The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I think about the Pats and recent NFL history, and I still cannot believe that the Giants denied them TWICE in the Super Bowl, once with a perfect record on the line... it's just so insane and illogical and unlikely when you think about it... if someone had told you this would all happen after they upset the Greatest Show on Turf in 2002... and of all franchises to cockblock Brady and Belichick from a perfect 6/6 in the Super Bowl... just imagine the alternative universe where the Pats go 19-0 in 2007 and win the rematch as well... how different would this conversation be? Wouldn't we be talking about how there will never be a QB or coach like Brady or Belichick ever again? How they are the absolute pinnacle of NFL success and will never be replicated ever again? Forget Brady v Manning.

Thank you Giants. Thank you Eli Manning. Thank you Tom Coughlin. 31 fanbases will always be eternally grateful.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
While everyone talks about the Patriots potentially being 6-0 in the Super Bowl if it weren't for Eli Manning, nobody talks about how they could easily be 1-5 if it weren't for Adam Vinatieri. Every one of the Patriots Super Bowls was a one-possession game, often decided by 3 points or fewer. When games are that close, they're basically crapshoots and 4-2 is reasonable record when you play 6 close games. Just imagine the alternate universe where the Pats don't have Vinatieri and last year's Super Bowl was about Brady getting the monkey off his back to finally win the big one.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
In both the Rams and panthers games vinitieri's kicks only made the Patriots win without going into overtime... As dramatic as they were it wasn't as if the Patriots needed the fgs to avoid losing.

I have to deal with the same kind of crap being a Steelers fan. My quarterback was a well documented douchebag who may or may not have sexually assaulted multiple women up until what, 2 years ago? It doesn't matter how much time passes, I'm always going to have to hear about it.
The problem is that Tom Brady is still more hated than he is, people even hate him more than convicted Dog killer Mike vick.

There's no reason for people to not like Tom Brady other than the fact that he wins games.

Well ,in the defense of my fellow Patriots haters, we hate the fanbase more than the actual team. Yes, I hate the Patriots and the fanbase but the fanbase drives me insane. They're just so damn cocky. Patriots fans don't care about their team's questionable integrity. They're just "WINWINWINWIN BITCH!" and they don't care. Literally every win they have they get a "sugar rush" type feeling and say they're invincible. Even Buffalo knows that's not true. Despite how much I hate New England, I won't belittle the Patriots at all. They've consistently been one if not the best team in the league for the past 15 years due mostly to Brady.

But you posted this just last week....

Yet another God awful way to end the season. When I saw Brady celebrating I just wanted to middle finger him. Egotistical asshole

How is Tom Brady and egotistical asshole?

How is Tom Brady an egotistical asshole?
Well tbh I disagree with what I originally said now. I still hate Brady but like I said it's the fanbase that pisses me off. They are the egotistical assholes in this scenario. I probably sound like a broken record by this point but their arrogance is really frustrating. The "They hate us cause they ain't us!" attitude needs to die.
Also, Blount makes me lol. If anything he's the "bitch mode" not Marshawn Lynch

Boo hoo everybody hates tom brady! Woe is me! It's him against the world!

Meanwhile Romo(the most hated player in sports) keeps a shitty team relevant and all he gets is hatred even from his teams fans. Romo has it the worst.
If they were going 6-10 they'd still be relevant, just for all the wrong reasons. But seriously, another reason people rag on Tony Romo is his lack of, as TheValkyries would say, CLUTCHCLUTCHCLUTCH and RINGSRINGSRINGSRINGS. Because he has none of those, he deserves it worse. To say they cowboys are shitty is pretty out there though and i think a fair amount of people would disagree with that. And Romo is definitely not the most hated person in Sports, A-Rod has him beat by far

Well tbh I disagree with what I originally said now. I still hate Brady but like I said it's the fanbase that pisses me off. They are the egotistical assholes in this scenario. I probably sound like a broken record by this point but their arrogance is really frustrating. The "They hate us cause they ain't us!" attitude needs to die.
But that attitude has been adopted due to the bevy of unfounded attacks on their favorite franchise by both the media and other fanbases. So much so that the amount of air put in a football was the lead story on the nightly news 3 days in a row.

