Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

So just going off the possibility that Rayman's in, I'm incredibly disappointed. He's a shitty third-party character that I don't think many people want, especially when there is a massive clamouring for veterans like Wolf or Lucas. (I realise Lucas's moves are customs now, but still...) I don't see much moveset potential with him and as a character he pisses me off as much as Dark Pit does.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
So just going off the possibility that Rayman's in, I'm incredibly disappointed. He's a shitty third-party character that I don't think many people want, especially when there is a massive clamouring for veterans like Wolf or Lucas. (I realise Lucas's moves are customs now, but still...) I don't see much moveset potential with him and as a character he pisses me off as much as Dark Pit does.
Why would more options piss you off? Seriously?

If they weren't planning to make Rayman, they still wouldn't add Wolf or Lucas, Nintendo isn't exactly known for it's 5 star community feedback. And stuff like this is planned ahead of time, so this was probably before they even knew people wanted Wolf and Lucas back (Which is still just the minority of overall smashers, as most still bought the new game regardless of roster cuts. Wolf and Lucas weren't that popular in America or Japan during brawl's time anyways.)

Also why would Dark Pit piss you off? If he didn't exist there'd just be 1 less char in the roster, they wouldn't have time to add a whole new character just because they didn't end up adding dark pit.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also why would Dark Pit piss you off? If he didn't exist there'd just be 1 less char in the roster, they wouldn't have time to add a whole new character just because they didn't end up adding dark pit.
I'm not exactly super active in the Smash community (or any fan community bar this site, really), but from what I've gathered people feel Dark Pit is a lazy clone of Pit when they could have made him different. They could have utilized the different weapons from Uprising to give him a moveset distinct from Pit's, but instead made him a heavier, slightly harder hitting version of Pit with no major differences bar the Final Smash. Which is copied from another character. X_X

I'm just saying I don't like the character, and the choice that they made. It's not as simple as having or not having, "more options". You make a good point about Nintendo failing to answer to community feedback most of the time, but I think most people would disagree- Lucas and Wolf were popular, but both were lower-tier (mid in Wolf's case) and therefore simply not used. Adding to that were their awful cloned final smashes, which people didn't appreciate.

Karxrida hits the nail on the head re: Dark Pit. Don't patronise me, I am not some stupid fanboy who believes that Bigley or King K. Rool lost a spot to him, I understand that he was merely a simple addition that took very little extra time compared to designing a new character. But the fact that almost nothing about him is different, when both Lucina and Dr. Mario have clearly defined traits that set them apart from their 'base' character, and the fact that he is a boring-as-fuck edgy teenage fantasy carbon copy of Pit, galls me to no end. Similarly, Rayman--a character defined by his lack of limbs-- is a boring, awful third-party choice when there are clearly better characters available that fans clamour for. Was Rayman ever, ever considered to be a popular character, at any point since the character's inception? I think not. I would rather have Snake back, or a multitude of not shit third-party characters.

If Rayman has some unique gimmick ala the majority of the newcomers, fine, whatever, they made him work. It still doesn't make him a good choice for Smash, is all I'm saying.

Annnd we're back to pre-release mode, where people throw tantrums and find the concept of characters that they don't personally like being enjoyed by others impossible, damn DLC!

I personally care little about Rayman, but new characters are always cool by me.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rayman hits a very interesting niche in the selection of fighters because while he is a punch and kick fighter that lack of limbs is going to make for some more interesting functioning attacks. Knowing Sakurai this is the reason he was picked as an additional fighter. He will certainly be a fun character to play around with. As for more "deserving" third party characters its clear that Sakurai enjoys the third party characters with a wide breadth of games and iconic in some way. Raymin has a long history, although not very linked to Nintendo, he fits the bill well enough.

inb4 mouth breathers tell me Shulk is third party when Monolithsoft is owned by Nintendo.

Rayman makes me mad but I agree with Layell on this honestly and I would be stoked if he gets the ole Dhalsim hard punch treatment. Sakurai legitimately cares about his games even if he's a weird as fuck dude and I think he probably played a LOT of videogames to make Smash as well. I hate Ice Climbers with a passion but was there anything more creative than them in Melee

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We need Snake :[

also Yoshi King how could Dark Pit piss you off more than Lucina lol, she's just Marth with no tipper, slightly shorter (making her reach slightly shorter also, and increasing the kill percents for uthrow), and a different animation for shieldbreaker.

