Generation Showdown [Online Competition] Finished!

Event legendaries are banned, so you can't use keldeo

Your team is also super weak to gravity+pgroudon
Ahh, thanks for the heads up on Keldeo. Apparently reading is a skill I haven't completely comprehended.

Hmm...don't know what I'll use in that 6th slot...maybe Mewtwo, Gyrados, or Rayquaza

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hate to do this since I'm the thread OP and everything but I won't be competing in this, and if I do it will just be a few games for a bit of fun. I'm way too busy this weekend, not to mention the fact that I'm a terrible doubles player and I haven't been able to figure out a way to deal with the omnipresent CresDon combo, so my motivation was already low.

I wish everyone luck and hope to see how you all do!

Did my first ten, finished 8-2. First loss was to a double Draco Meteor miss that one hitting would've won me the game against a freaking Raichu (Raichu takes down Mega Ray, nerf plz). Second was to a Pdon/Pyogre/Cresselia/MKhan team that outmaneuvered me with Trick Room and Skill Swap and some misplays on my end as well.

I've run into like seven sub-1500 folks, so the skill levels at this hour may be lower, I dunno. There were a lot of suboptimal casual sets like Hyper Voice Rest Mega Ray.

I am loving Whimsicott so much though. It's complete and utter Taunt bait, but Priority Encore wins me so many games I shouldn't. Nice Geomancy, can you show me that again pretty please? Oh, a Fake Out? I think you'll want to switch next turn. Trick Room? Reverse Trick Room!

Trying to decide between using bellydrum Slurpuff or bellydrum Azumarill... probably will go with Slurpuff since I have a dual screen Klefki on my team and that should help him set up.

Good luck to you all!

Ended with 8-2 which I'm happy enough with. Team building for this was a nightmare as the Ubers can be quite unpredictable.

First loss was to Cress and a SPECIAL P-Don owning my ass under Trick Room but since it was the only one I faced I didn't get a chance to redeem myself as I'm fine against physical P-Don.

Second loss was a close match that saw me splitting my attacks when I should have double teamed his P-Kyogre and got rid of it.

My last opponent had 1546 rating and I was 1575 so not sure what I ended up on.

Also - lets talk about screens. They are SO GOOD in this competition as the extreme damage being flung about can be managed so much better. Klefki was definitely worth the team spot!

Last edited:
Lost 1 match to a draco miss and poison jab crit(mega beedrill is scary), but aside from that today went well.
So many people are using normal doubles teams and they seem to know what they're doing so it makes me wonder if they're doing it for the sake of proving that they can beat ubers with non-ubers.

Something I was surprised at on Day 1 was the lack of Xerneas I saw, I really thought we'd see a lot of Fake Out/Follow Me Geomancy shenanigans going on. The ones I ran into, one was scarfed and the other 2 were Geomancy but all were easy enough to deal with.

Did a tally to see which Ubers were most common in my matches.

Rayquaza - 6
Kyogre - 4
Xerneas - 3
Groudon - 2
Dialga - 1
Kyurem-W - 1
Mewtwo-X -1

Yes I know that's only 18 Ubers but there was one team I faced that didn't contain any which was an easy win.

Actually saw just one Groudon... and in select screen only. Glad I didn't sell out to counter him and instead packed me a Ferrothorn for Xerneas, Kyogre, even Rayquaza after LO/Barbs/Helmet damage. She's been awesome so far. Started out 6-0, but hit a rough patch and finished 7-3. Of course the losses are more memorable.

1. Mat Block is a move? Wonder what it... oops, just got swept by the Belly Drum Slurpuff I couldn't touch.
2. Palkia is Water/Dragon, so I can send out Ferrothorn to kill the Xerneas... wait... Palkia learns Fire Blast?
3. Battle of Hoenn Shedinjanigans are finally over... oh no... Audino Entrained Wonder Guard all over the field; now we get to stare at each other for 30 minutes until I lose the tiebreaker.

