2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With CL coming up, getting that little bit of confidence and belief back will do them the world of good. Predictions for CL final this year? I have a feeling Barca might sneak in there along with a surprise. Maybe even Chelsea or Arsenal. RM and Bayern *should* be there but you know how CL always throws up a surprise.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With CL coming up, getting that little bit of confidence and belief back will do them the world of good. Predictions for CL final this year? I have a feeling Barca might sneak in there along with a surprise. Maybe even Chelsea or Arsenal. RM and Bayern *should* be there but you know how CL always throws up a surprise.
To be fair I see Borussia Dortmund still losing from Juventus.

I don't see Barcelona strong enough to beat Real Madrid or Bayern München, as Real Madrid is a really dominant force and did beat Barcelona earlier this season and Bayern München is a very good team anyways.

I don't see Chelsea winning yet, but maybe 1-2 years from now and then maybe. Their team is really good, with enough defensive reliablity and much creativity in the offense.
To be fair I don't see Arsenal winning Champions League in a long time. They're simply just not good enough to beat München, Real Madrid or Chelsea.

To be fair I see Borussia Dortmund still losing from Juventus.

I don't see Barcelona strong enough to beat Real Madrid or Bayern München, as Real Madrid is a really dominant force and did beat Barcelona earlier this season and Bayern München is a very good team anyways.

I don't see Chelsea winning yet, but maybe 1-2 years from now and then maybe. Their team is really good, with enough defensive reliablity and much creativity in the offense.
To be fair I don't see Arsenal winning Champions League in a long time. They're simply just not good enough to beat München, Real Madrid or Chelsea.
juve arent as strong in europe as they should be so that fixture is still up for grab. Munchen, madrid should get to semi's, I just wonder how Chelsea's squad will hold up after getting through some of their rounds. Barca should still make it fine and be an underdog to win but have around Chelsea's chances to win I would say. Bayern and Madrid are clear favorites, barca and chelsea come next for me

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
juve arent as strong in europe as they should be so that fixture is still up for grab. Munchen, madrid should get to semi's, I just wonder how Chelsea's squad will hold up after getting through some of their rounds. Barca should still make it fine and be an underdog to win but have around Chelsea's chances to win I would say. Bayern and Madrid are clear favorites, barca and chelsea come next for me
It's known that Juve isn't strong in Europe but still, I see Juventus going through the round instead of Dortmund. Don't let the 4-2 of today fool you. Weidenfeller is a bad keeper nowadays, our defenders play like rookies and if it wasn't for Reus we would've drawn or even lost. We just won in the final 20 minutes against a club like Mainz, a team we should relatively easily win from.

My favourites for the Champions League are obviously München and Real Madrid but I think Chelsea has a better chance than Barcelona. More like I see Chelsea winning from Barcelona. But considering Messi + Neymar is becoming better and better every match it's debatable.

It's known that Juve isn't strong in Europe but still, I see Juventus going through the round instead of Dortmund. Don't let the 4-2 of today fool you. Weidenfeller is a bad keeper nowadays, our defenders play like rookies and if it wasn't for Reus we would've drawn or even lost. We just won in the final 20 minutes against a club like Mainz, a team we should relatively easily win from.

My favourites for the Champions League are obviously München and Real Madrid but I think Chelsea has a better chance than Barcelona. More like I see Chelsea winning from Barcelona. But considering Messi + Neymar is becoming better and better every match it's debatable.
But dortmund played strong earlier this season in champions league while struggling in the bundesliga. Although its hard to judge that to be fair

I just feel RM might start to tire and they already suffer from injuries, but the smart money would still be on them. Barcelona is a great dark horse to back, esp. with players improving their understanding, they can only get better from now imo. Chelsea I can see being there but again their top players have played many minutes and some small injuries are starting to creep in which is a worry. Bayern are strong and I can't really imagine them losing to anyone, even RM, but that's why I'm not backing them. You never back who you really think will win coz they never do!

