Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
tbh if you're running adamant 252/252 is probly still the best

You speed tie 115 that way, and with Starmie having a resurgence into the meta and the rare Serp now popping up it's probly best to have at least a shot at dealing with them. At the very least you need to break 111, especially for lum so Thundy can't deal with you.

I did a few calcs to try to see if changing your EV spread gave you a better chance against some common priority moves. I tested at 0HP/4DEF and 112HP/0DEF, since, as previously stated in the thread, outspeeding 110's (megagross) at +1, seems pretty important so investing any more into HP seems foolish (for a DD set).
Azumaril:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 102-121 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 103-123 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- 70.7% chance to 3HKO
Bisharp:
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 120-142 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 120-142 (36 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Breloom:
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 186-222 (60.9 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 186-222 (55.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Scizor:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 278-330 (91.1 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 278-330 (83.4 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Conkeldur:
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 132-156 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 134-158 (40.2 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Mamoswine:
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 148-174 (48.5 - 57%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 151-179 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO
Talonflame(kek):
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 101-119 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 102-120 (30.6 - 36%) -- 45.1% chance to 3HKO
TL;DR
the damage shift seems pretty minimal overall, and nothing really changed from say a 3HKO to a 2HKO ,except scizor but taking 99% ends you anyway, so trying to minimize priority damage seems kinda unnecessary to me.

On the viability thread, there's a dhaky consensus that the CB set will be the best set tyrantrum can use in OU.

I was wondering though, what notable threats get outsped by TTrum at +1 jolly/adamant?

If it turns out that it can at least outspeed base 110's then maybe a rock head life orb set won't be so bad.

I see at least three possible sets worth testing, CB, DD, and LO Rock Polish (Dance).
In OU, CB gives Tyrantrum a simple mandate to spam Head Smash at every opportunity.
The other sets need a setup opportunity but Ty might just have enough going for it to make them worthwhile.
It's going to be even better in its current tier (RU). I wonder if it's going to stay there.

There's a lot of fighters in UU that may give it trouble

I don't want to get too optimistic (I was really sad when it didn't get an OU analysis back in the day)

I think adamant RP with LO jolly DD with LO will give it flexibility in exchange for immediate raw power

Yeah, I was a fan too but it just didn't have the tools at first. I'm just glad Tyrantrum is able to occupy its proper niche now.
The other users of recoil-free Head Smash are all slower and weaker so it definitely has something going for it.
I'm not sure if it'll rise to UU by usage but there will certainly be a debate about it's power.

On the viability thread, there's a dhaky consensus that the CB set will be the best set tyrantrum can use in OU.

I was wondering though, what notable threats get outsped by TTrum at +1 jolly/adamant?

If it turns out that it can at least outspeed base 110's then maybe a rock head life orb set won't be so bad.
Jolly +1 will outspeed 130s but comes up painfully just short against 135s, which means mega lopunny can always stop the sweep with HJK

Jolly +1 will outspeed 130s but comes up painfully just short against 135s, which means mega lopunny can always stop the sweep with HJK
As a sweeper that's kind if disappointing. I suppose he would do better to go CB instead. It's too unreliably to count on setting up two dragon dances with his special defense and the plethora of mons that can easily dispatch of him.

Then again, with so few things being able to handle head smash, maybe a boosting set is worth it.

I think the best coverage is the standard equake, ice and fire fang alongside head smash, no matter which set is used.

Dragon dance, frankly, is too easily revenged by anything with decent speed. Life orb rock polish is the only setup worth making, as the only choice there is between adamant and jolly for choice scarf Latios. Head smash does plenty of damage, and doesn't take too terribly much coverage/support to patch.

Last edited:
The Rock Pokemon that are faster than base 71 can probably be counted on one hand
(hmm... Terrakion, MegaDiancie, Aerodactyl, Archeops, Kabutops).
We're actually REALLY lucky GF didn't make Tyrantrum a snail.

Jolly DD is not horrendously slow. It outpaces base 130s which was once a decent benchmark (lol).
Even now, the only OU Pokemon I can think of right away that are naturally faster are Megas Lopunny and Manectric.
Scarfers are a problem but Knock Off is everywhere this gen and any team is unlikely to have more than a couple.

I also suspect that LO Rock Polish may turn out to be the more reliable set but I think DD could shine with support or against slower teams.
This sweeper would love Sticky Web. After a DD, the base 135 Megas would be eaten along with most scarfers (under base 130).
I'm not hyping Tyrantrum too much because it does have flaws (eg. weak to common priority) but I look forward to playing with it.

Always been a fan of this poke due to it's design, glad it has rock head now. All it really needs is removal of mach punch/bullet punch and scarfers and a setup bait poke and it can sweep what's left. Lum Berry will be insane V stall.

Thinking this might become one of the best birdpam checks, unless CB Steel Wing becomes popular like CB Flame was in early XY.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
According to Serebii, the distribution is being delayed to the 17th to allow for maintenance of the Global Link. Or something.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Tyrantrum does get Rock Head. In Japan, they are going to get a Sturdy Tyrunt (If Tyrunt gets any kind of priority which it probably doesn't, there's gonna be a FEAR of it), which means Rock Head Tyrantrum. Scary.

Tyrantrum is ok in OU. I do see them around from time to time. I like using Dragon Dance, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang and Ice Fang. Yeah, there's no STAB but hey, it's not bad. Just use a Life Orb or Focus Sash.

Tyrantrum does get Rock Head. In Japan, they are going to get a Sturdy Tyrunt (If Tyrunt gets any kind of priority which it probably doesn't, there's gonna be a FEAR of it), which means Rock Head Tyrantrum. Scary.

Tyrantrum is ok in OU. I do see them around from time to time. I like using Dragon Dance, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang and Ice Fang. Yeah, there's no STAB but hey, it's not bad. Just use a Life Orb or Focus Sash.
Every country's getting Rock Head Tyrantrum. That's why this thread's been brought up recently lol :U

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Every country's getting Rock Head Tyrantrum. That's why this thread's been brought up recently lol :U
Obviously. Even if some don't the Japanese will be breeding it like it's going out of style and then Wonder Traders will get them and then they'll be all over the Facebook Groups.

No, the Tyrunt is a prize for entering the most recent PSS Tournament, which was international, if memory serves, if you fought in 3 or more battles you can get the Tyrunt.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm to lazy to go check the details, working off memory ATM.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
No, the Tyrunt is a prize for entering the most recent PSS Tournament, which was international, if memory serves, if you fought in 3 or more battles you can get the Tyrunt.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm to lazy to go check the details, working off memory ATM.
You are correct.

So what partners do you like to use with tyrantrum? offensive partners that can pressure your checks or defensive partners that help cover your weaknesses?

I've had some success with M-venusaur, venu loves anyone who can cover his flying weakness and tyrantrum loves a partner that can deal with keldeo and fairy types.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)