Never done Ubers or Doubles on Showdown so maybe I should have seen these a mile away. But on to day 2 and more fun!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Skore are you Skore♀ in ORAS? If so, I faced against you (my IGN is Cara). I thought the opponent's name was just a way to say "scoring chicks" or something but now that I see you post right before me I'm thinking it might've been you! He was definitely a good player compared to most of the players I faced so it'd just make sense if he was a Smogonite ;)

Anyway, I ended up 7-3 which technically isn't a bad record but I'm pretty upset because I know exactly why I lost each game. The first loss was my very first game and was just due to me not being really warmed up yet honestly, and also I really underestimated how good my own Mega Rayquaza was and used him too conservatively. That's a loss I'm fine with. The other two losses were pretty infuriating because I can't even blame them on hax or bad rolls, both of them came down to me not using Protect when I should have. If I had just used Protect I would've gone 9-1, a much better record. I wasn't in the doubles mindset honestly, I'm too wired for singles I guess, haha. Kept forgetting about the Protect option.

Those stupid losses made me really tilted and made me make some terrible plays (I accidentally did not Mega Evolve Rayquaza because I forgot what the Mega Evolution button looked like when selected, so I deselected it thinking I was actually selecting it. This prevented Delta Stream from going up so my Landorus could not survive an Ice attack.) Fortunately, I still won because my opponent wasn't very good. In fact, most of the people I played weren't very good...and not just in the normal sense either. The second player I faced literally did not have any items equipped. Like Togedelques said, some people are just using normal doubles teams with no ubers...and some look like they're using Singles teams. This isn't just me either, a lot of people have been noticing this. I wouldn't be too surprised, I think a competition with these sorts of rules does certainly attract a large number of casual players.

Anyway I think tomorrow will go better, I've learned quite a few things so that's good. Unfortunately it looks like Rotom-W is pretty much a deadweight on my team, I wish I could replace him with some sort of Ghost but it's too late. I've never really used Rayquaza or Xerneas before this so I wasn't really so sure on how to use them but now I think I've got it down pretty well. I'm never not bringing Xerneas and Rayquaza from this point on, they're just too good.

I only saw one Groudon too, in my final game but fortunately I was able to handle it with no problems. I only saw one Xerneas and one Rayquaza too; Mewtwo was the most common one I ran into. Quite surprised, I think the competition is going much differently from what we expected and prepared for.

Hey Skore are you Skore♀ in ORAS? If so, I faced against you (my IGN is Cara). I thought the opponent's name was just a way to say "scoring chicks" or something but now that I see you post right before me I'm thinking it might've been you! He was definitely a good player compared to most of the players I faced so it'd just make sense if he was a Smogonite ;)
Ha! Yes that's my Ruby avatar :) Both characters are Skore but Ruby is the girl avatar hence the gender symbol :P

Something I was surprised at on Day 1 was the lack of Xerneas I saw, I really thought we'd see a lot of Fake Out/Follow Me Geomancy shenanigans going on. The ones I ran into, one was scarfed and the other 2 were Geomancy but all were easy enough to deal with.

Did a tally to see which Ubers were most common in my matches.

Rayquaza - 6
Kyogre - 4
Xerneas - 3
Groudon - 2
Dialga - 1
Kyurem-W - 1
Mewtwo-X -1

Yes I know that's only 18 Ubers but there was one team I faced that didn't contain any which was an easy win.
My experience was completely different I saw:
Xerneas - 1
Kyorgre - 3
Rayquaza - 1
Groudon - 2
Palkia - 1
Lugia - 1

And like I said earlier only 5/10 teams I faced had Ubers and one team had only Kyorge.

Also I don't know I played anyone from the Forums but my IGN in Emmett and my region is Canada. :]

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Am currently 10-0 with a rating of 1645. Will probably continue some time later tonight

Uber findings:
Xerneas - 3
Dialga - 1
Rayquaza - 1
Groudon - 1
Lugia - 1
Ho-Oh - 1
Mewtwo (Y) -1

I got a bit lucky in my last match with a Shadow Ball spdef drop on his Skill Swap Cress. He paired it with Kyogre which is pretty annoying. I have Skill Swap Cress + Primal Groudon myself but I never got a shot to pull it off.

