. Not as debilitating as the two scenarios above, but it still produces a bad situation for you on turn 2. Often compounded by its partner using Protect. (Although not always because the AI is stupid.)
* Phazing. It's really hard to maintain momentum when either Slaking or Audino gets phazed out. (Slaking because he becomes much more susceptible to burns when Audi's not on the field, and Audi because he's basically only there to be a damage enabler for Slaking.) This is made ever so slightly more palatable by the fact that you're using Mega Audino, who is immune to Dragon Tail, but the issue still stands that a Skarmory who decides to phaze Slaking on turn 1 will often land you in a less than favorable position.
* (Specific to the moves you've chosen) - Gunk Shot is horrible in the Maison. A 20% chance to miss is a 4% chance to miss twice in a row. Over the course of 100 battles, that's not unlikely, it's inevitable. Poison Jab is perfectly serviceable, even if it deals less damage, or you can opt for Toxic to break things that would otherwise try to wall you. If you don't opt for Toxic, I would drop Rest in favor of Pain Split. Rest can often be a liability in Doubles, especially on a mon who's boosting defenses alongside a partner who is not - all Rest does is take you out of the fight for a second and signal that now would be a great time to gang up on the other guy on your side of the field. (There is serious negative synergy between Pain Split and Toxic, so if you go for Toxic, Rest would serve you better.) Drop Shadow Sneak either way; priority on a mon who's boosting defenses does not help - it's crazy weak, and you shouldn't care whether you take one more hit if you're sitting at +3 Defense. Acid Spray isn't terrible in Doubles, although that leaves you with absolutely no way to deal with Steel types at all. Thunder Punch is alright, as is Ice Punch, but both of them have issues. (Thunder Punch leaves Muk kind of useless against Ground types, while Ice Punch leaves it unhappy against Steels.)

(Honestly, I would drop Muk for Slowbro, who can come in on many of the same types of threats as Muk but has more reliable recovery and threatens the Rock-types and Fighting-types that cause issues for your front line, but if you like Muk, then I encourage you to stick with it for a bit longer and see if it is doing what you want it to.)

Edit: As far as EVs for Muk go, I would invest entirely in Defense/Sp. Defense, Careful nature. That maximizes your bulk after three Stockpiles, and it still results in pretty good bulk even at 0 Stockpiles. I can't think of any serious threats to your team for which the proper response is going to be to switch to Muk and try for a 2HKO or better, and honestly anything that takes longer than that to deal with is a volatile enough situation in Doubles that you shouldn't be relying on a 4HKO or something in the first place.

Last edited:
I have run a similar team (using Regigigas instead of Slaking, with Drain Punch instead of Slack Off, and Knock Off instead of Shadow Punch) and while it cleared the Chatelaine battle (which is battle 50, not 40, by the way) without a whole lot of trouble, I found that it's a team where there are a lot of things that can go wrong:
* Audino can be taunted. Requires double-switch, which is borderline disastrous for a first-turn scenario.
* The opposing leads can double-pummel Slaking. This is less common (because the front-line really likes to double-pummel Audino, but it can still happen), but it's even worse for the team because it only ever happens when Slaking fails to knock someone out with his opening turn. So you're down 1 team member and one of your guys on the field has no attacks and no specific synergy with his partner. (This is most frequent when one opposing leads resists every move Slaking has, and the other lead happens to have Sturdy. Common culprits for your team: Tyranitar, Garchomp, Tyrantrum, Armaldo, Sawk, Donphan. All of those are found on similar teams, so you're likely to run up against this with a certain amount of frequency.)
* Explosion leads. Not as debilitating as the two scenarios above, but it still produces a bad situation for you on turn 2. Often compounded by its partner using Protect. (Although not always because the AI is stupid.)
* Phazing. It's really hard to maintain momentum when either Slaking or Audino gets phazed out. (Slaking because he becomes much more susceptible to burns when Audi's not on the field, and Audi because he's basically only there to be a damage enabler for Slaking.) This is made ever so slightly more palatable by the fact that you're using Mega Audino, who is immune to Dragon Tail, but the issue still stands that a Skarmory who decides to phaze Slaking on turn 1 will often land you in a less than favorable position.
* (Specific to the moves you've chosen) - Gunk Shot is horrible in the Maison. A 20% chance to miss is a 4% chance to miss twice in a row. Over the course of 100 battles, that's not unlikely, it's inevitable. Poison Jab is perfectly serviceable, even if it deals less damage, or you can opt for Toxic to break things that would otherwise try to wall you. If you don't opt for Toxic, I would drop Rest in favor of Pain Split. Rest can often be a liability in Doubles, especially on a mon who's boosting defenses alongside a partner who is not - all Rest does is take you out of the fight for a second and signal that now would be a great time to gang up on the other guy on your side of the field. (There is serious negative synergy between Pain Split and Toxic, so if you go for Toxic, Rest would serve you better.) Drop Shadow Sneak either way; priority on a mon who's boosting defenses does not help - it's crazy weak, and you shouldn't care whether you take one more hit if you're sitting at +3 Defense. Acid Spray isn't terrible in Doubles, although that leaves you with absolutely no way to deal with Steel types at all. Thunder Punch is alright, as is Ice Punch, but both of them have issues. (Thunder Punch leaves Muk kind of useless against Ground types, while Ice Punch leaves it unhappy against Steels.)