http://deadspin.com/sal-paolantonio-has-found-the-real-victim-of-ballghazi-1681393538

So Much so that Tom Brady's ugg endorsement was called into question because he may be a cheater

http://deadspin.com/mark-brunell-almost-cries-over-deflated-balls-1681235859

So much so that It caused a grown man to cry over the amount of Air in footballs

http://www.wthr.com/story/27901962/...o-come-down-hard-on-belichick-for-deflategate

So much so that columnists across the country called for Belichick's Job over something that's at most a 25,000 dollar fine.

Since this story broke the narrative of cheating in the NFL has changed from "Cheating is never Ok" to "Cheating is only bad if the patriots do it"

Didn't You yourself call the patriots cheaters that should that should be banned from the superbowl or something?

The "Hate us cuz they ain't us" attitude won't be going away any time soon

Because its 100% true and the people that criticize pats fans for adopting this mentality are ironically the ones that are perpetuating the Narrative that fuels it.

Last edited:
But that attitude has been adopted due to the bevy of unfounded attacks on their favorite franchise by both the media and other fanbases. So much so that the amount of air put in a football was the lead story on the nightly news 3 days in a row.

http://deadspin.com/sal-paolantonio-has-found-the-real-victim-of-ballghazi-1681393538

So Much so that Tom Brady's ugg endorsement was called into question because he may be a cheater

http://deadspin.com/mark-brunell-almost-cries-over-deflated-balls-1681235859

So much so that It caused a grown man to cry over the amount of Air in footballs

http://www.wthr.com/story/27901962/...o-come-down-hard-on-belichick-for-deflategate

So much so that columnists across the country called for Belichick's Job over something that's at most a 25,000 dollar fine.

Since this story broke the narrative of cheating in the NFL has changed from "Cheating is never Ok" to "Cheating is only bad if the patriots do it"

Didn't You yourself call the patriots cheaters that should that should be banned from the superbowl or something?

The "Hate us cuz they ain't us" attitude won't be going away any time soon

Because its 100% true and the people that criticize pats fans for adopting this mentality are ironically the ones that are perpetuating the Narrative that fuels it.
I never said they should be banned from the super bowl. When did I say this?
And for the record, DeflateGate is pure propaganda. It was only a small issue. The NFL is investigating it but the worst punishment they'll get is loss of r1 draft picks. Also, cheating is never okay. If I knew the Colts cheated I wouldn't be a fan. Remember bountygate? That wasn't the Patriots it was the Saints(which they're anything but btw) so people still condemn cheating Patriots or no. Patriots fans don't care about cheating though. When they DO cheat they just go back to the classic "They hate us cause they ain't us" remark and continue to be the league's worst fanbase by far
And let me be clear, I respect the on field accomplishments of the Patriots even though I hate the team. The modern day Patriots is a reincarnation of 1970's Pittsburgh Steelers, the 1980's San Francisco 49ers and the 1990's Dallas Cowboys. Anyone that denies that is a blind hater.

Last edited:
I really hope this thread isn't going to stay like this for the rest of the offseason.
Don't worry it won't. We have until the draft starts to calm down. We have plenty of time to get it together.
But seriously, I share in that worry. But really what is there to talk about in the offseason? News has been scarce

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Killah or WaterBomb or even DM wanna show these nerds how fandom works?
hi I'm weeks late to this and I can't be arsed to read everything before and after this but holy FUCK there were some terrible posts leading up to this one

Teams I hate: everyone else in the AFC East, but most of all the Pats/Jets/Dolphins
Teams I dislike: just about everyone else
Teams I sometimes root for, simply because their fans have had their hearts crushed similar to mine: Browns/Lions
Teams I tolerate/like/love/despise all at the same time: Bills

I wanna note that Marino did go to the Super Bowl once, in his second season. Lost to the 15-1 Niners. That was '84, the legendary year where he threw for 48 TDs. He must have thought, "Ah, I'm young, I'll be back to the Super Bowl someday..." Sucks.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just wanna add that the reason I hate Tom Brady isn't #rings, it's the fact that he cried like a little bitch whenever he used to play us around 06-12 and got phantom roughing calls every time Suggs breathed on him, coupled with the fact that Australia is full of dick sucking bandwagon fans who don't watch anything outside the Superbowl.

