Serious What do you want to do with your life?

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Get his haircut, it'll boost your attractiveness by 130%.

I'm currently 18 and trying to enter med school. I've passed 5/6 of the preliminary subjects last year, still can't beat Biophysics, which is considered even harder than some of the subjects already in med school. I really want to be a Psychiatrist and have my own office so I don't have to depend on a contract or anything hospital related. Hopefully I'll be able to move out of the country and live in Europe (Switzerland is my ultimate goal) and be able to travel around the globe. Don't really want to have a family, kids scare me and I don't think I'll ever be able to take on such a big responsability.
Also, having my own foundation would be super cool and that way I can die knowing I've built something that'll last and have an impact on people's lives.

But really, even if I can only accomplish a 30% of all of my goals, I'd still be very happy that at least I tried my best.
I'm going to medical school next year (United States) so let me know if you have questions.

I'm going to medical school next year (United States) so let me know if you have questions.
I'm doing a summer course (It's summer down here) so if everything goes well, I should be in med school by march, so let me know if YOU have any questions :P (Watch me fail miserably)

I'm really young compared to about everyone else on this tread, but I just want to be a person who makes a positive impact on the world, no recognition needed. I don't really have much potential, I'm just one of millions of smart kids, nothing really special about me.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even though I'm just in high school right now and most people have told me that this question isn't worth asking myself at this point, the fact that my school offers a multitude of career-based courses is making me feel like things are changing in the grand scheme of things and that I should probably have a general idea about what I want to do with my life at this point. I've considered a few different possibilities, but honestly, I could never see myself doing most of them. I've considered going into medicine like my dad, but all I've heard from him is that he hates having to deal with patients (apparently its a bunch of old people and if he doesnt have the patience for them then neither would I). Also, with all the changes to medicare/introduction of Obamacare, medical doctors are going to be paid a lot less soon or something, according to his illustrious highness. Either way, it seems like too complicated a science anyway, albeit somewhat interesting. I've also thought about going into law and becoming a trial attorney. However, the only thing i've heard about lawyers is that everyone thinks that they're lying/cheating scum and whatnot (remember, i'm talking about the US) and that people generally hate lawyers. That seems to be the general consensus, at least. The court system also seems like a bunch of bullshit in the first place anyway. The only reason I've thought about it in the first place is because I tend to argue a lot and I dont mind public speaking. The third and probably most realistic option that I've thought about recently is becoming some sort of programmer/coder of sorts. Right now, I have literally no knowledge of code, but it seems to be something that I might enjoy, considering that 99% of my free time is spent plugging away at my keyboard (see: this post). I heard from a friend that next year, there's an option of a computer studies class, where students can learn about code, so I signed up for that. I'll see where that takes me and hopefully it won't be too horrible.

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with my life up until about three months ago when multiple people from different aspects of my life mentioned how I would make a great teacher. I got it from my parents, from co-workers and my boss, and from my good friends at school. I had never really thought about teaching before but honestly I can see myself teaching something like an English or history course, since I excel in the former and learning about the latter is one of my favorite things to do.

Honestly I feel like I would be the one to hate teaching kids so I'd probably try for something like high school English or Comp, maybe a class on Civilizations or Government. idk I still have a lot of time to think about what I want to do but having at least something to work with helps me work through high school and gives me a goal to look forward to.

I don't really want to get married, nor do I want kids. I want a laid back life, where I can play video games, go onto the computer often, and of course a job that doesn't require too much work, maybe a game tester or something.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I actually don't know what I want to be.
At the same time, I wanted to be a biologist, a musician and a crafter. I wanted to keep all three, like I want them to happen at the same time, only to fail so miserably for being so greedy. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I just don't like how university takes up so much time, that you can't preserve your other hobbies anymore. (They don't have part-time biology where I live, which sucks)
If you go to university, you pretty much can only choose one discipline and forget your other hobbies. But I don't want to choose just one.

