Research Pokemon that lost their moves

Darkrai had Embargo through Level Up in Diamond and Pearl but lost it from Platinum onwards. Could still learn through TM.
Dialga, Palkia and Giratina all had Heal Block through Level Up in Diamond and Pearl but lost it from Platinum onwards.
Corsola had Safeguard as an Egg Move in Gen 2 but never again. Can still learn through TM.
Shaymin had Lucky Chant as a Level Up move in Diamond and Pearl but lost it from Platinum onwards.
Kabuto had Aerial Ace through TM in Gen 3 but never again.
Vileplume had Sleep Powder through Level Up in Gen 1 but never again.
Vileplume and Victreebel had Poison Powder through Level Up in Gen 1 but never again.
Steelix had Rock Polish through Level Up in Gen 4 but never again. Can still learn through TM.
Vullaby and Mandibuzz had Iron Defence through BW2 Move Tutor, but no longer in ORAS.
Poliwag and Poliwhirl had Amneisa through Level Up in Gen 1 but never again.
Clefable had Minimize as a starting move in Gen 1, lost it in Gen 2, and regained it from Gen 3 onwards.
Lucario had Dark Pulse as a starting move in Gen 4 and 5 but lost it in Gen 6. Can still learn through TM.
Ekans had Crunch as an Egg Move in Crystal but never again.
Mightyena had Crunch as a Level Up move in gen 3, lost it in Gen 4 onwards and regained it in ORAS.
Vibrava and Flygon had Crunch as a Level Up move in Gen 3, but never again.
Porygon-Z had Wonder Room as a Move Tutor move in BW2 but lost it in ORAS.

That does it for all Gen 1-4 TM moves plus some extras. I'll cover the Gen 5 and 6 TMs/HMs in the next post because my laptop's being an asshole and forcing a restart

Golly Kurona, could you as well take over the research and compile everything brought up so far? The listed lost moves in the (many) last posts go beyond the initial framework I established in the first post, too. I think some readable format and way(-s) of sorting could be established to make similar "losses" stand together?

An excel sheet in Google docs would probably do. Maybe start a new thread since we've expanded from the original discussions I tried to guide too.

You could then probably publish the whole thing on the site or something.

Golly Kurona, could you as well take over the research and compile everything brought up so far? The listed lost moves in the (many) last posts go beyond the initial framework I established in the first post, too. I think some readable format and way(-s) of sorting could be established to make similar "losses" stand together?

An excel sheet in Google docs would probably do. Maybe start a new thread since we've expanded from the original discussions I tried to guide too.

You could then probably publish the whole thing on the site or something.
Lol; I'm just being a big nerd finding a way to kill time without being scared of showdown >_> Don't think I'd be up for such a massive project. I would, however, be interested in compiling a list of moves that Pokémon can only get through transfer such as Defog, the Emerald tutors and some Gen 5 TMs... that would be very relevant to both casual and competitive, I think.
Really it was kind of easy. I just looked through the TM lists for each gen as well as some related moves and some I just thought of off the top of my head.
Talking of which, looked through Gen 5 TMs - nothing from that was dropped between gens. Same for Gen 6; as the only three TMs they introduced that weren't TMs before were Power-Up Punch, Dazzling Gleam and Confide. I actually completed this jfc.

Just a couple more;
Cloyster had Clamp as a starting move in Gen 1 but never again.
Ninetales had Fire Spin as a Level Up move in Gen 2 and 3 but never again.

Anyone mentioned Water Sport Budew? It's useless and it can be learned by evolving Budew, but if you breed a Roselia then you don't have access to that anymore...
Also I remember a Fire Spin Ninetales in my Leaf Green playthrough, does that count?

Anyone mentioned Water Sport Budew? It's useless and it can be learned by evolving Budew, but if you breed a Roselia then you don't have access to that anymore...
Also I remember a Fire Spin Ninetales in my Leaf Green playthrough, does that count?
Water Sport Budew was mentioned in the fact that all Incense Baby Pokémon have some differencing moves from their non-Incense counterparts.
Ninetales could learn Fire Spin through level up in Generations II and III, but not in any other generation. Vulpix is able to learn Fire Spin in every game.

