Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
about to breed up a shiny Bisharp. What ball would match it best? Pondering between a dive ball (blue/white) and the net ball (blue/white/black) or something else if you can recommend a better one. (Too bad moon ball is perfect)
You pretty much nailed it with those two. The only thing to decide now is which entrance animation you like more. Personally, I'd probably go with Dive, as I like to keep Net for bugs, water-types and slow-mons.

about to breed up a shiny Bisharp. What ball would match it best? Pondering between a dive ball (blue/white) and the net ball (blue/white/black) or something else if you can recommend a better one. (Too bad moon ball is perfect)

I like Great Ball a lot for Bisharp since the red is a nice callback to the non-shiny form.

By the way, you may want to post questions like these in the Wifi SQSR thread, where people tend to be more interested in this sort of thing.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like rufus said, you should try in the Wi-Fi forum. To answer your question; I personally like the Quick Ball since it matches the colour scheme and has a cool animation when the Pokemon is sent out

It's trade, so IDK lol..
I'll look when I get time xD
If it's been traded to you and it's not passing through PokeBank / Transporter then it has been hacked. In the future, you should direct these sorts of questions to the Hack Check thread.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Does anyone know the crit ratio for R/B Scyther's Slash after a focus energy boost drop? I'm currently playing through Red and want to use Scyther on my team for kicks, but due to the critical hit mechanics as well as Slash's mechanics in Gen I, Swords Dance/Slash is rather counter-productive. I know FE actually drops the crit ratio in R/B instead of boosting it, but is it worth running it as my 4th move?

The end moveset will probably be SD/Slash/Hyper Beam/ and either FE or Quick Attack (gotta love Gen I movepools). Does the change in the crit ratio justify using Focus energy over Quick Attack, or whatever else Scyther can learn?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know the crit ratio for R/B Scyther's Slash after a focus energy boost drop? I'm currently playing through Red and want to use Scyther on my team for kicks, but due to the critical hit mechanics as well as Slash's mechanics in Gen I, Swords Dance/Slash is rather counter-productive. I know FE actually drops the crit ratio in R/B instead of boosting it, but is it worth running it as my 4th move?

The end moveset will probably be SD/Slash/Hyper Beam/ and either FE or Quick Attack (gotta love Gen I movepools). Does the change in the crit ratio justify using Focus energy over Quick Attack, or whatever else Scyther can learn?
It was (after a Focus Energy) Base Speed / 2048, so you'd have 105/2048 = .051269531 or 1 in 19.5.
(Just in case it's Base Speed / 512 without the "boost".)

There is no reason to run Focus Energy as a move, as all it does is lower the Critical Hit Ratio (AFAIK).

Double Team could work but bleh.
Edit:
Ohhh, Slash. Sorry I missed that part before (or at least read it, and ignored the higher critical hit percentage of Slash).
Then it would indeed be 8 times as likely as Vaporeonice kindly pointed out, so it'd be 105/256=.41015625 or 1 in 2.44. It is of course 105/64 ~= 1 without the Focus Energy though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xen
It was (after a Focus Energy) Base Speed / 2048, so you'd have 105/2048 = .051269531 or 1 in 19.5.
(Just in case it's Base Speed / 512 without the "boost".)

There is no reason to run Focus Energy as a move, as all it does is lower the Critical Hit Ratio (AFAIK).
Double Team could work but bleh.
I think the idea is that you Swords Dance to +6 and attack with Slash. You need Focus Energy to lower the crit rate, since a +6 crit Slash would do less damage than a +6 non-crit Slash in Gen 1.

According to Bulbapedia, moves with a boosted crit rate are eight times as likely to crit, meaning Scyther would have a 41% chance to crit with Slash.

This may sound stupid (ie IS), but i was wondering, with regards to substitute, is it generally accepted that the more HP evs you can put into your 'mon, the better?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This may sound stupid (ie IS), but i was wondering, with regards to substitute, is it generally accepted that the more HP evs you can put into your 'mon, the better?
Well sort of, a Sub has 25% of your total HP, so the more HP you have the higher HP the sub will have. It doesn't necessarily mean it's better to do that though. Set Up sweepers that rely on Substitute to avoid status shouldn't overly invest in HP to have a bulkier Sub, as going for max (special) attack and speed is usually preferred. Not many attacks in general do less than 25% to anything these days due to PowerCreep™ so it's not like any Subs are going to be living more than two hits anyway. I assume you're asking for the Maison? (why not just post there?) Since OI isn't the best place to ask for battling stuff like this. You should cross reference the Maison Pokemon setlist (in the OP of the Maison thread) and see if there is anything that you can force to do less than 25% max so your Sub would live an extra hit, otherwise just go max offenses...

edit: wait aren't you using Blaziken as a dedicated BPer? It should have max HP anyway...

It was just a general question on the mechanics of substitute in game, nothing to do with my Maison run, that's why I thought it should go here. Thanks for the help over in the Maison thread though.

I can't find a thing on Tyrunt in my Global Link. I participated in 3 battles during the BoH competition, I've logged in to Global Link, looked for ages and no Tyrunt thing. What's going on?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Where would the best place to grind in pokemon Y be, pre E4. I'm doing a nuzlocke so I absolutely can't risk my pokemon die.
Pre-E4 grinding is normally pretty easy in XY as there are plenty of trainers and you've got the Battle Chateau (like Codraroll ninja'd me with) but if you're afraid of letting your stuff die, go visit Restaurant Le Yeah on Autumnal Avenue. The 'mons are in the 30s so they should offer OK exp. and are easy enough to kill also. If stuff faints there they are revived after the battle, so in my mind that should be a loophole to the whole nuzlocke thing. But if fainting there counts as a death to you then you may as well just do the Chateau..

edit: The Chateau can be risky though as you don't know what rank your opponent is (and therefor what level their Pokemon are) so you could end up running into someone with high levelled stuff and losing a Pokemon to them. This is assuming you are a high rank yourself, if you're low then everyone else will be

Battle Chateau would be your best bet, I think. Level up to Duke (I think) and you'll start seeing Audino. Never worry about anything ever again.
Levelling up to duke from baron would take forever though :/
Pre-E4 grinding is normally pretty easy in XY as there are plenty of trainers and you've got the Battle Chateau (like Codraroll ninja'd me with) but if you're afraid of letting your stuff die, go visit Restaurant Le Yeah on Autumnal Avenue. The 'mons are in the 30s so they should offer OK exp. and are easy enough to kill also. If stuff faints there they are revived after the battle, so in my mind that should be a loophole to the whole nuzlocke thing. But if fainting there counts as a death to you then you may as well just do the Chateau..

edit: The Chateau can be risky though as you don't know what rank your opponent is (and therefor what level their Pokemon are) so you could end up running into someone with high levelled stuff and losing a Pokemon to them. This is assuming you are a high rank yourself, if you're low then everyone else will be
I think ill try the restaurant, I doubt anything will die from level 31's (though I disagree with the loophole thing, all deaths are final)
Thanks to both of you ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)