Also nearly lost to a well played terracott.

5-1 8-1 atm. I'm basically using a team of 5 pokemon from now on, as I forgot to give my Kangaskhan max happiness (Couldn't believe my eyes when return did 25% to Xerneas...).

I'm still shocked after my two last battles. One of them because of a good candidate to the worst move I ever made (with Skill swap) in a game I controlled but eventually lost, and my last one had probably the worst parahax I have ever witnessed in any battle, I was literaly laughing out loud.

Will upload vids and update soon. Good luck folks! :)

Two people at 10-0 - keep up the good work. It's unbelievable that you both have faced just 9 legends each, though. Let me know at which time you play xD

Last edited:
Started off my Day 2 batch pretty tilted with a couple of losses due to an unfortunate series of misprediction and partially because of forgetting that Mega Altaria was part Pixie (Protip: I am so bad at this game). I managed to pull through overall with a 7-3 win though. I'm not sure how many games I'll be able to squeeze in tomorrow though, so I'll probably end this competition here at 15-5, which I'm fine with.

Whew, running into all those Japanese made for some intense games (It was noontime in Tokyo when I was playing) and certainly a step up from the casual stuff on the first day.

As an observation, at this juncture I ran into more 1600-rankers, but I still run into the occasional 1480-er. I think there's a general disparity in the scores that there aren't enough high rollers to match up.

Last edited:
Day 1 didn't go very well for me...3-7 overall...I'm still very poor at the metagame.

I think I saw 6 Kyorges, 3 Groudons, 1 Rayquaza, and 1 Kyreum.

The Kyreum was a boss though, as it 1HKO my entire team. Needless to say I was pretty bummed after that matchup.

I was 0-7 and had a guy on the ropes and he quit during the match! I was so freaking mad, thinking to myself oh god I am going to go 0-10...thankfully though I righted the ship and won a couple.

I had some success against P-Kyorge with Rotom-W's Thunderbolt, followed up with a Ferrothorn Grass Knot.

Okay, So far today I stated 4-0 and I was going great and then I lost one game because of terrible hax. then I proceeded to play poorly the next two games making me 4-3 for today so far. I'm going to take a break and do my last 13 matches tomorrow.

Amazing Battles:
24JG-WWWW-WWXC-7NYA
N79G-WWWW-WWXC-7NKK
2Z5W-WWWW-WWXC-7NMT

How to get haxed to Death:
U5WW-WWWW-WWXC-7NRY
(252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 142-168 (65.4 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

How to lose:
RATG-WWWW-WWXC-7ZF4 (Yes he had a VGC team)
MKCW-WWWW-WWXC-7ZG3

Last edited:
Congratulations to those that are 10-0!, i face a lot of good players this 2 days ,first day finished 8-2 , and today i play 5 games winning all of them , i face alot of Kang+Geo Xerneas :/ , i must say that i really like Yveltal didnt see anyone using it , i beat a lot of team with it + M-Ray

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ended the day 7-3 for a total of 17-3. I misplayed my last match very badly - I expected the Fake Tears Liepard+greninja but for some reason I thought it would Fake Out + Low Kick my kanga turn 1 and I switched out and lost. Oh well.

Highest rating I got was 1711 when I was 17-2.

Uber count of the day:
Xerneas - 2
Groudon - 4
Kyogre - 4
Rayquaza - 1
Mewtwo (Y) - 1
Dialga - 2

For the most part this is similar to what I faced yesterday. Also Xerneas has been a lot less powerful as I move up the ladder, but still a force nonetheless since it absolutely demands attention. Groudon is still by far my most dependable Pokemon but Ive been running into Skill Swap Cress + POgres which are getting super annoying, and I had one match where my Desolate Land was swapped all over the place.

