Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, been crazy with life, and missed the discussion, oh well.

I'm voting for noivern + nasty plot because sucker punch is too inconsistent imo, unaware embreon is too popular, and what was the other one again?

Hey guys, been crazy with life, and missed the discussion, oh well.

I'm voting for noivern + nasty plot because sucker punch is too inconsistent imo, unaware embreon is too popular, and what was the other one again?
If you aren't just speaking for dramatic effect, it's +mold breaker shuckle. If you are, i'll stop now

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
after that keld calc my vote is sealed
Sucking Pand
or Pangoro+Sucker Punch to save time counting votes cos i'm a good user n_n

(sorry in advance for the bolds, these aren't my votes!!/ im not voting anyway)
I'm just gunna post this here because I think it would be good to get some feedback/discussion (and prob helpful to anyone who is suggesting slates). What things exactly are off-limits for suggestions?
I suggested Desolate Land Mega Camerupt and Primordial Sea Empoleon a little while ago to Salemance and he said that the slaters dont want to see these "ultimate" abilities in the OU environment. So I guess that goes for Delta Stream too. Just wondering why this is... the abilities give new and interesting mechanics compared to other weather, which has proven to be worthy of slating- we often have slated options for improving weather, such as Sand Rush Cacturne and I think Drizzle Bronzong and Sand Stream Cradily a while back if my memory is not horribly off- and in many ways are worse than regular weather, especially for Primorial Sea which is barely better than Drizzle (turns a usually negligible fire resist into an immunity, and doesn't block will-o-wisp) and has the arguably awful effect of instantly going away when you switch out, meaning it can't support your team. And I thought these slates are about finding new and interesting playstyles in OU. There are also other fantastic abilities that rival these, such as Huge Power, Parental Bond, even Speed Boost can be completely broken as seen. So I'm wondering why you guys want to avoid the primal abilities. I can understand not allowing stuff like stance change as this can't be implemented easily on showdown and doesn't make sense how the stats would change- but perhaps a list of banned abilities would be really helpful?
Also regarding "too powerful"- is there any rules regarding mindless offensive buffs anymore? Cus a lot of recent slatings are really offensive, like Moxie Weavile, NP Noivern, along with many others- perhaps its rude to call them "mindless", because they do patch up somewhere where the pokemon is lacking, but they are really just competitors in the offensive style of the metagame. Im not complaining about this but I'm wondering what the actual ruling on this is. Can I suggest Huge Power Wailord since it fits thematically and patches his weakness for instance? (not actually suggesting that one, but an example)

There's also a bit of discrepancy regarding the highest tier, for instance some winning slates are outside of the C+ and below rule. Not that I think this is a bad thing, since with the ever-changing tier list, B- pokemon are often the current same value as C+ pokemon and there's a lot of switching between those as B-/C+ seems to be the very fine line between genuine viability and "eh, i guess its niche".
edit: this recently got changed to B- as the cutoff point I think (which Im a fan of). I will still leave the text here because if you have something to say about it it would be interesting to listen to as to where the cutoff point is defined

And any other explanations for slates would be cool to add too if there's anything else to say. Sometimes I get kinda confused when I see something like Electrify Zebstrika- surely thats something which could cause some pretty heavy centralization perhaps on the same lvl of how Mega Venusaur caused a huge change in early XY. But then again it fits the criteria of becoming a very highly ranked pokemon, possibly A+ rank or higher until teams change to deal with it- and still probably fantastic after that too. BUT it wouldn't make the metagame healthier.

Like I said I would pm this but I thought maybe its something that many people would like to hear an answer on. ^^

Last edited:
(sorry in advance for the bolds, these aren't my votes!!/ im not voting anyway)
I'm just gunna post this here because I think it would be good to get some feedback/discussion (and prob helpful to anyone who is suggesting slates). What things exactly are off-limits for suggestions?
I suggested Desolate Land Mega Camerupt and Primordial Sea Empoleon a little while ago to Salemance and he said that the slaters dont want to see these "ultimate" abilities in the OU environment. So I guess that goes for Delta Stream too. Just wondering why this is... the abilities give new and interesting mechanics compared to other weather, which has proven to be worthy of slating- we often have slated options for improving weather, such as Sand Rush Cacturne and I think Drizzle Bronzong and Sand Stream Cradily a while back if my memory is not horribly off- and in many ways are worse than regular weather, especially for Primorial Sea which is barely better than Drizzle (turns a usually negligible fire resist into an immunity, and doesn't block will-o-wisp) and has the arguably awful effect of instantly going away when you switch out, meaning it can't support your team. And I thought these slates are about finding new and interesting playstyles in OU. There are also other fantastic abilities that rival these, such as Huge Power, Parental Bond, even Speed Boost can be completely broken as seen. So I'm wondering why you guys want to avoid the primal abilities. I can understand not allowing stuff like stance change as this can't be implemented easily on showdown and doesn't make sense how the stats would change- but perhaps a list of banned abilities would be really helpful?
Also regarding "too powerful"- is there any rules regarding mindless offensive buffs anymore? Cus a lot of recent slatings are really offensive, like Moxie Weavile, NP Noivern, along with many others- perhaps its rude to call them "mindless", because they do patch up somewhere where the pokemon is lacking, but they are really just competitors in the offensive style of the metagame. Im not complaining about this but I'm wondering what the actual ruling on this is. Can I suggest Huge Power Wailord since it fits thematically and patches his weakness for instance? (not actually suggesting that one, but an example)

There's also a bit of discrepancy regarding the highest tier, for instance some winning slates are outside of the C+ and below rule. Not that I think this is a bad thing, since with the ever-changing tier list, B- pokemon are often the current same value as C+ pokemon and there's a lot of switching between those as B-/C+ seems to be the very fine line between genuine viability and "eh, i guess its niche".
edit: this recently got changed to B- as the cutoff point I think (which Im a fan of). I will still leave the text here because if you have something to say about it it would be interesting to listen to as to where the cutoff point is defined

Like I said I would pm this but I thought maybe its something that many people would like to hear an answer on. ^^
Please PM the council members with this stuff. It clutters the thread and then derails the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)