I'm an Athletic Director at a large school in Austin, Texas. I moved to Texas from a cold northern state to follow my dreams. At the time, I was 25, single, lonely, and working an entry-level office job I hated. I already had a Bachelors degree in Business, but with my bad job I knew I needed change. So I got my Masters in 2 years (graduating this spring), was a grad assistant coaching the track team, and my Masters will be in Kinesiology and Sports Management. I ran for the track team during my undergrad too. Moved to Dallas as a coach, did that for a year, networked and did extra work like crazy, and became Athletic Director in Austin. I've been here about a year, I met a girl and we just got married in October. So from a life/love situation, these somehow figured themselves out. The challenge becomes maintaining the balance.

My advice to anyone still searching for life's answers is don't worry about it. Just do what you love and try to make a modest living at it. Don't settle for a generic office job unless you really think you can handle it. If that ends up sucking, then change your plans and refocus. Do everything 100%. I work 65 hours a week in my job, but it's so fun because I'm teaching sports to kids all day and I love that. I still find time to extend my streak in the ORAS Battle Maison every couple days too.

I have wanted to be many things in the past but always ended up losing my passion for them. I dropped out of college halfway into a psychology degree so I could stop and figure it all out. Since then I've just been working and trying to find my passion in life. I think I've finally decided what I want to do for the short term and long term. Short term I'd like to get a degree in graphic design, and there's a 2 year school in my town. Long term I'd like to pick up the pieces and go back to a university to get a degree in environmental science or something, so I can become a park ranger. I work outside for a living and I love it. I love hiking and being out in nature around animals, so I think I could be truly passionate about that line of work.

I'm currently in uni to become a pharmacist, but I'm already half way through the course and I don't feel like it's the career for me. Honestly, I have no idea what I REALLY want to do. The closest thing to a hobby that I currently have is competitive Pokémon, but I'm not sure if that's really something that I'd get a lot out of in life. Anyone else in a similar situation?

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm currently in uni to become a pharmacist, but I'm already half way through the course and I don't feel like it's the career for me. Honestly, I have no idea what I REALLY want to do. The closest thing to a hobby that I currently have is competitive Pokémon, but I'm not sure if that's really something that I'd get a lot out of in life. Anyone else in a similar situation?
b a i l. Finished 2 years of 4 and was like fuck it and I don't regret it one bit. And so many of my pharm peeps regret not dropping it earlier. It's so overrated.

Oh man, this question has haunted me for a long time even today.

Since I was a young kid (I'm 19 and going to UIC now) I was always good at math and science, english and other subjects being my weaker areas. I was on my middle school and high school math team for all 6 years. I knew I wanted to do something math related, and eventually I decided to go for mechanical engineering, or maybe some other engineering related field if I decide to switch. That's it. I didn't pick M.E. because I have some sort of passion or something, but simply because I felt it would be an easier route for me and an easy way for me to nake big money. Sad huh?

I don't know what I feel passionate about, to be honest. Although I do love playing soccer and just drawing. I'd be fine just living a decent normal life but my family has lived either in poverty or around middle-class for generations and I hope that at the very least, I can live my life with my future family comfortably economically.

But I don't feel that that's a life goal as much as it is a short term goal in my eyes. I've come to the conclusion that all I want to do for the rest of my life is make everyone I geniunely care about happy, until the end. My parents and sisters, my best friends, and my future family. That would make me feel like I geniunely lived a life worth dying for.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello guys. I don't really post here but I'm bored on a Sunday night and I just decided to post here. Might be a bit long but.