Arsenal is kinda a joke answer, the midfield is too weak without Ramsey or Wilshere in top form and they're both injured. I'm excited for Wilshere coming back though, a lot of people have kinda lost faith in him (again) but if only he stops getting injured he will prove to be a player of the highest quality, there's no doubt in my mind he'll be first choice when fully fit.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Dortmund have been like a different team in Europe, their poor domestic didn't seem to affect their Champions League campaign. Juventus are the exact opposite, they've been great domestically, as they always are, but not as much in Europe. I expect Dortmund to edge through. City will be hard to beat at the Etihad but Barça has enough firepower to muscle their way into the next round. As for us, we should be able to beat PSG at home and get a draw, at the very least, in Paris. All the other ties are pretty obvious.

and if that challenge was outfield, it would still be pulled up for a reckless challenge regardless if the player fell over.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
wasn't a penalty in my book, but i can understand why it was given. phalanx if that happens anywhere else on the pitch the player hurdles the challenge and goes to get the ball, rooney decided just to flop to the ground after jumping over the challenge. if you ask me, thats simulation.

don't get how people can think the 1st goal was offside. rooney doesn't touch the ball and is nowhere near the keeper's eyeline to be classed as interfering with play. preston's keeper reacted too slowly to the ball thats all.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wasn't a penalty in my book, but i can understand why it was given. phalanx if that happens anywhere else on the pitch the player hurdles the challenge and goes to get the ball, rooney decided just to flop to the ground after jumping over the challenge. if you ask me, thats simulation.

don't get how people can think the 1st goal was offside. rooney doesn't touch the ball and is nowhere near the keeper's eyeline to be classed as interfering with play. preston's keeper reacted too slowly to the ball thats all.
Rooney could plausibly touch the ball, then he is offsides, because he therefore is interfering with the play because he significantly impacts how the keeper has to play the shot, because he has to be alert to the possibility of rooney deflecting the shot.

Unfortunately, the rule leaves an immense amount of what interfering with the play is up to the referee, so we see enormous inconsistency on whether these types of cases are called.

HBK

So excited for tonight's games; there really is nothing like the feeling of Champions League nights. Maybe it's just me, but the Champions League is even more exciting than the Euro or the World Cup. Like the difference between ultimate team and seasons on FIFA.

UCL PLAYOFFS HYPE!!!!

alright so this is my opinion on the remaining teams:

UCL Playoffs Viability Ranking Tier List

S rank: Reserved for teams that are the pinnacle of the UCL metagame. These teams are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted.

Bayern München
Real Madrid

A Rank: Reserved for teams that are fantastic in the UCL metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall* significant portions of the metagame. These teams require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits.

*Chelsea only

A+ rank

Atletico de Madrid
Barcelona
Chelsea
PSG

A rank

Borussia Dortmund
Manchester City

A- rank

Juventus

B Rank: Reserved for teams that are great in the UCL metagame. These teams have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier.

B+ rank

Arsenal
Schalke 04

B rank

Bayer Leverkusen
Shakhtar Donetsk

B- rank

Monaco
FC Porto

C Rank: basel has no chances rip :[

FC Based

edit: @ below, i had forgotten porto, thx for reminding me lol

Last edited:

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah CL nights are the best. The World Cup was better as a kid but I prefer CL now!
maybe its because leeds aren't in the cl but i dont know better football experiences than being with all your mates in the pub watching england play (and win) in a world cup

other than going to the games obv

shade: maybe it's because England have been so disappointing at the last world cups, and England winning coincided with me being younger in 06, 02 and 98 and enjoying those world cups...

also

HBK

1-1, just as I expected. Ivanovic's goal was a real beauty, great cross from Terry(can't believe I'm saying this) and a nice flick from Cahill. Courtois was easily the MOTM tonight. Good result for us, a nil-nil draw at home is what Mourinho will probably go for. I didn't expect Bayern to win by a landslide tonight but I didn't expect a nil-nil either. Lol what if Shakhtar win 1-0 in Munich!?

psg deserved to win imo. created way more chances. but courtois is a brick wall. you can't win football matches when a goalkeeper is in that kind of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)