I also lost to HP Ice/Earth Power/Eruption/Protect Groudon. Well idk if it was HP ice or not but he aimed it at my Salamence's spot.

Last edited:
i must say that i really like Yveltal didnt see anyone using it , i beat a lot of team with it + M-Ray
Our teams might be similar; I've been pairing a Hasty Snarl Yveltal with Lando/Gyaro Intimidates (and Mega-Ray like yourself) and it has wrecked almost every opposing offensive team so far. It struggles against "trick" teams though, so maybe I should have packed a Taunt somewhere (probably Gyaro, since I'm running AV on Yveltal to make him delightfully tanky).

Update: Well today was rough -- an early loss to a clearly hacked shiny Groudon/shiny Kyogre/shiny Thunderus team pissed me off, and instead of taking a breather I sloughed on distracted to somewhere around .500. But at least that provided the most entertaining match yet, which I was already going to save before a hax finally went my way for the win:

MK3G-WWWW-WWXC-AG9Z (it's a Bandorus, hence all the switching)

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey all,

I had a pretty good run today too. 7-3 once again but thankfully my losses weren't as stupid as they were yesterday! That brings me up to 14-6 total, not too bad. Not sure of what my score is but I imagine it's somewhere around 1600. I probably won't be near the top for this one unfortunately.

I'm really starting to regret my team choices but unfortunately it's too late to change it. I'd definitely want to switch out my Rotom-W, which has been pretty much a deadweight, with an Aegislash. Also perhaps instead, Mega Kangaskhan with Fake Out to lead with Xerneas. Either way, that spot I put for Rotom is kind of a waste; it was only used in the first game (where it did almost nothing) and I never used it again since. I was thinking it would be useful because it resisted all three Hoenn ubers' attacks and Thunder Wave could be useful, but honestly this meta is so fast and everything is so powerful it never has time to really do anything.

A lot of people disconnected against me when it was certain I was going to win which was kind of annoying. Fortunately, they still count as wins. From the people who didn't just disconnect, I have three pretty good replays.

D2CW-WWWW-WWXC-A62Y - This one is a terrible game but it's hilarious so I really highly recommend checking it out. My opponent was using some strange Skill Swap Spinda gimmick with Intimidate on Arcanine to give me a double Intimidate. Too bad for him Xerneas doesn't really care about Intimidate...

BD7W-WWWW-WWXC-A63N - There wasn't that much exceptional about this game except the fact that I 100% should have lost it. I made some really bad choices like Mega Evolving Rayquaza, forgetting about Delta Stream. This let his Talonflame live a Rock Slide and in the end it was my Ferrothorn vs. his Talonflame. By all accounts I should have lost this game but apparently he targeted his partner's spot rather than me, causing his Flare Blitz to fail and me to win. Good thing I didn't forfeit!

DMLG-WWWW-WWXC-A657 - My final game of today, nothing strange happened in it but I thought it was a pretty good match.

All three of these battles have the awesome Zinnia theme so check them out :heart:

I think I'm 14-2 atm, ~1650. Taking a break, will finish tomorrow! I've had several great battles against good players, one of which I lost. This competition is so fun :)

Jibaku

Update: Well today was rough -- an early loss to a clearly hacked shiny Groudon/shiny Kyogre/shiny Thunderus team pissed me off, and instead of taking a breather I sloughed on distracted to somewhere around .500. But at least that provided the most entertaining match yet, which I was already going to save before a hax finally went my way for the win:
?_?
Shiny groudon/kyogre/thundurus are all obtainable in pre gen 6. Shiny Thundurus is even obtainable in Alpha Sapphire. It's also not the hardest thing to RNG for those.

ANyways I'm 19-3 with a rating of 1716 atm. Idk if I should continue or not because I kinda want to get a decent rating and the last time I pushed myself I ended going on a losing streak.

Yeah I was running around with shiny Rayquaza and Lando-T. This tourney was my last real chance to use all these RNG-manipulated mons that were stuck in my box, ha. Unless the next ubers tourney is non-Pentagon as well, which is more likely than not I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)