My entire life, it's always been about writing and singing. If I couldn't be a journalist for the New York Times, I'd want to be someone selling out as an artist like Maroon 5 recently stadiums as a performer. It's been that way up until the 8th grade. Life was getting so stressed. You see, my abusive father was diagnosed with acute bilateral miositis, a disease which eats away at the muscles until there's none left. My mom, on the other hand, was never home for more than 3 hours at a time, since she never wanted to be around him. Moving to a new state, Tennessee, was another nail biter. I had few friends just bc I was new. I was never bullied, as there was never a reason to bully me (sounds super conceited, but im a reasonable athlete, not ugly at, and Im funny) but there was always an empty feeling. Sure, I had friends. It was at this point I was actually becoming pretty popular, but these people were just my school buds, not the lifetime friends an 8th grader thinks he'll make. The tension at home built, and I began to have doubts of my place in this world and began to turn my back on God (yes, I'm a Christian. Take that as you wish Idc.) It all climaxed on 10-1-12 when I wrapped a belt around my neck and tied it to the banister, thinking about jumping. Right as I was about to, my phone chimed. My small group leader texted me, saying "We've been missing you at church. Hope you're doing alright. Love you bud." I started to cry. Not even cry, I was bawling. It took me a year and a half of living in Tennessee to realize that I WAS loved, and that people truly cared for me. I slowly came back to my faith and came to grips with my father's condition and the impending divorce that would happen between the two, and over the next two years decided to better myself for the improvement of people's lives around me and my area. Life has thrown me a bunch of curveballs. I've ended up in the hospital a few times since then for low blood pressure scares (my friends in LC, mainly my bud Corporal Levi actually checked in on me on the forums while I was on hiatus so s/o to you) and some emotional tribulations (the pastor at the church I was attending [not the one who texted me] passed away from a rigorous colon cancer) but overall, my scope of life has changed. I still do want to sing and write, but I want to use these skills I've been blessed with to better improve kids who were in a rut like me, so that when they think that there is no one else to turn to, I will be there for them to let them know that someone cares.

On that topic if you're ever feeling down, shoot me a pm and I'll do my best to cheer you up.

Sorry for the long read, but it is what it is. :)

My wish for the future is to become a scientist of some sort. I don't know what subject, but I know that I want to work on something that really makes a difference. I don't want do be some random dude working at Gamestop or something, since when I have to do something to earn money, it might aswell be as usefull to everyone as possible. Currently my favorite subjects in school are maths (never had anything else than A's ;) and natural sciences, so it looks like scientist is the right way to go.

Also, I can't say I don't want to be a poke-tuber ;). Professional basketball player would also be nice.

I want to become a research mathematician. I'm currently in my third year of a BSc with majors in Mathematics and Physics and I love it. Right now I'm doing units on Topology and Quantum mechanics as well as some complex analysis but I am really interested in algebra and where that will take me.

I want to become a research mathematician. I'm currently in my third year of a BSc with majors in Mathematics and Physics and I love it. Right now I'm doing units on Topology and Quantum mechanics as well as some complex analysis but I am really interested in algebra and where that will take me.
Good luck with all that. I'm currently a first year grad student looking to study algebraic geometry. It's not easy, but it is fulfilling! Algebra is definitely a good call, it keeps getting more interesting as you go on. I did physics in my undergrad too, and it was really fun to see linear algebra come to life in Quantum.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
warning: tl;dr with a photo to conclude the essay... lol

I have a journalism/broadcasting degree, but I'm not going to be pursuing any journalism or broadcasting jobs.

The only form of journalism I'm going to be doing is really on my own accord, so freelancing my own work out to places. I don't want to be tied down in a job like that, and I'm kind of affected by all the shit things that happen in the world. I can't see myself handling all that stuff everyday, let alone being good enough. When I graduated uni, I was average, I didn't try hard and I certainly didn't have the social skills I have now. If I'd have had a job during uni that would've helped me immensely... but it doesn't matter now. After finishing uni there was no real jobs around here, and I didn't want to have to go out to the country to do jobs, because at that point I didn't have my license, had barely spent a night away from home... I couldn't do any of that.