We need Snake :[

also Yoshi King how could Dark Pit piss you off more than Lucina lol, she's just Marth with no tipper, slightly shorter (making her reach slightly shorter also, and increasing the kill percents for uthrow), and a different animation for shieldbreaker.
I'd love for Snake to come back, personally...

Lucina pisses me off less exactly for the reasons you listed. She has actual, quantifiable differences that set her apart from Marth. Sure, they make her worse, but at least they're differences and not stupid favouritism for a series that Sakurai himself rebooted. She may not be Roy, but I'll live.

Nitewolf, I think you made a good point-- I'm not trying to bitch but I was displeased. Personally I hate Pacman but I at least saw the reasons for his inclusion in smash, whereas Rayman... Yeah. I disagree with the notion that he is as beloved or well-known in the gaming community as other characters. Still, I've been a bit too aggressive.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well, I had to guess the likelyness that a professional spent an inordinate amount of time on a side project, or Rayman was in Smash 4. I can't even think of a single other time in any game that a professional went through this much trouble to make a fake leak, so I made a pretty educated guess.

And for once... someone actually did spend that time. Unbelievable.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, I had to guess the likelyness that a professional spent an inordinate amount of time on a side project, or Rayman was in Smash 4. I can't even think of a single other time in any game that a professional went through this much trouble to make a fake leak, so I made a pretty educated guess.

And for once... someone actually did spend that time. Unbelievable.
Yeah but, you thought they had spent three months on this just because Sm4sh was out three months. I've done enough video editing to know this was maaaybe a weekend project.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Really good work on his part. I figured it was fake in the first place, but now seeing how he did it was very impressive. Hopefully this sits in the minds of people that assume everything is real and can improve their abilities to either spot fakes, or at least not be so damn gullible.

Really good work on his part. I figured it was fake in the first place, but now seeing how he did it was very impressive. Hopefully this sits in the minds of people that assume everything is real and can improve their abilities to either spot fakes, or at least not be so damn gullible.
"Not be so damn gullible." Right because NOBODY critiqued this to hell and back and couldn't find any damn flaws with it because of how good it is. You have no idea how irritating that sounds lol.

Still, nice effort from the faker, I'm actually incredibly envious of his skills, specifically his artwork and if I could be at least a half as good as him I would be so content.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
"Not be so damn gullible." Right because NOBODY critiqued this to hell and back and couldn't find any damn flaws with it because of how good it is. You have no idea how irritating that sounds lol.

Still, nice effort from the faker, I'm actually incredibly envious of his skills, specifically his artwork and if I could be at least a half as good as him I would be so content.
In my defense, I can't even tell you how many people came up to me saying Rayman was confirmed for DLC. It was frustrating.

tbqh, i wouldn't mind rayman being in smash 4. he would be a unique fighter (lol) with moves based on origins / legends, rayman 2 (lol ported mess. lums) and rayman 3 with the power cans.
Of course all of this is silly speculation. what I'm saying is that I would be fine with Rayman being in but that's just overselling the fake leak and shit.

.... we need snack back. snack was unique as fucking brawl metaknight with ridiculous hitboxes.

Along with the other dozen Olimar/Reflector teams that are found to pop up? And until it gets inevitably banned, right? ;D

Not gonna lie, I tried it out yesterday, and it was hilarious, I kinda wish Ultra Pikmin were Olimar's new Final Smash.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As an Olimar main, this excites me. GlassGlaceon, ready your Falco. We're gonna take the doubles metagame by storm.
The writeup suggests that Falco's moving reflector is a bad way to use this. If anyone does want to do this, I think the best partner would be Fox, or maybe Pit since you can pressure them with arrows.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
The writeup suggests that Falco's moving reflector is a bad way to use this. If anyone does want to do this, I think the best partner would be Fox, or maybe Pit since you can pressure them with arrows.
You'd probably have to be super precise with Falco's reflector, but I'm sure it could work to some extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)