It was very early into the thread that we established the arbitrary line between 'losing access to moves' and 'losing a TM'. If Bubblebeam made a return as a TM / tutor move, we could have something to compare Articuno's access to the move in RBY to.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Qwilfish learned Swords Dance in Gen III as a tutor move. SD became a TM, but Qwilfish doesn't learn it anymore.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well I'd imagine many Pokemon who got a special move from the Dream World probably lost that move when the Dream World closed down. I'll see if I can't make a list:

Nidoran (f), Stunky, & Slakoth lost Sucker Punch
Lickitung & Tauros lost Rock Climb
Sentret
, Growlithe, Taillow, Seaking, & Gible lost Endure
Mareep lost Reflect
Psyduck, Slowpoke, & Remoraid lost Brine
Butterfree, Mantine, Combee, & Beedrill lost Air Cutter
Beedrill lost Fury Cutter
Tropius lost Silver Wind
Clamperl & Smoochum* lost Captivate
Gastly** & Koffing lost Sludge Wave
Misdreavus lost Inferno
Rhyhorn lost Double-Edge
Spinda
lost Superpower
Voltorb lost Natural Gift
Nosepass lost Ancient Power
Lunatone
lost Moonlight
Solrock lost Morning Sun
Kecleon
lost Reflect Type
Cherubi lost Bullet Seed
Roselia
lost Swift

* Technically can have it as an Egg Move but the parent needs to have learn it from TM in Gen IV)
** However some recent Event Gengar have it

Lugia got Pshyco Boost via purification in XD and alot of of pokemon got refresh that way but never again
There are a crazy amount of Pokemon that only learn certain moves in the spinoff games XD and Colosseum, that's why SRing in those games is a thing. They don't really count for the purpose of this thread because they're like event moves. They have to make those Pokemon special somehow - and it works. If only flawless Refresh Salamence were legally obtainable, and so on.
I'd count Dream World exclusive moves as event-exclusive moves too. It's not like those Pokemon had that move for a few generations and lost them. They literally just got that move as a special one-time thing, which obviously don't count for the purposes of this thread.

I'd count Dream World exclusive moves as event-exclusive moves too. It's not like those Pokemon had that move for a few generations and lost them. They literally just got that move as a special one-time thing, which obviously don't count for the purposes of this thread.
Yeah, but Refresh is a useful move, and it is sort of hurtful that they lost them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm not too sure if the moves from the Colosseum games count since I think you can still get them. It's a bit of a long process but as far as I know as long as you have all the required equipment you can still get a Pokemon with a special move in a Colosseum game into your Gen VI game. Of course the problem is that Pokemon probably won't have the IVs you want (and the Nature and/or Ability if you don't want to go through the hassle of catching it over and over again to get the one you want), but you still can get it.

You can no longer get a Dream World Pokemon, so if that's the only way that Pokemon got a special move its gone except for the ones who exist (or hacked to have it).

I know some were listed, though does anyone dare look through the entire list of Gen I and II TMs? MUAWAWAWA! Well nevermind...

Last edited:
I know some were listed, though does anyone dare look through the entire list of Gen I and II TMs? MUAWAWAWA!
I actually looked through the list of every single TM from all six gens and listed them all here. The only ones I could have possibly missed out were if Pokémon had them as TMs but no longer when they were released later as Tutors instead of TMs; but even then I got a few.

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
A couple of curious cases that I didn't see mentioned in the thread are also how Zangoose could learn Thunder Wave in Gen III via move tutor but lost the ability to learn it from DPPt onwards, Darkrai could learn Pursuit via level up in DP but couldn't learn it from Platinum onwards, the Gastly line for some reason can't learn Icy Wind in Gen II-III but could learn it from DPPt afterwards; oh and Lunatone applies too, it couldn't learn Icy Wind until B2W2 came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)