I decided to go back to uni and do photography, which is something I'd always loved. This was about the time I was getting into Smogon, I was naive and much like all new people to Smogon, wanting to do everything possible and be the best and be a Treecko. Treecko was getting into Smogon at that time too, he succeeded at that and I didn't. It doesn't really bother me now because what I'm doing I love. That doesn't matter now, because I pulled out towards the end of the semester because I couldn't handle the old cameras. My mind can't just connect what I can't see immediately, I wasn't at the stage where I'd know what I'm seeing is what the final product will be. I hated going to uni and that it'd take time away from being here, and having to spend a fuckload of money on equipment and materials to put together one photo irritated me. Having to cut straight, see in a barely lit room, change a roll in the dark (note I can't even change the till roll at work currently in the LIGHT - tbf it's kind of not an easy task)... basically all coordination things and I'm not the most coordinated person. The old cameras worked for people years ago, but that process took up so much time and I don't have patience waiting like three hours to finally get a shot. I want to see my images immediately. I know that's bad but... I just can't do that shit lol.

Flash forward to now. I'm moving to Queensland in 13 days, and quitting my two retail jobs. My long term goal is to do retail part time, and work on putting together a photography portfolio in the mean time. I want to create my own photography business ultimately, and I know it's a long and hard task etc, but I did learn a lot from that one semester I was in uni. In the studio photography class I learnt a lot about lighting, outdoor lighting and so on, and one of my photos (for a specific criteria) was the best in the class. I'd never had that during all the time I was at uni for my communications degree. I've been taking photos ever since I was about 14 (turning 23 this month) and I've always been obsessed with the final result (more so now that I'm older). I photographed my aunty's wedding, and without any of the professional equipment or skills (a DSLR, and two lens) I did a pretty good job. Photography has always been end-game for me, I always assumed after I was a famous journalist, when I retire I'd sell my photographs at 60 or something. But really, journalism isn't for me. My degree taught me a lot and I'm thankful for that (and it's also given me a big HECS fee) but it's not what I'm supposed to be doing.

It only really hit me a few days ago, when I was reading one of the magazines from work (we get 'em for free if we rip the front covers and return them when they're due) on the sky at night. The photographs in there really impressed me and reminded me that I want to do that. In an ideal world I'd be a TV news reporter, but I'm honestly not equipped for that, and that's fine, because photography is better for me. There's so many different things that need photography. The world is going online, and the demand for photography increases. I'm going to start looking into photography guides (and my stuff from my brief stint studying photography at uni) and getting the equipment I need. A DSLR is great but I need more than that if I want to be a professional. After I've paid off my HECS fees (I'm going to put money towards it each month) I'm going to go back to some sort of education institution and this time only tackle digital photography. I appreciate those who can use the black and white stuff, but digital is for me.

The thought of working full time as a photographer doesn't even seem scary to me. Doing something I love every single day where I can show my creativity, and do something truly unique... just makes me want it even more. So effectively my goal now is to do everything I can to work towards having a career in photography. As for what kind of area... I really don't know. Like I don't want to be boxed into one area. There's so many amazing things in this world I want to photograph (and not-so-amazing things) and dipping into everything is cool by me. Getting my photography up in galleries, photographing weddings, capturing nature, travelling all over(which I want to do, and photography allows me to do that safely whereas journalism is a lot riskier lol) - I want to do it all. That's what I want to do with my life, there's gotta be a reason why 14 year old me was so obsessed with taking photographs (I wasn't amazing but I tried!!).

Now I like to think I've at least improved (the following w/ light and phone) to be able to do ok stuff without needing my DSLR (although samsung is amazing)

(sharper/better version below)

With that said I'm going to keep practicing and trying new things so that I'm ready to enter the world of professional photography (roughly in about about a two year frame to build portfolio, volunteer etc). OK that is about all of my life story I will shush and let you all continue. :)

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I spent the past two years of my life studying science at university, but recently quit, as I no longer felt passionate about it, and I found the whole university deal to be way too alienating and challenging.

I don't know exactly what my future holds for me career-wise, but I hope to find a job and go back to studying, hopefully something that stimulates me more. I thought I wanted to be a cook, because I like making food, but I hear cooks work very long and hectic shifts, so I'll have none of that.

I'm pretty freaking great with numbers, so I'm sure I could apply that somewhere. But I'm honestly just happy with my life the way it is at this stage. I do need to make some improvements to it and myself, but to be honest, I'm doing what I want with my life right now, minus a few things I want to achieve in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)