The International Challenge February [Online Competition]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

If practicing for VGC on Battle Spot Doubles wasn't enough, then look no further than the next next Battle Spot competition!

PGL said:
Get ready to compete in the 2015 International Challenge February, an online competition that will pit you against players from around the world. In this online competition, you'll compete in Double Battles using nearly every known Pokémon—but the Pokémon must have been acquired in Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. All Pokémon above Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the battles. See the regulations for a complete list of eligible Pokémon.

Registration for the 2015 International Challenge February begins Thursday, February 19, 2015, at 00:00 UTC. You'll need aPokémon Trainer Club account and your own copy of the Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire video game with a party of eligible Pokémon. And you’ll need to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link before the battle period begins.

For more information on the 2015 International Challenge February, keep checking Pokemon.com and the Pokémon Global Link!
Regulations said:
Sign-Up Period
Thursday, February 19, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, February 26, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, February 27, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, March 1, 2015, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2000 or later
Masters Division: Born 1999 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
Friday, March 6, 2015 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 719, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie.
• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter cannot participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• Players cannot register two or more of the same Pokémon.
• Players cannot have two or more of the same item.
• The item Soul Dew is not allowed.
• A 15-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 45 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 10 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Notice
• There will be no Championship Points awarded for the first International Challenge. Use this competition as a chance to prepare your team for the Pokémon World Championships!

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.
tl;dr
  • VGC15 ruleset (doubles, national dex (excluding box legends / mythical Pokemon, pentagon only)
  • Signups: Thursday, February 19, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, February 26, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
  • Competition date: Friday, February 27, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, March 1, 2015, at 23:59 UTC

How much different is doubles over singles. I've always wanted to start getting involved with Doubles/Triples but limited time and what-not.

How much different is doubles over singles. I've always wanted to start getting involved with Doubles/Triples but limited time and what-not.
There's a pretty substantial difference between doubles and singles but less so between doubles and triples. In my experience.

Doubles is very different than singles. IMO, doubles is a lot more fun ;)

Doubles opens up new options and strategies. Some things that aren't very useful in singles, such as Fake-Out, are much more useful when you have another pokemon on the field to take advantage of the momentum in the same turn. Also, you need to think about synergy in different ways; you don't want to accidentally kill your partner with Earthquake!

I'm definitely entering this competition. I should do more matches with my team to find out what I can improve. ;)

I think this competition will be a blast - I like doubles a lot more than singles 3v3 format.
And since there are no unusual restrictions this will be just like any ol' VGC match which leaves us open to a lot of different strategies.

I'm definitely entering this competition. I should do more matches with my team to find out what I can improve. ;)
Yes, bitch, you should. ;P

And I should finish mine /before/ the second day of the tourney unlike last time. And if I'm REALLY lucky, I'll get past 1550.
What's prize for this one? Internationals are usually 1000 poke miles iirc.

First day battling and so far I'm 4-6... But it should have technically been 6-4. Stupid internet has this thing where it decides that I lose because I'm winning. That feeling when you literally witness yourself dealing the finishing blow, but it's counted as a loss for you. It's not a fun feeling. ;__;

Can't find any opponents right now, so I guess I'll wait a bit to battle more. xD

EDIT: 10-10 Woo xD

Last edited:
Didn't have much time for this International (Friday was #SmogonVGC tourney, Saturday I only got 4 hours because work, Sunday I'll be busy all day), but out of my 6 battles I got 5 wins and 1 absolute "what the serious fuck" haxloss. Considering the amazing Mienshao sweep on the last battle, I'm calling it good on battles. Will get score/ranking/team when its all posted on Global Link.

7-3 the first day , and today was 4-0 but ill be busy to play more games :( , my 3 loose was to Hydreigon's Draco Meteor misses ... i just cant believe it misses 6 times !!!

So the competition's over now; I had a lot of fun with it, and ended up 16-6 (I didn't have time to do the whole 30 battles) with a ranking of about 1635. Not too bad, all things considered.

One thing in particular that I did that I definitely think helped me is that I only did one or two battles every so often. Although it means I didn't get all the battles in, when I get riled up by battles (which happens very easily), I tend to make rash decisions which of course leads to me doing stupid moves. Spreading out the battles meant that I could clear my head and re-focus.

I used a HO team of Suicune, Breloom, Mega Metagross, Heatran, Thundurus, and Terrakion. I had two main leads, one being Suicune and Breloom, with the intent to set up Tailwind while sleeping stuff with Spore, while my other lead was Heatran and Thundurus, which aimed to put immediate offensive pressure on the opponent. I almost never led with Terrakion, despite Quick Guard, because of the omnipresence of Scarf Lando-T. By far the most awkward enemy lead to face is Megazard Y + Lando, because Zard kills Suicune and Metagross, my two Landorus counters, and Landorus kills Terrakion and severely damages Thundurus, my two Charizard counters.

One thing I noticed was that I didn't see Mega Kangaskhan as often as I thought I would. Granted, this may be because I just barely made it out of low ladder (I consider the line between low and mid to be ~1620), but I definitely expected to see more of them.

One video in particular of a really good battle I had, in which my opponent actually did use Mega Kanga: CH7W-WWWW-WWXH-83FG

I think that was a suitable 500th post. :P

Ended up at 13-15 because my internet decided that I should lose 11 battles that I didn't actually lose (one of them I actually won). I got a new router, though, so we'll see if I will actually be allowed to win now.

So yeah..

I was pretty busy this last weekend so I only got 9 total battles in. I went 3-6, not good, but I am having more and more fun during the battles, and am also learning a lot about the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)