If I lived in the states and he didn't have that history of getting bullshit calls against my team, I'd be pretty neutral to the man tbh.

I wanna note that Marino did go to the Super Bowl once, in his second season. Lost to the 15-1 Niners. That was '84, the legendary year where he threw for 48 TDs. He must have thought, "Ah, I'm young, I'll be back to the Super Bowl someday..." Sucks.
teams i hate: Colts/Texans/Patriots/Ravens/Redskins
teams i root for when i happen to watch them: Seahawks/Packers

#gojags

Last edited by a moderator:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's Gonna be fun watching Legarrette Blount rush for 4 Tds against the Steelers in Week 1 while Leveon Bell's suspended.
Have they determined it'll be Steelers-Patriots week 1? I thought that wasn't decided yet. Also I don't think the NFL has ruled on the suspension either but that's more likely :(

Have they determined it'll be Steelers-Patriots week 1? I thought that wasn't decided yet. Also I don't think the NFL has ruled on the suspension either but that's more likely :(

The patriots home Opponents are really bleh this year.

Can't imagine it not being the Steelers Unless the Eagles somehow get Mariota or the Bills somehow Acquire a decent QB

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it won't be nearly as good a matchup if Bell is suspended so perhaps you should hope it's one of the others.

Unless of course you WANT the free win

Well it won't be nearly as good a matchup if Bell is suspended so perhaps you should hope it's one of the others.

Unless of course you WANT the free win
Honestly I think that the patriots are gonna destroy whatever team the play.

Whatever this Delflategate investigation brings is gonna give the Patriots extra motivation, add that on to the banner raising and The Patriots near-invincibleness at home you've got a recipe for a blowout.

Whatever team the NFL decides to send up there is basically a sacrificial lamb.

I Just want it to be the Steelers since their fanbase seems to be composed of a fairly large amount of Patriot haters.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Honestly I think that the patriots are gonna destroy whatever team the play.

Whatever this Delflategate investigation brings is gonna give the Patriots extra motivation, add that on to the banner raising and The Patriots near-invincibleness at home you've got a recipe for a blowout.

Whatever team the NFL decides to send up there is basically a sacrificial lamb.

I Just want it to be the Steelers since their fanbase seems to be composed of a fairly large amount of Patriot haters.
While I agree that the Patriots are the strongest team in the league at the moment, lots is going to happen between now and the beginning of the season. Between the draft and Free Agency you have a ton of turnover and influx of talent. Couple that with the fact that Week 1 is always unpredictable and even strong teams can come out of the gate slow (like the Patriots did this past season), and your prediction becomes wildly exaggerated. That's not even to mention the fact that "banner waving" and "motivation" are used very often, but seldom turn out the way you expect.

tl;dr it's way too early to crown the Patriots and write off their week 1 challenger as a "sacrificial lamb", so quit being so damned arrogant.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
While I agree that the Patriots are the strongest team in the league at the moment, lots is going to happen between now and the beginning of the season. Between the draft and Free Agency you have a ton of turnover and influx of talent. Couple that with the fact that Week 1 is always unpredictable and even strong teams can come out of the gate slow (like the Patriots did this past season), and your prediction becomes wildly exaggerated. That's not even to mention the fact that "banner waving" and "motivation" are used very often, but seldom turn out the way you expect.

tl;dr it's way too early to crown the Patriots and write off their week 1 challenger as a "sacrificial lamb", so quit being so damned arrogant.
Feel free to call me out on this if I'm wrong, but haven't the Patriots last few season starts been slow? I recall numerous 2-2 season starts and just generally bleh play until Brady gets comfy with his offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)