(Honestly, I would drop Muk for Slowbro, who can come in on many of the same types of threats as Muk but has more reliable recovery and threatens the Rock-types and Fighting-types that cause issues for your front line, but if you like Muk, then I encourage you to stick with it for a bit longer and see if it is doing what you want it to.)

Edit: As far as EVs for Muk go, I would invest entirely in Defense/Sp. Defense, Careful nature. That maximizes your bulk after three Stockpiles, and it still results in pretty good bulk even at 0 Stockpiles. I can't think of any serious threats to your team for which the proper response is going to be to switch to Muk and try for a 2HKO or better, and honestly anything that takes longer than that to deal with is a volatile enough situation in Doubles that you shouldn't be relying on a 4HKO or something in the first place.
Okay, I'll be sure to try a Slowbro set in Muk's place, as well as a Careful Muk set. Thanks for the advice! And yeah, Rock types like Tyrantrum and Tyranitar have been a pain, but they sure didn't like a Flash Cannon from My Pet Sword!

I'm probably going to keep Shadow Sneak for quick kills (it has come in handy on occasion), and leave out Toxic for that. Besides, if I keep on spamming Poison Jab, the opponent's luck is bound to run out sooner or later, right?

We'll see what the other experts suggest, which I'm expecting more of, but at least I have some ideas to work with in the mean time to keep me occupied.

... And yeah, Rock types like Tyrantrum and Tyranitar have been a pain, but they sure didn't like a Flash Cannon from My Pet Sword! ...
You most likely haven't started running into set 4 Pokemon yet, but Tyranitar4 is all kinds of bad news for just about everyone on your team, Aegislash included.

252+ Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 174-206 (82.8 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Slaking: 154-182 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 68-80 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Muk: 90-108 (49.7 - 59.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Black Sludge recovery

All of those put their target in range of a KO from Tyranitar's teammate. More importantly, Flash Cannon is far and away the best attack your team has against Tyranitar, and it still only does 55-64.7% to him. If you lose Aegislash to something before Tyranitar comes out, you are seriously up a creek without a paddle.

Just something to keep in mind - don't sacrifice Aegislash without good cause!

Reactions: JES
After many attempts, I managed to win all the trophies. I would like to send my current streak in the Super Double (I am currently in 145 Win Streak, I'm trying to get to 200 w: D).

What should I do to enter the top24?

I send the replay? Disclose my team?

turskain

Oops I'm getting two bad Gothitelle times mixed up. In this streak, Gothitelle used Sub on turn 2 rather than Psych Up and I didn't even try switching Durant out because I didn't want to risk a crit Psychic on Glalie. I tried attacking with X-Scissor, and without remembering the exact sequence of moves Gothitelle used it ended up KOing Durant while being at 50% health behind a Sub (I know at least one X Scissor missed and Durant was 2HKOed by Psychic due to a Sp. Def drop). In that one, Gothitelle didn't have Shadow Tag. After that battle, I realized that I could probably have just kept Sableye in and kept trying to Taunt and waste Psychic PP because it wouldn't have actually been KOed until it hit itself in confusion 5 or 6 times.

The other time something similar happened and Gothi did have STag, I didn't have Speed drop down to -2 so there was no issue stalling it out of Psychics.
How about increasing Sableye's level? Since Sableye is not using Endeavor and has no need to maximize the move's damage output, it could be level 5-10 and still get massively KO'd by anything. At level 7 with a Bold nature, 252HP/252Def, and an Attack IV of 0:

0- Atk Sableye Return (40BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 2-3 (6.6 - 10%) -- Lv7 has 30 HP
0- Atk Sableye Return (40BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 2-3 (16.6 - 25%) -- Lv1 has 12 HP

Both calcs have a 1/16 chance to roll 3 damage, so Lv1 Sableye will get KO'd in 6 confusion hits, while Lv7 Sableye would survive 15. Lv7 (which seems like the sweet point for minimizing confusion self-hit damage) has 30/24/18 defensive stats - it should still die to anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)